Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747529 times)

Gandito405

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6750 on: December 19, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »
I've been thinking about downsizing from 9" hangers to 8.75" hangers. is there any differences in feeling ,lock in ,carve, pinch. I skate only transition but have been wondering if a shorter hanger would help because I keep sliding off when I try to get into a 50-50 or axle stall, in my mind a shorter hanger would mean I would have to try to get on top more thus my weight is on the top of the ramp. but then again I could just be pussying out.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6751 on: December 19, 2023, 10:27:46 AM »
I've been thinking about downsizing from 9" hangers to 8.75" hangers. is there any differences in feeling ,lock in ,carve, pinch. I skate only transition but have been wondering if a shorter hanger would help because I keep sliding off when I try to get into a 50-50 or axle stall, in my mind a shorter hanger would mean I would have to try to get on top more thus my weight is on the top of the ramp. but then again I could just be pussying out.

There isn't much difference really in my opinion between 9 and 8.75" considering how well they lock in. I skate both axle sizes regularly.  What size and shape of a wheel do you have because it also matters. I dont think downsizing trucks will fix your issue.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6752 on: December 19, 2023, 10:30:43 AM »

You could try bigger/ wider wheels with a shape that locks you in. I'd stick to 9" hangers if I was only riding transition.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6753 on: December 19, 2023, 12:22:59 PM »
The last Crailtap Weak Days clip  has CK1 looking to be riding Ace also.

I’ve seen them IRL and CK1 is definitely an Ace Pilot these days.

And yeah, I’m kinda under the impression that any pro not on another truck brand can get a pair or two for free.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6754 on: December 19, 2023, 12:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There isn't much difference really in my opinion between 9 and 8.75" considering how well they lock in. I skate both axle sizes regularly.  What size and shape of a wheel do you have because it also matters. I dont think downsizing trucks will fix your issue.
i ride full conicals in 58mm

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6755 on: December 19, 2023, 08:17:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And yeah, I’m kinda under the impression that any pro not on another truck brand can get a pair or two for free.

he riding af155s?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6756 on: December 19, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

he riding af155s?

Wish he still rode the Hiuffer/ Phawt shape. I always thought those decks made his skateboarding look even better and vice versa. Ace really suit that shape also.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6757 on: December 19, 2023, 09:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

he riding af155s?
[close]

Wish he still rode the Hiuffer/ Phawt shape. I always thought those decks made his skateboarding look even better and vice versa. Ace really suit that shape also.

i bought THE huffer, for this very reason. at one point i had his shoes, that board, some 151s (i thought that’s what he had on there, but it’s hard to decipher from footage).
super stan

fond memories of that board, and setup. and shoes.
tried the deck with 151s, 159s, 169s. eventually i gave everything away. the crazy thing about that board is that it lasts forever.
151s worked the best for me, i don’t remember it being particularly close.
i miss 159s
i am strangely drawn to 169s, and for sure wish i could emulate alexis setup.

i probably have 25 posts saying this same thing

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6758 on: December 20, 2023, 05:06:43 AM »
I have no idea which model anything, I just saw him skating and he was on a Crail popsicle with Ace trucks. Didn’t quiz him on his setup.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6759 on: December 20, 2023, 08:05:52 AM »
I have no idea which model anything, I just saw him skating and he was on a Crail popsicle with Ace trucks. Didn’t quiz him on his setup.

Old man rules... No equipment chat until at least one hour of skateboarding... Its all downhill when we start talking nanocubics...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6760 on: December 20, 2023, 04:01:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Old man rules... No equipment chat until at least one hour of skateboarding... Its all downhill when we start talking nanocubics...

no no no no

you are supposed to aggressively flip his setup over and start taking notes.

i’ve never spoken to him, seems friendly enough. fair amount younger than i and it never seemed necessary.
that being said, it shocks me the amount of info i hear about pro’s setups on here, from folks who have i guess just asked. and i, for some weird reason, REALLY like to hear about what the rippers are riding.
maybe it’s partially because i am from a time when people made it sound like they almost didn’t care/know what parts they had. i mean a skateboard doesn’t isn’t a race car, fairly limited in it’s components, always surprised me when folks would just blink or be awkward about it.
i’m not trying to talk gear in real life, that’s why i have a slap account

and yes i expect you to do my dirty work

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6761 on: December 20, 2023, 04:27:38 PM »
Last time I saw CK in the wild was a few months back and I don’t think anybody would even get a chance to start asking him about his setup cuz he was steady ripping Mach 10 speed the entire time.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6762 on: December 20, 2023, 04:34:59 PM »
Last time I saw CK in the wild was a few months back and I don’t think anybody would even get a chance to start asking him about his setup cuz he was steady ripping Mach 10 speed the entire time.

I didn't grow up watching pros at my non-existent skatepark. Now he's a regular at my local and I'm not sure if every pro is so consistently good or if CK1 is actually just the one of the best pro skaters who ever lived.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6763 on: December 20, 2023, 04:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't grow up watching pros at my non-existent skatepark. Now he's a regular at my local and I'm not sure if every pro is so consistently good or if CK1 is actually just the one of the best pro skaters who ever lived.

