Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748049 times)

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1260 on: June 03, 2019, 01:06:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were on 2 when they did the 3/8 special...

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1261 on: June 03, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »
I wanna get aces because stranger rides them. Easy bargain.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1262 on: June 04, 2019, 02:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
V1: they came with 1 axle washer instead of the classic 2
V2: now with 2 washers but these have a huge nut
V3 (current ones): 2 washers and normal sized nuts.
At the end of 2019 I hear they're coming with V4, supposedly they are going to change their sizing and a 8.5 axle truck would be available.
Hope it helps.
[close]

Are you sure?

I have the first version of 66's and they came with two axle washers. I had the Ace customer service confirm that my trucks are the first version of Aces. This was established by the fact that my trucks have matte black finish, the smaller axle nuts (the same size as you usually have on your mounting hardware, 3/8" or something) and two axle washers.

What is this huge nut on the V2's you are talking about? The kingpin nut?

They should print date or something to the trucks to save us the trouble of findng this stuff out ourselves.
I found that info on this same thread, can't remember the page
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Diocletian

« Reply #1263 on: June 04, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
V1- super slim looking hanger with the “rocker” (curve). Amount of axle washers is irrelevant.

V2- beefed up hanger (44-66), still had the “rocker”, super hard bushings, normal axle nuts.

V2.5- same but with the “.38 specials” axle nuts stock.

V3- beefed up hanger (33-66), normal axle nuts, higher quality/softer stock bushings, eliminated “rocker”.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1264 on: June 04, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
Do they have totally eliminated the "rocker"? My 55s are almost new and the axles have a slightly curvature. It is quite imperceptible, but it is still there.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1265 on: June 04, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Do they have totally eliminated the "rocker"? My 55s are almost new and the axles have a slightly curvature. It is quite imperceptible, but it is still there.

The rocker shape is still present from what I can see, it's just significantly less (ML has it, Thunder has it) it's just really subtle and different per manufacturer where the taper starts.

It's the extra metal/meat on the hanger that's gone - that made the rocker look more pronounced leading people to think they were bent (even tho most were lol).

B0udoir

« Reply #1266 on: June 04, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
Ok thanks.
But actually I think the axle is also bent for both trucks. I have F4 conical fulls, and if I force a wheel to be totally horizontal on the floor, it will lift the opposite wheel by a few mms. This means that if I ride straight, I'm not rolling on the full contact surface, just on about 1/3 of the wheel. However, if I take a deep turn, because both trucks turn inward, it will put both wheels on their full contact surface. I guess it's a technique on big trucks to give more stability when carving? Or is it totally random?

Powerlesspillars

« Reply #1267 on: June 04, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
No

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1268 on: June 04, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »
Ok thanks.
But actually I think the axle is also bent for both trucks. I have F4 conical fulls, and if I force a wheel to be totally horizontal on the floor, it will lift the opposite wheel by a few mms. This means that if I ride straight, I'm not rolling on the full contact surface, just on about 1/3 of the wheel. However, if I take a deep turn, because both trucks turn inward, it will put both wheels on their full contact surface. I guess it's a technique on big trucks to give more stability when carving? Or is it totally random?

Are your wheels brand new? If not, they usually wear out faster at the outer edges. So if the riding surface is level with the floor, the rest of the wheel is not totally horizontal forcing the other side of the truck up.

B0udoir

« Reply #1269 on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:04 PM »
Yep they were new, that's why I was puzzled with this axle bending.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: June 05, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »
V1- super slim looking hanger with the “rocker” (curve). Amount of axle washers is irrelevant.

V2- beefed up hanger (44-66), still had the “rocker”, super hard bushings, normal axle nuts.

V3- beefed up hanger (33-66), normal axle nuts, higher quality/softer stock bushings, eliminated “rocker”.
I guess these are V3 right?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1271 on: June 05, 2019, 01:31:03 AM »
I just ordered a Zip Zinger from Tactics (one of my favorite shapes ever even for a non cruiser) with Ace 22s and some Krux bushings as I remember everyone raving about that combo but now I’ve read the thread more and everyone is saying that now  Ace bushings are better than Krux and the old stock.

I know I don’t have it yet but should I run the Krux or the Aces?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:44:48 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1272 on: June 05, 2019, 02:37:38 AM »
I have my 44 and 55 with stock bushings and they're awesome.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1273 on: June 05, 2019, 02:46:54 AM »
Fuck did I just waste $5 on some Krux bushings lol?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1274 on: June 05, 2019, 03:45:57 AM »
I don't think so, is always good to have spare bushings just in case. Specially if you need specific ones like on Ace case.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1275 on: June 05, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You probably did. Krux bushings were only a thing for the previous versions because they are slightly smaller (especially the top) and would allow for looser setup at same nut position. The new Ace bushings are softer so you get a better/looser turn right off the bat, but if you want that wobble that smaller bushings can give then maybe try the Krux. I would just use the Krux top and still Ace bottom though.

