Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689428 times)

slappy50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3030 on: November 15, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »
i’m pretty sure i heard somewhere that you could use your truck axle as a bearing press.... like put the wheel on and do the first bearing as usual, then the second bearing get it in as far as possible. put washer on the outside bearing then the nut, then tighten it down all the way so the bearing(s) go right into the wheel straight. then back it off to where you usually ride it. idk if it damages bearings or not but it seems to work pretty good sooooo....
niggling

[/quote]

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3031 on: November 16, 2020, 12:28:22 AM »
i’m pretty sure i heard somewhere that you could use your truck axle as a bearing press.... like put the wheel on and do the first bearing as usual, then the second bearing get it in as far as possible. put washer on the outside bearing then the nut, then tighten it down all the way so the bearing(s) go right into the wheel straight. then back it off to where you usually ride it. idk if it damages bearings or not but it seems to work pretty good sooooo....

This is how I have been doing it since the 90s and I don't think I have ever damaged a bearing. I am also using the axle to remove bearings when they are stuck, just push it halfway into the wheel so the thread grabs onto the inside of the bearing and wiggle/pull the wheel at an angle.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3032 on: November 16, 2020, 01:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is how I have been doing it since the 90s and I don't think I have ever damaged a bearing. I am also using the axle to remove bearings when they are stuck, just push it halfway into the wheel so the thread grabs onto the inside of the bearing and wiggle/pull the wheel at an angle.

Yes indeed! 

The simple skateboard is often the best work bench for doing or fixing lots of things.

The only difference is I put two bearings onto the axle, face down, press the wheel down on the first and spin to make sure it is centered, turn the wheel over and push it down on the second, spin and if good, then put the nut straight on.

Super easy.

Note I put both axle washers on the inside, most of the time even a third, just to get the wheels out a little bit more and the nut is flush with the end of the axle.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3033 on: November 16, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »
You guys ever try one of those skate tools with the bearing press on there? Pretty dope. It makes it too big to carry but I just kinda keep it as my at home tool and it works out nicely.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3034 on: November 16, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
You guys ever try one of those skate tools with the bearing press on there? Pretty dope. It makes it too big to carry but I just kinda keep it as my at home tool and it works out nicely.

I have one, or should I say I have lots, one in every place I have to fix boards.  I know there are a few options, but the Reflex tool / Indy tool which has the press and the axle rethreader and they are amazing, but to put bearings in when building setups, I find it a whole lot easier to spread the pressure over both palms of my hands pushing down on the wheel on the axle while the board is on the floor.  It takes half the time too.

Also I know when people have put bearings in but are a bit off center, this way I can check they are spinning correctly on the axle.

These really are the best all round tool I have, mainly for the added rethreader, but it is solid and doesn't bend or break.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:22:22 PM by Mbrimson88 »

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #3035 on: November 16, 2020, 11:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes indeed! 

The simple skateboard is often the best work bench for doing or fixing lots of things.

The only difference is I put two bearings onto the axle, face down, press the wheel down on the first and spin to make sure it is centered, turn the wheel over and push it down on the second, spin and if good, then put the nut straight on.

Super easy.

Note I put both axle washers on the inside, most of the time even a third, just to get the wheels out a little bit more and the nut is flush with the end of the axle.
yeah man good to hear i haven’t been doing it wrong all along... kinda thought the getting the first bearing in reasonably straight was a given lmao. in terms of spitfire i’ve got some spitfire radial 55mm 99a possibly coming my way that i’m theoretically saving for christmas time, i got a pair of 56mm conical full 101a down to 49 or so mm across all wheels, at which point they were too small for my crusty streets so i threw on some lock-ins i had from a couple of summers ago to get me by.. so far so good. i haven’t skated transition with them yet but i think they should lock in like a conical full? maybe not, i’m not sure
niggling

[/quote]

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3036 on: November 17, 2020, 05:18:20 AM »

lock-ins i had from a couple of summers ago to get me by.. so far so good. i haven’t skated transition with them yet but i think they should lock in like a conical full? maybe not, i’m not sure

spitfire radial 55mm 99a  = excellent choice!

Radials, lock ins and conical full all have a more squared edge, so will feel much the same on transition (for the tiny part of the wheel that actually touches coping).

Classic variations are the only one with a really rounded edge and I find them easier to get on and off coping, but other people I know say they slip out on classics, so if you are used to the squared edge, the ones you said will most likely work best.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3037 on: November 17, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
F4 97'S feel super good, not at all like a cruiser wheel but with just a little bit of give on crusty spots, still a little bark when you slide, still have my tailslides, blunt slides etc.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3038 on: November 17, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote

lock-ins i had from a couple of summers ago to get me by.. so far so good. i haven’t skated transition with them yet but i think they should lock in like a conical full? maybe not, i’m not sure
[close]

spitfire radial 55mm 99a  = excellent choice!

