Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747328 times)

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5280 on: April 07, 2022, 03:59:45 AM »
id dare say that venture has the least corny truck merch
classic 90s vibes from the awake shirts

this, the awake shirt is a classic, and i also like the paid shirt from their latest catalog
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5281 on: April 07, 2022, 04:31:58 AM »
Got my replacement AF1 66 today after bending my 55 classics. They are also 159mm instead of the advertised 163mm.
So I guess it's consistent and their information online is just wrong?
It's a good size though so I'm not mad

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5282 on: April 08, 2022, 06:34:47 PM »
OK, putting in some solid time on my AF1s now and they are growing on me each session. I think I'm at that point where they feel better than Classics now, turn, pop and grind...

The grind has definitely got better now they are broken in a bit. And I can already tell they are going to be way more durable than classics.

I'm also really starting to like the tinny sound they make. Where are my 60s?? Jah Bless.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5283 on: April 08, 2022, 06:40:19 PM »
So what's the consensus on AF1s clicking? I saw earlier in this thread people said it's washer clicking against kingpin and a bunch of different solutions. I pulled the hanger off and checked everything out, put the truck back together but still clicking.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5284 on: April 08, 2022, 06:44:52 PM »
I've experienced this with Indy, Thunder and Ace and it goes away after break in. New trucks suck.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5285 on: April 08, 2022, 09:56:21 PM »
OK, putting in some solid time on my AF1s now and they are growing on me each session. I think I'm at that point where they feel better than Classics now, turn, pop and grind...

The grind has definitely got better now they are broken in a bit. And I can already tell they are going to be way more durable than classics.

I'm also really starting to like the tinny sound they make. Where are my 60s?? Jah Bless.

Posts like these make me less nervous to make the switch from classics

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5286 on: April 09, 2022, 05:16:01 AM »
Anyone try the new lows yet? If buying the lows truly means I can turn any AF1 into a ~51mm truck, I'm gonna do it for sure. On pictures it looks like it works, but I need to be sure

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5287 on: April 09, 2022, 07:05:41 AM »
Anyone try the new lows yet? If buying the lows truly means I can turn any AF1 into a ~51mm truck, I'm gonna do it for sure. On pictures it looks like it works, but I need to be sure

Probably best to go here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119999.150

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5288 on: April 09, 2022, 07:24:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FWIW I know a bunch of not-online people who skate the AF1s and absolutely love them. To the best of my knowledge, not a single one of them has had any problem with their trucks (something I can't say for my two friends who bought Lurpivs).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5289 on: April 09, 2022, 08:17:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

FWIW I know a bunch of not-online people who skate the AF1s and absolutely love them. To the best of my knowledge, not a single one of them has had any problem with their trucks (something I can't say for my two friends who bought Lurpivs).

That’s good to hear. I’m sure this community is a little different than the rest.
As the af-1s were coming out, there seemed to be a lot of momentum, as well as some folks looking for an alternative to Indy. I don’t speak to people about gear outside, so I dunno what the feedback was.
My main truck criteria is pop. I have absolutely cried about this on here previously, but that is my main problem with ace: I can’t get em off of the ground. Love the look (33s are as good looking of a truck as there is, the all time goat is Phil Shao era ventures, aesthetically), love the turn. But I’ve only had one setup, in my preferred size, that was popping: 8.25 x 14 wb 44 classics, 56 mm wheels. **The classic 55s actually have a really good pop feeling, for me. I’m 100 percent an idiot, but that truck feels a lot different than the 44 classics, to me. I also cannot easily get a tool on the kingpin but which leads me to believe that the geometry is different. If I wasn’t made out dust and tears I’d skate the 55 classics, but alas I’m weak on those are fun for a day, but too big.
I put af-1 44s on a new board and it just feels waterlogged. Sounds weird. Feels weirder.
So, dear ace enthusiast: any combos that work? Or tips? With ventures, my popping foot is better off near the very tip of the board, which is a natural feeling for me, once being a tiny shit trying to get a whale tail off of the ground. I’ve tried to move my foot in from the tip and just haven’t figured it out. Personal problem, as there are for sure people using them that can get way up.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #5290 on: April 09, 2022, 08:32:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s good to hear. I’m sure this community is a little different than the rest.
As the af-1s were coming out, there seemed to be a lot of momentum, as well as some folks looking for an alternative to Indy. I don’t speak to people about gear outside, so I dunno what the feedback was.
My main truck criteria is pop. I have absolutely cried about this on here previously, but that is my main problem with ace: I can’t get em off of the ground. Love the look (33s are as good looking of a truck as there is, the all time goat is Phil Shao era ventures, aesthetically), love the turn. But I’ve only had one setup, in my preferred size, that was popping: 8.25 x 14 wb 44 classics, 56 mm wheels. **The classic 55s actually have a really good pop feeling, for me. I’m 100 percent an idiot, but that truck feels a lot different than the 44 classics, to me. I also cannot easily get a tool on the kingpin but which leads me to believe that the geometry is different. If I wasn’t made out dust and tears I’d skate the 55 classics, but alas I’m weak on those are fun for a day, but too big.
I put af-1 44s on a new board and it just feels waterlogged. Sounds weird. Feels weirder.
So, dear ace enthusiast: any combos that work? Or tips? With ventures, my popping foot is better off near the very tip of the board, which is a natural feeling for me, once being a tiny shit trying to get a whale tail off of the ground. I’ve tried to move my foot in from the tip and just haven’t figured it out. Personal problem, as there are for sure people using them that can get way up.

