Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 769486 times)

trustinwockhardt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6930 on: May 26, 2024, 03:12:21 AM »

Thank you! I will tinker with the washer and bolt with some wax.

Edit: THAT SHIT WORKED. Had the best session I’ve had in a long time today. So hyped I set these up. Thanks again for the info.

Ha yeah, just see how long before the clicking comes back, if it does, but at least now you know.

Funny how some of the smallest things can make the biggest difference / most annoyance, like when people used to change out bushings and they would go creak creak side to side every single time.

Anyway, one less thing to have to deal with now - glad it worked!!

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #6931 on: June 01, 2024, 04:24:24 PM »
After a few sets of AF1s in different sizes, I got a pair of low hollow 60s.

I haven’t grinder them yet, but just the turn is a lot better than I expected. Very ACE-y turn, but a touch different, and I can’t put my finger on it yet.
But not negative at all, I’m really happy with them so far
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #6932 on: June 01, 2024, 08:10:30 PM »
For those who skate Aces on transition, do you use riser pads? They seem pretty low in stock form so I'm really curious. I'm used to Indy Standards though, so that could be what's tripping me out.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
« Reply #6933 on: June 01, 2024, 08:51:17 PM »
For those who skate Aces on transition, do you use riser pads? They seem pretty low in stock form so I'm really curious. I'm used to Indy Standards though, so that could be what's tripping me out.

Ace with risers suit me just fine.

Occasionally with 54mm and under wheels  and 8.5 deck/ trucks, I can get away without risers. Otherwise I use them on most of my set ups.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 180
« Reply #6934 on: June 02, 2024, 01:11:00 AM »

I use 1/8” risers. I normally skate 58mm wheels and ride my trucks pretty loose (nut flush, no threads showing). I rarely get wheelbite

pops

• Rep: 263
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6935 on: June 02, 2024, 01:20:40 AM »
Aces are great with 1/8 risers. But I always ride 56mm+ wheels.

trustinwockhardt

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6936 on: June 04, 2024, 11:06:42 AM »
Should I replace the Top(91a) or Bottom(86a) stock bushing with a hard bushing(94a) if I want my AF1s slightly more stable than stock?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6937 on: June 04, 2024, 11:17:35 AM »
Bottom
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

trustinwockhardt

« Reply #6938 on: June 06, 2024, 12:45:37 PM »
Bottom
Yesss bro, the trucks feel perfect for me now!

thorodunn

« Reply #6939 on: June 07, 2024, 03:29:38 PM »
Longtime lurker this thread convinced me to buy some aces for my bigger setup and now I'm in shock at how good they skate. What do I do with all my independent clothing?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
« Reply #6940 on: June 07, 2024, 03:37:21 PM »
Ace feel amazing when you first dial them in. Enjoy. I am not opposed to turning T shirts inside out....

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6941 on: June 07, 2024, 03:57:22 PM »
lol hey you still supported all these years you can still rock it, they are still amazing trucks as well
Personally I am rocking the AWAKE shirt and I only ride my ventures in the winter  8)

Shrimp

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6942 on: June 10, 2024, 07:23:35 PM »
Currently on my first set of Aces, not counting my old cruiser. AF1 hollow lows, 33. I'm liking them so far but I've shredded my top bushings in just a few weeks, and the bottoms look like they're on their way out too. Also they feel a little bit too "twitchy" for my liking. One time I threw my board down and as soon as I put my weight on it, it did this weird 90° swerve thing for seemingly no reason and I ate shit.

So I'm debating which replacement bushings I should get. Should I go with the harder ones? If it makes any difference, 80% of my skating consists of slappy and flatground sessions

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #6943 on: June 10, 2024, 07:26:27 PM »
Currently on my first set of Aces, not counting my old cruiser. AF1 hollow lows, 33. I'm liking them so far but I've shredded my top bushings in just a few weeks, and the bottoms look like they're on their way out too. Also they feel a little bit too "twitchy" for my liking. One time I threw my board down and as soon as I put my weight on it, it did this weird 90° swerve thing for seemingly no reason and I ate shit.

