Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748032 times)

B0udoir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1440 on: August 26, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
I bought them new some time this year
* maybe April

I also bought mine in April and the bottom bushings are now totally crumbled from the interior. Both top and bottom have also developed these weird circular cracks, like a cut tree.  I've put a fresh new set of Ace bushing last week, and I also noticed that the old stock top and bottom bushing had lost both 1mm. The fresh new ones broke in after 1 hour of transition stuff, and my 44s feel like new again, yeee.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:57:57 PM by B0udoir »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1441 on: August 26, 2019, 06:52:09 PM »
I don’t blow out bushings anymore, because someone told me to let em be for awhile. It can be annoying, but it’s part of the game, for me. Now if you want tight, buy specific, harder bushings.

Diocletian

« Reply #1442 on: August 26, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Ace’s quality control isn’t great still, I’ve had hangers shorter than the other truck, axles off center with one side longer, etc all with the V3’s. My current 55’s one truck’s hanger is shorter. The set I lined up at the shop with the 151’s were 100% same width. Other results makes sense.
[close]
Was about to buy a pair today buuuut I guess not, they need to get their shit together

Just inspect them like a weirdo at the shop, if everything lines up, buy them. The turn will have you “saved” as their new sorta slogan says :D

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1443 on: August 26, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »
I rolled the dice and bought a pair of 55s online (only one local shop in this substantial metropolitan area and it doesn't sell them).  I've been loving them since I started riding them.  They actually turn as good people say and grind curbs and coping like butter.  All this is partly undermined by the axle nuts' tendency to spontaneously tighten during sessions.  Checked for slip (lots of tapping) and it doesn't seem like that's the problem.  Anyone hear of this?  I've got on F4 conicals and Bones Reds, if that helps. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1444 on: August 26, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »
All this is partly undermined by the axle nuts' tendency to spontaneously tighten during sessions.  Checked for slip (lots of tapping) and it doesn't seem like that's the problem.  Anyone hear of this?  I've got on F4 conicals and Bones Reds, if that helps. 
I've actually experienced that on 44s but always chalked it up to a glitch in the matrix because axels aren't slipping...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

NegativeCreep

« Reply #1445 on: August 26, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
Do you have a washer between the bearing and axle nut?

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: August 26, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
I've actually experienced that on 44s but always chalked it up to a glitch in the matrix because axels aren't slipping...

I noticed the axle nuts were super easy to finger tighten when I first got them, so maybe the outside speed ring is somehow binding against the inside of the nut and twisting it clockwise when I roll forward?  That seems plausible, but if that's what is actually happening I think Ace found another new way to make something go wrong with a truck.  I'll swap out the nuts tonight and see if it makes a difference tomorrow. 

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1447 on: August 26, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »
Do you have a washer between the bearing and axle nut?

Yep, as always.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1448 on: August 27, 2019, 12:01:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace’s quality control isn’t great still, I’ve had hangers shorter than the other truck, axles off center with one side longer, etc all with the V3’s. My current 55’s one truck’s hanger is shorter. The set I lined up at the shop with the 151’s were 100% same width. Other results makes sense.
[close]
Was about to buy a pair today buuuut I guess not, they need to get their shit together

Definitely worth a shot if you can check them out in person beforehand. I've had three sets without issue, but other dudes get three lemon sets in a row, I won't defend the QC issues but I'll say it's worth a shot if only to see if they're for you.

I rolled the dice and bought a pair of 55s online (only one local shop in this substantial metropolitan area and it doesn't sell them).  I've been loving them since I started riding them.  They actually turn as good people say and grind curbs and coping like butter.  All this is partly undermined by the axle nuts' tendency to spontaneously tighten during sessions.  Checked for slip (lots of tapping) and it doesn't seem like that's the problem.  Anyone hear of this?  I've got on F4 conicals and Bones Reds, if that helps. 

Might be madness on my part but I swapped out the axle nuts on my current set for some Indy/Thunder ones I had lying around. The Ace ones seemed to be noticeably taller and with the Indy/Thunder ones I could get an extra washer on there to spread the width out a bit more. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1449 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »

The top washer is cutting into the bushing

Reese

« Reply #1450 on: August 27, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Causing presure downward causing the soft bushing to wrinkle yes, cutting no

Even at max turn there's no washer cut/contact

I've come to accept that my bushings are of the scrotum clan

chappers

« Reply #1451 on: September 01, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
for anyone else who's been trying to find RAW ace 55's in the uk - native has restocked. the other decent uk shops will probably have them this week. been waiting for a restock for ages personally so thought id give a headsup

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1452 on: September 01, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
the axle nuts' tendency to spontaneously tighten during sessions
I only have them on a cruiser but this has definitely happened to me. No slipped axle either.,

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1453 on: September 02, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote
the axle nuts' tendency to spontaneously tighten during sessions
[close]
I only have them on a cruiser but this has definitely happened to me. No slipped axle either.,

It seems to happen worst when I lock into grinds on a ledge, with the wheels pressed really snug into the side of the coping.  It's really weird, I thought the axle nuts were tightening somehow but after yesterday and today it almost seems like it's an issue with the bearings getting knocked slightly out of alignment inside the wheel.  I had been loosening one axle nut repeatedly, so I got curious to see what would happen if I whacked just that wheel--not the axle--on the ground.  I did, and the wheel was suddenly extremely wiggly, like there was at least a thread's worth of extra space along the axle from loosening it up to that point.  So I don't know.  Guess I'll just keep whacking the wheel if it keeps going screwy?

