Author Topic: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?  (Read 21202 times)

tre killa

Re: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »
Quote from: Doogie Howser  link=topic=52249.msg1419953#msg1419953 date=1302056454
Fuck you guys I'm a way WORSE poster than Jay and Skater Austin
your my favorite poster doogie!

rmoto

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Expand Quote
I just talked to a friend in a bar yesterday, who knows that I skate, but isnt really interested in skateboarding at all (not that I tried to describe this whole lifestyle thing to him, he just knows I skate). There were 2 other guys at our table and as soon as we talked about skating one of them started to talk about longboarding. I didnt want to be to offensive and was like "yeah, whatever, I dont think I am too much into that..." and the other guy yells at him "He said he is a SKATEboarder, not a fucking Longboarder. For fucks sake, longboarding sucks and it?s not skateboarding..."
[close]

thank god someone outside the skate cummunity knows theyre not even nearly similar just because its wood and wheels
Couldn't agree more. A bunch of kids at my high school say their skaters and when i ask what kind of board they have the usually reply "Oh its a sector nine longboard" and then i try to explain that there different but by then there over it :/

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
I used to bring my board back in high school. After school before the bus came, it was usually one of the last ones, we would skate at the city park near by. I've never brought it anywhere else, never needed too. I feel fortunate that no asshole as bothered me while skating...but I did get this one kid at the skate park that ask what deck I rode. I told him a Expedition-One, his reply that it was a shitty tech deck board. I told him they are the same wood as DGK, he didn't say a word after that. All the skaters from my old town never knew brands outside of what was sold at CCS.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
I took my skateboard out to see a movie. I didn't have to pay to get it in.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Before the longboard infestation, I used to get the question "do you rollerblade too?" because in their ignorance they didn't know any better.

Occasionally, if I'm running late, the Zip Zinger comes out even if the class is sort of uphill, b/c it's faster than walking.  Aside from that, not really b/c it's annoying to skate w/ a bag full of books.

I generally try to keep the conversation as short as possible.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
I don't mind every now and then trying to explain things to non skaters.....because it makes me realize skateboarding in alot of ways is pretty dumb.  'you guys don't even know how skaters dress.....you want to know what they wear....o.k....they wear big white shirts....or cords and shoe lace belts....no...they wear dickies!'

get some

• Rep: 47
  • fromthewombtothetombpresumetheunpredictable
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
I live in Berkeley and usually skate to work because I can just cruise hills to get there. I don't have a car anymore, got rid of it before I moved down here last year, which was mostly economically driven, but really I was just sick of driving everywhere. The people I work with now are pretty hyped and think I'm making some sort of statement by riding my skateboard (I'm in my late 20's). In their defense, they probably think I just use it for transportation.
say they ain't no gravity up there....mean we could get high and never come down....

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »
I like going up too people wearing skate gear that obviously don't skate, and asking, "hey, what's up dude? you skate?". It always makes them feel pretty awkward, and it's usually pretty funny for me.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Borrelparaat

• Rep: -1
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »
I bring my board to school all the time actually, nobody really seems to care. Everyone knows that I skate and no one really asks a lot of questions about it.

russ

• Rep: -10
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2011, 08:27:44 AM »
I like to bring the thing everywhere. Mainly parties/bars because at least if it sucks i can leave whenever and cruise around. Most people around here are too busy with themselves to give me a hard time about it. Plus I love it when a random tells me to do a kickflip!

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »
Anyone have that article about bringing your skateboard to bars and getting laid cause of it?

dankradschwag

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »
i took my board to school and got head the same night...any correlation?

bakedRice

• Rep: -20
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just talked to a friend in a bar yesterday, who knows that I skate, but isnt really interested in skateboarding at all (not that I tried to describe this whole lifestyle thing to him, he just knows I skate). There were 2 other guys at our table and as soon as we talked about skating one of them started to talk about longboarding. I didnt want to be to offensive and was like "yeah, whatever, I dont think I am too much into that..." and the other guy yells at him "He said he is a SKATEboarder, not a fucking Longboarder. For fucks sake, longboarding sucks and it?s not skateboarding..."
[close]

thank god someone outside the skate cummunity knows theyre not even nearly similar just because its wood and wheels
[close]
Couldn't agree more. A bunch of kids at my high school say their skaters and when i ask what kind of board they have the usually reply "Oh its a sector nine longboard" and then i try to explain that there different but by then there over it :/

thats awesome that someone who doesnt skate recognizes the vast differences between the two. i see so many kids these days just copping out and getting a longboard so they can still push around but not have to atually try to learn tricks, societys always looking for the easy way out. a couple guys i went to high school with started longboarding and i always just want to tell them to shut the fuck up, they try to relate, show me vids, i dont care about fags in helmets bombing some slighty steep hills.

