Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 406706 times)

Mbrimson88

• Rep: 24
  • Aussie skate shop guy
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3060 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
thanks for posting that, want 52's BAAAAAAD
[close]

Tactics has them "coming soon"

They are just the normal OG Classics, not the Formula Four classics though.
I talk too much.  Sorry.

RichardBarkley

• Rep: -105
« Reply #3061 on: November 19, 2020, 06:38:07 AM »
Anymore reports on the 97s?

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3062 on: November 19, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
Expand Quote
OG Classics 55mm is going to be my next wheels.  8)
[close]

I lied, got 55mm Skate Like a Girl Radials from local.

Just my preference but I like Classics better when they have worn down and widened out on the surface area, pretty much how radials are from the second you put them on, so good choice!!!

I talk too much.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #3063 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:14 AM »
The perfect wheel doesnít ex...

Croquet temper

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3064 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:04 AM »
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3065 on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The perfect wheel doesnít ex...

Heavy claim! I wasn't going to go down to the skate shop to get some but now I just might...

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #3066 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »

listentoaheartbeat

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3067 on: November 19, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
So if I like the feel of Bones SPF 84B are the F4 97A for me?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
    • Instagram
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3068 on: November 19, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
I would guess you want 101s. 84B is harder than the A-scale will accurately measure.

slutonparade

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3069 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're right!  My bad.  Cowtown has 55mm and 60mm F4 OG Classics and 54mm F4 97 Classics for those who're looking

listentoaheartbeat

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3070 on: November 19, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would guess you want 101s. 84B is harder than the A-scale will accurately measure.

Thanks! Itís weird, I have skated 101A before and the SPF 84B definitely have more grip. I thought these formulas are just marketing wash but maybe there is something to it.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3071 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks! Itís weird, I have skated 101A before and the SPF 84B definitely have more grip. I thought these formulas are just marketing wash but maybe there is something to it.

The different brands, especially Bones and Spitfire are like apples and oranges, both are very unique in their own in house manufacturing and trade secrets, etc.  They will feel so very different to each other, both have pros and cons, but the most common belief is the B scale is 20 points lower than the A scale, even though it is not an accurate measure, so 84B is supposed to be 104A. Bones park formula SPF does feel pretty grippy once they wear down, but I have had some Spitfire F4 101s that felt more slippery when new than anything, then felt more grippy than anything once worn down, so it is a hard measure.

The amount of surface contact has a lot to do with that too.  More surface contact, more grip / less slip.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:39:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram
« Reply #3072 on: November 19, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
More surface contact, more grip.
More surface contact doesn't mean more grip.

The force due to friction is generally independent of the contact area between the two surfaces.

Weight/Mass is what causes grip/friction.

https://www.dummies.com/education/science/physics/how-surface-area-affects-the-force-of-friction/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:34:09 PM by Firebert »

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3073 on: November 19, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote
More surface contact, more grip.
[close]
The force due to friction is generally independent of the contact area between the two surfaces.

Weight/Mass is what causes grip/friction.

https://www.dummies.com/education/science/physics/how-surface-area-affects-the-force-of-friction/

Yes indeed, so should change it to less slip?

*** EDIT ***

(I know it might sound weird, but often having discussions with "science and physics" people doesn't equate to what you or I experience when actually riding a skateboard, so from my own personal perspective of skating and riding many different shapes of wheels / setting up boards and skating for a lifetime, this is how I feel.)

(For me) Thinner surface area wheels slip out much more easily than wide surface wheels, which is why I enjoy wide surface area wheels.

Others might not really know about it though.  :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:17:21 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3074 on: November 19, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?

The original formula SFW shape is even wider than the Formula Four conical full, so you are going from original super wide to F4 very thin, which is going to feel different, but maybe not bad, depending on what you ride and how you skate.
I talk too much.  Sorry.

John Kreese

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3075 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
The 97s feel like 99 Formula Fours just smoother. They slide when you want them to, easily and they feel good. Similar to a Bones SPF just better, not as grippy.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3076 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You're right!  My bad.  Cowtown has 55mm and 60mm F4 OG Classics and 54mm F4 97 Classics for those who're looking

They are definitely on the way though!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvoVbqFx19/
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
    • Suciu
« Reply #3077 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The original formula SFW shape is even wider than the Formula Four conical full, so you are going from original super wide to F4 very thin, which is going to feel different, but maybe not bad, depending on what you ride and how you skate.

Love my SFWs. Just got conical Fulls and I think I like the sfw better. I think the f4 og classic will be the best of both worlds.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3078 on: November 20, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Love my SFWs. Just got conical Fulls and I think I like the sfw better. I think the f4 og classic will be the best of both worlds.

It is interesting the OG Classics although squared in shape are quite thinner overall, which is not a bad thing but a bit funny when lined up beside the others.  I know it is no comparison, but OG is about as wide as the Lock Ins (left), so when you look at the SFW (middle) compared to Conical Full (right) they are the thinnest wheels in that group.

