Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 294595 times)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 451
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2190 on: December 06, 2020, 11:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
David Fincher basically said there isnít going to be another season of Mindhunter, despite all the foreshadowing in the first two.  Apparently it was too expensive to make and wasnít getting enough views?  Seems like odd reasoning for a show thatís mostly filmed in dark rooms and that the entire internet raves about.
[close]

Itís more that heís too busy to give his input and direct and eps so he ended it.  Fincher uses a fuckton of cgi you wouldnít think about and basically blew up two Go shows for HBO over budget issues.  Quality isnít cheap. 

If youíre ever in Hollywood/Los Feliz heís got a pretty notable office building off Hollywood and Gramercy.  Youíd recognize it from the beginning of LA Confidential
[close]

The way I understand it is that Netflixís percentage decreases every season. Unless they are certain that a particular show is drawing eyeballs to the service, it doesnít really matter if the show is successful because the economics stop favoring Netflix.

Unfortunately this has left a whole lot of incomplete series. It would be better if creators started operating under the assumption they will be writing a limited series.

Thatís definitely a thing they do, but three seasons is usually where they cut it off unless the cost is exorbitant like in Altered Carbon and that Baz Luhrman show about the birth of hip hop.   Fincher has an unrivaled leash in Hollywood and pretty much calls his own shots to the point where he can call the shots on his posters, etc.   heís got a deal with Netflix (Mank written by his dad that he directed, premiered Friday) and Netflix keeps their creators happy and will let him do what he wants to do especially if he wants to keep doing it with them.   Keep in mind, HBO didnít go forward with Utopia or Video Synchronicity bc of budget issues so Iím sure Fincher likes being at a place that gives him a blank check.   Netflix wants legitimacy in its film department and heís part of the respectability

Also, itís on Starz, but I recommend checking out Go.  Not great, but a pretty fun 90s movie

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • The blank from hell.
« Reply #2191 on: December 13, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »
I feel like I talk about Ti West on here more than skateboarding, but I just watched In A Valley Of Violence.  Really well done western, and the dog actor (dogtor?) gave a better performance than most stars in MCU movies.

I can't vouch for the trailer, but the whole movie is awesome and i just wanted to give some context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFD4f1_eZno
Gonna peep this. Almost took a chance on it the other day. Love westerns.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
    • Aural Buthcheryers
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2192 on: December 13, 2020, 10:23:24 PM »
Mank is outstanding.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
« Reply #2193 on: December 13, 2020, 11:00:54 PM »
On Netflix I've recently watched and enjoyed The Great British Baking Show, Terrace House, and Midnight Diner. On Apple TV, Ted Lasso and Earth at Night in Color.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -66
« Reply #2194 on: December 14, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
Handmaiden is a good Korean movie that has some over the top lesbian sex scenes, but mostly isn't as violent as normal Korean films if your partner finds that troubling.

gumsole

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2195 on: December 14, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
Manhunt - deadly games is a really legit series. I really enjoyed the way they made the first season on the unabomber and this season didn't disappoint. Led me to research all the crazy anti fed militia groups in north carolina appalachians.

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 439
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2196 on: December 14, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel like I talk about Ti West on here more than skateboarding, but I just watched In A Valley Of Violence.  Really well done western, and the dog actor (dogtor?) gave a better performance than most stars in MCU movies.

I can't vouch for the trailer, but the whole movie is awesome and i just wanted to give some context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFD4f1_eZno
[close]
Gonna peep this. Almost took a chance on it the other day. Love westerns.

Thereís a Netflix western mini series Godless that was super enjoyable if yíall havenít seen it already...

This one is up. Pretty solid film..

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
« Reply #2197 on: December 14, 2020, 11:10:41 PM »
When is Fargo gonna hit netflix....

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #2198 on: December 15, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »
Its on Hulu
highly recommend as streaming service if you dont have.  Personally think it has the better options for Tv shows and Anime (its got the OG dragonball)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 02:24:39 PM by Abyss1 »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2199 on: December 15, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Its on Hulu
highly recommend as streaming service if you dont have.  Personally think it has the better options for Tv shows and Anime (its got the OG dragonball)

Plus you can do espn+ and Disney+ as a combo for no extra $. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1232
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube
« Reply #2200 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
formula 1 drive to survive is the best thing on netflix, everything else seems like trash to me
ONTARIO CANADA

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 453
« Reply #2201 on: December 17, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »
The new season isn't that great, if that makes you feel any better.
I really liked Jessie Buckley (the redhead from the latest Charlie Kaufman movie) in it though.

Not netflix, but that John Wilson show is incredible, I watched it all last weekend.
Really captures how grotesque and alienating modern life is, but is still hilarious about it.
Nancy Drew

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #2202 on: December 17, 2020, 11:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I really liked Jessie Buckley (the redhead from the latest Charlie Kaufman movie) in it though.

i thought the same.  if felt like they were trying to force the story somewhere, and it just didn't work for me. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #2203 on: December 17, 2020, 12:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i thought the same.  if felt like they were trying to force the story somewhere, and it just didn't work for me.

