Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387666 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2790 on: January 20, 2023, 11:18:12 PM »
Ya'll keep posting stuff and getting me excited for new shows and movies and they're not even on Netflix. Roberto Bummin.
If we followed what the name of the thread was there'd only be about two posts a year

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2791 on: January 21, 2023, 12:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Ya'll keep posting stuff and getting me excited for new shows and movies and they're not even on Netflix. Roberto Bummin.
[close]
If we followed what the name of the thread was there'd only be about two posts a year

there’s also the problem of shows/movies being on different streaming services in different countries.  Not everything on Netflix in the states is there internationally and vice versa

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2792 on: January 21, 2023, 02:36:04 PM »
The name of the thread just needs to be changed.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #2793 on: January 21, 2023, 11:14:15 PM »
If only there was a thread titled something like "Last Good Movie I Saw," that didn't focus on a single platform...

Irvine-Sucks.com

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2794 on: January 21, 2023, 11:19:58 PM »
^^Well yeah but that threads for movies and this one's mostly about series.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2795 on: January 22, 2023, 12:39:50 AM »
^^Well yeah but that threads for movies and this one's mostly about series.

I like to assume that other thread is for new movies in theaters and this one is for whatever is on streaming, but that doesn’t usually seem to be the case

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2796 on: January 22, 2023, 08:07:03 PM »
I don’t know how the hell I missed it, but I Think You Should Leave is fucking incredible.

Thanks for posting this enjoying the hell out of it right now. First scene includes hotdog humor? I'm fucking sold immediately

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2797 on: January 22, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t know how the hell I missed it, but I Think You Should Leave is fucking incredible.
[close]

Thanks for posting this enjoying the hell out of it right now. First scene includes hotdog humor? I'm fucking sold immediately
There's another show on Netflix called "the characters" where different people have an episode each of sketches and Tim has the second last episode (pretty sure going off memory). It's like a bonus episode of I think you should leave

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2798 on: January 26, 2023, 09:33:09 PM »
Mystery road: origin
Pretty good. Little crime thriller thing set in outback Aus. Worth watching if you like mystery road and if you haven't seen mystery road but like crime thriller noiry type things I'd say it's worth it (altho look up the proper order as it alternates between movies and series)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2799 on: January 27, 2023, 02:23:24 PM »
Since there's a new full-length Christmas special out, we are re-watching "The Detectorists", which is honestly one of the best shows in decades. Any one of you grown-ass men still meeting with your friends to practice your hobby/obsession (skateboarding) will relate. Everyone describes the show as "gentle" and that's true, but re-watching it now I realize that it's probably the most accurate depiction of male friendship I've ever seen in a TV show.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2800 on: January 27, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »
It’s on Peacock, but has anyone dipped their toes in Paul T Goldman?   

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2801 on: February 10, 2023, 12:17:58 AM »
The maid ..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2802 on: February 10, 2023, 02:00:31 AM »

ohcomeon

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2803 on: February 10, 2023, 09:34:02 AM »
Since there's a new full-length Christmas special out, we are re-watching "The Detectorists", which is honestly one of the best shows in decades. Any one of you grown-ass men still meeting with your friends to practice your hobby/obsession (skateboarding) will relate. Everyone describes the show as "gentle" and that's true, but re-watching it now I realize that it's probably the most accurate depiction of male friendship I've ever seen in a TV show.

I fully agree.

It is a really good show.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2804 on: February 10, 2023, 10:06:31 PM »
I liked it….mentioned it before but I dug ‘this country’ a lot too….

Watching Broad City the one girl reminds me of Nora…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2805 on: February 11, 2023, 07:01:33 AM »

This country is hard to find in the US surprisingly since there’s a US remake of it going on Fox

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2806 on: February 11, 2023, 07:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This country is hard to find in the US surprisingly since there’s a US remake of it going on Fox
Could they be trying to bury it so it doesn't compete with their American product? This country and people just do nothing are both great but it's hard to ignore them doing the David Brent so often. I guess Gervais probably got it from somewhere too tho so it's all fair.
Speaking of British comedy with American remakes "ghosts" is alright. From the crew that did horrible histories you won't die laughing but it's decent.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2807 on: February 11, 2023, 05:15:38 PM »

Definitely a weird one but good watch

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2808 on: February 11, 2023, 06:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Could they be trying to bury it so it doesn't compete with their American product? This country and people just do nothing are both great but it's hard to ignore them doing the David Brent so often. I guess Gervais probably got it from somewhere too tho so it's all fair.
Speaking of British comedy with American remakes "ghosts" is alright. From the crew that did horrible histories you won't die laughing but it's decent.