I grew up skating in the Bay Area and came across many pros as a youth. He is one of the best, most gifted skateboarders I’ve ever seen iRL.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6764 on: December 20, 2023, 11:00:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Green Lake? I just moved to the suburbs a few months ago but I was seeing him there a lot when I lived there. Dude rips and is super nice

pops

« Reply #6765 on: December 22, 2023, 12:54:10 AM »
Never tried the Ace hard bushings in Classics, always had them in Af1s. But boi do these feel awesome.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6766 on: December 22, 2023, 09:33:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i ride full conicals in 58mm

Tbh it sounds more like adjustment than the sizing, the insane space made them lock in perfect if you crosslock correctly, but if you miss and your weight is off they'll shift like crazy. Wild beast to tame but it's worth.
:p

Meathook

• Rep: 73
« Reply #6767 on: December 24, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »
Never tried the Ace hard bushings in Classics, always had them in Af1s. But boi do these feel awesome.

I’ve tried them in both, and feel the same.  I was tinkering with Indy’s but came back to ace and immediately switched the stock to hard bushings.  They feel so much more stable but still have the best turn.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6768 on: December 24, 2023, 02:20:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace specifically targets riders they hear are outta contract and just send boxes to whomever. When the AF1 dropped they did that and tons of people were on them for a bit and it generated good buzz.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #6769 on: December 29, 2023, 03:59:52 AM »

I downsized from an 8.75 on classic 55’s to an 8.5 on classic 44’s because if I didn’t crosslock my back  fifty’s on chunky pool coping and had both trucks heelside, the board would fall into the transition. Downsizing fixed this, but I want that extra board under my feet…
Considering putting Indy 159 hangers on Ace classic baseplates to get that 8.75 sweet spot? Or maybe hot ridding the 9” 55’s on an 8.75 was the issue?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6770 on: December 29, 2023, 09:35:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I downsized from an 8.75 on classic 55’s to an 8.5 on classic 44’s because if I didn’t crosslock my back  fifty’s on chunky pool coping and had both trucks heelside, the board would fall into the transition. Downsizing fixed this, but I want that extra board under my feet…
Considering putting Indy 159 hangers on Ace classic baseplates to get that 8.75 sweet spot? Or maybe hot ridding the 9” 55’s on an 8.75 was the issue?

Wider wheels? or AF1 60s? I know the Classics turn better but AF1s are still closer to Classics than Indys. You can also purchase just the hangers.

Also did you get a good groove going? Newer trucks don't lock in as well... I know you know that son.

« Reply #6771 on: December 29, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wider wheels? or AF1 60s? I know the Classics turn better but AF1s are still closer to Classics than Indys. You can also purchase just the hangers.

Also did you get a good groove going? Newer trucks don't lock in as well... I know you know that son.

Yeah mate gave it a good crack before I shelved them!

Been pretty happy on the 44’s, have ridden the rear truck to the axle, but I’m jealous of everyone’s big boy boards haha

I had no idea AF1 came in an 8.75” option, that changes everything! I’ve been living under a rock…

Thanks!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6772 on: December 29, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
For sure. My fav trucks are Classic 55s but the size of the Af1 60s is perfect. .... If only there was a classic 60.

« Reply #6773 on: December 29, 2023, 11:53:09 AM »
I might just set up my 55 classics again with a wider wheel like you suggested, and on a wider deck, so my heel has more leverage beyond the pinch point. I was riding them on a 58mm tablet shape at the time

Edit: @Frank and Fred took your advice and ran conical fulls on the 55 classics, on a 9.5 Welcome egg. Only skated it in a steep 5ft bowl with metal coping, but feels like I can balance it on the heel side back truck very comfortably frontside and backside. I’ll skate a bowl with pool coping tomorrow, but it feels rock solid so far!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 10:14:36 PM by Dad you're embarrassing me »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6774 on: January 02, 2024, 10:25:34 PM »
Never ridden a Welcome myself but that setup looks real tidy.

« Reply #6775 on: January 02, 2024, 11:10:00 PM »
Yeah man it’s a blast!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6776 on: January 03, 2024, 02:00:30 PM »
Never ridden a Welcome myself but that setup looks real tidy.

That shape, as per pics in the 9+ boards thread, is a good one, also now on BBS so they feel a lot more comfortable to me as well.

I have a few Welcome shapes, including Golem 9.25 which is a more squared off shape than an egg, but that one, the Boline 2 is a good one as well, for those who like big wide egg shapes.  No comment on the graphics, but they can be removed if not to your liking.

More pics / info here in the big boards thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg4137870#msg4137870

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

« Reply #6777 on: January 07, 2024, 07:31:21 AM »
Is it possible to run af1 axles on classic baseplates or will my trucks get messed up? Tried them like that quickly and they feel great. Classics baseplate and bushings, Af1 60s axle.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6778 on: January 07, 2024, 08:56:05 AM »
Is it possible to run af1 axles on classic baseplates or will my trucks get messed up? Tried them like that quickly and they feel great. Classics baseplate and bushings, Af1 60s axle.

i’m sure @BartHarleyJarvis or one of those other fiendish truck dr moreau types has gone in….ace classic turn with a stronger hanger. could be sick.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6779 on: January 07, 2024, 10:09:22 AM »

Ace will tell you no but anything is possible. Mofos mix and match brands. Bam is mixing a Thunder front with an Ace back truck. There are no rules. Be safe, grind hard and let us know how it goes.