Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747291 times)

talklessSkateMore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1230 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »
I like how the turn is physically limited by the size of the top washer. Put my 44s on 1/8th risers, 52mm's and stock Indy bushings.. At max lean it's all washer/hangar contact leaving almost a 1/8" between wheel and board..
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1231 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
Yo, I’m sure it’s been talked about but 40 pages is a lot to go through to find the info.

What are the best aftermarket bushings for Ace’s? I currently ride Indy’s and am stoked to get my first set of Ace Trucks.

I like to skate the Indy Soft (red) and super soft (white) bushings.

Thanks in advance!

The current ACE bushings in the 'classics' is all one needs to ever ride in ACE trucks. Period. You will do yourself a disservice by swapping them out.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1232 on: May 09, 2019, 12:46:11 AM »
how can you tell what 'stage' aces you have?
i've seen 3 versions. there's one with the tapered hanger and only one speedring, then a 'normal' hanger with two speedrings, and of course the latest ones with that are textured
Just felt that this needed to be bumped.
And by the photo of the ones that I got https://www.blue-tomato.com/es-ES/product/Ace-5+75+Mid+44+Eje-393452/?varid=302517442 it seems I got the first ones. Now I'm terrified.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:52:19 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1233 on: May 09, 2019, 01:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I said this in another thread but I don't know how you guys ride these trucks.

I have skated 2 sets

-Bent axles like a month in and eventually cracked the hanger

Went back to thunder for a few years, everyone including ACE said they fixed the axle issue so I gave them another shot.

-Bent axle, thrown in the trash and never looked back
[close]

Bummer you had multiple issues with them. Speaking only for myself, and the very low impact stuff I do, I've  never had an issue with them (have only skated the updated versions). My reasoning is completely about the turn. They feel and are the same height as Stage VII Indy's, which I rode well into the early 2000's before stopping for a while. They do exactly what I want/need them to do and I don't really have to think about it - unlike avoiding wheelbite on Thunders, or having to bury every ounce of weight I have to make a Venture turn well. Skating Stage XI's is like skating drunk for me, tall, tippy, and overall kind of weird. Ace just feel right, for me, but I totally understand the known issues keeping people away.

If Indy decided that Stage XII's are going to be a modern update of Stage VII/VIII's I'd give them an honest go, no question. Until then I'll stick with Ace's and hope they up their quality (or in a perfect world move production to Ermico since it seems Indy's have jumped ship).

[close]
what pale light said 100%
[close]

I wanted to fuck with them heavy. They just let me down both tries I gave em.
that sucks, I probably wouldn't give them a third chance either if I was in your shoes. How about film trucks? I'M kinda curious about them

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1234 on: May 09, 2019, 04:21:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have skated 2 sets

Went back to thunder for a few years, everyone including ACE said they fixed the axle issue so I gave them another shot.

[close]

Bummer you had multiple issues with them. Speaking only for myself, and the very low impact stuff I do, I've  never had an issue with them (have only skated the updated versions). My reasoning is completely about the turn. They feel and are the same height as Stage VII Indy's, which I rode well into the early 2000's before stopping for a while. They do exactly what I want/need them to do and I don't really have to think about it - unlike avoiding wheelbite on Thunders, or having to bury every ounce of weight I have to make a Venture turn well. Skating Stage XI's is like skating drunk for me, tall, tippy, and overall kind of weird. Ace just feel right, for me, but I totally understand the known issues keeping people away.

If Indy decided that Stage XII's are going to be a modern update of Stage VII/VIII's I'd give them an honest go, no question. Until then I'll stick with Ace's and hope they up their quality (or in a perfect world move production to Ermico since it seems Indy's have jumped ship).