I felt this when I first set up AF1s, couldn't get the board off the ground. I think it was 44s on an 8.18 Quasi. I put them away for like half a year and then set them up on an FA 8.25 and they felt fine and now that's my main setup. No idea if my position changed at all, but I just got used to them. I agree the board sounds a bit dead compared to indy's or especially ventures, but it's just something I've gotten used to as well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5291 on: April 09, 2022, 08:44:47 AM »
Sick, thanks for the response.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5292 on: April 09, 2022, 11:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I felt this when I first set up AF1s, couldn't get the board off the ground. I think it was 44s on an 8.18 Quasi. I put them away for like half a year and then set them up on an FA 8.25 and they felt fine and now that's my main setup. No idea if my position changed at all, but I just got used to them. I agree the board sounds a bit dead compared to indy's or especially ventures, but it's just something I've gotten used to as well.

wow i always thought it was my new bearings, but this just made me relize the waterlog sound never went away

still love the af-1 out of the box

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #5293 on: April 10, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
When I first got Ace 33s years ago I saw a lot of comments that they are a bitch to break in but much better with Bones bushings so I always used those. Then when I moved on to 44s I swapped Bones out of habit as well.

Seems to be more of a consensus now that the standard bushings are the way to go, so I figured I might as well give them a fair go, not the least because I had a bit of an issue with wheel bite even though I have 52mm wheels. First session down and they feel great, put the kingpin nut flush and didn’t need to touch them at all. Top bushing on one truck started bulging out from under the washer when I was just rocking back and forth before even sessioning them but I’m sure that will fix itself eventually.

What type of washers do you run with the stock bushings? With Bones I’ve had flat top and either no bottom or regular bottom, for now I’m running both stock washers which should benefit the geometry at least, but I wonder if there are other gains to be made.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5294 on: April 10, 2022, 02:46:55 PM »
When I first got Ace 33s years ago I saw a lot of comments that they are a bitch to break in but much better with Bones bushings so I always used those. Then when I moved on to 44s I swapped Bones out of habit as well.

Seems to be more of a consensus now that the standard bushings are the way to go, so I figured I might as well give them a fair go, not the least because I had a bit of an issue with wheel bite even though I have 52mm wheels. First session down and they feel great, put the kingpin nut flush and didn’t need to touch them at all. Top bushing on one truck started bulging out from under the washer when I was just rocking back and forth before even sessioning them but I’m sure that will fix itself eventually.

What type of washers do you run with the stock bushings? With Bones I’ve had flat top and either no bottom or regular bottom, for now I’m running both stock washers which should benefit the geometry at least, but I wonder if there are other gains to be made.

The stock washers on Ace classics are trash. I change mine to whatever generic washers I can get a hold of. Used washers from my Indys first and after getting rid of all other trucks and bushings than Aces I’ve gotten washers from skate shops and they’ve always worked fine unlike the Ace stock washers.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5295 on: April 10, 2022, 04:44:36 PM »
So what's the consensus on AF1s clicking? I saw earlier in this thread people said it's washer clicking against kingpin and a bunch of different solutions. I pulled the hanger off and checked everything out, put the truck back together but still clicking.
have a pair of 55s on my wife's setup, never a problem, tightened them a 1/4 of turn yesterday at the park and now it's click central!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5296 on: April 10, 2022, 05:37:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
have a pair of 55s on my wife's setup, never a problem, tightened them a 1/4 of turn yesterday at the park and now it's click central!!!

So this is probably common knowledge, but when the bushing washers are wider round the kingpin they will move side to side when bushings compress.  This is what causes the click when you lean left or right on the trucks, almost entirely the bottom washer with contact on the baseplate being the thing to check / change.

I tried some other washers that didn't have so much movement and there was almost no clicking, but doing things like a bit of something sticky on the baseplate just around the kinpin (we have blu tack here in AU, but any of that stuff that falls under the adhesive putty name) as well as tape round the kingpin itself are two things that have prevented clicking completely for others who have had the same issues and didn't want to replace parts.

