Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747611 times)

B0udoir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1320 on: June 18, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
The kingpin nut of my front truck is grinded to a point where there is not so much steel and it is just holding with the interior plastic part. I've seen on SoCal Skate Shop that Independent and Modus are selling kingpin nuts separately but with no dimensions given, and Shortys and Khiro are also selling kingpin nuts with the specification that they are 3/8".
Anyone knows what is the difference and which one will work on Aces trucks? It's tricky because, as said above, washers may seem to be a stupid steel cup but they come with very subtle differences depending on the trucks, so maybe a stupid nut can also mess up everything ....

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1321 on: June 18, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm using Indy washers in my Aces. The Ace washers are too thick and too small. Indy washers are wider and slimmer. Works much better IMO.

Ended up doing this by chance at first as the guy who sold me my first pair of Aces didn't include the stock bushings or washers and I couldn't find Ace washers anywhere but could buy the bushings. Then later on when I got a new pair of Aces I noticed the washers being kinda shit so I just changed them out to some spare Indy washers I had around.
[close]
stock indy washers? also, aftermarket ace bushings actually come with washers. the old ace washers (v1 v2) don't seem to have this problem, so i swapped the new top washer with the old one and it's really good. as for the bottom washers, never really had any problems with them. if you do, just loosen your trucks and make sure you have the rounded edge of the bushing facing the washer, seems to fit better that way.
[close]

Stock or the ones that come with the cylinder  bushings. The washers that come with conical bushings are too small.

Back when I bought my Ace replacement bushings they didn’t come with washers. All the same though as I really don’t like the Ace washers.

I think I have a mix of Ace trucks V1, V2 & V3. Not much of a difference in them IMO except the set I’ve skated the least (probably V2 with the stupid axle nuts) still have the stock washers and bushings and they aren’t nearly as loose as the two sets of what I think are V3 with stock bushings and Indy washers and the two sets which I think are V1 with 3+ year old replacement bushings and Indy washers.

Breaking in the replacement bushings was quite a chore. Breaking in the trucks I think are V3s wasn’t nearly as bad but breaking in the V2s with the stupid axle nuts has been really fucking difficult at least with the stock washers. Not sure how much changing to thinner washers would help.

I keep all my trucks as loose as possible with the nut still keeping on without trouble.
Did you buy those V2’s from RCM? Bc I was having a debate with my friend just the other day about those, he said that he never saw those here but I was 100% that RCM had them, I remember to wonder about those stupid axle nuts there...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1322 on: June 18, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
I think a lot of folks do the 55 on 8.5. Looks sick. Because wide trucks look cool. And ace look cool.

Anyone skate 33’s? Right when ace came out I had some, loved em. I’ve got 44s now. I know some people put em on the 8”....any reports on how this works for the kickflips?

Where is the AO confirmations? He skates them or nah?

I do really enjoy ace. I like that they are very different in their turn. I’m not sure it equates to me skating ‘better’ (at this point skating better means being able to land about 3 tricks: kickflip, switchflip, 3flip), but pushing around is fun. It’s a lot of wiggling tho. Concerned about too much extra sauce. Much like this post.
My friend skates 03’s on 8” and they feel perfectly fine, not as turny as my 44’s but they feel kinda like home coming to me, as I skated most of my lifetime narrow low trucks ;D
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1323 on: June 18, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm using Indy washers in my Aces. The Ace washers are too thick and too small. Indy washers are wider and slimmer. Works much better IMO.

Ended up doing this by chance at first as the guy who sold me my first pair of Aces didn't include the stock bushings or washers and I couldn't find Ace washers anywhere but could buy the bushings. Then later on when I got a new pair of Aces I noticed the washers being kinda shit so I just changed them out to some spare Indy washers I had around.
[close]
stock indy washers? also, aftermarket ace bushings actually come with washers. the old ace washers (v1 v2) don't seem to have this problem, so i swapped the new top washer with the old one and it's really good. as for the bottom washers, never really had any problems with them. if you do, just loosen your trucks and make sure you have the rounded edge of the bushing facing the washer, seems to fit better that way.
[close]

Stock or the ones that come with the cylinder  bushings. The washers that come with conical bushings are too small.

Back when I bought my Ace replacement bushings they didn’t come with washers. All the same though as I really don’t like the Ace washers.