So I'm debating which replacement bushings I should get. Should I go with the harder ones? If it makes any difference, 80% of my skating consists of slappy and flatground sessions

Yes, getting the Ace hard low bushings makes all the difference in the world with those trucks.  I skated a set of them for like six months and they were great with the replacement bushings

Shrimp

« Reply #6944 on: June 10, 2024, 07:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, getting the Ace hard low bushings makes all the difference in the world with those trucks.  I skated a set of them for like six months and they were great with the replacement bushings

Game on! I'm gonna pick some up for sure then. Thanks Big Kev

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1205
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6945 on: June 10, 2024, 07:55:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seconded. @big_kev_215 got me on the lows with the hard bushings and they make all the difference.

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 328
« Reply #6946 on: June 11, 2024, 03:35:03 AM »
 Thx slap, just ordered some hard bushings for my ace lows

I've been procrastinating about this as I hate messing with Aces and hard bushings never worked for me
But my original bushings look terrible and my kingpin has too many threads showing

I hope I like em better. 

rikki

• Rep: 335
« Reply #6947 on: June 11, 2024, 03:39:19 AM »
I don't really skate Aces anymore, but when I did, Ace hard bushings felt absolutely perfect for the trucks. Their stock bushings are really just not that good plus they are too soft and squirrely for most people.

trustinwockhardt

« Reply #6948 on: June 11, 2024, 05:53:40 AM »
Idk if anybody else has had this problem, but my top washer seems to be biting or digging into my bushings as well as the metal around the bushings. This started showing my first sesh skating them.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #6949 on: June 12, 2024, 05:11:32 AM »
just replace it with a larger washer, ace washers are too small, other brands are larger.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 71
« Reply #6950 on: June 12, 2024, 05:35:29 AM »
I put a flat washer like the bones ones on my af1's when I noticed the top bushing getting chewed up. Seems to have solved the issue. For the record I'm pretty sure that's happened to at least the top bushing on any truck I've ever had.

turdtastic

• Rep: 68
« Reply #6951 on: June 12, 2024, 07:19:37 PM »
I don't really skate Aces anymore, but when I did, Ace hard bushings felt absolutely perfect for the trucks. Their stock bushings are really just not that good plus they are too soft and squirrely for most people.
I came from skating Thunders with the Thunder hard 100a black bushings from their rebuild kit, and as a 200lb+ dude I love the Ace Classic bushings; started on Classics then got some hollow AF1s.
The AF1 bushings are too squishy for me tho, didn’t feel as good as my Classics.
Switched them for Ace hard bushings, still no good.
Switched those for Bones medium with flat washers top & bottom, still no good.
Bones hard with flat washers top and bottom, still didn’t feel right.
Put some Ace Classic bushings on my AF1s and all was well with my truck madness…

Shrimp

« Reply #6952 on: June 16, 2024, 12:34:34 AM »
Some notes after a few more sessions on the AF1 lows:

-It's already been discussed here, but the Ace hard low bushings are the way to go on these trucks. My main issue with the stock bushings is that they basically blew out after a few weeks of slappies. The hard bushings seem like they're gonna hold up better, and just as importantly, they feel better. My board is less twitchy and more stable without sacrificing any of that sweet Ace agility and turning.

-I wound up needing risers. I'm on 52mm radials and was getting pretty bad wheel bite skating flatground. 1/8 inch risers have remedied that. Kind of stinks because I loved how my setup felt without them. Just wasn't feasible for me, though. Maybe once my wheels wear down a bit I can ditch the risers. If my research and math serves correctly, my axle height is sitting at 52mm now, which is 1mm lower than regular AF1s. I feel like a bit of a goof for buying low trucks and then basically converting them back to standard AF1s.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #6953 on: June 16, 2024, 04:30:31 AM »
I’m on lows, and they feel amazing. The turn is still amazing, but slightly different in a way I don’t quite understand. But different in a good way
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea