Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747403 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4950 on: January 01, 2022, 10:34:31 PM »
I was going to give my classic 55s another chance but something felt off when skating them. At home, took them apart and found out both kingpins were quite loose. I checked my classic 44s and two sets of af1s, both have stable kingpins and are much more skated than my classic 55s. Are these defect and is there any way to fix those?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4951 on: January 02, 2022, 12:49:56 AM »
I had two sets of classic 44s I bought from here years ago. Both had loose kingpins. I hammered them out, put some “steel epoxy” in there and hammered there and hammered the kingpins back in. Both sets have held up well for years. Other set I skated until the hanger split in half and the kingpins were ground down so much that the nuts fell off cuz they were ground down so much they wouldn’t hold anymore. So the kingpins definitely got some stress.

If you hammer the kingpins out, make sure to keep the nut on so you don’t fuck up the threads of the kingpin. Also support the baseplate not only from the sides as the baseplates could then easily bend. When hammering the kingpin back in I used a big bolt as an aid as the kingpin goes inside the baseplate where you can’t reach with a hammer. When hammering the kingpin back in it’s also important to support the baseplate properly so you won’t bend it. I did it on my mate’s vise and it all worked out beautifully.

Lots of text but it really wasn’t that much trouble and it was nice to do so I definitely recommend it.

pops

« Reply #4952 on: January 02, 2022, 01:45:49 AM »
I had two sets of classic 44s I bought from here years ago. Both had loose kingpins. I hammered them out, put some “steel epoxy” in there and hammered there and hammered the kingpins back in. Both sets have held up well for years. Other set I skated until the hanger split in half and the kingpins were ground down so much that the nuts fell off cuz they were ground down so much they wouldn’t hold anymore. So the kingpins definitely got some stress.

If you hammer the kingpins out, make sure to keep the nut on so you don’t fuck up the threads of the kingpin. Also support the baseplate not only from the sides as the baseplates could then easily bend. When hammering the kingpin back in I used a big bolt as an aid as the kingpin goes inside the baseplate where you can’t reach with a hammer. When hammering the kingpin back in it’s also important to support the baseplate properly so you won’t bend it. I did it on my mate’s vise and it all worked out beautifully.

Lots of text but it really wasn’t that much trouble and it was nice to do so I definitely recommend it.

Thanks, I tried fixing them with your mentioned method but I think I messed with the kingpins thread already. I should've just left them as they were and put some glue on the base on the kingpin. I will stick with af1s for now.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4953 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:15 AM »
I was going to give my classic 55s another chance but something felt off when skating them. At home, took them apart and found out both kingpins were quite loose. I checked my classic 44s and two sets of af1s, both have stable kingpins and are much more skated than my classic 55s. Are these defect and is there any way to fix those?

You can fix it with epoxy, as others have said. This is also a design flaw, and if you contact Ace they’ll likely offer you new trucks. Ace was kind enough to replace my Classics with AF1s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4954 on: January 02, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »

All my Ace kingpins wiggle. I like it. I wouldn't worry about it.

pops

« Reply #4955 on: January 02, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can fix it with epoxy, as others have said. This is also a design flaw, and if you contact Ace they’ll likely offer you new trucks. Ace was kind enough to replace my Classics with AF1s.

I contacted them not only because of that kingpin issue but also because one the axles has been faulty since I had the trucks. I have to forcefully press one wheel to make it fit all the way down. It slightly slowers the spinning of that wheel. Not bent because of use, it was there always.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4956 on: January 02, 2022, 12:11:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I contacted them not only because of that kingpin issue but also because one the axles has been faulty since I had the trucks. I have to forcefully press one wheel to make it fit all the way down. It slightly slowers the spinning of that wheel. Not bent because of use, it was there always.

That’s wild, I’m sure they’ll hook it up. Mine had bent axles (from use) on all four ends and the kingpin rattled loose. I sent them photos of the axles which demonstrated the problem and they asked me what trucks I wanted and mailed them the next day.

Very disappointing QC, but I appreciated the customer service and the fact that they let me switch to AF1s.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4957 on: January 02, 2022, 12:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, that happened on my last set of Classics, the threading on one side of the axle was pretty severely off-center. It created a shoulder between the threaded and smooth part of the axle, had to reef the wheel down and even then the pressure on the bearings was uneven and slowed it down. I ended up chasing and extending the threads to smooth it out, which worked fine, but still sucked to troubleshoot. That said, first real QC issue I had with any Aces after about 4 years, so it coulda been worse. Hope they sort you out.

pops

« Reply #4958 on: January 03, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
They replied me in a day, I even sent them video clips of my issues and they told they'll send me replacement trucks soon. That is awesome customer service.