[close]
[close]

Someone on here said that if you put an Indy hanger on an Ace baseplate it rides like an Ace, so there’s always that.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1235 on: May 09, 2019, 08:09:59 AM »
i really don't understand why indy don't just reuse their old geometry. it's a really stupid business move...ACE literally stole indys geometry, and by doing so, they've carved out a portion of the market that previously belonged solely to indy. and what does indy do? they make a worse version of what they had already created years ago. do they WANT to go out of business? do they not see ACE as serious threat? the only thing indy has over ACE is durability, and that's enough of a factor to keep people coming back to indy, so why don't they just get it right? the only reason i could think of is that they're secretly communists or some shit. this is so fucking frustrating grrrrr

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
the only thing indy has over ACE is durability, and that's enough of a factor to keep people coming back to indy, so why don't they just get it right? the only reason i could think of is that they're secretly communists or some shit. this is so fucking frustrating grrrrr

Indy has a few other things over ACE.  Marketing being one.  They sell a shit ton of shirts. If ACE made more money off cool shirts maybe they could up their quality control.

Indy also has options.  Regular, hollow, hollow forged, titanium.   ACE doesn't have the market share to be able to have that many options.

Indy also has better sizing.   8, 8.25, 8.5, 8.75, 9.125.   ACE: 8, 8.38, 9.   Rumor is that ACE will get their act together with that in the next version.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1237 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
the only thing indy has over ACE is durability, and that's enough of a factor to keep people coming back to indy, so why don't they just get it right? the only reason i could think of is that they're secretly communists or some shit. this is so fucking frustrating grrrrr
[close]

Indy has a few other things over ACE.  Marketing being one.  They sell a shit ton of shirts. If ACE made more money off cool shirts maybe they could up their quality control.

Indy also has options.  Regular, hollow, hollow forged, titanium.   ACE doesn't have the market share to be able to have that many options.

Indy also has better sizing.   8, 8.25, 8.5, 8.75, 9.125.   ACE: 8, 8.38, 9.   Rumor is that ACE will get their act together with that in the next version.
sorry, i misphrased that a bit. what i meant to say was : the only REAL thing indy has over ace is durability. who cares about marketing? who cares about t shirts aka paying money to be a walking billboard? what core indy/ace rider really cares about having lighter trucks? they'd be riding theeve or thunder at this point. and about the sizing, i'm getting pretty fucking sick of all these retards asking the same exact question about “im riding 8.5s would 44s fit perfectly with no over/under hang?” just get wider wheels or put more inboard washers on or 55s with slimmer wheels and shut the fuck up. i know you think you care about that shit, but once you're actually skating, there is not one thing you could possibly care less about.

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have skated 2 sets

[close]

[close]
[close]

Luckily you can shoot their warranty email address an email and they'll most definitely hook you up, their website says you need to ship the truck and have it inspected and all this bullshit for a return but the one time I've had a problem (with an axle) just shot them an email that basically said "hey I've got this problem with my axle, I don't wanna ship the truck because I have no spares" and attached a couple photos, they responded swiftly saying they'll send me a new truck asap. I had a new truck within a week.
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2019, 11:22:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have skated 2 sets

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Luckily you can shoot their warranty email address an email and they'll most definitely hook you up, their website says you need to ship the truck and have it inspected and all this bullshit for a return but the one time I've had a problem (with an axle) just shot them an email that basically said "hey I've got this problem with my axle, I don't wanna ship the truck because I have no spares" and attached a couple photos, they responded swiftly saying they'll send me a new truck asap. I had a new truck within a week.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
I rode Indy forever and while it always worked great, since Indy is all i know and i see people are riding other brands, i wonder which other brands are as good or even better. I also ask myself if i should even try something else?

chiefqueef420

« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2019, 09:21:01 PM »
I rode Indy forever and while it always worked great, since Indy is all i know and i see people are riding other brands, i wonder which other brands are as good or even better. I also ask myself if i should even try something else?
Ace, Venture, and Thunder all are unique and ride very differently. I'd say it's less about what's "better" than Indy, but what you like the most, all are high quality. Aces are super squirrelly and fun which is why I ride them (plus the 8.35's line up perfectly with my 8.38 decks).
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »
Aces are super squirrelly

