Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747259 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3570 on: April 15, 2021, 03:41:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn in that pic of the new aces they got bones bushing in them. That’s kinda disheartening considering most love ace stock bushings. Also just thinking out loud I prefer ace to Indy. But if they got the same wheel base extension ( and completely ignored what customers want of a new rev.) as Indy. Why not skate Indy and get the option of a hollow or ti.
[close]

Or just keep skating the classics, which might be my approach.

Yep, waiting for the tape measurer and AF1 bearer to decide for me if Im getting them.
[close]

I can't take a pic cuz I'm too dumb to use a camera and tape measure with both hands, but using a 8.38 AH Eagle with 14.5" wheelbase gives me an axle to axle of 17.5"... so the AF1's add +3.00" to the wheelbase

Alright now were talking. What was the Classics +? 2.75"?
ok thanks

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3571 on: April 15, 2021, 03:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn in that pic of the new aces they got bones bushing in them. That’s kinda disheartening considering most love ace stock bushings. Also just thinking out loud I prefer ace to Indy. But if they got the same wheel base extension ( and completely ignored what customers want of a new rev.) as Indy. Why not skate Indy and get the option of a hollow or ti.
[close]

Yep, waiting for the tape measurer and AF1 bearer to decide for me if Im getting them.
[close]

I can't take a pic cuz I'm too dumb to use a camera and tape measure with both hands, but using a 8.38 AH Eagle with 14.5" wheelbase gives me an axle to axle of 17.5"... so the AF1's add +3.00" to the wheelbase
[close]

Yeah +2.75", at least according to what people have posted here in the past

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3572 on: April 15, 2021, 03:53:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, that was the most reported measurement for original Aces. Some were +/- a 1/16" in the older wheelbase thread, but I'd say +2.75"

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3573 on: April 15, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
Yes. Classics were +2.75”

That’s pretty big news (IF TRUE) and will confirm something changed with the geo. So the A1 specs saying “all these features with the geometry you know and love” were kind of a lie

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3574 on: April 15, 2021, 04:07:26 PM »
Yes. Classics were +2.75”

That’s pretty big news (IF TRUE) and will confirm something changed with the geo. So the A1 specs saying “all these features with the geometry you know and love” were kind of a lie

Not to defend them at all, because if the turning changed, well fuck that, but they might have meant in terms of Kingpin angle? and the hanger's design just has it sitting further back? idk
ok thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3575 on: April 15, 2021, 04:30:30 PM »
I'm just going to stay out of this hypothetical argument until we get to touch them tomorrow.

Ha, yeah crazy in here right about now isn't it?

Release new truck but keep it under wraps: Check!

Create hype: Check!

Create controversy:  Check!

Finally release truck:   (oh so close now)

Nothing I have seen or read is going to change my opinion about Ace, regardless of what they have done with it, but all in good time things will become clear.

The classics in various sizes I have had and skated worked well, so I may or may not try a pair of AF1 55s down the road, depending on what is available and for how much.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3576 on: April 15, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, that was the most reported measurement for original Aces. Some were +/- a 1/16" in the older wheelbase thread, but I'd say +2.75"

This semi confirms all the photos I posted. They did fuck with the wb.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3577 on: April 15, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Its all over. The dream is sitting in the mud of St Thomas staring at a half finished Jamaican mini ramp.

Oh well... Guess I'll get to axle on my classics and then kill myself.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: April 15, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »
Its all over. The dream is sitting in the mud of St Thomas staring at a half finished Jamaican mini ramp.

Eh just buy another set of 55s after. They said theyre staying in the line up
ok thanks

DaleCooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #3579 on: April 15, 2021, 05:44:45 PM »
Wheelbase has not changed.

The funny thing is: that's what i'm bummed about.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3580 on: April 15, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I’ll keep with the classics just kinda like if they basically made a current Indy from a business standpoint they may have shot their selves in the foot.

I’m also curious if I can put the new hangers on classic base plates and if that works will it be skating a classic as far as turn and wheel base extension but you get the bonus of the new materials and an 8.5 hanger or whatever size a person skates. This is kinda the route I’m thinking of going.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3581 on: April 15, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This semi confirms all the photos I posted. They did fuck with the wb.

Very possibly. Probably wanna wait until they drop wide to confirm, but you may be right.

On the other hand if that is the case, maybe I'm being short-sighted. If they still offer the classics as they've always been, and offer people/pro's a genuine alternative to Indy they might be able to scoop people up who don't wanna deal with the NHS noise but were hesitant to make the jump....?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3582 on: April 15, 2021, 05:55:30 PM »
ok thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3583 on: April 15, 2021, 06:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Wheelbase has not changed.

[close]

It hasnt?

Spill the tea, agent C.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3584 on: April 15, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Eh just buy another set of 55s after. They said theyre staying in the line up

Will do. Side note, My local isn't getting them in just yet. I'm not in any hurry to buy these online.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3585 on: April 15, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
Not sure what going on anymore

But ace has a video dropping tmrw on thrasher?

