Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 744017 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4710 on: October 07, 2021, 12:34:16 PM »
FWIW, I've been running my torn ACE AF1 cups (which they replaced with new, which I sold off with my 55 AF1s) in some Indys for a while now (along with ACE bushings) with no issues; they fit great, and didn't melt/shred any further like they would have in my set of AF1s (which had a noticeable flaw in the milling).

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4711 on: October 07, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
Does anyone know the definitive reason some people are tearing pivot cups and some aren’t? Is it just inconsistent
quality control?

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4712 on: October 07, 2021, 02:14:58 PM »
Damn, just noticed that one of my pivot cups is starting to tear, after about 4 sessions on them. Bummed, but I like the way the AF1 turns. Does anyone have any experience replacing them with Ace Classic or Indy cups?

Issue is the AF1 cups are bigger than normal so a standard cup has some wiggle which drives me crazy, some people may not care. And right now I don’t believe there’s any other manufacturer making AF1 size pivot cups. Maybe why ace is being lenient with sending free ones if you contact them. Not sure if geometry issue or the urethane is just too soft.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4713 on: October 07, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Does anyone know the definitive reason some people are tearing pivot cups and some aren’t? Is it just inconsistent
quality control?

Here is my theory:

When I got my 77s, I made sure the pivot cavity was perfect.  After 6 or so sessions, I noticed the cup was ripped and I suddenly had a small divot on the right side of the baseplate pivot cavity.

I think after tearing the cup, the hanger was making contact with this.  Basically metal on metal.  Now replacement cups tear in 20 minutes because they get compressed and rip in the same area.

So it’s either the geometry putting extra stress on the pivot or just soft shitty cups

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4714 on: October 07, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
Don't know if this was covered or not back when the AF1's first started appearing in the wild. Since the cups themselves are obviously bigger, is the hanger nub also bigger? Or is it just the pivot hole in the baseplate that's been enlarged and the pivot cups have thicker sidewalls?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4715 on: October 08, 2021, 09:40:55 AM »
Expand Quote
quality control?
[close]

Here is my theory:

When I got my 77s, I made sure the pivot cavity was perfect.  After 6 or so sessions, I noticed the cup was ripped and I suddenly had a small divot on the right side of the baseplate pivot cavity.

I think after tearing the cup, the hanger was making contact with this.  Basically metal on metal.  Now replacement cups tear in 20 minutes because they get compressed and rip in the same area.

So it’s either the geometry putting extra stress on the pivot or just soft shitty cups

This.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4716 on: October 08, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
Expand Quote
quality control?
[close]

Here is my theory:

shitty pivot cup quality has happened to a large stock of Indy HIs around the time they released the mid.
Shitty quality rapidly makes a hole in your pivot cup and the head of the hanger that goes there just grinds the inside of the baseplate well.
it quickly gets sharper and pointier and your hanger is fucked, ripping through cups

you can try to sand the hanger head to make it rounder and remove the edges. You'll lost some matter, it might change the geometry a lil bit but you can maybe make it work. It's probably too late though

It's a defect, no question.
You deserve a new truck from ACE (at least a new hanger), tell them
they already know...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:52:32 AM by BALARGUE »

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #4717 on: October 08, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »
Don't know if this was covered or not back when the AF1's first started appearing in the wild. Since the cups themselves are obviously bigger, is the hanger nub also bigger? Or is it just the pivot hole in the baseplate that's been enlarged and the pivot cups have thicker sidewalls?

Ace's pivot nub on the hanger of AF1's is too small for their own baseplates. The pivot cup being so squishy as well, it just ends up widening as they break in and there's a lot of back and forth play. Probably has a lot to do with why they sound weird, too. Putting a classic pivot cup in there or Riptide is even worse, you will have so much side to side play that it will warp the metal pivot cavity. AF1 hangers do not work with classics baseplates due to the pivot cavity being so wide, and their claim that classics cups and AF1 cups are interchangeable is definitely false. AF1's are just another reboot of a truck that needs R&D just like Ace classics through their entire lifespan of stages.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4718 on: October 08, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace's pivot nub on the hanger of AF1's is too small for their own baseplates. The pivot cup being so squishy as well, it just ends up widening as they break in and there's a lot of back and forth play. Probably has a lot to do with why they sound weird, too. Putting a classic pivot cup in there or Riptide is even worse, you will have so much side to side play that it will warp the metal pivot cavity. AF1 hangers do not work with classics baseplates due to the pivot cavity being so wide, and their claim that classics cups and AF1 cups are interchangeable is definitely false. AF1's are just another reboot of a truck that needs R&D just like Ace classics through their entire lifespan of stages.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the hanger nub on the AF1 is the same size as the classics, and that they've made a bigger baseplate hole and thicker urethane pivot cup? If so, your probably bang on as to what's happening.

