Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748007 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3120 on: March 19, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
AF1s will also (allegedly) have those forged plates we saw on the ‘gram a while back. Maybe even some hollow axles and/or pins.
Still have no intel on any planned size changes with those, or the classic series.
Personally, I’m only interested in forged plates if they maintain the same height. Def not looking to go lower, as I like my wheels around 54-56 zone, and I hate pitching myself on fakie roll aways due to wheel bite.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3121 on: March 19, 2021, 09:50:26 AM »
52mm is low enough, agreed. Don’t think many went lower than that. Seems like a lot of ace riders use risers

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #3122 on: March 19, 2021, 10:20:17 AM »
I think my bar is a little lower than some in this thread. I will be copping a set of the AF1s for the 8.5 axle no matter what. If there is even an attempt at making the axles stronger or less prone to bending, that's a bonus. I don't mind if this generation isn't some sort of scientific truck breakthrough, but it also wouldn't hurt if there was some new baseplate or kingpin tech.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3123 on: March 19, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
I think my bar is a little lower than some in this thread. I will be copping a set of the AF1s for the 8.5 axle no matter what. If there is even an attempt at making the axles stronger or less prone to bending, that's a bonus. I don't mind if this generation isn't some sort of scientific truck breakthrough, but it also wouldn't hurt if there was some new baseplate or kingpin tech.
Yeah, I’m fine w/ them as they are now, also, as well, too.
All I really want from a new Ace is 8.5 & 8.75 axles.
Maybe a stronger axle? But, in fairness, I say that as somebody who is yet to bend a set myself.
I did pick up another set of 55s a li’l bit ago, as insurance against said bend, as well as a “just in case,” should they decide to fuck around w/ the geo & wreck that sweet turn.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3124 on: March 19, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
Something I'm curious about with aces is how people skate them. They have more of a demographic of more tranny based and slappy skaters, but I just wanna throw out there the question of who on here is skating aces and doing more street skating? Flatground, ledges, rails etc.? Just genuinely curious.

IpathCats

« Reply #3125 on: March 19, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »
Something I'm curious about with aces is how people skate them. They have more of a demographic of more tranny based and slappy skaters, but I just wanna throw out there the question of who on here is skating aces and doing more street skating? Flatground, ledges, rails etc.? Just genuinely curious.

They work well for street skating. But in regards to "how people skate them" I've noticed a lot of ace riders have this interesting sort of stance, and when I rode them, I noticed myself even doing it sometimes. Feet closer together with the knees bent inward some. Watch oski, shin, Ronnie sandoval, villie wester (however you spell it) they all do it.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3126 on: March 19, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
AF1s will also (allegedly) have those forged plates we saw on the ‘gram a while back. Maybe even some hollow axles and/or pins.
Still have no intel on any planned size changes with those, or the classic series.
Personally, I’m only interested in forged plates if they maintain the same height. Def not looking to go lower, as I like my wheels around 54-56 zone, and I hate pitching myself on fakie roll aways due to wheel bite.

Not calling bullshit or anything, but if they were doing that with the new releases, wouldn't any/all of that be highlighted in the new ad copy? Closest is the vague "proprietary" thing with the baseplates. I'd love it if it were true but I ain't holding my breath.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3127 on: March 19, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not calling bullshit or anything, but if they were doing that with the new releases, wouldn't any/all of that be highlighted in the new ad copy? Closest is the vague "proprietary" thing with the baseplates. I'd love it if it were true but I ain't holding my breath.

Forged plates are thinner for every truck company, this we know. I can only guess that since the new aces (based just on looks in that ad) are still 'cast size' so if they are saying/sticking with the forged, we're either getting a thick forged plate or some weirdo hybrid cast plate made differently.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3128 on: March 19, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They work well for street skating. But in regards to "how people skate them" I've noticed a lot of ace riders have this interesting sort of stance, and when I rode them, I noticed myself even doing it sometimes. Feet closer together with the knees bent inward some. Watch oski, shin, Ronnie sandoval, villie wester (however you spell it) they all do it.
legs like that for a quicker snap/pop with the shortened wb? my biggest thing was the pop angle with back foot placement needing to be further away from the tip of the tail. maybe pair with a steeper deck? less fingers of flat?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3129 on: March 19, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Forged plates are thinner for every truck company, this we know. I can only guess that since the new aces (based just on looks in that ad) are still 'cast size' so if they are saying/sticking with the forged, we're either getting a thick forged plate or some weirdo hybrid cast plate made differently.