And it’s “our turn”

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3586 on: April 15, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
I have a dipshit kid telling me to look through the Ace stories in regard to my wheelbase question.

Some mother fuckers still out there thinking that means truck width.
ok thanks

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #3587 on: April 15, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »
I said it way earlier in this thread but ace really fucked up with this whole af1 thing. If they wouldve just kept the classic line exactly the same and added three new sizes, 49 for 8.5, 51 for 8.75 and 77 for 9.5, everybody wouldve been happy.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3588 on: April 15, 2021, 09:04:55 PM »
Conspiracy theory time: they made them more like stage 11 Indys to lure even more of the rider base away from NHS. Same geometry you know and love (if you already ride Indys.)
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3589 on: April 15, 2021, 09:14:05 PM »
I have a dipshit kid telling me to look through the Ace stories in regard to my wheelbase question.

Some mother fuckers still out there thinking that means truck width.

Ha yeah!

If only there was a "Kook" or similar button on Instagram...

There have been a few other posts I have seen with people arguing about things like that when they actually don't have a clue, it would seem.

Good times!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3590 on: April 16, 2021, 02:14:51 AM »
Who asked for Ace trucks to turn less :o

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3591 on: April 16, 2021, 02:54:44 AM »

Have you tried them?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3592 on: April 16, 2021, 03:39:56 AM »
I was waiting to see how much the AF1's would cost in Europe, other than in that Polish website, because they use a different currency in Poland. 
So it seems like it is 40 euros a truck, 80 EUROS A SET.
https://www.bonkers-shop.com/product/skateboarding/trucks/ace-trucks-af1-44-truck-polished/
That's 10euros more than a set of regular Indys (and I always thought they were a bit expensive), is the 10 euros extra for the re-threader nut I dont need?! 

I'm also having a hard time seeing where is this the "most technical truck ever made".
They essentially just corrected what was wrong with the classics, which should be a given by now.
If you take the marketing filter of the way this is what you'll see:
- "No more shitty aluminium guys, we got the good stuff now"
- "good axles too, fingers crossed they dont bend now"
- "we hollowed the baseplate like all the other brands"
- "we made our washers fit the bushings"
- "no more shitty pivot cups too"
- "we also put a re-threader nut that no one asked for"
- "oh, and by the way we're charging 10$ more then all our competition for essentially the same product".
In what what way is this a game changer truck?
I know most of you don't care and will buy them anyway, but to me this is just a glorified standard truck with a hefty price tag.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3593 on: April 16, 2021, 03:48:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you tried them?

Geometry. You set the axles more far apart, it's going to turn less - whether it's a car or a skateboard. Ace trucks turn the best because they set your axles in the most of all trucks. Now that they have walked it back it makes sense that they would call this truck "technical" in the promotional materials. To me these seem like Indy Mids for dudes that don't want to ride Indy. But correct me if I'm wrong. This is all given that the reports of increased wheelbase are true. I'm staying on the Classics.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3594 on: April 16, 2021, 04:00:21 AM »
So they’re making their own risers and hardware now as well

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3595 on: April 16, 2021, 04:57:29 AM »
Hanger et all specs for 55 and 66.

edit: looks like the site has all specs for all trucks. 65 bucks a set yikes.

Some of our speculation was off, hanger on the classic 55 is 6.37"
AF1 66 is 6.4" / 163mm

Polish site weeks ago showed the hanger had shrunk on the 9" truck.
I mean it's 3/100ths of an inch but at least it didnt shrink.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:20:39 AM by bigdave »
ok thanks

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: April 16, 2021, 05:21:38 AM »
Weight measurements in ounces too. But yeah the AF1 66 have a 9” axle, and weigh 411g. With a 163mm hanger.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3597 on: April 16, 2021, 05:24:33 AM »
Weight measurements in ounces too. But yeah the AF1 66 have a 9” axle, and weigh 411g. With a 163mm hanger.

What's a 55 classic weigh? Truck weight is the least of my concerns at this point, but just curious.
The hanger width was important to me, that checks out. Just want to know about the wheelbase, but I am probably gonna order them this morning.

Also it looks like these are 1mm taller? going to 53 from 52 in the classics?

edit: now I see classics are also 53mm, at least on the Ace site where they profile the different trucks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:50:51 AM by bigdave »
ok thanks

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3598 on: April 16, 2021, 05:27:23 AM »
I really like ace but I'm not too stoked on the 65$ price tag for a set of 44's

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3599 on: April 16, 2021, 05:32:43 AM »
I really like ace but I'm not too stoked on the 65$ price tag for a set of 44's

I am trying to think of the price increase as justified through a longer lasting truck, but that wasn't something I needed or wanted. Just figure like a prorated additional cost would hopefully be stratified in a longer truck life.

The upfront hurts. I can afford it, but that's a chunk to ask someone for right now. It's also gonna affect the price of a fam walking into buy their kid a christmas complete pretty significantly.
ok thanks