Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738985 times)

babywantsbluevelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5010 on: January 21, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Between 55mm high Indy 149s and the AF1 55s, which do you reckon is better for running a big set of wheels w/o risers? Big as in 56-58mm and some wheelbite will be inevitable. I remember the classics actually wheelbite less than a similarly-sized, though higher, Indy--is it the same with the AF1s?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5011 on: January 21, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
Great question. I think the AF1s are more prone to wheelbite than the Classics. The AF1s seem to edge closer to Indy geometry...

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5012 on: January 21, 2022, 03:53:19 PM »
I second that AF1's wheelbite pretty bad for me but I'm a heavier skater. Classics with 1/8" risers underneath and up to 54mm wheels is like slim to none wheelbite that no other truck geometry has been able to offer me, a mouthbreathing fatso.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5013 on: January 21, 2022, 05:22:28 PM »
Has anyone put a Tensor ATG pivot cup into an AF1? Just had my AF1 pivot blow out and those are all I can get my hands on. Emailed Ace about it so hopefully they’ll send me some replacements but just wanted to know if the tensors would work in the meantime.

Aftermarket Ace and Indy cups are interchangeable, so it would stand to reason that a regular $1 cup from the shop would get you buy just fine.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5014 on: January 21, 2022, 05:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone put a Tensor ATG pivot cup into an AF1? Just had my AF1 pivot blow out and those are all I can get my hands on. Emailed Ace about it so hopefully they’ll send me some replacements but just wanted to know if the tensors would work in the meantime.
[close]

Aftermarket Ace and Indy cups are interchangeable, so it would stand to reason that a regular $1 cup from the shop would get you buy just fine.

On Classics, but aren't AF1 pivots considerably larger in diameter than a normal cup?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5015 on: January 21, 2022, 06:22:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

On Classics, but aren't AF1 pivots considerably larger in diameter than a normal cup?

Ahhh, I didn't know there was a difference. I have a pair of AF1s on ice at the moment, but I haven't had to mess with them yet. Disregard, then!

Qebrus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #5016 on: January 22, 2022, 09:23:35 AM »
New AF1 pivot blown out on second sesh, am I going to excessively damage the pivot by continuing skating them?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5017 on: January 22, 2022, 01:28:52 PM »
I had the same thing happen to mine after one or two sessions. Skated them until the kingpin nut on the back truck was ground to wedge that couldn’t hold the threads anymore. Never had any issues with them. On classics too I’ve skated with blow out looking cups for a long time and they’ve been fine. At some point it’s best to replace for sure but I wouldn’t say there’s a big rush with it.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5018 on: January 22, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
So now that the AF-1 and Classics have been out a while, what are the main differences?

This is what I found so far:

Classics: Softer metal, slower grind, less durable, +2.75 WB

AF-1: Harder metal, faster grind, more durable, +2.875 WB

Missing anything?

logjammin

« Reply #5019 on: January 22, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »
Opposite for me. Classics grind like butter, AF1's were sticky and odd feeling on grinds. They may be harder and more durable but it's not whatever alloy mix Indy/thunder/venture uses cause all of those grind nicely. Personally, the best grinds I've ever felt are on vintage Indy's. Like some hard ice cube trucks that just glide so nicely and last longer.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5020 on: January 23, 2022, 09:17:45 AM »
Opposite for me. Classics grind like butter, AF1's were sticky and odd feeling on grinds. They may be harder and more durable but it's not whatever alloy mix Indy/thunder/venture uses cause all of those grind nicely. Personally, the best grinds I've ever felt are on vintage Indy's. Like some hard ice cube trucks that just glide so nicely and last longer.
You ever try those G&S trucks (later rebranded as Standard Trucks, iirc) that hat a chromoly tube steel hanger construction? Them jawns slid across concrete more than they actually would grind on it, so slick we’re they. 
Like most trucks of the era, their turn was probably garbage, but all I can remember about them was hanging on for dear life whenever I rode my buddies set up & hit up any ledges. They almost picked up speed while grinding. Was an odd feel, for sure.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

logjammin

« Reply #5021 on: January 23, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You ever try those G&S trucks (later rebranded as Standard Trucks, iirc) that hat a chromoly tube steel hanger construction? Them jawns slid across concrete more than they actually would grind on it, so slick we’re they. 
Like most trucks of the era, their turn was probably garbage, but all I can remember about them was hanging on for dear life whenever I rode my buddies set up & hit up any ledges. They almost picked up speed while grinding. Was an odd feel, for sure.