Yea i was going to post the same but, Chris Rock is actually really good at his role in this...the story seems like they're making shit up as they go.

Andrew Schulz saves America on Netflix was pretty funny

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2204 on: December 17, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Jimi Britches was an interesting choice to play Jason Schwartzmanís brother

jamersonbass

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2205 on: December 17, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not netflix, but that John Wilson show is incredible, I watched it all last weekend.
Really captures how grotesque and alienating modern life is, but is still hilarious about it.

LOVE How To.  While it does show how bizarre modern life is, I feel like he has a warm empathy towards his subject.  Besides the sight gag clips thrown in, he really seems to respect and want to understand the subjects.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -51
  • olive garden
« Reply #2206 on: December 17, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
Nothing good on these days

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #2207 on: December 17, 2020, 08:30:07 PM »
think im a bit late to the party on this one but im almost finished cobra kai and loving it

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

sebastianvv412

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2208 on: December 17, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »
TOP BOY SUMMERHOUSE then TOP BOY in that order. Basically like a UK version of The Wire. I watched it before Drake started sponsoring it :/

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 439
« Reply #2209 on: December 18, 2020, 07:11:42 AM »
Probably one of the sole reasons to get HBO Max...

Wire, true detective, sopranos, curb, eastbound and down... just the tip of content they have.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

woodsman

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2210 on: December 18, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »
On Amazon prime Sound of Metal is really good.

jamersonbass

« Reply #2211 on: December 19, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »

This really got me.  I'm primarily a working musician (or was, before COVID), leaps and bounds better at music than skating.  My biggest fear has always been losing my hearing or fucking up my hands.  The ending was touching and haunting at the same time.

I watched the Lie on Amazon Prime last night.  I'd give it like a 6/10, but with some of the filler trash you see, I've come to tolerate mediocre movies more than ever.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2212 on: December 19, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This really got me.  I'm primarily a working musician (or was, before COVID), leaps and bounds better at music than skating.  My biggest fear has always been losing my hearing or fucking up my hands.  The ending was touching and haunting at the same time.

I watched the Lie on Amazon Prime last night.  I'd give it like a 6/10, but with some of the filler trash you see, I've come to tolerate mediocre movies more than ever.

I got excited that the parking lot they stay at in the beginning was the indie-ish theater in Danvers, MA I used to go to when I lived in the North Shore

bea!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #2213 on: December 20, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
Not ashamed to admit that I watched the Kacey Musgraves Christmas Special on Amazon Prime...  I loathe Christmas but I had to watch this due to her being my one true love and all (and I am a legitimate fan). She is dreamy to say the least.

Started watching The Good Lord Bird on Showtime... really good so far and Ethan Hawke is great as John Brown.  The directing is a little Tarantino-lite which can irk me a little, but excited to keep watching it.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2214 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:27 AM »
Probably one of the sole reasons to get HBO Max...

Wire, true detective, sopranos, curb, eastbound and down... just the tip of content they have.

We canít get the proper channel here but pretty much you hear that hisssing noise and you see hbo logo you know itís gonna be alright

I didnít read back too far but has anyone seen this show called Barry I just started on it itís decent
listen to cosmic psychos

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
« Reply #2215 on: December 20, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »
I'm sure people have already talked about this since I'm late to the show, but damn, Ozark is some hard shit.

My gf and I just finished season 1 and loved it. It was sort of a weird transition going from finishing Arrested Development (for the 2nd time), then seeing Jason Bateman in such a different role.

DarkPools

• Rep: 21
  • Dirty Mike & The Boys
« Reply #2216 on: December 20, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »
Ozark and Sense 8 are my main two
Colt 45 Cannon

thot juice

• Rep: -32
« Reply #2217 on: December 21, 2020, 06:00:22 PM »
Not ashamed to admit that I watched the Kacey Musgraves Christmas Special on Amazon Prime...  I loathe Christmas but I had to watch this due to her being my one true love and all (and I am a legitimate fan). She is dreamy to say the least.
Expand Quote

i fw her on this i thought it was clairo at first
https://youtu.be/0DUxxQwyyfY
[close]

jamersonbass

« Reply #2218 on: December 23, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »

Started watching The Good Lord Bird on Showtime... really good so far and Ethan Hawke is great as John Brown.  The directing is a little Tarantino-lite which can irk me a little, but excited to keep watching it.

Thanks for the rec. Watching this now. I've been obsessed with her since I first saw her on the Grammy's.  Nothing quite like a liberal country artist who loves weed and is beautiful to boot.  Be still my heart...

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
« Reply #2219 on: December 23, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »
The Expanse on Amazon prime is really good...

Also I am partial to The Grand Tour too

(i wish they would make a second season of John-Claude Van Johnson though)