Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747352 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3630 on: April 16, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
@skateandphotos  gnarred for doing gods work.

On deck axle to axle. Would be sick. Also when you skate them. Will you post  about first impressions and such? Since you skated the classics you have a good baseline to compare them etc. also what classics did you skate? Which af1 size did you go for?  Your pick has me back thinking about ordering some. Neither local of mine carry ace.

skateandphotos

• Rep: 11
  • I just wanna ollie everyting
« Reply #3631 on: April 16, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was gonna say. I dont think this is the best test, the best is an actual measurement on the same board, but that does look like a slight difference...
[close]
I have two dlx 8.25's I could put the trucks on and measure the wheelbase to see they precise difference
[close]

If you dont mind, I think we would all be eternally grateful.
Just finished so the classics with a 14.38 wb sit at 17 inches and the af1 sit right between 17.25 and 17.38

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3632 on: April 16, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »
Just finished so the classics with a 14.38 wb sit at 17 inches and the af1 sit right between 17.25 and 17.38

Dang. And the world was never the same.

skateandphotos

« Reply #3633 on: April 16, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »

On deck axle to axle. Would be sick. Also when you skate them. Will you post  about first impressions and such? Since you skated the classics you have a good baseline to compare them etc. also what classics did you skate? Which af1 size did you go for?  Your pick has me back thinking about ordering some. Neither local of mine carry ace.
Yeah no problem I could make a youtube video if you guys would like I dont mind at all. I have the 44 classics and I got the AF1 55's because I just bought some thunder 148s for my 8.25s

skateandphotos

« Reply #3634 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah no problem I could make a youtube video if you guys would like I dont mind at all. I have the 44 classics and I got the AF1 55's because I just bought some thunder 148s for my 8.25s
The classics I have, have brand new ace bushings that I skated for maybe 15 20 minutes before rolling my ankle bad so I could also compare the new bushings to the old ones if you want to see that too

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3635 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was gonna say. I dont think this is the best test, the best is an actual measurement on the same board, but that does look like a slight difference...
[close]
I have two dlx 8.25's I could put the trucks on and measure the wheelbase to see they precise difference
[close]

[close]

Well fuck.
Only thing left are some rider reviews.
ok thanks

skateandphotos

« Reply #3636 on: April 16, 2021, 10:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Well fuck.
Hopefully I can skate tomorrow its raining and snowing in southern mass right now so if its dry enough ill go to my local park tomorrow morning and make a first impression video for you all

seb

• Rep: 43
« Reply #3637 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
Been skating af1 55s the last couple days. I use my old bushings from classic 44s I was skating before and the turn feels exactly the same.

mbam003

« Reply #3638 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:49 AM »
My guess is that they extended the wheelbase because some riders on the team, particularly the one hitting gnarly street spots and rails, needed it. What are they going to do, ride Indy? Everyone else can stay on Classics. Hyping the truck up to be the next evolution of Ace seems to be very miscalculated in my mind. Also this will make me question whether a trick in an Ace video was done on the classics or AF1, because the difference in geometry will obviously make them have different qualities in riding as well. With the information we have right now, it's safe to say AF1 will be similar to Indy Mid or Stage 10, which means more tech, more speed, more gaps, more rails, but less carving.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3639 on: April 16, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
Not to derail the convo here, but my local just got Film trucks in and I'm in need of new trucks - not sure if I should stick to 44 classics (been on these for the last 8 months and love em), give the AF1s a try, or take a run at Films... I'm not massively opposed to trying new things, but just wondered if any serious Ace lovers here have rode Films and have a decent comparison.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3640 on: April 16, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
Ace Fanboys when they hear about the wheelbase being extended:

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

skateandphotos

« Reply #3641 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
My guess is that they extended the wheelbase because some riders on the team, particularly the one hitting gnarly street spots and rails, needed it. What are they going to do, ride Indy? Everyone else can stay on Classics. Hyping the truck up to be the next evolution of Ace seems to be very miscalculated in my mind. Also this will make me question whether a trick in an Ace video was done on the classics or AF1, because the difference in geometry will obviously make them have different qualities in riding as well. With the information we have right now, it's safe to say AF1 will be similar to Indy Mid or Stage 10, which means more tech, more speed, more gaps, more rails, but less carving.
Good point I'm wondering if they'll feel more stable as well with the wider wb. I definitely agree with you it seems they want to make a middle ground truck that can accommodate the broad range of wheel bases on the market especially the smaller sized boards 

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #3642 on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Well fuck.
[close]
Hopefully I can skate tomorrow its raining and snowing in southern mass right now so if its dry enough ill go to my local park tomorrow morning and make a first impression video for you all

Gnar'd

Thanks man
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

skateandphotos

« Reply #3643 on: April 16, 2021, 11:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Well fuck.
[close]
[close]

Gnar'd

Thanks man
no problem I'll edit and upload it as soon as I can

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3644 on: April 16, 2021, 11:25:20 AM »
Ace Fanboys when they hear about the wheelbase being extended:

Literally no one is doing this. I ordered a pair knowing this was possible. Ill adjust, probably enjoy them, and life will go on. If I dont like them, the classics arent going anywhere.
ok thanks

