Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738866 times)

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 226
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4740 on: October 16, 2021, 06:51:39 PM »
ive said the same thing to myself

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4741 on: October 16, 2021, 06:52:12 PM »

Just got some aloha af1 aces

Good God, I could never rock those but they are a thing of beauty. May your curbs and pool coping go easy on them.

lilboosie

« Reply #4742 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
oh yea they are waiting to get scratched up!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4743 on: October 16, 2021, 07:32:18 PM »
Got my first set of Aces (AF1 66) I will try the stock bushings but I'm afraid that they will be too loose for me. I been riding bones hard bushings for the last 6 years in thunders, Indys and ventures.

Checking this thread just realized seems that Aces doesn't work well with bones hards. Aces hard bushings are not available in Europe yet. any other backup plan?

Thanks pals

Try the stock bushings and see, but failing that, keep all washers from the normal bushings on when you use the Bones bushings and you should be fine.  Even put the small flat one that comes with the bones bushings on first before anything else, so it brings the bottom height up a touch.

Others I know do that and it works for them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4744 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
Holy shit!!!! Just went for a quick cruise around the block and I’m shocked. Ace trucks might just be the best ever. I tightened them a fair bit but they felt so good straight off the bat!! I’m sold.

One thing is the bushings kept popping out. Does this go away or should I just get some harder ones?? My madness won’t let me skate them if I know they keep popping out. I’d loosen them, push the bushing back in place, then tighten them but it keeps happening.

But boy, I’m sold. They turn amazing. And felt great from the start.

It happens on the top and bottom. This photo was not the worst of it popping out either. It happened much worse I just didn’t take a pic.

Ace Classic washers are too thick and too small in diameter. I always replace mine with Indy washers or any other generic bigger washers. You can get the trucks looser and it gets rid of the popping problem.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4745 on: October 16, 2021, 09:06:15 PM »
Holy shit!!!! Just went for a quick cruise around the block and I’m shocked. Ace trucks might just be the best ever. I tightened them a fair bit but they felt so good straight off the bat!! I’m sold.

One thing is the bushings kept popping out. Does this go away or should I just get some harder ones?? My madness won’t let me skate them if I know they keep popping out. I’d loosen them, push the bushing back in place, then tighten them but it keeps happening.

But boy, I’m sold. They turn amazing. And felt great from the start.

It happens on the top and bottom. This photo was not the worst of it popping out either. It happened much worse I just didn’t take a pic.

As those above said, the easiest way is to change out washers, but change out ALL the bushing washers with almost any other brand (that use cylinder and not conical bottoms) and they will not have that issue, eg any Indy stock bushings will work fine as I have done this with no further problems.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4746 on: October 16, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »
I cut this out of the previous message, then thought add it anyway.

The other option is a bit more technical, but still fairly easy and a cheap fix, in that you round off those edges that come out, either a knife or a good pair of scissors to trim off the edge, or something a bit less sophisticated such as rubbing them on an angle on griptape (but watch your knuckles) so the bushings have more of a rounded edge / tapered shape to them.

I have done this a lot to sets I have fixed for people, but don't have a pic right now of it. 

It works well enough too, without having to change out any parts on the existing trucks.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #4747 on: October 16, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »

Lunker

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4748 on: October 16, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »

animal crossing vibes, cute as fuck bro

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4749 on: October 16, 2021, 11:10:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Got my first set of Aces (AF1 66) I will try the stock bushings but I'm afraid that they will be too loose for me. I been riding bones hard bushings for the last 6 years in thunders, Indys and ventures.

Checking this thread just realized seems that Aces doesn't work well with bones hards. Aces hard bushings are not available in Europe yet. any other backup plan?

Thanks pals
[close]

Try the stock bushings and see, but failing that, keep all washers from the normal bushings on when you use the Bones bushings and you should be fine.  Even put the small flat one that comes with the bones bushings on first before anything else, so it brings the bottom height up a touch.

Solid advice if you use Bones with Ace.

