Author Topic: Things You Pondered Today  (Read 574967 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
Re: Things You Pondered Today
« Reply #3900 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
I was thinking about how "skate pairs" were a thing when I started skating. This was a Meza Skateboarder article if I recall. Like Heath and Klein, Dill and AVE, Wenning and Pappalardo. Two pros who always skated together.

Nowadays I don't really think anyone does that aside maybe from Dill and AVE still? Maybe Ben Blundell and Tyler Warren...it's not as noticeable as in the past.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #3901 on: November 02, 2019, 05:51:33 AM »
I was thinking about how "skate pairs" were a thing when I started skating. This was a Meza Skateboarder article if I recall. Like Heath and Klein, Dill and AVE, Wenning and Pappalardo. Two pros who always skated together.

Nowadays I don't really think anyone does that aside maybe from Dill and AVE still? Maybe Ben Blundell and Tyler Warren...it's not as noticeable as in the past.
Walker & Ishod

AssFlea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #3902 on: November 02, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
I got offered an insane amount of money for this.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

got me thinking what is it worth

The jacket is a 1970s two pocket levi type 3 that John Travolta touched in 2013. I have two more. Should have had him sign one.

The AxCx patch I got from Seth Putnam. Charley I think sold me the Psycho.

The Hand printed anticimex back patch came from crusty tim I think. I got it at an anarchist market

My ex boyfriend got me the other stuff.

There's 20 coats of a special paint that I mixed by hand in 2002 and ran out of.

It smells like a service yard for public transportation

I feel it's wrong to sell this to someone

I could have built a miniramp with the money. Maybe I would trade for a miniramp idk
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3903 on: November 02, 2019, 11:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Walker & Ishod

sean and sage, max palmer and cyrus, tom knox and nick jensen, mike arnold and casper brooker, there are a couple more, those are just trendy examples. i think marketing is really focused on depicting "crews" and/or sending one electric guy everybody likes on a lot of tours (ex. all the bald guys on nike and converse - paul grund, nik stain, bobby d, hjalte - always on random tours together. for the second example there's hjalte again, he's everywhere). skate clips are like friendship simulators more than ever
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #3904 on: November 02, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Walker & Ishod
[close]

sean and sage, max palmer and cyrus, tom knox and nick jensen, mike arnold and casper brooker, there are a couple more, those are just trendy examples. i think marketing is really focused on depicting "crews" and/or sending one electric guy everybody likes on a lot of tours (ex. all the bald guys on nike and converse - paul grund, nik stain, bobby d, hjalte - always on random tours together. for the second example there's hjalte again, he's everywhere). skate clips are like friendship simulators more than ever

Those are all good examples I didn't think of, and you're right about the crews. All the crews contribute to the glut of content now, in addition to the companies.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3905 on: November 02, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »
I was wondering whether it's nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? One of those days.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #3906 on: November 02, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
I go back and forth in preferring seasons, sometimes summer gets way too hot and I hate just feeling hot and working up a sweat over doing nothing, but on the other hand it sucks when its too cold to enjoy whatever your doing outdoors.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #3907 on: November 02, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
I was wondering whether it's nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? One of those days.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #3908 on: November 03, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »

The jacket is a 1970s two pocket levi type 3 that John Travolta touched in 2013. I have two more. Should have had him sign one.

The Hand printed anticimex back patch came from crusty tim I think. I got it at an anarchist market

There's 20 coats of a special paint that I mixed by hand in 2002 and ran out of.

I could have built a miniramp with the money. Maybe I would trade for a miniramp idk

As much as the jacket screams “not for sale” I’d take the mini.

It is not too weird selling it but buying it for a lot of money sure goes against it.
But whatever...

PMA

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3909 on: November 03, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »
The selling point to me is that John Travolta touched it

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3910 on: November 03, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »
I want to buy land. Anyone who contributes to the collective can live there.

I did it with an apartment for nearly a decade. Lots of good times and bad times.

Gentrification killed that.

