Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147652 times)

El Chupacabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #780 on: February 22, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
So those photo CMYK decks I did are waterslide transfers.

I provide boards as props so I needed a way to offer custom and client logos on blanks that could be done quickly, this is the result.
Biggest downside, they're not very durable for actual skating. I have upped my varnish game recently though, the spray Varathane is really good. Lightyears beyond regular rattlecan varnish like rusto or krylon.

Heres a newish one.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2021, 10:24:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Is it pretty easy to accidentally sand a ply away when sanding off a graphic or nah? Sanding off a DIY spray paint stencil gone wrong on an unfinished blank deck, the paint is on there pretty good so I gotta go pretty rough to get it off, just kinda worried I might wear a whole ply away or something tho while doing it. I am using sandpaper and doing it by hand btw.
[close]

No you would be there for hours to try to get through a layer of ply.

Even just doing some simple graphic removal, you barely get through the paint layer and hardly take much wood with it.

The griptape off cuts I was using would tend to clog up pretty fast, but they were good for getting most of the paint off fairly easily, then just do the same all over a bit more gently and you would be looking at plain wood in no time.
Thanks for responding, definitely was a bit worried about sanding off a layer at first. 
Also, on a related note, how many layers of clear spray paint would y’all say is ideal for sealing an unfinished deck? I did one coat back n forth, let it sit for like a few minutes, then did another coat back and forth. I’m wondering if that’s enough or if I should do more. Too much and I’m worried it might start to pool or feel mucky, too little and I’m worried it isn’t going to be properly sealed.
Still a noob to all of this, but with time I hope to learn the ropes.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2021, 02:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it pretty easy to accidentally sand a ply away when sanding off a graphic or nah? Sanding off a DIY spray paint stencil gone wrong on an unfinished blank deck, the paint is on there pretty good so I gotta go pretty rough to get it off, just kinda worried I might wear a whole ply away or something tho while doing it. I am using sandpaper and doing it by hand btw.
[close]

No you would be there for hours to try to get through a layer of ply.

Even just doing some simple graphic removal, you barely get through the paint layer and hardly take much wood with it.

The griptape off cuts I was using would tend to clog up pretty fast, but they were good for getting most of the paint off fairly easily, then just do the same all over a bit more gently and you would be looking at plain wood in no time.
[close]
Thanks for responding, definitely was a bit worried about sanding off a layer at first. 
Also, on a related note, how many layers of clear spray paint would y’all say is ideal for sealing an unfinished deck? I did one coat back n forth, let it sit for like a few minutes, then did another coat back and forth. I’m wondering if that’s enough or if I should do more. Too much and I’m worried it might start to pool or feel mucky, too little and I’m worried it isn’t going to be properly sealed.
Still a noob to all of this, but with time I hope to learn the ropes.

Just one is plenty as long as you cover the whole board, not get spots done twice here or missed at all there.

We used to do a lot of painting of boards and the thicker coats of paint were pretty average to try to slide or do much on.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #783 on: March 08, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
Death of Marat deck

El Chupacabra

« Reply #784 on: April 05, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »

Francis Bacon, Study after Velasquez 8"

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #785 on: April 05, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #786 on: April 05, 2021, 03:24:10 PM »

Please let me buy this.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #787 on: April 05, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »
So those photo CMYK decks I did are waterslide transfers.

I provide boards as props so I needed a way to offer custom and client logos on blanks that could be done quickly, this is the result.
Biggest downside, they're not very durable for actual skating. I have upped my varnish game recently though, the spray Varathane is really good. Lightyears beyond regular rattlecan varnish like rusto or krylon.

Heres a newish one.

Can I just do this with water slide paper off Amazon and my inkjet desktop printer?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 04:04:20 PM by TwisT »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #788 on: April 11, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »
Finished a couple decks yesterday, and then tried out full dipping again (which is just spray painting, for those unaware). Tried to do a white spray paint border on the punk point, but my accuracy sucked. Sometimes you just gotta see what works and what doesn't!

I wanna set up the right one with new Aces, but at the same time I have 161 Thunder Hollow Lights collecting dust. We'll see though.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #789 on: April 11, 2021, 12:26:19 PM »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #790 on: April 11, 2021, 11:56:28 PM »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #791 on: April 12, 2021, 02:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please let me buy this.

that graphic is sick!

It reminds me of this youtube video that was always on my recommendations like 2-3 years ago.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: April 20, 2021, 07:20:26 AM »
water slide fingerboards, thank El Chupacabra for the info

El Chupacabra

« Reply #793 on: April 20, 2021, 03:16:05 PM »
Those are rad. I’ve been wanting to some fingerboards for Brujaria but as usual, more ideas than time and money.

Absinthe deck 8”

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #794 on: May 12, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
Red still needs clear coat, but brown is ready to set up tomorrow

Pretty glad how these turned out. Been having trouble with getting good woodstain results.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: May 12, 2021, 09:26:45 PM »
Red still needs clear coat, but brown is ready to set up tomorrow

Pretty glad how these turned out. Been having trouble with getting good woodstain results.