Radials, lock ins and conical full all have a more squared edge, so will feel much the same on transition (for the tiny part of the wheel that actually touches coping).

Classic variations are the only one with a really rounded edge and I find them easier to get on and off coping, but other people I know say they slip out on classics, so if you are used to the squared edge, the ones you said will most likely work best.

Radials are the best. My favorite shape, lots of grip, rounded enough to tailslide and crook, but square enough to lock in. Shape looks great too.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3039 on: November 18, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
Is the 97a new? I recall 99a and 101a, of course, but suddenly I am seeing 97a around. Did Spitfire realize that America's infrastructure is crumbling and skaters need a softer wheel?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3040 on: November 18, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
Is the 97a new? I recall 99a and 101a, of course, but suddenly I am seeing 97a around. Did Spitfire realize that America's infrastructure is crumbling and skaters need a softer wheel?
Yes the 97a are new for this new drop. only in classic shape.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3041 on: November 18, 2020, 07:58:17 PM »
thanks for posting that, want 52's BAAAAAAD

Tactics has them "coming soon"

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3042 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
OG Classics 55mm is going to be my next wheels.  8)

I lied, got 55mm Skate Like a Girl Radials from local.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3043 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are just the normal OG Classics, not the Formula Four classics though.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3044 on: November 19, 2020, 06:38:07 AM »
Anymore reports on the 97s?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3045 on: November 19, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
Expand Quote
OG Classics 55mm is going to be my next wheels.  8)
[close]

I lied, got 55mm Skate Like a Girl Radials from local.

Just my preference but I like Classics better when they have worn down and widened out on the surface area, pretty much how radials are from the second you put them on, so good choice!!!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3046 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:14 AM »
The perfect wheel doesn’t ex...

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3047 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:04 AM »
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3048 on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The perfect wheel doesn’t ex...

Heavy claim! I wasn't going to go down to the skate shop to get some but now I just might...

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3049 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3050 on: November 19, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
So if I like the feel of Bones SPF 84B are the F4 97A for me?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3051 on: November 19, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
I would guess you want 101s. 84B is harder than the A-scale will accurately measure.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3052 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're right!  My bad.  Cowtown has 55mm and 60mm F4 OG Classics and 54mm F4 97 Classics for those who're looking

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3053 on: November 19, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would guess you want 101s. 84B is harder than the A-scale will accurately measure.

Thanks! It’s weird, I have skated 101A before and the SPF 84B definitely have more grip. I thought these formulas are just marketing wash but maybe there is something to it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3054 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks! It’s weird, I have skated 101A before and the SPF 84B definitely have more grip. I thought these formulas are just marketing wash but maybe there is something to it.

The different brands, especially Bones and Spitfire are like apples and oranges, both are very unique in their own in house manufacturing and trade secrets, etc.  They will feel so very different to each other, both have pros and cons, but the most common belief is the B scale is 20 points lower than the A scale, even though it is not an accurate measure, so 84B is supposed to be 104A. Bones park formula SPF does feel pretty grippy once they wear down, but I have had some Spitfire F4 101s that felt more slippery when new than anything, then felt more grippy than anything once worn down, so it is a hard measure.

The amount of surface contact has a lot to do with that too.  More surface contact, more grip / less slip.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:39:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3055 on: November 19, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
More surface contact, more grip.
More surface contact doesn't mean more grip.

The force due to friction is generally independent of the contact area between the two surfaces.

Weight/Mass is what causes grip/friction.

https://www.dummies.com/education/science/physics/how-surface-area-affects-the-force-of-friction/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:34:09 PM by Firebert »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3056 on: November 19, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote
More surface contact, more grip.
[close]
The force due to friction is generally independent of the contact area between the two surfaces.

Weight/Mass is what causes grip/friction.

https://www.dummies.com/education/science/physics/how-surface-area-affects-the-force-of-friction/

Yes indeed, so should change it to less slip?

*** EDIT ***

(I know it might sound weird, but often having discussions with "science and physics" people doesn't equate to what you or I experience when actually riding a skateboard, so from my own personal perspective of skating and riding many different shapes of wheels / setting up boards and skating for a lifetime, this is how I feel.)

(For me) Thinner surface area wheels slip out much more easily than wide surface wheels, which is why I enjoy wide surface area wheels.

Others might not really know about it though.  :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:17:21 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3057 on: November 19, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?

The original formula SFW shape is even wider than the Formula Four conical full, so you are going from original super wide to F4 very thin, which is going to feel different, but maybe not bad, depending on what you ride and how you skate.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #3058 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
The 97s feel like 99 Formula Fours just smoother. They slide when you want them to, easily and they feel good. Similar to a Bones SPF just better, not as grippy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3059 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You're right!  My bad.  Cowtown has 55mm and 60mm F4 OG Classics and 54mm F4 97 Classics for those who're looking

They are definitely on the way though!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvoVbqFx19/