How can gentrification kill it if you own the apartment?

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #3911 on: November 03, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
Expand Quote

I did it with an apartment for nearly a decade. Lots of good times and bad times.

[close]

the building was sold everyone was kicked out
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3912 on: November 03, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the building was sold everyone was kicked out

Oh, so you didn't own the apartment?

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #3913 on: November 04, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
has anyone ever clicked a banner ad on a website thinking "oh yes i need this" then proceeded to purchase the product?

i just feel like digital ad space is kinda pointless sometimes and only reminds people that yes, that company is still around. looking at the slap ads, its obviously stuff i am interested in and even still i wouldnt click and buy through a digital ad. especially these fucking krux ads.
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3914 on: November 04, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
the international space station does one complete revolution around the earth in 90 minutes .. that’s four miles per second .. it blows my mind that astronauts do space walks outside of it yet they don’t experience acceleration
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #3915 on: November 04, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »

what is an insane price to you? no offense but that looks like the most uncomfortable piece of clothing ever.
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3916 on: November 04, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
has anyone ever clicked a banner ad on a website thinking "oh yes i need this" then proceeded to purchase the product?

i just feel like digital ad space is kinda pointless sometimes and only reminds people that yes, that company is still around. looking at the slap ads, its obviously stuff i am interested in and even still i wouldnt click and buy through a digital ad. especially these fucking krux ads.

haha this is a good question, I'd be curious to know if anyone actually just made an on the spot purchase due to a banner because it seems unlikely

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #3917 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
I wanna try that cinnamon Coke that Twitter ads have been pushing on me.

Spent a bunch of time just looking at SkimTheFat archived pages this weekend, that site was way ahead of its time.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/skimthefat.com

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3918 on: November 05, 2019, 06:19:43 AM »
the international space station does one complete revolution around the earth in 90 minutes .. that’s four miles per second .. it blows my mind that astronauts do space walks outside of it yet they don’t experience acceleration
It's because they aren't accelerating any more.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3919 on: November 05, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ya i don’t quite understand it .. they’re “moving” 4 miles per second somehow .. im dumb so i don’t think it’ll ever register
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #3920 on: November 05, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
I don’t pay to attention to sports but I was listening to bill burr today and he was talking about Alex Bregman hitting and home run & holding his bat all the way to 1st base . Burr has big gripe against all the constant unnecessary celebration in sports these days . So I’m curious what other people think here on the board ? Me personally I don’t care for arrogance and disrespect to something that’s been around a lot longer then I have been around for and today’s society doesn’t care much for previous rules . they want to make there own set of rules for others to follow .

I hate unnecessary celebrating in football, mainly. Hate it with a passion.

Most of the time when a guy scores a TD, he gets the whole team in the endzone to pose for the camera or some shit. Just spike the ball (or preferably hand it to the ref) and jog back to the sidelines.

The worst is when a guy from a team that is losing by 35 points will get up after getting a first down and point down the field. What are you celebrating? You are getting your asses kicked. Just shut the fuck up.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #3921 on: November 06, 2019, 04:42:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

ya i don’t quite understand it .. they’re “moving” 4 miles per second somehow .. im dumb so i don’t think it’ll ever register

I don't quite understand all of it either, but I think because they're not accelerating or changing the speed at which they're moving, they don't feel that movement. Like when you fly on a plane, you feel the speed when you take off, but when your cruising at like 500-something mph, you don't feel like you're going that fast.

Plus theres no gravity or any other force working against you when you're in space.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #3922 on: November 06, 2019, 04:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I don't quite understand all of it either, but I think because they're not accelerating or changing the speed at which they're moving, they don't feel that movement. Like when you fly on a plane, you feel the speed when you take off, but when your cruising at like 500-something mph, you don't feel like you're going that fast.

Plus theres no gravity or any other force working against you when you're in space.