Not sure what you mean by "squirrelly". I find that Aces turn deep but are stable and very predictable. You can lean the amount of degrees you want and you can stay in that position if you want to. Thunders are more binary: you are in the center or you are at a full turn; in the other hand, Indys are very unpredictable and wobbling around every time, you have to follow them instead of controlling them. As someone said above, if there was not all of that marketing power, Indys would be out of the game and people would ask instead if they should choose between Aces or Thunders.

chiefqueef420

« Reply #1243 on: May 10, 2019, 01:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure what you mean by "squirrelly". I find that Aces turn deep but are stable and very predictable. You can lean the amount of degrees you want and you can stay in that position if you want to. Thunders are more binary: you are in the center or you are at a full turn; in the other hand, Indys are very unpredictable and wobbling around every time, you have to follow them instead of controlling them. As someone said above, if there was not all of that marketing power, Indys would be out of the game and people would ask instead if they should choose between Aces or Thunders.
I definitely don't know if they would be out of the game, they're still a solid truck. I find it odd calling Indys wobbly and unpredictable but Aces stable. I guess if you've been riding them a long time, but when switching from any other brand to Ace you probably wouldn't use the term "stable" unless you skate slow or just tight trucks.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1244 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:27 AM »
Idk man I think ace sold off bad stock, knew about it and is playing dumb about it. Little shit, but I'm starting to resent the fact that I've been ignored about faulty bushing replacement. I even offered to pay shipping and get extra stuff on top
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1245 on: May 10, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »

I definitely don't know if they would be out of the game, they're still a solid truck. I find it odd calling Indys wobbly and unpredictable but Aces stable. I guess if you've been riding them a long time, but when switching from any other brand to Ace you probably wouldn't use the term "stable" unless you skate slow or just tight trucks.

I used to ride tight trucks, but I'm more and more loosening them since a couple of months. No problems with Thunders (team HL) do be ridden loose, however my Indys (8.25 and 8.75) had this wobbling problem. In the 8.75 I tried to swap the stock bushings to the orange conical, and on the 8.25 I put the medium-hard blue barrel, but it didn't help much while ridden loose. That's why when I tried Ace 44s, I was surprised how they were stable, because I was expecting something worse than Indys. I don't think I developed a special skill in one day, I suppose that the stability of Aces come from the new bushings. If you look the video of Ben Degros on youtube, he reviewed the "stage 1" of Ace 44 and he complains that they are very prone to wobbling. I think Ace did a great job on the last version to fix this issue, however it seems that you never know which version you're going to get when you buy them online...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1246 on: May 10, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

ACE turn better than any modern truck out, if you have ever ridden them you'd know. To get Indys to turn as fast and as deep as ACE the Indys get wobbly/unstable; Indy's have a much longer arc.

That said, they are not for everyone. ACE (Loose trucks save lives) are designed for a specific purpose, to turn. The (old Indy) geo used forces you to...a similarly tight ACE will still out-turn an equally equipped/tight bushing duro Indy and will be considered, to most, looser.

Theeve are smack in the middle of ACE and Indy, if not just a more responsive Indy clone.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:30:03 AM by Xen »

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1247 on: May 10, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
has anyone had the kingpins come loose really quick? a week or two after i got a new set of 44's both the kingpins were wiggly. i'm a loose trucks guy so i actually like it, but it does make me question ace's quality control a little

ballintoohard

« Reply #1248 on: May 10, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
I didn't loosen my Ace when I got them. They were pretty tight the first session, but got nicer and nicer over time. Only truck that I have never touched.

