Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747424 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2430 on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I heard lots about how non-stock bushings can get torn apart in Aces, but it never happened to me in the past year or so of skating Aces.  Then, in one session, they went from all-good to this

[close]

Does this happen to mediums too or soft only? Bones softs always break for me, and I weigh 150 pounds.

I've had this happen (not like this tho) with Kirho softs (with the metal inserts 73a?) they were shredded in a less than an hour.

Old bushings? That bottom looks suspect already with the plastic not looking bonded with the urethane

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2431 on: August 07, 2020, 04:23:43 AM »
Probably going to regret this but what's up with these trucks. I love Ventures, like Thunder and dislike Indys. I know these trucks suck the WB in more than Indys so they give a very light pop. Thinking of trying either the Ace 03 or the 44, either for a regular street deck or to get myself to learn to carve a bowl instead of tic tacking like an idiot 1/2 way up the tranny.

What can I expect and what boards & dims would pair well with Ace? I usually ride 8-8.125 boards, 8.25 if I'm feeling risky.

The only trucks I ride currently are either Ace 44 or Venture 5.6, both on an 8.38 with 14.25 WB. Both are great but are just different. I can carve transition much better on Ace but my fliptricks feel fantastic on ventures. Both have a nice grind but I would give ace the edge on chunky ledges. Manuals on ace feel easier to pop into but are a little sloppy whereas on venture i'm not quite as consistent but when i'm in the manual feels locked into place. Ventures also feel nice with a little bit more room on the nose/tail.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2432 on: August 07, 2020, 08:49:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably going to regret this but what's up with these trucks. I love Ventures, like Thunder and dislike Indys. I know these trucks suck the WB in more than Indys so they give a very light pop. Thinking of trying either the Ace 03 or the 44, either for a regular street deck or to get myself to learn to carve a bowl instead of tic tacking like an idiot 1/2 way up the tranny.

What can I expect and what boards & dims would pair well with Ace? I usually ride 8-8.125 boards, 8.25 if I'm feeling risky.
[close]

The only trucks I ride currently are either Ace 44 or Venture 5.6, both on an 8.38 with 14.25 WB. Both are great but are just different. I can carve transition much better on Ace but my fliptricks feel fantastic on ventures. Both have a nice grind but I would give ace the edge on chunky ledges. Manuals on ace feel easier to pop into but are a little sloppy whereas on venture i'm not quite as consistent but when i'm in the manual feels locked into place. Ventures also feel nice with a little bit more room on the nose/tail.

Correct summation of the two maximum polar opposite ends of the spectrum; I'd put indys smack in the middle.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2433 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've had both and am a bit confused by this last bit. Wouldn't the longer wb of the ventures make the nose and tail seem more cramped (wheels creeping further out from the middle)? Other than that, your descriptions of the pros and cons seem spot on.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2434 on: August 07, 2020, 09:25:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I've had both and am a bit confused by this last bit. Wouldn't the longer wb of the ventures make the nose and tail seem more cramped (wheels creeping further out from the middle)? Other than that, your descriptions of the pros and cons seem spot on.

I probably wrote it wrong. I meant if the deck itself has a longer nose and tail it's nice. (Because of the creep you mentioned)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2435 on: August 07, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I probably wrote it wrong. I meant if the deck itself has a longer nose and tail it's nice. (Because of the creep you mentioned)
Ah gotcha! I read that as ventures give you a bit more room on nose and tail. All makes sense now thanks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2436 on: August 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
I may have asked before, but anyone remember what the upcoming size revisions will be? I think @Frank and Fred posted it under his old handle but now I can't remember.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2437 on: August 07, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
I may have asked before, but anyone remember what the upcoming size revisions will be? I think @Frank and Fred posted it under his old handle but now I can't remember.

Just going to standard incremental .25" sizing, far as I know.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2438 on: August 07, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just going to standard incremental .25" sizing, far as I know.
i thought its was going to be
8 = 33
8.3 = 44
8.6 = 55
9 = 66

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2439 on: August 07, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
Its been noted on here pages back but according to people in the know here's how the new axle sizing was going:

44s 8.25
55s 8.5
66s 8.75
77s 9.125

Someone from Ace confirmed with me that they were working on a size between the current 44s and 55s on Facebook.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2440 on: August 07, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Its been noted on here pages back but according to people in the know here's how the new axle sizing was going:

44s 8.25
55s 8.5
66s 8.75
77s 9.125

Someone from Ace confirmed with me that they were working on a size between the current 44s and 55s on Facebook.
[close]

Thanks, thats rad. I do wish they were still going to do a straight 9", been very in love with my 55s recently after swapping out a bad pivot cup.

