Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 386041 times)

rukes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2490 on: April 24, 2022, 02:30:00 AM »
I saw Cypress about 10 to 15 years ago at a time you could still smoke indoors at concerts and it was amazing.

Like they went all out to put on an amazing show. Totally exceeded my expectations because sometimes hip hop shows are lacking.

Sorry for hijacking. In regards to Netflix, it has the least amount of stuff I want to watch compared to other streaming services available in Aus.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2491 on: May 07, 2022, 06:30:16 AM »
The pentaverate. (Not saying it's great, just saying it doesn't suck)
Ok so at first I was like oh this sucks it's just Mike Myers doing all his usual Mike Myers stuff. But then it's like actually yeah why not. Compared to the utter garbage Adam Sandler and co have been making it's actually decent. I'm not dieing laughing or anything(it's not exactly my sense of humour, feels like it's aimed at people a probably in their 40s who grew up with 90s Mike Myers) but at least it's actually trying to make a decent amount of jokes. My usual criticism of Netflix applies tho every series should of just been half the amount of episodes or been a movie

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2492 on: May 07, 2022, 09:15:24 AM »
Incomplete Life is a fuckin awesome kdrama for those interested

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2493 on: May 07, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
Wife and I have been fighting about the end of Ozark. I’m fine with it, she’s not happy at all.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2494 on: May 07, 2022, 04:11:08 PM »
Wife and I have been fighting about the end of Ozark. I’m fine with it, she’s not happy at all.

I got sopranos vibes… i actually really liked it.

With other characters, I’ll come back so i won’t spoil it. Ruth has by far been my fav.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2495 on: May 07, 2022, 06:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With other characters, I’ll come back so i won’t spoil it. Ruth has by far been my fav.
Ruth is a great character. That illmatic episode was very cool. Wendy though, Laura Linney is an insanely talented actor.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2496 on: May 07, 2022, 09:39:33 PM »

Ending was excellent. Nothing was left hanging. angel from Montgomery was choice AF
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2497 on: May 08, 2022, 08:32:54 AM »

it's ok, but really i agree with your wife--i much prefer Jonah with that Ruger Mini-14 from season one

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #2498 on: May 08, 2022, 09:48:49 AM »
Archer is fucking awesome.  secret agent animation comedy.  im both attracted and terrified of cheryl tunt

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2499 on: May 08, 2022, 07:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ruth is a great character. That illmatic episode was very cool. Wendy though, Laura Linney is an insanely talented actor.

Was not feeling how they jumped around Nas illmatic tracks…killer mike cameo was out of character and plot

End was really dope felt like they did it right, i was more upset at how things ended for navarro

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2500 on: May 08, 2022, 07:45:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Was not feeling how they jumped around Nas illmatic tracks…killer mike cameo was out of character and plot

End was really dope felt like they did it right, i was more upset at how things ended for navarro

Killer mike piece was really, really odd. Like, did she listen to hip hop prior? I wasn't sure what was going on there

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2501 on: May 08, 2022, 08:21:15 PM »
She always was listening to rap, but like stuff my 40 year old ass listens to. She’s only supposed to be like 20 on the show. I liked the illmatic episode. Yea they jumped tracks but each track felt relative to the scene. That exchange with killer mike and the coffee, “I never sleep.” “Why not?” “You know…” I loved it. You know how many heads that flew over.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2502 on: May 11, 2022, 08:37:31 AM »
She always was listening to rap, but like stuff my 40 year old ass listens to. She’s only supposed to be like 20 on the show. I liked the illmatic episode. Yea they jumped tracks but each track felt relative to the scene. That exchange with killer mike and the coffee, “I never sleep.” “Why not?” “You know…” I loved it. You know how many heads that flew over.

It felt like forced style when skating, they really didnt need to add that dialogue. 

Not once in my 20+ yrs listen to illmatic did i ever get the perspective Ruth had, plus Nas lived like most NY rappers from the 90s including wu tang.

I was actually waiting for them to play it aint hard to tell

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2503 on: May 11, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »
throughout the series, the hip hop Ruth's been listening to has been a great way to convey how her horizons are broader than where/who she comes from...or at least that she wants them to be....escaping the Langmore 'curse" is an ongoing thing. not sure if it has to do much with this, but there's also that subtle "hillbilly" versus "redneck" tension going on at times throughout the series, the former supposedly coming with some degree of nobility the latter does not--it comes up with the Snells at points...that may be straying from the conversation...maybe not.

the Killer Mike cameo was interesting...that's all i got on that.

i took the whole Illmatic thing to be her trying to psych herself into doing what she felt she needed to do...not to mention she's from poverty and up against it--whether she's white and rural--so it's obvious how Nas' stories on Illmatic might feel relatable...