But, I'm liking these V Lights a lot too

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1249 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
Just got an 8.75, and really wanted to skate my Aces but they’re just that tiny bit too small, bummed. What would changing the hangar to an Indy 159 do? Would it skate closer to an Ace or Indy? If it even works hah

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1250 on: May 10, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
has anyone had the kingpins come loose really quick? a week or two after i got a new set of 44's both the kingpins were wiggly. i'm a loose trucks guy so i actually like it, but it does make me question ace's quality control a little
yeah, they're the newer designs too. i tried knocking out the kingpins from another set to replace with hollow ones and it was tough so it seems that the quality is still inconsistent. luckily that's the extent of problems i've encountered

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1251 on: May 11, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Just got an 8.75, and really wanted to skate my Aces but they’re just that tiny bit too small, bummed. What would changing the hangar to an Indy 159 do? Would it skate closer to an Ace or Indy? If it even works hah

I’ve heard it works and skates like Ace. Would like someone to confirm. Please try it and report back.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1252 on: May 11, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
Is the 8.75 tapered? I’ve got 44s on my Chico big boy shape and don’t think they are too small for it

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rolly

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1253 on: June 01, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »
Trying to figure out which "version" ace I have, and if it's worth an upgrade. Bought them in Feb 2017 at Tactics. Any way to tell?

Also, I ride them with bones medium on the bottom and bones soft on the top. Bought the new ace pivot cups but they squeak like a motherfucker. I cant stand that noise/feel of squeaky trucks. Reminds me of standing on a pre-built complete from some kooky sporting goods store. It just harshes my chakra. Waxing only helps for about 1 week.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1254 on: June 01, 2019, 08:24:11 AM »
Trying to figure out which "version" ace I have, and if it's worth an upgrade. Bought them in Feb 2017 at Tactics. Any way to tell?

Also, I ride them with bones medium on the bottom and bones soft on the top. Bought the new ace pivot cups but they squeak like a motherfucker. I cant stand that noise/feel of squeaky trucks. Reminds me of standing on a pre-built complete from some kooky sporting goods store. It just harshes my chakra. Waxing only helps for about 1 week.

It's pretty easy to tell if you see both. If you post a picture someone could tell you. The early one's have a way thinner V part of the hangar.

Use auto grease (little goes a long way) on the pivot cups, it lasts way longer than wax or bearing lube.

Mongoloid

« Reply #1255 on: June 01, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »

If the version you’re using works for you, why bother?

I’m the opposite where I’ll stock up on older version Incase the changes for whatever reason don’t work out for me. I think however with Ace trucks that any changes made between generations will be minimal at best.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1256 on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:14 PM »

V1: they came with 1 axle washer instead of the classic 2
V2: now with 2 washers but these have a huge nut
V3 (current ones): 2 washers and normal sized nuts.
At the end of 2019 I hear they're coming with V4, supposedly they are going to change their sizing and a 8.5 axle truck would be available.
Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:30:10 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1257 on: June 02, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »
Some nice copper 55 on my second setup
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1258 on: June 03, 2019, 02:08:53 AM »
At the end of 2019 I hear they're coming with V4, supposedly they are going to change their sizing and a 8.5 axle truck would be available.
Hope it helps.

Are you sure?

I have the first version of 66's and they came with two axle washers. I had the Ace customer service confirm that my trucks are the first version of Aces. This was established by the fact that my trucks have matte black finish, the smaller axle nuts (the same size as you usually have on your mounting hardware, 3/8" or something) and two axle washers.

What is this huge nut on the V2's you are talking about? The kingpin nut?

They should print date or something to the trucks to save us the trouble of findng this stuff out ourselves.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1259 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Hope it helps.
[close]

Are you sure?

I have the first version of 66's and they came with two axle washers. I had the Ace customer service confirm that my trucks are the first version of Aces. This was established by the fact that my trucks have matte black finish, the smaller axle nuts (the same size as you usually have on your mounting hardware, 3/8" or something) and two axle washers.

What is this huge nut on the V2's you are talking about? The kingpin nut?

They should print date or something to the trucks to save us the trouble of findng this stuff out ourselves.

Same I have v1 two washers. I threw away the stupid mini nuts