The tighter the trucks, the more likely the bushings will click too, but once they wear in and have a bit more grip the clicking tends to stop or at least there is a lot less of it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5297 on: April 12, 2022, 08:20:00 AM »
Among my considerable amount of hot takes, has been a fairly firm assertion that af-1s ain’t popping: obviously wrong. I’d prefer a stiffer pivot cup, I think, but…just had a lot of fun on some. Had them setup with a short wb and slightly larger wheel. Too much turn maybe. Pop was really easy, light feeling treflips. The dull thud wasn’t present either.
All to say, I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5298 on: April 12, 2022, 08:29:24 AM »
Among my considerable amount of hot takes, has been a fairly firm assertion that af-1s ain’t popping: obviously wrong. I’d prefer a stiffer pivot cup, I think, but…just had a lot of fun on some. Had them setup with a short wb and slightly larger wheel. Too much turn maybe. Pop was really easy, light feeling treflips. The dull thud wasn’t present either.
All to say, I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Riptide AF-1 pivots are just about to drop. I imagine they will be firmer than the stock AF-1 cups. Should be cool.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #5299 on: April 12, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

So this is probably common knowledge, but when the bushing washers are wider round the kingpin they will move side to side when bushings compress.  This is what causes the click when you lean left or right on the trucks, almost entirely the bottom washer with contact on the baseplate being the thing to check / change.

I tried some other washers that didn't have so much movement and there was almost no clicking, but doing things like a bit of something sticky on the baseplate just around the kinpin (we have blu tack here in AU, but any of that stuff that falls under the adhesive putty name) as well as tape round the kingpin itself are two things that have prevented clicking completely for others who have had the same issues and didn't want to replace parts.

The tighter the trucks, the more likely the bushings will click too, but once they wear in and have a bit more grip the clicking tends to stop or at least there is a lot less of it.
At first I superglued the kingpin nut to the top washer.
Then I got the Ace hard bushings, those came with a new set of washer, haven’t been clicking since.
Probably because I don’t have to tighten ’em so much.

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5300 on: April 13, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »
There's nothing you need to do to stop the clicking, it goes away. It doesn't affect your skating, will lessen over time and be gone for good in a few weeks

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5301 on: April 13, 2022, 12:10:20 PM »
I loosened mine, clicking stopped

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5302 on: April 14, 2022, 01:27:41 AM »
Clicking stops after session 3-5. Enjoy

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5303 on: April 14, 2022, 07:30:58 AM »
Hold on, so a video is coming out featuring a pro rider on the lows and they’re using risers? 3mm risers bring them up to 52mm so that’s kinda funny cuz that’s basically almost stock AF1.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5304 on: April 14, 2022, 07:59:24 AM »
A Low truck with risers will not equate to a high truck without. It will still be a different feeling turn and a possibly more stable quicker turn. Could suit some people. I presume the Lows are lighter also?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5305 on: April 14, 2022, 08:20:55 AM »
A Low truck with risers will not equate to a high truck without. It will still be a different feeling turn and a possibly more stable quicker turn. Could suit some people. I presume the Lows are lighter also?

Correct.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #5306 on: April 14, 2022, 09:43:32 AM »
Hold on, so a video is coming out featuring a pro rider on the lows and they’re using risers? 3mm risers bring them up to 52mm so that’s kinda funny cuz that’s basically almost stock AF1.

If you are talking about Trahan he could be using the 1/16th” shock pads ace makes, if been looking at his ace ad and it appears that there are still threads poking threw on his bolts but there is clearly a riser pad. Unless he rocks 1 1/8th hardware but bronze only makes 1”

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5307 on: April 14, 2022, 01:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are talking about Trahan he could be using the 1/16th” shock pads ace makes, if been looking at his ace ad and it appears that there are still threads poking threw on his bolts but there is clearly a riser pad. Unless he rocks 1 1/8th hardware but bronze only makes 1”
Some next level nerdery and attention to detail holy shit.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5308 on: April 14, 2022, 03:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Correct.

Quicker? How so? Genuinely curious I'd think every aspect of a low would be slower, less deep, even with a riser.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5309 on: April 14, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Some next level nerdery and attention to detail holy shit.

Haven’t seen the pic, but ace baseplates are pretty thin, so it could still be 1” bolts.

I should not have replied with ‘correct’. What I should have said is: a low with a riser, will turn/pop, differently than a high, even if they end up being the same height. I’m not nearly smart enough to make a claim on what happens when a riser goes under a truck, in regards to turning. I’ve read some people mention it as ‘detuning’, which I guessed off of context, to mean that the trucks turned slower. This was in regards to thunders, some years back.