B0udoir

« Reply #1454 on: September 02, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
Do you have spacers in your wheels? The only time I had this exact same problem, it was when I removed the spacers to give a try. It was a very bad idea, it made the bearings to twist and to put pressure on the axle nuts, making them to turn and to loosen.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1455 on: September 02, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
I never skate wheels without spacers

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1456 on: September 03, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »
I never skate wheels without spacers
I think no one should
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1457 on: September 03, 2019, 10:35:19 AM »
bearing spacers are useless unless you've precision wheels.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1458 on: September 03, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »

This is what I've heard, but I use them anyway because it seems wrong somehow to just throw them in the garbage. 

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1459 on: September 03, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a green pair of 44's if one can summarize the flaws vs. pro's I'd love to read it?.......
Dueces Bitch's

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1460 on: September 03, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a green pair of 44's if one can summarize the flaws vs. pro's I'd love to read it?.......

Ask five different people you'll get five different answers.

Personally?

Pros: The best turn period. They go wherever you point them pretty much, no struggle. Takes a good amount of effort to wheelbite. Amazing bushings. Personally love the look of the hangers. 44 is an awesome size that few others offer. True mid height.

Cons: They're heavy. Heavier than standard Indy 149's. Tons of different QC issues people have reported, include - bent axles, uneven axle centering, bushing defects, washers that bind up against the bushings. And a new one in the last couple pages, axle nuts coming loose (seems more like a hardware issue).

I've been lucky and never had an issue, YMMV.   

Reese

« Reply #1461 on: September 03, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
If your bushings slip out of your washers don't get bummed out

They will eventually find their place and stop moving around if you don't chop them up from overtightening

Just had to dance with my new set today

*edit - Cute echo guys
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:55:08 AM by Reese »

UrsulaHaverbeck

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1462 on: September 03, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »
Basically if you had 10 sets of Ace trucks you'd only have 4-5 sets that aren't fucked up.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1463 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:15 PM »
why are you asking about the pros and cons if you already bought them? just go skate and find out for yourself.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: September 03, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
placebo effect or not, my wheels feel a lot more solid when I've got spacers in them!

if they are the new ones:
+ you don't have to mess with them/ add or remove parts, just break them in and they're ready to go (but yeah, as someone said up there don't go too crazy carving in the break in period otherwise they'll pop over the washers!)
+ wheelbite is hard to achieve
+ you now have the surfiest trucks in the game
+ shortens your wheelbase/ skates like old indys

- QC issues
- you mightn't like old indys?
- you mightn't like shorter wheelbase?
- you might skate tight trucks?

UrsulaHaverbeck

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1465 on: September 03, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
why are you asking about the pros and cons if you already bought them? just go skate and find out for yourself.

Seriously, what a fucking kook.

B0udoir

« Reply #1466 on: September 03, 2019, 11:19:37 PM »
+ you don't have to mess with them/ add or remove parts, just break them in and they're ready to go (but yeah, as someone said up there don't go too crazy carving in the break in period otherwise they'll pop over the washers!)
+ wheelbite is hard to achieve
+ you now have the surfiest trucks in the game
+ shortens your wheelbase/ skates like old indys

- QC issues

This.

I would also add:

+ most stable trucks in the game, compared to how loose and carvy they are.
+a light truck with perfect dimensions compared to other trucks without hollow features.

For the minus I would add:

- wear down pretty quickly. Be ready to change bushings and pivot cups every 3 months. Also they grind smoothly, butter feeling as people says, but crunchy concrete curbs will dig inside the hangers very fast.

For the QC problems, that's true that they are not perfect, but actually it was the same for all the Indys I got before moving the Aces: they all had a defect somewhere out of the box. I find that only Thunders were consistant in terms of QC. But things are evolving quickly nowadays...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1467 on: September 04, 2019, 01:37:15 AM »
Ace pros:
- Best turn by far
- You know exactly when wheelbite is about to occur. Very predictable and doesn’t wheelbite easily at all even with 54 mm wheels
- Loose goodness
- Awesome bushings
- I like how they look

Ace cons:
- Joey T backs Jason Jessee
- Pivot cups blow out somewhat easily
- Pop isn’t as magical as on Ventures for example
- Stock washers suck. Small and thick. Changed mine to Indy washers and am much happier with those
- No hollow, forged, titanium, w/e options
- Some ppl have had problems with axle nuts tightening. Mine are getting loose. Might have to swap them out if that’d help.

I personally haven’t had any QC issues with mine. Bought two sets from a guy here years ago who had been skating them with Bones bushings and they had loose kingpins. I put some steel epoxy on the pins and they’ve been good ever since. Haven’t managed to get the kingpins loose in any of my other sets.

Aces will make your wheelbase shorter than pretty much any other truck. Longer noses and tails, better turn, less stability. Might be a bit too much on a short wheelbase board depending on what you like. Long noses and tails might feel a bit off too. I’ve noticed that in general short tails at least have been working really nice for me on Aces.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1468 on: September 04, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
Thank you for you guy's input, my wife bought them for me online for dirt cheap $26,57 for a pair. I mean flaws or not that is a hella steal for a set of trucks my size. If it is flawed I can always switch back to Indy's. I just wanted to hear the consensus on you guy's experience. My local the shop owner is a cheap fucker where the sales rep for whatever brands that come through Nike, Huf, Converse etc and other shit and buy the discounted older gear and sell it for highend prices. I checked out his Ace's and they looked cheapy like a Target Speed Demons or Darkstar type of trucks no telling if he would buy the discontinued older models. I have heard they are rad for loose trucks and I am stoked to try them, I have my reservations I do skate with loose as shit trucks I just needed to know beforehand what to expect so I can mentally prepare and reassure myself.
Dueces Bitch's

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1469 on: September 05, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »
any confirmation/dates on the new sizes? been debating whether or not to get 66s because, allegedly, that size is gonna be discontinued, and i don't want to give ace another chance just because of some unfounded rumors.