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #3645 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
Has anybody switched to ace after riding super light trucks like thunder hollows?
Does the change in wheelbase possibly compensate the weight or is there still a huge difference?
You guys really make me want to try these

skateandphotos

« Reply #3646 on: April 16, 2021, 11:34:46 AM »
Has anybody switched to ace after riding super light trucks like thunder hollows?
Does the change in wheelbase possibly compensate the weight or is there still a huge difference?
I skated two setups at one point last summer one with indy titaniums and one with ace 44's personally I didn't find a huge difference besides the obvious weight but for me its mostly wheelbase and steepness of the kicks that being said personally it wasn't a huge difference.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3647 on: April 16, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
I went and got 77s for the sake of science, ace risers and shock pads as well. I figured my 9.18 was too small so I got a Scram 9.75" to try them with. I don't think I am going to skate them today but I will also do some thorough measuring and report back.

IMHO truck height and axle placement have way more to do with how light or heave a truck feels than a couple grams. People will say otherwise but we are talking about a couple coins in the pocket worth of weight.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #3648 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
IMHO truck height and axle placement have way more to do with how light or heave a truck feels than a couple grams. People will say otherwise but we are talking about a couple coins in the pocket worth of weight.

That's definitely true, but my thunder titaniums are the same height and almost 100g lighter than the ace 44s I'm considering. Haven't really tried any standard weight trucks in a long time. Might be time to man up

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3649 on: April 16, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's definitely true, but my thunder titaniums are the same height and almost 100g lighter than the ace 44s I'm considering. Haven't really tried any standard weight trucks in a long time. Might be time to man up

True re:height, but classic Aces push the axle in a lot further than Thunders which will also lightens things up. I'm sure the weight loss on a light truck helps, but I stick by my belief that hight and axle placement matter more.

mbam003

« Reply #3650 on: April 16, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
It would be the perfect storm if Indy now released something like "The OGs" with a +2.75 wheelbase.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #3651 on: April 16, 2021, 12:26:21 PM »
Concerning developments for sure regarding the wheelbase. The whole appeal of Ace is the zany turn.

Will I still be copping to try for myself? Yes I will.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3652 on: April 16, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »
I can relate to the gear madness but some of yall are freaking out way too much. I can assure most of you that we will all be able to do our mediocre skateboarding equally mediocre whether its on AF1's or classic aces.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3653 on: April 16, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »
this is the most action shoes&gear has gotten in a while.

i do think its interesting, there's no other company out there that's offering two different versions of trucks like ace.

like yeah different weight variations, lows/mids sure, but this is like two different geos almost. hard to believe they will keep making both.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #3654 on: April 16, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
may as well fully poach indy and make the af1 55mm tall

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #3655 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:12 PM »

i do think its interesting, there's no other company out there that's offering two different versions of trucks like ace.

like yeah different weight variations, lows/mids sure, but this is like two different geos almost. hard to believe they will keep making both.

They defo wont keep both. Makes no sense

Classics will go eventually
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3656 on: April 16, 2021, 02:21:03 PM »
Got AF1 55s today and made an Xmas complete to compare side by side with my V1 44s.

Turn seems better on the AF1s. Can’t remember what washers I have on the V1s. Might be at least partially Ace originals which would explain the worse turn on the V1s. From what I remember, the turn seems just as great as on new V3s.

Grind seems worse but my V1s are fully axled and I grinded only unpainted curbs so it’s likely only because of steel vs. aluminum.

Didn’t do any measuring cuz I don’t have anything to measure with where I am now.

Main point is that I would not be worried at all. These are definitely not Indys. The turn is there and I don’t find anything other wrong with them either, apart from not having a 8.75” truck. I loved the old Aces and I don’t think these are any worse. Time will tell if they’re better. Bushings were great from the start. No break in time required at all.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3657 on: April 16, 2021, 02:25:20 PM »
Got AF1 55s today and made an Xmas complete to compare side by side with my V1 44s.

Turn seems better on the AF1s. Can’t remember what washers I have on the V1s. Might be at least partially Ace originals which would explain the worse turn on the V1s. From what I remember, the turn seems just as great as on new V3s.

Grind seems worse but my V1s are fully axled and I grinded only unpainted curbs so it’s likely only because of steel vs. aluminum.

Didn’t do any measuring cuz I don’t have anything to measure with where I am now.

Main point is that I would not be worried at all. These are definitely not Indys. The turn is there and I don’t find anything other wrong with them either, apart from not having a 8.75” truck. I loved the old Aces and I don’t think these are any worse. Time will tell if they’re better. Bushings were great from the start. No break in time required at all.
Thanks for the write up! Good to hear about the turn, I do bet the new washers and bushings are improved. I bet the pivot cups have a touch to do with that as well.

But just FYI that the standard version are named 44 classics, not V1. That A1 versus V1 terminology you are using is a bit confusing, and you mention V3?

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3658 on: April 16, 2021, 02:25:43 PM »
The positivity we needed in this thread

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3659 on: April 16, 2021, 02:26:02 PM »

Don't forged indys have a different geo? And the mids? And those ventures with a wider wheelbase? doesn't changing the height change the geo regardless?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5