Icey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4959 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
Anyone ride Ace 44 Classics with an 8.5 deck? I have a craving for a big board but I'd really rather not buy new trucks. Thank you!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4960 on: January 03, 2022, 08:23:12 PM »
Yes. And I like it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4961 on: January 03, 2022, 08:35:10 PM »
Anyone ride Ace 44 Classics with an 8.5 deck? I have a craving for a big board but I'd really rather not buy new trucks. Thank you!

Yeah, this is how I rode my 44s for basically the entire time I skated them. Works great.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4962 on: January 03, 2022, 08:42:13 PM »

Yes did it and it was ok - the trucks do sit inside / tucked under, even with up to four washers on the insides (Ace has long axles) but they skated fine and didn't feel too narrow.

For people who like the magic carpet, they are perfect.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Icey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4963 on: January 03, 2022, 08:52:06 PM »
Dope, just what I needed to hear. I'm going to pair them with a Polar 8.5 and some Spitfire Conical Full 54s, should be a ton of fun.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4964 on: January 03, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
You're talking 1/16" of an inch each side, axle shorter than deck at its widest. Negligible.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #4965 on: January 04, 2022, 12:13:01 AM »
Dope, just what I needed to hear. I'm going to pair them with a Polar 8.5 and some Spitfire Conical Full 54s, should be a ton of fun.

With a conical full (plus a couple washers on the truck side) it's pretty much sitting flush in my experience. If you pair them with a slimmer profile wheel, as other have stated, the differenece it's pretty much negligible.

lukepat

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4966 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:03 AM »
First post.. sorry if this is wrong. BUT… Coming from 44 Classics should I go to AF1 44 or 55. I skate 8.25-8.5 decks. I am aware or hanger and axle measurement differences between Classic and AF1. Any experiences ? 🤔

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #4967 on: January 04, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
Neither, keep riding 44 classics

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4968 on: January 04, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »
@logjammin is right.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4969 on: January 04, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »

The best combo. You can't go wrong with this selection.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #4970 on: January 04, 2022, 01:39:33 PM »
 :'(
Expand Quote
[close]

The best combo. You can't go wrong with this selection.
Yup, two (or sometimes three) washers on hangerside and you’re golden.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #4971 on: January 05, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
Im about to buy Aces again, I rode one pair before (probably 44 classics Im not sure It was 4 years ago).

Are the new AF1s any better or should I go with the classics?

Thanks in advance, have a great week yall

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4972 on: January 05, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
This has been answered a few but I think Slap Gear Head consensus is, AF1s aren't really that much of an improvement. Maybe more durable and better sizing but the Classics remain classic.

lucascbn

• #maconha
« Reply #4973 on: January 05, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »
This has been answered a few but I think Slap Gear Head consensus is, AF1s aren't really that much of an improvement. Maybe more durable and better sizing but the Classics remain classic.

I guess that's pretty much the kinda answer I was looking for. Thank you very much!

IpathCats

« Reply #4974 on: January 05, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »

It's really all about what you wanna replace, the pivot cups, or a bent hangar.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4975 on: January 05, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
I've had 3 sets of 44s and two sets of 55s and not experienced either of those issues.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4976 on: January 05, 2022, 05:47:02 PM »
Switched from Indy 139s to Ace AF1 33 because Indy aftermarket bushings don't even fit Indy trucks (at least the 90a conicals and from what a friend told me the Indy bushings he tried doesn't fit in his 215s) and I didn't feel like playing the game of trying to figure out what bushings works.

Not my first time riding Ace AF1s but definitely took a bit to get used to. I love the lower height that doesn't sacrifice turn ability.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4977 on: January 05, 2022, 06:25:04 PM »
Im about to buy Aces again, I rode one pair before (probably 44 classics Im not sure It was 4 years ago).

Picky nerds on the internet have issues with them, but I think everyone in the real world I know who skates AF1s love them.   

kenjiro

« Reply #4978 on: January 05, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »
The 44 classics are a perfect truck to me.

lucascbn

• #maconha
« Reply #4979 on: January 06, 2022, 05:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Picky nerds on the internet have issues with them, but I think everyone in the real world I know who skates AF1s love them.

HAHA thanks dude, nice to know!

Switched from Indy 139s to Ace AF1 33 because Indy aftermarket bushings don't even fit Indy trucks (at least the 90a conicals and from what a friend told me the Indy bushings he tried doesn't fit in his 215s) and I didn't feel like playing the game of trying to figure out what bushings works.

Not my first time riding Ace AF1s but definitely took a bit to get used to. I love the lower height that doesn't sacrifice turn ability.

that setup looks awesome