Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747556 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 298
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4920 on: November 21, 2021, 02:05:08 AM »
I recently switched back from AF1 77s to an 8.5 with Indy 149s, and while I got used to grinding the Aces, the Indys feel like they grind much smoother to me. I'm wondering if I just skate better on an 8.5 or that the Indys grind better because I'm able to hold onto things like slappy 50s much easier on them. I had no issue transitioning from 159s to 55 Classics. Once I had broken my AF1s in they became a bit better, but grinds still feel kinda 'rough' with the Aces on curbs. Anyone else with similar experiences?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:37:26 AM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4921 on: November 21, 2021, 02:57:29 AM »
I've been on Af1s since spring and decided to try my classics for change and skated a long session yesterday. I hated them and about everything felt off from turning to grinding compared to Af1s. I hope they'll come up with 8.75 hollows soon.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4922 on: November 21, 2021, 05:32:45 AM »
I recently switched back from AF1 77s to an 8.5 with Indy 149s, and while I got used to grinding the Aces, the Indys feel like they grind much smoother to me. I'm wondering if I just skate better on an 8.5 or that the Indys grind better because I'm able to hold onto things like slappy 50s much easier on them. I had no issue transitioning from 159s to 55 Classics. Once I had broken my AF1s in they became a bit better, but grinds still feel kinda 'rough' with the Aces on curbs. Anyone else with similar experiences?
Yeah I've noticed the same thing. Independent grind smoother than any other truck I've tried. Can't take that away from them.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4923 on: November 21, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »

Same. Just got some 159s because I wanted an 8.75 truck after skating Aces for the last 5 years. I’m sticking with the Indys for now because the grind feels so good, but the kingpin nut is about to fall off because I got used to loose trucks. I still love my Aces though

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4924 on: November 21, 2021, 09:49:43 AM »
My Aces feel like the hangers are coated in peanut butter when I grind.
I’ve grown used to the slow, sticky feeling & don’t mind it much, but when I switch to a set up w/ Indys or Thunders on it, the difference is pronounced & quite noticeable.
But that turn… that turn, there’s nothing quite like it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #4925 on: November 21, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’ve grown used to the slow, sticky feeling & don’t mind it much, but when I switch to a set up w/ Indys or Thunders on it, the difference is pronounced & quite noticeable.

You on classics or AF1s? I elt this way on classics, but the AF1s grind much better IMO

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4926 on: November 21, 2021, 10:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You on classics or AF1s? I elt this way on classics, but the AF1s grind much better IMO
Classics.
Apologies for not being more specific.
I still have another set of Classics on ice, so I won’t be graduating to AF1s for another year (plus).
Hopefully, that’ll give them time to work out the QC issues on the AF1 pivots, and maybe even come out w/ an 8.75” option.
Then again, I may have been swayed by Lurpivs by then. I am a terrible customer as far as product loyalty goes: I love to try different shit.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #4927 on: November 21, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Classics.
Apologies for not being more specific.
I still have another set of Classics on ice, so I won’t be graduating to AF1s for another year (plus).
Hopefully, that’ll give them time to work out the QC issues on the AF1 pivots, and maybe even come out w/ an 8.75” option.
Then again, I may have been swayed by Lurpivs by then. I am a terrible customer as far as product loyalty goes: I love to try different shit.

I gotchu, yea the AF1s deff grind better than the classics. I do hope they fix the pivot cup issue though. Both the kids I've seen at my local with AF1s have blown them out quickly. These lurpivs are like a taller, more stable ace, that grinds more like an Indy (still not quite as good as Indy though).

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #4928 on: December 05, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Just got some ace replacement bushings and the packaging says to put the bottom bushing "sharp side" down but the sides are indistinguishable. Any ideas which is which, swirly side or smooth side??

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4929 on: December 05, 2021, 05:06:09 PM »
Just got some ace replacement bushings and the packaging says to put the bottom bushing "sharp side" down but the sides are indistinguishable. Any ideas which is which, swirly side or smooth side??

Swirly side would be the sharp side, so if that's what they recommend, point that side down.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4930 on: December 05, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »
i checked mine and they are swirly side down

just bought some yesterday and am into them so far

Edit: actually after another little cruise I noticed my one baseplate is kinda lumpy on both sides and has a weird couple of dots. Does this seem like it’s defective or should I be alright?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:17:28 PM by 2th »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4931 on: December 05, 2021, 07:03:36 PM »

Edit: actually after another little cruise I noticed my one baseplate is kinda lumpy on both sides and has a weird couple of dots. Does this seem like it’s defective or should I be alright?

I should actually post a pic of mine, the QC on the finishing is actually laughable ....

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

IpathCats

« Reply #4932 on: December 06, 2021, 05:16:38 AM »

I'm sure it will skate fine. But this is pretty hilarious.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4933 on: December 06, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »
Any word on 8.75" Aces lately?

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4934 on: December 06, 2021, 04:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.
[close]

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.
[close]

Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better.
[close]

I'm a couple sessions in on these with no adjustments and I gotta be honest, I'm having a really rough time. How long did you wait to tinker with yours, if at all?
[close]

Alright, I'm a week in and they still don't feel good. I even went against people's advice and loosened them and they just don't feel that responsive. A buddy of mine showed up with a brand new set of 55 Classics and his felt better day one then mine do now. (I'm riding 44 Classics on an 8.38 board.)