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
Anyone have that article about bringing your skateboard to bars and getting laid cause of it?

I'd like to see this. My friend and I always talk about bringing our boards to bars, he says it's a babe magnet. I still see no correlation

BraveUlysses

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd like to see this. My friend and I always talk about bringing our boards to bars, he says it's a babe magnet. I still see no correlation
I dont know your friend might be right. Today these two fat chicks were staring at me for a while and then walked up to me. I got all nervous because one of them was slowly pulling out a piece of paper and I thought she was trying to give me her number. It was just some shit to her church group though. But they were still chicks though even though they were gross so that might prove the chick magnet theory.

JabbaTheHut2000

• Rep: 1
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
how do you guys feel about bringing your board out to places? i dont know why, but in my head i still treat skating like its the late 80's, though i wasnt even born then. i dont like to bring my board to class, always keep it in the locker, and when i chat with people at school or work i rarely bring up skateboarding, even if they ask me what i like to do or hobbies, etc...

just want to see how others handle the "o you skate" type of conversation... i just tend to avoid it and hide it. i feel like once youre done high school people just assume everyone is boring and just do the typical things, and i dont like putting attention on myself, plus people always ask you to do shit and act impressed, id rather let them think im "just another guy" then have stupid subculture questions.

really? i feel like most people get juiced on skating. Lately i see a lot of blue collar and motorcycle old timers wearing creature shirts and slip on vans. And yeah most old people have their own stories of when they tried to skate but they usually are somewhat entertaining. a lot of people tend to give you a pass if you skate. if they crusie up and your skating they know you arnt gonna be hostile and treat you accordingly. drive around with a bro in a huge lifted truck and see the response you get comapared to driving around in a little beater skate logoed out car.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »
In the highschool days I brought my board everywhere just in case there was an opportunity to skate.  Now I avoid bringing it to certain places just to avoid the hassle of looking after it.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
I took my skateboard out to see a movie. I didn't have to pay to get it in.
ROLLY-POLLY SKATEBOARDS. EAT THEM UP YUM.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:18 AM »
"YO TONY HAWK DO AN OLLIE!!!"

BraveUlysses

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 04:13:48 AM »
Thats the kinda shit they used to say to me in grade school. They always called me Tony Hawk, even though I was black.

Osterberg

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:10 AM »
Wtf are you doing man? People love skating. Watch videos and look at the crowds gathered in the background. Yes there are the 'do a kickflip' freaks - just flip them some bemusing cryptic sign. I like to hold 4 fingers in the air. You'll develop your own.

RRRRRAD

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:09 AM »
i avoid bringing it anywhere, unless i really need to. fuck talking to people and fucking having people know you skateboard

Hannity

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »
If I'm not actually going to get a real session in, I leave it at home.?  Why torture myself with what I can't have?
yep exactly, if i'm just looking for transportation, i'll just bring the cruiser

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »

This used to bother me, but lately i fucking love it.  The fact that tony hawk is still the guy people think of is great and extremely funny to me.  I thrive on randoms calling me tony hawk,  i get a good laugh out of it now.

jackherer

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
I work for the federal government in Canada and I skate to work. I get maaad weird looks in the elevator, but don't really give a shit, sure beats walking. I got my board underneath my feet here at my desk and when im bored i start trying kickflips while still sitting on my chair.

nothing feels better at the end of the day than opening the door downstairs to the outside and just throwing my board down and cruising away full speed while everyone thinks i must just be someones kid.

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
I'm 30 and I pretty much carry my board around everywhere if I'm skating that day. Sometimes I get the good ol "aren't you too old for that shit" looks but whatever I guess. Especially in the winter time when it's all snowy and damn cold I jump into the buss early in the morning to go to work, the looks definitely come out. But what the fuck, let them have their "I'm a better person than this one" feeling. In the end of the day I know I'm winning.

"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
In the highschool days I brought my board everywhere just in case there was an opportunity to skate.  Now I avoid bringing it to certain places just to avoid the hassle of looking after it.

this. i've woken up in a haze only to realize i've lost my board. it sucked

jesse_m

• Rep: 0
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
whenever people yell at me to do a kickflip I just do a three flip to fuck with their idea of what a kickflip is

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
I want to skate to class but 1. It's too early 2. I don't want to be associated with all those fucking longboarders and 3. I'm always afraid that I'll eat shit because of wearing a backpack with a bunch of books in it.

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
whenever people yell at me to do a kickflip I just do a three flip to fuck with their idea of what a kickflip is

i kick the board down towards the ground, like a torpedo, 3ft in front of me. i stretch forward with my front foot to try and catch it, my back foot already firmly planted on the ground. Then look frustrated and say "FUCK, almost had that one"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:38:31 PM by daniel »