The geometry itself probably isn't to blame. Theeve and Indy stage 8's (and earlier) are basically the exact same geometry and they never had constant pivot blow outs, other issues sure, but not shredded cups in one session.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4719 on: October 08, 2021, 06:54:00 PM »
I got two sets of the new Ace hard bushings today, and they feel exactly the same as the stock ones. Just putting that out there. Pardon the interruption.  ;D
I can feel a slight difference so far, but it has been raining for the past four days. I'll try to get a feel for them tonight. Also, note I've been into a few glasses of cheap aldi shiraz. Will report back.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #4720 on: October 08, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So if I'm understanding correctly, the hanger nub on the AF1 is the same size as the classics, and that they've made a bigger baseplate hole and thicker urethane pivot cup? If so, your probably bang on as to what's happening.

The geometry itself probably isn't to blame. Theeve and Indy stage 8's (and earlier) are basically the exact same geometry and they never had constant pivot blow outs, other issues sure, but not shredded cups in one session.

The pivot nub on AF1 hangers is definitely smaller than classics. Either it needs to be bigger, or they need to make the pivot cavity smaller, and the pivot cup durometer needs to be harder. They claim it's 96a like Riptide, but even tides maintain a slight firmness to them when you press them together with your fingers.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4721 on: October 09, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »
It would be interesting to see if there is enough of a problem with the pivot situation to warrant a re-haul. I wonder what the threshold is. Still haven't experienced any issues personally. Just wonder what proportion of AF1 users have this issue.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4722 on: October 09, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
It would be interesting to see if there is enough of a problem with the pivot situation to warrant a re-haul. I wonder what the threshold is. Still haven't experienced any issues personally. Just wonder what proportion of AF1 users have this issue.

Could someone start a new thread with a poll I don’t know how to. Would be interesting to see what percentage of AF1 users have pivot cup issues. Maybe people can post what the issue is specifically.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4723 on: October 09, 2021, 06:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could someone start a new thread with a poll I don’t know how to. Would be interesting to see what percentage of AF1 users have pivot cup issues. Maybe people can post what the issue is specifically.

So options like these:

1. No issues or damage
2. Pivot cup damage only
3. Pivot cup and baseplate damage
4. Pivot point on hanger, pivot cup and baseplate damage

EDIT:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=18.0

From the main Shoes and Gear board page, upper right has New Topic and New Poll options, which I assume are shown for everyone, regardless of membership.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:50:22 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4724 on: October 10, 2021, 04:31:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So options like these:

1. No issues or damage
2. Pivot cup damage only
3. Pivot cup and baseplate damage
4. Pivot point on hanger, pivot cup and baseplate damage

EDIT:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=18.0

From the main Shoes and Gear board page, upper right has New Topic and New Poll options, which I assume are shown for everyone, regardless of membership.

Done, made a new thread, removed the last option since it seemed too similar to the other options

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4725 on: October 10, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
I just bought some classic 55’s. It was definitely because of that old dude. Ha

Nah, I’m looking forward to them. They were hella discounted so fuck it.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #4726 on: October 11, 2021, 03:34:06 AM »
Oh, and it’s my understanding that Aces shorten your wheelbase??? I feel like I’ve definitely read that here but my brain isn’t working atm. Thanks in advance

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4727 on: October 11, 2021, 03:40:46 AM »
Oh, and it’s my understanding that Aces shorten your wheelbase??? I feel like I’ve definitely read that here but my brain isn’t working atm. Thanks in advance

Yes, they might be the "shortest" wheelbase of all, but the various bushings can change how they feel even more (including stock when new compared to when worn in) the consensus being not to touch them for the first session or more and then change slightly each session after that to the desired tightness.

