Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387679 times)

luvs2spooge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2820 on: February 14, 2023, 05:11:16 PM »
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio       really good.
hemi sync

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2821 on: February 14, 2023, 06:09:35 PM »

Co-sign

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2822 on: February 15, 2023, 01:35:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah, the last of us is good. I just watched the new season of "You" and it sucked. The first 3 seasons are good though.
[close]

If you’re interested, the Video Games section has a dedicated thread to LoU the show

Thank you for saying that about You.   I came in late (and it was the pandemic) so it was easy to breeze through, but Christ these felt like a who cares jambalaya

Thanks Atiba. Yeah I don't know if the rest of the season will come anywhere close to ep 3 but regardless it's pretty engaging even during the low points.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2823 on: February 15, 2023, 01:57:39 AM »
Mr Inbetween, watched the 3 seasons in 2 days, so good

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2824 on: February 15, 2023, 02:10:48 AM »
^best show. I've said before and I'm sure nobody cares but it's the most accurate representation of Australia ever put on film. (Perhaps minus the whole the magician element)
I think the worst thing that happened with it is it came out at the same time as Barry and even tho they're completely different there's no way to do the general elevator pitch without them sounding like the same thing. Eg it's a show about a hitman trying to live a normal life. It's mostly dramatic but has some really funny parts too

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2825 on: February 15, 2023, 02:58:08 AM »
^best show. I've said before and I'm sure nobody cares but it's the most accurate representation of Australia ever put on film. (Perhaps minus the whole the magician element)
I think the worst thing that happened with it is it came out at the same time as Barry and even tho they're completely different there's no way to do the general elevator pitch without them sounding like the same thing. Eg it's a show about a hitman trying to live a normal life. It's mostly dramatic but has some really funny parts too

Every time I see Fabinho play for Liverpool, it reminds me of this show

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2826 on: February 15, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
Well shit gonna have to give that show a shot then

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2827 on: February 15, 2023, 05:13:48 PM »
Well shit gonna have to give that show a shot then

Get ready to watch all 3 seasons in about 4 days.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2828 on: February 15, 2023, 06:14:55 PM »
On HBOmax…

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

ApesPissed

• Rep: 59
« Reply #2829 on: February 15, 2023, 07:59:35 PM »
On HBOmax…

I didn’t love Chungking express, but one of the directors other films is also on hbo: Fallen Angels. It is so good

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2830 on: February 15, 2023, 09:44:25 PM »
^^^both are in my top 5 but I think on an objective level I'd have to give it to Chungking

Almost Famous is on Amazon Prime. Super fun movie although I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman had more screentime

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: February 15, 2023, 11:09:08 PM »
^^^both are in my top 5 but I think on an objective level I'd have to give it to Chungking

Almost Famous is on Amazon Prime. Super fun movie although I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman had more screentime

I thought "in the mood for love" was the undispited #1 WKW movie.   Tony Leung is such a goddamn good actor.  He even brings it in the Marvel movie he's in

Any big Almost Famous fans might like to know that the unrated cut "Untitled" has finally made it on to digital.   Don't recall what is different off the top of my head, but worth looking into

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2832 on: February 16, 2023, 01:18:34 AM »

I like Chungking Express even more knowing it was "just" a relatively quick side project during the production delays of Ashes of Time.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #2833 on: February 16, 2023, 03:08:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought "in the mood for love" was the undispited #1 WKW movie.   Tony Leung is such a goddamn good actor.  He even brings it in the Marvel movie he's in

Any big Almost Famous fans might like to know that the unrated cut "Untitled" has finally made it on to digital.   Don't recall what is different off the top of my head, but worth looking into

In The Mood For Love is up there for me…. So good.

Fallen Angels I’ll have to check that one out.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2834 on: February 17, 2023, 04:03:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know how the hell I missed it, but I Think You Should Leave is fucking incredible.
[close]

Thanks for posting this enjoying the hell out of it right now. First scene includes hotdog humor? I'm fucking sold immediately
[close]
There's another show on Netflix called "the characters" where different people have an episode each of sketches and Tim has the second last episode (pretty sure going off memory). It's like a bonus episode of I think you should leave
[close]

"What if I promise not to do a paint job in there?" So good.

I've been watching The Last Of Us and liking it a lot so far.

i talked shit in here about how i thought The Last of Us looked before it came out--i just finished watching the Bill and Frank episode for the third time...fucking surprising, and funny, and beautiful...

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2835 on: February 17, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »
Mr Inbetween, watched the 3 seasons in 2 days, so good

Based of a feature film with the same actor, I believe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dn99Y3sXweU&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2836 on: February 17, 2023, 10:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know how the hell I missed it, but I Think You Should Leave is fucking incredible.
[close]

Thanks for posting this enjoying the hell out of it right now. First scene includes hotdog humor? I'm fucking sold immediately
[close]
There's another show on Netflix called "the characters" where different people have an episode each of sketches and Tim has the second last episode (pretty sure going off memory). It's like a bonus episode of I think you should leave
[close]

"What if I promise not to do a paint job in there?" So good.

I've been watching The Last Of Us and liking it a lot so far.
[close]

i talked shit in here about how i thought The Last of Us looked before it came out--i just finished watching the Bill and Frank episode for the third time...fucking surprising, and funny, and beautiful...