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #2504 on: May 11, 2022, 09:48:39 AM »
if you're into true crime esque shiet, worst roommate ever on netflix is entertaining garbage to waste your time on

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2505 on: May 11, 2022, 08:47:46 PM »
I’m watching 7 years in Tibet rn.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #2506 on: May 12, 2022, 04:33:48 AM »
if you're into true crime esque shiet, worst roommate ever on netflix is entertaining garbage to waste your time on

I second this. The first episode tripped me out. Wasn't expecting it at all.

The John Wayne Gacy Tapes series on Netflix is solid, too.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #2507 on: May 18, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »
Not Netflix, but I've been thoroughly enjoying 'The Offer' on Paramount+, which is all about the making of the Godfather; and 'Minx' on HBO Max. Both are perfectly paced and energetic… and I guess I'm just really into early '70s production design because every set and outfit in these shows get me stoked

LB

« Reply #2508 on: May 18, 2022, 03:30:16 PM »

archive 81 was better than most the creepy cult series.  2 parallel timelines of past and present being told.

Archer is fucking hilarious, especially once they start to flesh out the side characters

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2509 on: May 18, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
Blew thru TNG last autumn and winter, onto season 2 DS9. Such sick shows that I never watched as a kid.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2510 on: May 20, 2022, 06:00:42 PM »
Blew thru TNG last autumn and winter, onto season 2 DS9. Such sick shows that I never watched as a kid.

TNG hits…slept on show for binging

I restarted ds9 but got distracted with Xfiles

90s nostalgia is heavy

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2511 on: May 21, 2022, 06:43:05 AM »
I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a huge fan of Kanye, his production, his music in general, or his antics, but I enjoyed the fuck out of his new documentary. The first episode alone is such an incredible time capsule of rare behind-the-scenes hip hop history. Definitely gave me a new appreciation for him. Some heavy shit too. Him losing his mom hit me hard as fuck.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2512 on: May 21, 2022, 07:55:45 AM »
That exchange with killer mike and the coffee, “I never sleep.” “Why not?” “You know…” I loved it. You know how many heads that flew over.

Oh damn, that line totally flew over mine too until I really thought about just now.  Very clever.

LB

« Reply #2513 on: May 22, 2022, 03:10:15 PM »
season 3 of love, death and robots up on netflix.  really good collection of animated short stories, each episode is different.  generally has a dystopian/scifi/comedy/black mirror vibe.  well worth checking out if you not seen it

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #2514 on: May 25, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »
For The Wire fans…

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:09:16 PM by GardenSkater77 »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #2515 on: May 26, 2022, 12:44:35 AM »
So, I had already "read" the book (audible), but the show is good if you haven't. If you haven't started the show yet though, then I think the book would be a better start. It just makes it easier to follow all of the shady bullshit that goes on in the show. Jon Bernthal is fucking perfectly cast though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Yu Dum

« Reply #2516 on: May 26, 2022, 07:03:20 AM »
I know I'm super fucking late to the party, but goddamn is Ozark a wild ride. I'm only on S2e3, but this shit has me on the edge of my seat with each event.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #2517 on: May 26, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »
I know I'm super fucking late to the party, but goddamn is Ozark a wild ride. I'm only on S2e3, but this shit has me on the edge of my seat with each event.

Im even later. This one is next for me though. I've heard nothing but good things.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #2518 on: May 26, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im even later. This one is next for me though. I've heard nothing but good things.

I’ll swear up and down by another Netflix drama, Bloodline once y’all finish Ozark… it starts off kind of slow then ramps up.

Thoroughly enjoying the newest season of Barry on HBO max. Noho hank is my favorite…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #2519 on: May 27, 2022, 01:39:02 AM »
The pentaverate. (Not saying it's great, just saying it doesn't suck)
Ok so at first I was like oh this sucks it's just Mike Myers doing all his usual Mike Myers stuff. But then it's like actually yeah why not. Compared to the utter garbage Adam Sandler and co have been making it's actually decent. I'm not dieing laughing or anything(it's not exactly my sense of humour, feels like it's aimed at people a probably in their 40s who grew up with 90s Mike Myers) but at least it's actually trying to make a decent amount of jokes. My usual criticism of Netflix applies tho every series should of just been half the amount of episodes or been a movie

I binged it and I actually laughed a lot.

Strange question, but did you also have the feeling you had to "adjust" to this kind of comedy again?
I almost looked around and asked "it's ok to laugh with this right?"

And I agree that it could have been a movie.

Still enjoyed it though :-)