Edit: for whatever reason, the idea of an 8.6 as per @pointandclick seems really cool to me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:42:24 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #2441 on: August 10, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Are they going to change all the hanger molds, or is it only an axle length modification ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2442 on: August 12, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
Is there a rough date on the release of the newer models? Ive been dying for a pair of Aces but ride an 8.5. Worth holding off for the newer model to get the correct size?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2443 on: August 12, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »
This thread is a goddamn disease - I visited it once and I now have 4 pairs of Ace trucks on the way to my residence. 2 x 44s, 1 x 03 and 1 x 33.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:54:22 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #2444 on: August 12, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
I heard lots about how non-stock bushings can get torn apart in Aces, but it never happened to me in the past year or so of skating Aces.  Then, in one session, they went from all-good to this

man!  i replaced these with a new set of bones soft, and in one session the top bushing was destroyed again!  What are the recommendations for aftermarket replacement bushings for Ace that will keep things as loose as possible with minimal break-in period?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #2445 on: August 12, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
maybe the rubber is past due..and plus weathering factor..

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2446 on: August 12, 2020, 08:54:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
man!  i replaced these with a new set of bones soft, and in one session the top bushing was destroyed again!  What are the recommendations for aftermarket replacement bushings for Ace that will keep things as loose as possible with minimal break-in period?

I've been running some mini logo mediums for a couple of days and they feel nice and didn't take long to break in. Bottom is the same height as Ace, the top is probably like 1mm off. The softs (84a) might be worth a shot.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:12:43 AM by FrozenIndustries »

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2447 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
Is there a rough date on the release of the newer models? Ive been dying for a pair of Aces but ride an 8.5. Worth holding off for the newer model to get the correct size?

Plenty of people run 44s on 8.5s with extra speed rings on the inside. I've done it and it feels great, not a magic carpet by any stretch.

DaleCooper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2448 on: August 12, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Plenty of people run 44s on 8.5s with extra speed rings on the inside. I've done it and it feels great, not a magic carpet by any stretch.

big true. I'm on 44's with indy white bushings and 3 washers on the inside of the axle. Highly recommend.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2449 on: August 12, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace currently makes the best bushings possibly ever. Try their 'low' bushings so you can get looser.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2450 on: August 12, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
so 8.35 44s will be extinct after the new run?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #2451 on: August 12, 2020, 06:54:37 PM »
any tips on riding ace loose without the nut coming loose?  i tried taking off the bottom washer, but they keep getting squirrely over the course of the session.  gonna put the bottom washer back on and try it without the top. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2452 on: August 12, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
any tips on riding ace loose without the nut coming loose?  i tried taking off the bottom washer, but they keep getting squirrely over the course of the session.  gonna put the bottom washer back on and try it without the top.

Haven't tried it but what about the flat top washer (ala Bones) that people use to get their Ventures deeper?

iamok

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2453 on: August 14, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »

On indy 149 axel is 216mm, on ace 44 its 213mm. You could use 3 speed rings on the inside to get the exact same feel. Or wider wheels. Maybe both.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2454 on: August 14, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »

ace high bushings on the bottom, ace low bushings on top.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2455 on: August 15, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »

Just heard Ace might have a struggle getting trucks made until October or so. No word on the new versions. If you want to try some Ace, I'd say don't wait for the new models and snap them up up now as they are running dry out there.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2456 on: August 15, 2020, 08:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just heard Ace might have a struggle getting trucks made until October or so. No word on the new versions. If you want to try some Ace, I'd say don't wait for the new models and snap them up up now as they are running dry out there.

bummer!

afaik no new versions until at least next year
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2457 on: August 16, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the heads up. I am back in my hometown for the week, and hearing this was the excuse I needed to visit my old local and grab a backup set of 55s.

WHYAMIDOINGTHIS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2458 on: August 20, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
So i like to ride my trucks without the top washer and with the nut flush with the kingpin but for some reason with aces when i hand tighten them they make the kingpin stickout so basically i have to tighten them a lot more than i want to or the nuts will fall  off, and it trips me out, how can i fix this?

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2459 on: August 20, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »
So i like to ride my trucks without the top washer and with the nut flush with the kingpin but for some reason with aces when i hand tighten them they make the kingpin stickout so basically i have to tighten them a lot more than i want to or the nuts will fall  off, and it trips me out, how can i fix this?
Ride your skateboard