They are but that's not a restriction of the process . Forged allows you to have thinner aluminum, so companies - I assume - do it to have a lower size/weight option and save money on materials. The process would allow for 'normal' thickness plates, but you wouldn't be saving weight (unless you went all Venture on underside), and it'd be more expensive to make. 

IpathCats

« Reply #3130 on: March 19, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
legs like that for a quicker snap/pop with the shortened wb? my biggest thing was the pop angle with back foot placement needing to be further away from the tip of the tail. maybe pair with a steeper deck? less fingers of flat?

I assume it has something to do with the shortened WB mixed with their surfy nature. Not entirely sure though. Look for it, and you will definitely notice it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3131 on: March 19, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They are but that's not a restriction of the process . Forged allows you to have thinner aluminum, so companies - I assume - do it to have a lower size/weight option and save money on materials. The process would allow for 'normal' thickness plates, but you wouldn't be saving weight (unless you went all Venture on underside), and it'd be more expensive to make. 

Any idea if 'cast thick' forged plates would be same the same weight maybe? and if more expensive totally not worth it.

Which brings up a good point, assuming these new AF1s might be slightly more $$ than 'classics'

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3132 on: March 19, 2021, 02:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Any idea if 'cast thick' forged plates would be same the same weight maybe? and if more expensive totally not worth it.

Which brings up a good point, assuming these new AF1s might be slightly more $$ than 'classics'

Depends on the process and tolerances I suppose. Forged, you're working with a solid billet of aluminum. But a quality gravity cast truck *should* be pretty free of air-bubbles, so any weight difference *should* be negligible. Definitely a more expensive process and materials, so yeah, forged at the same height/thickness wouldn't make much sense. But you could have some pretty serious weight relief on the underside of the baseplate without affecting the durability. All theoretical of course, cause as you said I don't think anyone makes a standard thickness forged plate.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3133 on: March 19, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indeed, but the other thing I didn’t see in the ad copy was any mention of AF1. Maybe these are just the latest iteration of the classics, while the next/new truck is still around the...
I don’t know, homey. I haven’t even seen the advert in real life, only on here. My conjecture is based on publicly available info, as well as a couple rando convos I had with people in position to sniff what was coming down the ol’ flume of effluvia (Ace team dudes I occasionally skate with.)
There’s no reason to take my speculation any more seriously than anybody else’s, and I offer my apology if I came off sounding like an insider with secret knowledge.
Could well be that these new jawns have that Ace “rings logo” pattern under them, or that or that those forged-looking plates we saw were actually just CNCd jobbers to serve as prototypes, or... who knows?
Pretty sure they’d mention a forged plate in the advert, if’n they were gonna run with them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:56:17 PM by Lou Strux »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3134 on: March 19, 2021, 03:15:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Indeed, but the other thing I didn’t see in the ad copy was any mention of AF1. Maybe these are just the latest iteration of the classics, while the next/new truck is still around the...
I don’t know, homey. I haven’t even seen the advert in real life, only on here. My conjecture is based on publicly available info, as well as a couple rando convos I had with people in position to sniff what was coming down the ol’ flume of effluvia (Ace team dudes I occasionally skate with.)
There’s no reason to take my speculation any more seriously than anybody else’s, and I offer my apology if I came off sounding like an insider with secret knowledge.
Could well be that these new jawns have that Ace “rings logo” pattern under them, or that or that those forged-looking plates we saw were actually just CNCd jobbers to serve as prototypes, or... who knows?
Pretty sure they’d mention a forged plate in the advert, if’n they were gonna run with them.