I’m a big fan of Krux bushings with Ace. Krux are the same height as the stock ones. They’re just hard enough to be super stable but soft enough to get a nice deep carve (92a)

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #4750 on: October 17, 2021, 12:50:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks pals
[close]

[close]

I’m a big fan of Krux bushings with Ace. Krux are the same height as the stock ones. They’re just hard enough to be super stable but soft enough to get a nice deep carve (92a)

Thanks you guys, great advice for the Bones bushings. I even though about putting the small washer with the stock bushings to tight them a little bit more.

I also checked the krux bushings in this thread but I couldn't find them in any Euro shop. Even the distributor doesn't know that they exist :_)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 07:40:13 AM by alraunen »

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4751 on: October 17, 2021, 08:57:11 AM »

Skate community: fix the QC issues
Ace: mallcore colorway trucks

lilboosie

« Reply #4752 on: October 17, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
i made those.

just me whos mallcore

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4753 on: October 17, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »
i made those.

just me whos mallcore
i apologize

lilboosie

« Reply #4754 on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote
i made those.

just me whos mallcore
[close]
i apologize

aha youre all good! i know these trucks are a little extra

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4755 on: October 17, 2021, 12:02:43 PM »
i made those.

just me whos mallcore

they will look so good with grooves

IpathCats

« Reply #4756 on: October 17, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote
i made those.

just me whos mallcore
[close]

they will look so good with grooves

.....Nah

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4757 on: October 17, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks pals
[close]

[close]

+1 for krux bushings in ACE…or just about anything that comes stock with barrel bottoms…the stock top is also a tad lower than just about everything that isn’t a low; Especially for people that ride tight or are a bit heavier.

I’m still a fan of stock aces (low tops regular bottoms).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:50:16 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4758 on: October 17, 2021, 07:07:52 PM »
Yep. Agreed. Krux bushings still a great mod for any Aces.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4759 on: October 18, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »
i made those.

just me whos mallcore

Did you painted these leaves by hand or did you use a stencil or something? I like the colors.
IG: @flowterspace

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4760 on: October 18, 2021, 12:57:30 PM »
Expand Quote
i made those.

just me whos mallcore
[close]

Did you painted these leaves by hand or did you use a stencil or something? I like the colors.

Is it just a photoshop? I find it hard to believe someone did that and took professional photos with the die reattached.

lilboosie

« Reply #4761 on: October 18, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i made those.

just me whos mallcore
[close]

[close]

Is it just a photoshop? I find it hard to believe someone did that and took professional photos with the die reattached.

i did it it with a stencil.

i forgot to tape off the axle ends but it was easy to strip off. the die came in handy for that . its just a cheap light box i have

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4762 on: October 18, 2021, 06:45:22 PM »
hi guys!

I know that a lot of yall curb enthusiasts love Ace and I really love them since i've started riding them for 2 years now. Sadly,  I keep blowing up my pivot cup and pivot hole in my front truck on my Ace 55 classic. Riptide, Independent, Ace, no matter what cups I put in they blow out after like 10 slappy crooks. It sucks cause I went through two brand new baseplates because the pivot cavity blow out (the metal on the side literally popped out). In my souvenirs, my Indys 159 were sturdier and didnt had this problem. Im riding my Aces with no bottom washer and a flat one on top, same with the Indys. Anyone had/have this problem? And was I just lucky with my last Indy pair and both are prone to Pivoty Destruction? Thx a lot

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4763 on: October 18, 2021, 10:23:23 PM »
hi guys!

I know that a lot of yall curb enthusiasts love Ace and I really love them since i've started riding them for 2 years now. Sadly,  I keep blowing up my pivot cup and pivot hole in my front truck on my Ace 55 classic. Riptide, Independent, Ace, no matter what cups I put in they blow out after like 10 slappy crooks. It sucks cause I went through two brand new baseplates because the pivot cavity blow out (the metal on the side literally popped out). In my souvenirs, my Indys 159 were sturdier and didnt had this problem. Im riding my Aces with no bottom washer and a flat one on top, same with the Indys. Anyone had/have this problem? And was I just lucky with my last Indy pair and both are prone to Pivoty Destruction? Thx a lot

Had the same problem, just switched back to indy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4764 on: October 19, 2021, 02:11:20 AM »
hi guys!