Yea something similar when I was a kid, i thought that if you were on a train and jumped, while you were in the air the train would move under your feet and you would float. But i guess since you are going the same speed it doesnt work like that. Yea though space walks seem pretty fucking wild with no wind resistance it must be weird as hell.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:52:44 AM by os89 »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3923 on: November 06, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea something similar when I was a kid, i thought that if you were on a train and jumped, while you were in the air the train would move under your feet and you would float. But i guess since you are going the same speed it doesnt work like that. Yea though space walks seem pretty fucking wild with no wind resistance it must be weird as hell.
What trips me out is that there is gravity and the space station is effectively falling however due to it's speed and position in low earth orbit it never hits the ground.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3924 on: November 06, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »
I just made spam with hash browns and put a slice of cheese on top for dinner. Being broke is fun. What’s the strangest concoction y’all have come up with when money is tight but need to eat?

It’s not that gross but it’s not great.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3925 on: November 06, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been skating for 32 years and I'm finally realizing that the glory days are over. I'm starting to grasp that skating will never be as popular as it was in the 2000s again. Skateshops are closing, I never see anyone street skating when I am out and and about and when I do see someone with a board 9 times out of 10 it's a longboard or a penny cruiser. I should mention I live in Southern California. I have to say, I'm kinda stoked that our thing is kinda going underground again. I've also realized most of us are crazy for sticking with this shit for as long as we all have and to love it as much as we do is not considered normal by the mainstream non-skating public. FUCK EM
[close]

I remember as a teenager skating around the city of sydney, you would see skaters at every street corner, you couldnt hit a spot without other people cruising up to it. I know the skate scene in sydney is still somewhat strong but i just rarely see skaters out now
I live in the middle of nowhere. It’s crazy now when I think how nobody is out skating anymore. I don’t see anyone anyways. We used to roll around like bandits and cross the paths of others doing the same.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #3926 on: November 06, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been skating for 32 years and I'm finally realizing that the glory days are over. I'm starting to grasp that skating will never be as popular as it was in the 2000s again. Skateshops are closing, I never see anyone street skating when I am out and and about and when I do see someone with a board 9 times out of 10 it's a longboard or a penny cruiser. I should mention I live in Southern California. I have to say, I'm kinda stoked that our thing is kinda going underground again. I've also realized most of us are crazy for sticking with this shit for as long as we all have and to love it as much as we do is not considered normal by the mainstream non-skating public. FUCK EM
[close]

I remember as a teenager skating around the city of sydney, you would see skaters at every street corner, you couldnt hit a spot without other people cruising up to it. I know the skate scene in sydney is still somewhat strong but i just rarely see skaters out now
[close]
I live in the middle of nowhere. It’s crazy now when I think how nobody is out skating anymore. I don’t see anyone anyways. We used to roll around like bandits and cross the paths of others doing the same.

It used to be a more frequent thing everywhere: packs of skaters roaring down the street. That was such an awesome sight and sound. They've successfully domesticated and tamed skateboarding. Or maybe the younger generation doesn't see the point of leaving the park. There are still small isolated groups hitting the streets but it's not the same.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3927 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
I feel like a bitch saying this but there are definitely too many parks in new york city and it feels like bread and circuses to keep us away from borough hall and big screen or whatever.* also I got kicked out of that park in East Harlem with the concrete mini because it's completely within the confines of a school's recess area and adults can't be in there during school hours.

*full disclosure: this is part of the subject of my undergrad urban studies thesis
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #3928 on: November 06, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
why did 360s go out of style in the mid to late 90s and what led to their comeback? jeremy wray and some other people did front threes sometimes but even those were rare and you almost never saw back threes.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #3929 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

It used to be a more frequent thing everywhere: packs of skaters roaring down the street. That was such an awesome sight and sound. They've successfully domesticated and tamed skateboarding. Or maybe the younger generation doesn't see the point of leaving the park. There are still small isolated groups hitting the streets but it's not the same.

I loved this, makes me feel lucky to grow up with that in the city.... those were the best times of my life, its sad to see how much things have changed.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up