No worries at all. I dig the speculation all the same. It's interesting to have seen these sorta get r&d'd on the ground, seeing a pic here or there of some prototypes jobs, even if only 20% of it makes it to the final product. Seeing dudes like Oski having the prototypes on their setups leads me to believe there's actual rider to designer conversations happening about the final product, which is always cool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:49:10 PM by palelight »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3135 on: March 19, 2021, 05:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They are heavier. At least the prototypes were.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3136 on: March 19, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »

Got some of the Ace axle and kingpin re-threader nuts gifted to be from the local. But no news from anyone on the actual truck drop date....

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3137 on: March 19, 2021, 09:03:34 PM »

Indeed, but the other thing I didn’t see in the ad copy was any mention of AF1.

I cropped the whole ad down to see all the text, but forgot to put up the two page from Thrasher May 2021 after all that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3138 on: March 19, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
When they say “Introducing the most technical truck ever made” they mean the most technical truck THEY’ve ever made, right?!?
I mean... I’m a big fan of these these trucks, but absent some weight saving hollowness here & there, as well as forged plates, interlocking bushies, or some other gimmick, they strike me as the same old, stone-axe simple, Ace trucks I know & love.
Where’s all this technical advancement hiding?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3139 on: March 20, 2021, 04:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I cropped the whole ad down to see all the text, but forgot to put up the two page from Thrasher May 2021 after all that.

Does the axle engraving say 8.25? Any one know the new sizing chart? I was hoping for hollows etc but as long as they are more durable with better QC I'll give them a try. I have been wanting to make the jump for awhile.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3140 on: March 20, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This gives me hope that the Classic line will be left untouched.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3141 on: March 20, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »

Any one know the new sizing chart?

it was posted on here awhile back but a few people heard axle size is going like this for the Af 1s:

33 8"
44 8.25"
55 8.5"
66 8.75"
77 9.125"

This will be wonderfully confusing if the Classics stay the same sizes. Rad though.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #3142 on: March 20, 2021, 08:37:50 AM »
def cop. been meaning to step down to 8.25 - 8.125 and axle rethreader is a good choice, cant see how it can come off gimmicky.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3143 on: March 20, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
def cop. been meaning to step down to 8.25 - 8.125 and axle rethreader is a good choice, cant see how it can come off gimmicky.

Including a standalone retheader is indeed pretty cool of them. I think people were chirping on the "self rethreading axle nuts," which sounds like another go at the 38 specials they did a few years ago.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3144 on: March 20, 2021, 04:52:51 PM »
Should call the new A1 model like 44a 55a etc if so. Or we can, but the fact the new “55a1” is 9.125” and the 55 original is 9” is just straight up confusing.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3145 on: March 20, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
When they say “Introducing the most technical truck ever made” they mean the most technical truck THEY’ve ever made, right?!?
I mean... I’m a big fan of these these trucks, but absent some weight saving hollowness here & there, as well as forged plates, interlocking bushies, or some other gimmick, they strike me as the same old, stone-axe simple, Ace trucks I know & love.
Where’s all this technical advancement hiding?

Not to mention that "most technical" is absolutely devoid of any meaning
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3146 on: March 21, 2021, 08:05:17 AM »
Trucks are meant to turn and grind right?
Yeah, ACE are the best at that technical aspect of their existence.

Joey out there teasing new AF1 55s this morning in his gram stories. Jah bless.

Truthfully, sadly being that I ride 9" boards on everything, probs gonna have to stick with the classic 55s.
ok thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3147 on: March 21, 2021, 08:06:07 AM »
Closeup of the AF1 55:

Metal and finish look different then the current Version.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #3148 on: March 21, 2021, 09:02:28 AM »
Closeup of the AF1 55:

Metal and finish look different then the current Version.

Looks like new engraving and the 55 is on the opposite side too.

But I’m also dumb they could be using some camera trickery.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #3149 on: March 21, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »
i ride a 8.25 with venture 5.6 and an 8.38 with 149s, but i'm trying to consolidate to one set up and i'm thinking about going ACE. would 44s be good for an 8.25 and not stick out? i feel like this question has been answered before but, i was just curious.