They really come up well and look so much better than the natural colour on its own.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: May 21, 2021, 08:10:48 AM »
Playing more with woodstains. Finish didn't come out to how I wanted due to a new way I was sanding them, but it'll be solved once I go back to my old way. Not clear coating yet since I want to stamp little graphics on them but supplies have yet to come in.

Personal favorites (right is going to be for me since I messed up on one of the bolt holes :v):

El Chupacabra

« Reply #797 on: May 21, 2021, 01:05:08 PM »
That faded blue is sick. Kinda like old denim. Are you gonna add a graphic?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #798 on: May 21, 2021, 01:52:20 PM »
That faded blue is sick. Kinda like old denim. Are you gonna add a graphic?

Thank you  :)

I plan to make my own stamps (probably start off with a basic leaf design or something) and stamp that image all over the decks or in a grid pattern, depending on how I'm feeling a deck.

Not going to do brand logos or similar things on the bottom ply because I hate the idea of people paying me to advertise my stuff.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #799 on: May 25, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »

Came out nice. Some imperfections from the stamp, but honestly I dig it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #800 on: May 25, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »
Repost from the “Over 9” thread

Painted with acrylic hobby paints and a brush that was way too big to do any detail, so added it with a sharpie.

OK, I’ve been working on this one for a while. Got an uncut blank with a 14 inch wheelbase, and wanted to make a fat twin

31.5 x 9.45
6.5 nose and tail
Ace Classic 66s
Indy Shock Pads
Freshly lubed Bronsons
Bones SPF 56mm

Like with a Tibetan sand mandala, the moment it’s finished (which may take years), the monk is supposed to sweep it away.
The graphics here are a bunch of fascist-lite/totalitarian leaders whose faces I wanted to wipe away.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: May 25, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »
@cucktard can you post picture of the rails. Want to see that route job. It’s a dumb thing I’m super In to at the moment

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #802 on: May 25, 2021, 05:16:44 PM »
@cucktard can you post picture of the rails. Want to see that route job. It’s a dumb thing I’m super In to at the moment

I could, but really, I didn’t have a bandsaw or a router. I cut it by hand and used a small electrical sander to finish.

Plus, the plies were all different widths. They were lined up on one side, but the 2nd and 6th plies weren’t wide enough, and I had to fill it in with epoxy.

But if you still want pics, I can post some
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #803 on: May 25, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I could, but really, I didn’t have a bandsaw or a router. I cut it by hand and used a small electrical sander to finish.

Plus, the plies were all different widths. They were lined up on one side, but the 2nd and 6th plies weren’t wide enough, and I had to fill it in with epoxy.

But if you still want pics, I can post some

No need. Thanks for the insight though.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: June 04, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »

Inspired by those early 90s decks where the tail got smaller and the nose got bigger, but the width was still wide.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #805 on: June 08, 2021, 05:51:12 PM »
Didnt know really where else to put these but since y'all seem to tolerate my shit in this thread, here ya go

Been tinkering with 3D printing for rails and risers

The split in the rail is to allow for printing. Gonna backfill with bondo and cast them in urethane. Molds are curing now.
The risers are 1/8" (approx. 3mm) but I can adjust the height on the print pretty easily. They fit Ace trucks perfectly cause thats the truck I had to measure.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: June 08, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
Didnt know really where else to put these but since y'all seem to tolerate my shit in this thread, here ya go

Been tinkering with 3D printing for rails and risers

The split in the rail is to allow for printing. Gonna backfill with bondo and cast them in urethane. Molds are curing now.
The risers are 1/8" (approx. 3mm) but I can adjust the height on the print pretty easily. They fit Ace trucks perfectly cause thats the truck I had to measure.

DIY everything thread - but yeah, these are looking good!

I know a guy who has been messing with a 3D printer at his work and has done risers for a number of people.

Curious to see how the rails hold up as the material the other guy uses is fairly brittle and some risers have cracked or broken, but that is half the fun isnt' it?

El Chupacabra

« Reply #807 on: June 08, 2021, 07:33:19 PM »
I’m gonna cast the duplicates in urethane. The print resin is way too brittle! I’m not unhandy with casting though. I’ve got an idea for translucent cmyk style dodges. We’ll see how it goes.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: June 09, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »
Shaped this and added cosmetic finishes.

- Zmorgf 9.0" x 32.38" with 14" - 14.5" wheelbase
- Thunder 161 Hollow Lights
- Spitfire F4 Conical Full F4 56mm 99a
- Bones Swiss
- Bones 1" hardware
- Rib Bones
- MOB
- Stickers + Posca paint pens

El Chupacabra

« Reply #809 on: June 09, 2021, 09:59:33 PM »
Now that I like! Jason Adams would be proud.

Rails and risers are in the rubber. Hopefully will have some castings by the weekend.