I think I have a mix of Ace trucks V1, V2 & V3. Not much of a difference in them IMO except the set I’ve skated the least (probably V2 with the stupid axle nuts) still have the stock washers and bushings and they aren’t nearly as loose as the two sets of what I think are V3 with stock bushings and Indy washers and the two sets which I think are V1 with 3+ year old replacement bushings and Indy washers.

Breaking in the replacement bushings was quite a chore. Breaking in the trucks I think are V3s wasn’t nearly as bad but breaking in the V2s with the stupid axle nuts has been really fucking difficult at least with the stock washers. Not sure how much changing to thinner washers would help.

I keep all my trucks as loose as possible with the nut still keeping on without trouble.
[close]
Did you buy those V2’s from RCM? Bc I was having a debate with my friend just the other day about those, he said that he never saw those here but I was 100% that RCM had them, I remember to wonder about those stupid axle nuts there...

Nah. I think I bought them from Union Five. Replaced the nuts straight away. Fuck those nuts.

Androoskie

• Rep: -2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1324 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:49 PM »
been skating aces for a minute and had a few pair and noticed the first ones i bought were prolly the best. maybe just nostalgia or w/e.

never saw any bent ones, i always thought the slight bend was part of the design lol.

but the aces i have right now are kinda wondy, the axel on the left hand side is def longer than the right side.

i dont mind it to much tho honestly, just wish the board i had those og aces i bought never got stolen lol

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1325 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:46 PM »
I think a lot of folks do the 55 on 8.5. Looks sick. Because wide trucks look cool. And ace look cool.

Anyone skate 33’s? Right when ace came out I had some, loved em. I’ve got 44s now. I know some people put em on the 8”....any reports on how this works for the kickflips?

On CPH he was skating Ace. You can tell on a Nike SB clip on their IG
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1326 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:36 PM »

I do really enjoy ace. I like that they are very different in their turn. I’m not sure it equates to me skating ‘better’ (at this point skating better means being able to land about 3 tricks: kickflip, switchflip, 3flip), but pushing around is fun. It’s a lot of wiggling tho. Concerned about too much extra sauce. Much like this post.

On the list of riders here, along with his old man,

https://www.acetrucks.com/catalog/

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1327 on: June 18, 2019, 11:54:52 PM »
kingpin nuts with the specification that they are 3/8".

How the fuck does that work? i thought ace doing 3/8 axle nuts were a stretch, theres no way a kingpin nut can be that small

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1328 on: June 19, 2019, 12:29:11 AM »
How the fuck does that work? i thought ace doing 3/8 axle nuts were a stretch, theres no way a kingpin nut can be that small

I'm not familiar with the inches system, so I was not aware that 3/8 is very small.
I guess I have to thank you to avoid me buying a weird kingpin nut...
I will go with a very classical Independent, I suppose it's "standard".

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1329 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09:15 AM »
All kingpin nuts are the same size, brand doesn't matter

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1330 on: June 19, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
Problem solved, I put independent red bushings on the bottom, with ace top, so far so good.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1331 on: June 19, 2019, 11:06:34 AM »
Speaking of AO
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1332 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:32 AM »
Speaking of AO

haha the bottom bushings look like theyre popped out

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1333 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
been skating aces for a minute and had a few pair and noticed the first ones i bought were prolly the best. maybe just nostalgia or w/e.

never saw any bent ones, i always thought the slight bend was part of the design lol.

but the aces i have right now are kinda wondy, the axel on the left hand side is def longer than the right side.

i dont mind it to much tho honestly, just wish the board i had those og aces i bought never got stolen lol

Just got a set of ace 55’s, both of them have the uneven axle length. The axle nut barely gets on the shorter side. I’m with you though, the performance is worth putting up with the imperfections

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1334 on: June 21, 2019, 04:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just got a set of ace 55’s, both of them have the uneven axle length. The axle nut barely gets on the shorter side. I’m with you though, the performance is worth putting up with the imperfections

Had the same issue with 55's before.  I had to buy 3 sets, pick the two trucks that had the most even axles and return the others.  so annoying

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1335 on: June 21, 2019, 04:50:09 AM »
Not more annoying about Ace not having a 8.5 axle truck...
Can't get used to the 44  >:(
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1336 on: June 21, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »

Really?? It’s so similar....maybe ace is not for you. I’m riding some 44s now. The turn and no wheelbite is dope. The combo of big wheels and 44s on an 8 is not hot tho. 33 time

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1337 on: June 21, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really?? It’s so similar....maybe ace is not for you. I’m riding some 44s now. The turn and no wheelbite is dope. The combo of big wheels and 44s on an 8 is not hot tho. 33 time
Maybe, idk but since I skate those I've been struggling.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1338 on: June 21, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Maybe, idk but since I skate those I've been struggling.

I struggled on Ace at first, as I had come from Thunders and my wheelbase was suddenly half an inch shorter (14.25 rode like 13.75!). I started riding a long wheelbase (14.75) and everything was back to normal.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1339 on: June 21, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »

I switched from Indy 149s to Ace 44s on 8.5” deck and didn’t even notice the difference in width. What I did notice was how much better they turned and how much further they grind. Indy’s are still great trucks though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1340 on: June 21, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
The no wheel bite factor is so good too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #1341 on: June 21, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
I’ve been running 55’s on my 9” popsicle for the last couple months and it’s been heaven. Started with 1/8” risers since I weigh around 210lbs and skate very loose, but was still getting wheelbite. Yesterday I threw on some 1/4” hard plastic Pig risers and I can turn so deep. The 58.35mm height doesn’t feel too tall, and my pop is a lot better. I just hate looking down and seeing those thick plastic pucks under my trucks but oh well.

I’m not a fan of the new stock Ace bushings, and I’ve learned any type of cup washer is very limiting for turns, even with a conical bushing. I’m running really beat up and broken in Bones mediums with the flat Bones washer underneath the bottom bushing, and no top washer at all. Lastly, my axles are also uneven like many of you are saying. It’s annoying but doesn’t affect the performance so I just roll with it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:26:28 PM by Diocletian »

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1342 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:28 PM »
I’ve been running 55’s on my 9” popsicle for the last couple months and it’s been heaven. Started with 1/8” risers since I weigh around 210lbs and skate very loose, but was still getting wheelbite. Yesterday I threw on some 1/4” hard plastic Pig risers and I can turn so deep. The 58.35” height doesn’t feel too tall, and my pop is a lot better. I just hate looking down and seeing those thick plastic pucks under my trucks but oh well.

I’m not a fan of the new stock Ace bushings, and I’ve learned any type of cup washer is very limiting for turns, even with a conical bushing. I’m running really beat up and broken in Bones mediums with the flat Bones washer underneath the bottom bushing, and no top washer at all. Lastly, my axles are also uneven like many of you are saying. It’s annoying but doesn’t affect the performance so I just roll with it.
what size wheels? im running 169s with 60s on a 9 inch polar popsicle with 1/4 risers and it's a bit wheel bitey but adding another 1/8 makes the board feel weird...not unstable but just weird.

Diocletian

« Reply #1343 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:33 PM »
I had to edit my post, you quoting it made me realize I had my truck height description at 58.35” instead of millimeters lol. I run 55mm wheels that are probably 54mm now. 1/4” risers with 1/8” stacked and using 60mm wheels is tallllll. Damn, that’s crazy.

It’s harder for me to dial in trucks being heavier than most. Harder bushings limit the turn too much, softer goes straight to wheelbite. The combo I described is the best I’ve found. The yellow cores are starting to crack but I’m just rolling with it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1344 on: June 22, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »
The no wheel bite factor is so good too!

I think this is one of the strongest ACE positives: lack of wheelbites. Venture hi’s are very difficult for me to wheelbite as well.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1345 on: June 22, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
I can get my 44s to wheelbite with 54 mm wheels no problem. Easier than Krux or Venture but the thing about Ace wheelbite is that it’s so predictable that you know exactly when it’s gonna come and thus rarely ends up pitching you. Still, Indys and Thumders IMO wheelbite much easier and what’s worse is that it kinda happens all of a sudden in those. 🤔

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1346 on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
Max Palmer on Ace now, just got welcomed through their instagram page

Anyways, I'm loving my 44's stock and the bushings definitely hardened up but the geometry still lends a really great turn. Gonna run these till they're crumbly

ballintoohard

« Reply #1347 on: June 25, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
I somehow get the least wheelbite with Thunders, most with Indy, and Venture is up there as well

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1348 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Max Palmer on Ace now, just got welcomed through their instagram page

Anyways, I'm loving my 44's stock and the bushings definitely hardened up but the geometry still lends a really great turn. Gonna run these till they're crumbly

This makes all kinds of sense. Glad to see Ace picking up riders like Max.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1349 on: June 25, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »
If you don't get wheelbite you're not riding loose enough.