I think the pic is too small and I forgot those lock ins were bigger in diameter so wider as well, but dimensions for 54mm:

OG 32.5
CF  34
SFW  34.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4zB1BlGqM/

I talk too much.  Sorry.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
    • Suciu
« Reply #3079 on: November 21, 2020, 03:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It is interesting the OG Classics although squared in shape are quite thinner overall, which is not a bad thing but a bit funny when lined up beside the others.  I know it is no comparison, but OG is about as wide as the Lock Ins (left), so when you look at the SFW (middle) compared to Conical Full (right) they are the thinnest wheels in that group.

I think the pic is too small and I forgot those lock ins were bigger in diameter so wider as well, but dimensions for 54mm:

OG 32.5
CF  34
SFW  34.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4zB1BlGqM/

Crazy... They look so wide in pictures but I've never seen them in hand. Will probably just go back to 52-53 SFWs. For this Baltimore crust they have been perfect.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

144p

• SLAP Pal
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #3080 on: November 21, 2020, 07:43:58 AM »
For anyone looking we have some 97s in 54/56 classic shape and a decent selection of other formula fours. Ship pretty quickly tues-Saturday and try to make single item shipping as inexpensive as possible(under 1 pound goes first class so $3-4)
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire.htm

Twanked n Danked

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3081 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
So Iíve finally gotten around to skating the 97s on transition, and they are exactly what I was looking for. They grip walls really well and donít unexpectedly slide out on you like how the 99s and 101s sometimes do. They also retain speed pretty good, although just a tad bit less than the 99s and 101s, again itís not a dramatic difference in speed, but a noticeable difference in grip. My local parks surface is pretty well maintained and no graffiti , but I expect these to ride especially well in parks where thereís a lot of paint and weathered surfaces.

franquietits

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3082 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:16 AM »
Jeezuz, just shelled out $46 w/tax for F4 classics, while my past F4 lock-ins were about $33...

anon

• Rep: 63
« Reply #3083 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
what are the pros and cons of the og classic shape?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 20
  • big bentley truck, gimmie good luck
« Reply #3084 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
what are the pros and cons of the og classic shape?
If you want a wide contact patch on a wheel below 54mm, the OG classic is spitfires widest offering (after 54, conical full is wider).  (They're also good options if you want something like the conical full in the OG formula).

cons I guess would be they're wide and heavy

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3085 on: November 22, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »
OG Classic shape is not that wide and not that heavy really.

The very squared off edge with a medium width and wide surface area is good if you want that sort of thing, with the cutaway side to reduce weight as well.

If you cut the sides off a conical full that would be almost the exact outside riding shape, or you could say a squared edge design that is almost a fat cut away tablet wheel or a cut away double sided lock in, if that makes any sense.

They also come in original formula and Formula Four, so you have the two options there.

If you compare 54mm wheels in all options, the OG Classics:

* have the widest surface contact 22mm, bar Conical Full same at 22 and Lock ins at 22.5mm

* are 32.5 wide, so really only the Radial Slim and Tablet being thinner, and Conical just scraping in at 32.2 wide, with all others being wider by a mm or two.

All round they could be the best overall size and shape for people who want that sort of thing, but you do have lots of options now, especially once production ramps up and they do make more sizes in everything again.

Currently the 55mm version of the F4 and the 52mm version of the classic urethane are widely available that I have seen, with some places hinting at the F4 52mm is coming soon.

I reposted the Spitfire card that someone else had put up a few pages back, that has all the current specs, including Classic, OG Classic, Lock Ins, Tablets, Radial Slim, Radial, Conical and Conical Full.

When opened it does show all the specs clearly for me, but might be too small to see on other screens.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 06:00:07 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram
« Reply #3086 on: November 24, 2020, 08:33:47 AM »
Why is there a can of WD-40?! Keep that away from your bearings.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3087 on: November 24, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »

As much as Bones bearings info sheets specifically say "Do not use WD40" it is an integral part of bearing cleaning and maintenance.

It is how I have kept my own Bones swiss and every other brand of bearings in between running very nicely for a long long time, including completely seized up bearings that people have been ready to throw out, but the main thing to remember is it is not the only thing to use, eg use WD40 to get the mess out of the bearings, then when clean and dry use bearing lube / machine oil to keep them rolling.

It also helps with oh so many other things in the shop too.  You might be surprised.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

jimgrude

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3088 on: November 24, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As much as Bones bearings info sheets specifically say "Do not use WD40" it is an integral part of bearing cleaning and maintenance.

It is how I have kept my own Bones swiss and every other brand of bearings in between running very nicely for a long long time, including completely seized up bearings that people have been ready to throw out, but the main thing to remember is it is not the only thing to use, eg use WD40 to get the mess out of the bearings, then when clean and dry use bearing lube / machine oil to keep them rolling.

It also helps with oh so many other things in the shop too.  You might be surprised.

Exactly. The mistake people make is that they use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's a degreaser, so you use it to remove the dirty oil, then get your bearings completely spotless before adding fresh bearing oil.

144p

• SLAP Pal
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #3089 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
But it does erode and wear away the plastic crowns that most bearing manufacturers use, thatís why they recommend a citrus cleaner instead.
Not immediately but it does do damage. Thatís why no bearing brands suggest using it.