You need to add to this poll - Ace Pivot issues thread, care of the guy above (RottenToTheCore):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118830.0

So far it is about 50 / 50 for happy vs assorted baseplate and pivot issues, so that is some pretty solid unhappiness but I think we need more people to fill out the poll to get a more even spread of the skate community.

Also, just curious if you had warranty replacements sent to you or didn't ask or whatever.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4765 on: October 19, 2021, 02:18:23 AM »
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

You need to add to this poll - Ace Pivot issues thread, care of the guy above (RottenToTheCore):

So far it is about 50 / 50 for happy vs assorted baseplate and pivot issues, so that is some pretty solid unhappiness but I think we need more people to fill out the poll to get a more even spread of the skate community.

Also, just curious if you had warranty replacements sent to you or didn't ask or whatever.

I think he’s in Europe. And my costumer service experience with any American brand (including Ace) as an European is pretty much useless…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4766 on: October 19, 2021, 02:25:29 AM »
Would be curious to find out how many people who have pivot issues are running non-stock bushing/washer options.
Wondering if the small change in geometry that results from removing a bottom washer, or running a shorter bottom bushing, for example could lead to the massive pivot mastication we’ve been reading about for so long.
Maybe Aces are delicate flowers that instantly wilt as soon as you so much as look at their bushings?
My classics are fine, presently, but I’m running them stock. Still, one can’t help but wonder about the cause of such a large scale issue.
Or maybe it’s just garbage QC over at factory Ace.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4767 on: October 19, 2021, 02:45:35 AM »
Yeah there could be some interesting things come from that.

I know all the sets I have seen out there have been fine, no issues in Classics or AF1 versions, including the half a dozen sets I have had on boards, but they don't get much action really.  Other people have ridden them stock and with swapped out bushings, including stock Indy bushings, which worked well in the few sets I skated with them.

When I see or hear things from people on this thread, I definitely wonder what caused it or if things could have been better for whoever is on them if they had a little experience or knowledge, but given I don't know or hear the whole story, I couldn't say either way.  There have definitely been a lot of warranty claims.

Then there are other simple things that don't need any warranty, for example, this pic of instantly blowing out bushings from a guy tightening them down way too much way too soon.  Turns out they worked fine when loosened off and he just got used to them.  This is only one version of these sort of things though. (Yes taken from a google pic - not my own.)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4768 on: October 19, 2021, 03:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

I think he’s in Europe. And my costumer service experience with any American brand (including Ace) as an European is pretty much useless…

I got a new set of AF1 66s after bothering the customer service at Ace for a few months. I live in Finland.

My pivot cavity dented and tore the pivot cup bushing. Trucks still worked fine though until I ground down the kingpin nut and retired the trucks until I can source a rethreader and bring them back out of retirement to grind them in half. I did manage to buy a new set before receiving the replacements from Ace so now I have a bunch of AF1 66s in various stages of wear.  :D

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4769 on: October 19, 2021, 03:37:55 AM »
Would be curious to find out how many people who have pivot issues are running non-stock bushing/washer options.
Wondering if the small change in geometry that results from removing a bottom washer, or running a shorter bottom bushing, for example could lead to the massive pivot mastication we’ve been reading about for so long.
Maybe Aces are delicate flowers that instantly wilt as soon as you so much as look at their bushings?
My classics are fine, presently, but I’m running them stock. Still, one can’t help but wonder about the cause of such a large scale issue.
Or maybe it’s just garbage QC over at factory Ace.

My 3 sets of aces (1 classic 2 af1) were all completely stock, didn’t even loosen or tighten them. All the pivot cups broke after 1-3 slappy sessions.