@Deputy Wendell so good, right? I found myself fully crying more than once while watching episode 3.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #2837 on: February 19, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
Sorry To Bother You

Fun bizarre ride that initially made me think of Idiocracy however turned out to be completely different. Spooky what became of Armie Hammer in relation to the character he played

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #2838 on: February 20, 2023, 05:29:35 AM »

took my kids to see it in the theater. so good.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2839 on: February 20, 2023, 04:42:47 PM »
Kinda been digging The English on Prime.   

It’s a western series starring Emily Blunt and an Native American actor, that seems from the first two minutes like it’s going to be some dusty romance where two people from opposite ends of society find love, but after that prologue, it definitely runs far from that idea and becomes a nice, stylish western we all love

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #2840 on: February 26, 2023, 06:37:47 AM »
Severance if you can justify a reason to get Apple TV.
If you're into sci-fi, work place dissections, and maybe a bit of Mid-Summar vibes, watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2841 on: February 26, 2023, 09:10:51 AM »
If you're into sci-fi, work place dissections, and maybe a bit of Mid-Summar vibes, watch.

AppleTV has a pretty solid hit/miss record.   Liaison with Vincent Cassell and Eva Green is promising.  Slow Horses is great.   Bad Sisters was great. 

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #2842 on: February 26, 2023, 06:05:51 PM »
Severance is hands down one of my favorite TV series. The way that it's done and the acting are all impeccable, and it becomes such an interesting crossover of genres. I'd honestly recommend getting Apple TV for a month just to watch this show. Once you get into it it'll be hard to put down.

My partner and I just watched that new Junji Ito anime series on Netflix and I really liked it. The first episode wasn't great but all the other ones after that were solid. They're all individual stories too so you can pick and choose whichever ones you want to watch. We were so into it that we started watching Death Note afterwards lol. Super good so far too.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2843 on: February 27, 2023, 12:00:59 AM »
Watched the "Predator" prequel "Prey" on Hulu today and the positive reviews are not unfounded. I watched it in English first, then watched the un-subtitled Comanche dub version.

I think it is the best in the franchise, better than the original (which is only okay to me, though I have come to appreciate it more over the years). It was impressive how director Dan Trachtenberg had the ability to take the existing story elements we are familiar with and adapt them into the 18th century Great Plains setting with a female protagonist in a Comanche tribe that we care about/identify with, and give us a bad ass updated version that examines themes like coming-of-age, what it means to be a warrior and the destructiveness of colonialism.

Loved the juxtaposition of the primitive weapons of the Comanches and the French fur traders against the high-tech weapons the Predator was armed with. For the most part, it seemed to be period-accurate, paying great attention to detail with respect to the costuming and tools used by the characters.

The protagonist's dog was ill as fuck (maybe the best canine sidekick since Mad Max's in "The Road Warrior"), the effects were passable (if not impressive) and the Predator itself was very intimidating.

I was very entertained.

Prey > Predator > Predator 2 > Predators > all the rest
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2844 on: February 27, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »
For fans of true crime, this one is pretty gnarly

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #2845 on: February 27, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »

Good timing to watch because (spoilers if you haven't watched yet)...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2846 on: February 27, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »
Watched the "Predator" prequel "Prey" on Hulu today and the positive reviews are not unfounded. I watched it in English first, then watched the un-subtitled Comanche dub version.

I think it is the best in the franchise, better than the original (which is only okay to me, though I have come to appreciate it more over the years). It was impressive how director Dan Trachtenberg had the ability to take the existing story elements we are familiar with and adapt them into the 18th century Great Plains setting with a female protagonist in a Comanche tribe that we care about/identify with, and give us a bad ass updated version that examines themes like coming-of-age, what it means to be a warrior and the destructiveness of colonialism.

Loved the juxtaposition of the primitive weapons of the Comanches and the French fur traders against the high-tech weapons the Predator was armed with. For the most part, it seemed to be period-accurate, paying great attention to detail with respect to the costuming and tools used by the characters.

The protagonist's dog was ill as fuck (maybe the best canine sidekick since Mad Max's in "The Road Warrior"), the effects were passable (if not impressive) and the Predator itself was very intimidating.

I was very entertained.

Prey > Predator > Predator 2 > Predators > all the rest

I watch these guys a lot and they liked how it was a time piece movie

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2847 on: February 27, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »

What’s even weirder is there was one in the pandemic on HBOMax that feels pretty damn identical

Also, weird up-skirt framing on one of the girls interview.   They should have adjusted the angle or had her change or something.   It was weird

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2848 on: February 28, 2023, 03:58:12 AM »
Perry Mason season 2 starts in a week probably on whatever you watch hbo. Cool crime/noir set in la in the 30s. Based on the books but couldn't say how accurate to the source material they've kept it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2849 on: February 28, 2023, 04:25:58 AM »
Perry Mason season 2 starts in a week probably on whatever you watch hbo. Cool crime/noir set in la in the 30s. Based on the books but couldn't say how accurate to the source material they've kept it.

Season 2 is by the guys who did the Clive Owen show The Knick, so I’m especially pumped

Also, Rain Dogs starts that same night for anyone a fan of the UK show This Country.   It’s the creative team’s new show