I did not, one time some awkward old dad came over and bought some skate shit from me I had on craigslist and he brought over those G&S trucks and they were painted with some shit that looked like he dipped the trucks in literal tar, it was weird. I tried to see if he'd sell em to me but he wanted to keep em. The only vintage trucks I've skated are stage 7's. I have em in 159's that are barely used, and 136/159 stage 8's all pretty much mint condition. Been hoarding from eBay lately, kinda bored of modern trucks.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5022 on: January 23, 2022, 06:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still have a couple sets of G&S.  Fast on concrete, but slower on metal coping.  They are all I rode from 89-93, and then I took 20 years off, so it’s what i started up with again.  After a couple months I started skating modern trucks and was amazed how much faster the grind was on the stuff I skate most often.

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5023 on: January 23, 2022, 07:58:12 PM »
Is there any way to make Ace’s lighter besides going the AF1 Low route?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5024 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
Is there any way to make Ace’s lighter besides going the AF1 Low route?

Put in the Krux hollow kingpin

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5025 on: January 23, 2022, 08:07:32 PM »
AF1s are heavier than the Classics.

Best way to make either version lighter? Grind 'em. Andt hen  grind 'em some more.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5026 on: January 24, 2022, 01:26:08 AM »
I always thought Af1s were lighter but whatever. Never actually felt that they were heavier than classics.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5027 on: January 24, 2022, 06:39:14 AM »
Yeah, its really not enough to notice.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5028 on: January 24, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »

Weird how their stock bushings have a softer barrel on the board side and harder cone on the roadside. Seems like most everyone does the opposite when mixing duros.

This is actually the best way to do it, in my opinion. The deck-side bushing supports most of the turning force (where you want the softness), while the road-side bushing acts to resist that force (and stabilize the turn). So, the more you lean on the soft barrel on the deck-side, the more the hard cone on the road-side resists the wheelbite (and helps the hanger rebound back to center).

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5029 on: January 24, 2022, 08:49:06 AM »
Between 55mm high Indy 149s and the AF1 55s, which do you reckon is better for running a big set of wheels w/o risers? Big as in 56-58mm and some wheelbite will be inevitable. I remember the classics actually wheelbite less than a similarly-sized, though higher, Indy--is it the same with the AF1s?

I have 56mm Loopholes and G-Slides (both super wide) that I use on AF1 55s. The standard bushings were instant wheelbite, and their bottom bushing is super tall, so I put one of these Bones barrels in the bottom with no washer (I guess they’re for longboard trucks) and used a normal Bones hard bushing in the top. Weird setup, but it feels great on the 5boro shredder, which has a super short 13.75 in. wheelbase, and I get very little wheelbite on 56mm wheels.

https://www.skateone.com/hardcore-bushings-barrel-bushing-93a-set?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=Search&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAubmPBhCyARIsAJWNpiM-0AE2P59VXuo1EsEHXmxreLQ30S4YaAfh4PHFDAX4HXvQ1NibzYYaAimIEALw_wcB

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #5030 on: January 26, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
When are 60’s in shops?

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #5031 on: January 26, 2022, 11:46:49 PM »
Been riding Indys with medium Bones bushings for over 10 years now, but I want to give Ace a shot and switch things up.

For the Ace classics, do you guys recommend the stock bushings or should I keep using Bones? I kind of want to try them out without changing the bushings to see how well they turn + feel.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the info/knowledge.

(I mainly skate curbs, ledges, hills, banks. This set-up will be for street skating. Don’t really do parks anymore).

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5032 on: January 26, 2022, 11:53:24 PM »
Been riding Indys with medium Bones bushings for over 10 years now, but I want to give Ace a shot and switch things up.

For the Ace classics, do you guys recommend the stock bushings or should I keep using Bones? I kind of want to try them out without changing the bushings to see how well they turn + feel.

(I mainly skate curbs, ledges, hills, banks. This set-up will be for street skating. Don’t really do parks anymore).
Not trying Ace's stock turn before changing the bushings is like dousing your filet mignon in ketchup before taking a bite.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5033 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:42 AM »

stock standard and break them in properly, do not put bones in them!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5034 on: January 27, 2022, 04:09:08 AM »
One more vote for stock bushings. Might take a few sessions to break in, but after they do, they really are great
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #5035 on: January 27, 2022, 05:58:39 AM »
bones are too short for ACE, you'll need to add washers to avoid messing with the geo. ACEs already have the shortest WB, dont wanna shrink it anymore. Also, going to a cone bottom just makes them even more squirrely IMO. They need that cylinder bottom.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5036 on: January 27, 2022, 07:35:26 AM »
What others already said, Ace are best as they're. Don't tune them.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5037 on: January 27, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
Gotta let an Ace be an Ace, homey.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5038 on: January 28, 2022, 02:16:51 PM »
just setup some classics for the first time... hanger blocks the kingpin nut from being tightened by a tool. am i an idiot or are these trucks fucked up? going to need a wrench to tighten them.

logjammin

« Reply #5039 on: January 28, 2022, 02:36:37 PM »
That's that Ace quality control right there.