I dunno if his wider truck just felt better or if my stock bushings won't adjust to the mild cold but I'm ready to start tinkering and/or giving up on these.
. Take off the bottom washer to get your money's worth out of your aces

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4935 on: December 06, 2021, 04:20:56 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Ace hard bushings? I just ordered a set for my AF1 44s.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #4936 on: December 06, 2021, 04:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.
[close]

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.
[close]

Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better.
[close]

I'm a couple sessions in on these with no adjustments and I gotta be honest, I'm having a really rough time. How long did you wait to tinker with yours, if at all?
[close]

Alright, I'm a week in and they still don't feel good. I even went against people's advice and loosened them and they just don't feel that responsive. A buddy of mine showed up with a brand new set of 55 Classics and his felt better day one then mine do now. (I'm riding 44 Classics on an 8.38 board.)

I dunno if his wider truck just felt better or if my stock bushings won't adjust to the mild cold but I'm ready to start tinkering and/or giving up on these.
[close]
. Take off the bottom washer to get your money's worth out of your aces

I did and still hated them. Ended up getting another pair of Thunders and instantly felt better.

Sorry y'all, I tried.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #4937 on: December 07, 2021, 05:17:58 AM »
Anyone have experience with the Ace hard bushings? I just ordered a set for my AF1 44s.

I have these on my AF1 55s. I noticed that they kind of increase the stable center feeling without compromising the turn. I actually like my AF1s a lot more now.

Fhk

« Reply #4938 on: December 07, 2021, 05:28:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have these on my AF1 55s. I noticed that they kind of increase the stable center feeling without compromising the turn. I actually like my AF1s a lot more now.
I got the complete opposite results. My classic 33s and 55s were very stable but my AF1 44s have zero stability. I had to give up on them after a few sessions. Which sucks I really wanted to like them.

Fhk

« Reply #4939 on: December 07, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
I did and they made very little difference. I am over 200, but there should of been more than a slight difference. I thought as they broke in they were getting harder, but I think it was wishful thinking.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4940 on: December 07, 2021, 07:08:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I did and they made very little difference. I am over 200, but there should of been more than a slight difference. I thought as they broke in they were getting harder, but I think it was wishful thinking.

Just guessing since I didn't like them and got rid of them, but I think the AF1s and their big/soft pivot cups make it so they feel loose even with hard bushings.

IpathCats

« Reply #4941 on: December 07, 2021, 07:47:12 AM »

Not as much difference as i thought, slightly more stable.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4942 on: December 14, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »
Wow. John Cardiel on Ace. Did I miss this or is this new?
 https://acetrucks.com/team/

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4943 on: December 14, 2021, 09:05:50 AM »
Been awhile.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4944 on: December 30, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
Anyone here skated the Anti Hero Blue Meanie shape? Setting up one of these as a cruiser and not sure if I should use 44's or 55's on it (planning on using 54mm Chargers if that helps). Thanks!

Fhk

« Reply #4945 on: December 30, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just guessing since I didn't like them and got rid of them, but I think the AF1s and their big/soft pivot cups make it so they feel loose even with hard bushings.
Ah that makes sense man, I really wish I could of got used to them.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4946 on: December 30, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »
Anyone here skated the Anti Hero Blue Meanie shape? Setting up one of these as a cruiser and not sure if I should use 44's or 55's on it (planning on using 54mm Chargers if that helps). Thanks!

Had someone here recommended running it with the AF1 55s instead of the 66s. This was maybe in the DLX shapes thread some months back.

I did just that and been loving it. At the back truck I think it is bang on 8.5” and slightly more in the front. I like it so much that I bought two more Blue Meanies on Black Friday.

I’ve been wishing for 8.75” Aces for a long time but I don’t think I’d change from the AF1 55s to 8.75” even if they were suddenly available.

I run mine with the Real 3 ply wooden risers and 58 mm 99A F4 OG Classics.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4947 on: December 31, 2021, 12:13:22 AM »

If you wanted it to be a bit tippy turny and more zippy, the 44s would work (sitting a way inside under the deck even with four washers on the inside of each wheel), but if you want a more balanced / stable ride overall, the 55s would work really well too (sitting just out a touch, one or no washers on the inside) so it depends on what you want to get out of it.

Some boards I have just feel so much more comfortable on wider trucks, like the Blue Meanie I have set up on Indy 159s, which are pretty much right on the size, so with the Ace classics, 44 will sit under and 55 will sit out a bit.

As Roisto said, the Ace AF1 55 would probably work best, if you were to choose any Ace variation, as that can be widened a touch as well, and sit fairly evenly on the back truck, a bit inside on the front.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4948 on: December 31, 2021, 07:37:29 AM »

I currently ride it with Af1 55s and conical fulls and they fit perfectly. Three months since I set this complete and it is one my favorites.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4949 on: December 31, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »

Great shape. Skating it with AF1 55s, extra washer inside, and 56 (now 55) SPFs.

My first one was set up with Indy 159 hollow forged. I like the Ace better on it.