Maybe I am just used to looser trucks, but the stock bushings from new were very firm, but the used sets I got from others were perfect.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4728 on: October 11, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, they might be the "shortest" wheelbase of all, but the various bushings can change how they feel even more (including stock when new compared to when worn in) the consensus being not to touch them for the first session or more and then change slightly each session after that to the desired tightness.

Maybe I am just used to looser trucks, but the stock bushings from new were very firm, but the used sets I got from others were perfect.
I also found them too firm when new, and had to back them nuts off a bit. Then they settled in, and I wound up loosening them up a touch more still.
I’ll say this much: I love that I can run a 56mm with no risers & still rarely ever hit wheel bite.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #4729 on: October 11, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks so much. I’m actually stoked to hear the stock bushings are hard as I’m quite heavy. Ive got either 54’s or 58’s to go on them as well and I’ve already got risers if needed. I skate my trucks right in the middle of loose and tight anyway so I think I’ll be straight. Thanks G’s!!!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4730 on: October 11, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
Fair warning my AF1s came with the softest bushings I have ever owned. I like loose trucks but I had to replace the top bushings with Krux as they did not firm up much after a few weeks of skateboarding.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #4731 on: October 12, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »
Fair warning my AF1s came with the softest bushings I have ever owned. I like loose trucks but I had to replace the top bushings with Krux as they did not firm up much after a few weeks of skateboarding.

Same here. They were so loose. Just replaced them with Ace hard bushings and they feel so much better.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #4732 on: October 15, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
Holy shit!!!! Just went for a quick cruise around the block and I’m shocked. Ace trucks might just be the best ever. I tightened them a fair bit but they felt so good straight off the bat!! I’m sold.

One thing is the bushings kept popping out. Does this go away or should I just get some harder ones?? My madness won’t let me skate them if I know they keep popping out. I’d loosen them, push the bushing back in place, then tighten them but it keeps happening.

But boy, I’m sold. They turn amazing. And felt great from the start.

It happens on the top and bottom. This photo was not the worst of it popping out either. It happened much worse I just didn’t take a pic.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4733 on: October 15, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
It will go away. But apparently they have better shaped washers now to eliminate that issue.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4734 on: October 15, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
My Ace occasionally develop a pop, and I take them apart and put a little wax on the washers and in the pivot cup, and it disappears for several more months.

I actually put my Ace 44 Classics back on for the first time after doing the Kreeper mod several months ago. Love these trucks, love the turn, love the grind. Slappys went noticeably further than with my Indys and I have no problem pinching crooks. Glad I bought a big 7/32 t-handle Allen tool for adjusting them though - something I’d recommend to anyone who does the mod.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4735 on: October 16, 2021, 08:59:51 AM »
Holy shit!!!! Just went for a quick cruise around the block and I’m shocked. Ace trucks might just be the best ever. I tightened them a fair bit but they felt so good straight off the bat!! I’m sold.

One thing is the bushings kept popping out. Does this go away or should I just get some harder ones?? My madness won’t let me skate them if I know they keep popping out. I’d loosen them, push the bushing back in place, then tighten them but it keeps happening.

But boy, I’m sold. They turn amazing. And felt great from the start.

It happens on the top and bottom. This photo was not the worst of it popping out either. It happened much worse I just didn’t take a pic.

You cranked them too far while still new, suggest easing off on the tight and let them break in / firm up before you do (or put on a flat washer for the time being).

Just that amazing ACE QC at work!

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4736 on: October 16, 2021, 01:01:38 PM »
It’s just gonna happen. No matter what. Just breathe and go with the flow. Wabi Sabi. Woo-sah.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #4737 on: October 16, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
Got my first set of Aces (AF1 66) I will try the stock bushings but I'm afraid that they will be too loose for me. I been riding bones hard bushings for the last 6 years in thunders, Indys and ventures.

Checking this thread just realized seems that Aces doesn't work well with bones hards. Aces hard bushings are not available in Europe yet. any other backup plan?

Thanks pals
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:08:35 PM by alraunen »

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #4738 on: October 16, 2021, 05:34:02 PM »

Just got some aloha af1 aces

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33