I don’t think so, it just doesn’t have any streaming deal or is on dailymotion. 

HBOgo still updates their BBC Ghosts, Miranda is still on BritBox or whatever…   

i don’t think many people would even realize “Welcome to Flatch” is “This Country” (it took me to the middle of the pilot to realize) or that “Call Me Kat” is “Miranda”.   From what I’ve seen, they usually try and prop up the originals when the remakes come out

Also, I’ve mentioned Miranda a bit - that is not an endorsement or recommendation

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2809 on: February 11, 2023, 07:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
There's another show on Netflix called "the characters" where different people have an episode each of sketches and Tim has the second last episode (pretty sure going off memory). It's like a bonus episode of I think you should leave

"What if I promise not to do a paint job in there?" So good.

I've been watching The Last Of Us and liking it a lot so far.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2810 on: February 12, 2023, 04:03:49 PM »
Yeah, the last of us is good. I just watched the new season of "You" and it sucked. The first 3 seasons are good though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2811 on: February 12, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »
Yeah, the last of us is good. I just watched the new season of "You" and it sucked. The first 3 seasons are good though.

If you’re interested, the Video Games section has a dedicated thread to LoU the show

Thank you for saying that about You.   I came in late (and it was the pandemic) so it was easy to breeze through, but Christ these felt like a who cares jambalaya

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2812 on: February 12, 2023, 08:10:53 PM »
The Walk-in and Time.

I've been on a BBC miniseries binge - Stephen Graham is pretty much guaranteed worth a watch. I'm not sure where you watch in the US but SBS On Demand is seriously the spot in Oz (free as well!)

Also, Tokyo Vice was pretty fun too - I think it's HBO Max.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2813 on: February 12, 2023, 08:34:02 PM »
The Walk-in and Time.

I've been on a BBC miniseries binge - Stephen Graham is pretty much guaranteed worth a watch. I'm not sure where you watch in the US but SBS On Demand is seriously the spot in Oz (free as well!)

Also, Tokyo Vice was pretty fun too - I think it's HBO Max.
SBS on demand rules (apart from the app being a little fiddly at times) "the head" is another pretty good series. Just put up season 2

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2814 on: February 12, 2023, 08:46:14 PM »
The Curse is a good 70s-set comedic British heist show apparently based on a true story

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #2815 on: February 13, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »
I think I’m in the vast minority who’s actually enjoying the new season of You.  Was getting extremely bored with Joe going through the same romantic/murderous motions over and over in previous seasons.  Which may sound hypocritical considering the same thing is kind of happening this time around, but at least the murder mystery plot gives it a fresh twist.  Only watched the first 4 episodes so far, though.

Also binge watched the first few episodes of Your Honor season 2 which has been great, except for Fia going on and on about Adam, which may be relevant but still exhausting.  Hate having to wait for new weekly episodes in 2023 but what can ya do.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2816 on: February 13, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »
Adam underlined my problem with shows like that - the children of the main characters kill these shows stone dead.   I mean on every premium network that isn’t HBO.   They could have cast a better actor than Adam, but he brings that same exhausting energy to that Wednesday show

Also, Bryan Cranston acts too much

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2817 on: February 13, 2023, 05:05:57 PM »
You is my guilty pleasure show and the new season had me for a second, but the end of the first half is so predictable and disappointing. I do like watching rich jabronis getting killed off though, so I'll finish it when the rest comes out.

Anyone subscribe to Shudder? I've been saving Skinamarink for awhile and finally have a night to watch it. I know it's probably going to be pretentious and terrible, but I haven't seen a good spooky movie in a bit.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2818 on: February 13, 2023, 06:51:38 PM »
You is my guilty pleasure show and the new season had me for a second, but the end of the first half is so predictable and disappointing. I do like watching rich jabronis getting killed off though, so I'll finish it when the rest comes out.

Anyone subscribe to Shudder? I've been saving Skinamarink for awhile and finally have a night to watch it. I know it's probably going to be pretentious and terrible, but I haven't seen a good spooky movie in a bit.

Shudder is awesome if you can swing the $.  Yes, I'm poor, but subscribed month to month between September and December.  Prime Spoopy Season....  I'd say the $6 a month is worth it alone to watch Resurrection and Speak No Evil alone.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2819 on: February 13, 2023, 06:54:26 PM »
I believe if you subscribe to AMC+ you get Shudder in the mix (though it might also be vice versa as well)