The new Ace bushings also have a better urethane formula (less plasticky) than most bushings of the same duro. Only thing close in my opinion is the Thunder 90a. I have tried the Ace bottom bushings in all my trucks (krux, thunder, tensor) and it has been a better feel every time.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1276 on: June 05, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes it looks like it because of the flat hanger

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1277 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »

I know I don’t have it yet but should I run the Krux or the Aces?

I had read those things as well.  I bought some Krux trucks and the bottom bushings blew off the boardside washer before I left the garage leaving the deck sitting at an angle.  I re-seated it and it happened again.  Same thing happened when I bought Ace 66s.  Didn't happen with Indy, Thunder, Mini Logo or Royal.   I gave away the Krux truckx because they turn for shit and am running Mini Logo medium bushings in the Ace because that's what I had in the garage and they don't blow out.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1278 on: June 05, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You probably did. Krux bushings were only a thing for the previous versions because they are slightly smaller (especially the top) and would allow for looser setup at same nut position. The new Ace bushings are softer so you get a better/looser turn right off the bat, but if you want that wobble that smaller bushings can give then maybe try the Krux. I would just use the Krux top and still Ace bottom though.

The new Ace bushings also have a better urethane formula (less plasticky) than most bushings of the same duro. Only thing close in my opinion is the Thunder 90a. I have tried the Ace bottom bushings in all my trucks (krux, thunder, tensor) and it has been a better feel every time.
Thanks. I probably won’t use the Krux since I like loose but without wobble.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1279 on: June 05, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

nope those are v2. the hanger shape on v3 is more angular/bulky.
v3 hanger
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:09:16 PM by I AM »

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1280 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
from top to bottom, v1,v2,v3. the difference between v1 and v2 is the v shape on the hanger being wider, and the hangers being thicker overall. v2.5s are v2s with smaller nuts. v3s have a subtly beefier and more angular v shape on the hanger, and are thicker overall compared to v2s. the pivot cup is bigger and softer. v3s also have softer bushings. sizes below 44 and the low models look basically the same from v1 to v3. maybe they're a bit thicker now? don't know. v3s have softer bushings and bigger pivot cups regardless.
v1

v2

v3

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1281 on: June 05, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
So Ace says only the 44/55/66 got an overhaul so I’m guess the 22s I have still have the old design/rock hard bushings?

Maybe it was good I got the Krux bushings then.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1282 on: June 06, 2019, 12:42:02 PM »
Got the aces and they appear to have the new bushings and you guys were right. They are some of the highest quality bushings on the market and even right away these aces turn like a dream. As quick as a thunder but with actual stability.

B0udoir

« Reply #1283 on: June 06, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
Maybe it's me getting used to loose trucks, but I have the feeling that these bushings get harder over time.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1284 on: June 06, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
They definitely get more firm/stable after a sesh or two. I think I cranked mine a 1/4 turn after stock and they were fine. Not wobbly or too loose at all. My copper ones are tilted to one side tho even after a bunch of sessions. I spun the bushings around trying to fix it so hopefully that will help.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1285 on: June 06, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »
Maybe it's me getting used to loose trucks, but I have the feeling that these bushings get harder over time.
I share that feeling
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1286 on: June 06, 2019, 11:53:49 PM »
Yeah, they harden up over 2-3 sessions.
I’ve been really lucky with the last two pairs of trucks I’ve bought; I took slap’s advice, didn’t touch them until they were broken in and now I can just run them stock without having to worry about 76 different variables

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1287 on: June 07, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »
They definitely get more firm/stable after a sesh or two. I think I cranked mine a 1/4 turn after stock and they were fine. Not wobbly or too loose at all. My copper ones are tilted to one side tho even after a bunch of sessions. I spun the bushings around trying to fix it so hopefully that will help.
When I’m breaking new trucks in I always swap them front to back and vice versa after few sessions, to avoid that tilting. If you want to do it without mounting ur trucks of remember to swap pivot cups with bushings too.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #1288 on: June 07, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
I’ve been really lucky with the last two pairs of trucks I’ve bought; I took slap’s advice, didn’t touch them until they were broken in and now I can just run them stock without having to worry about 76 different variables

Just switched to ace (about a month ago) after 5 years on thunder and this is my experience, I didn’t touch the kingpin nut and within 2-3 sessions they felt perfect. It was like I was denying myself flow and elongating my WB for no reason with thunders.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1289 on: June 08, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just switched to ace (about a month ago) after 5 years on thunder and this is my experience, I didn’t touch the kingpin nut and within 2-3 sessions they felt perfect. It was like I was denying myself flow and elongating my WB for no reason with thunders.

That’s the one thing that got me when I changed from Thunders to Ace: the wheelbase.
 I suddenly went from being able to pick any 8.5 off the wall to only being able to skate a 14.75 wb, to replicate the long wheelbase to which Thunders had me accustomed.