Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 707669 times)

sebbo, Meathook and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BugleBites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3480 on: May 29, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had those Kader radials last year I believe, hated them.
They just felt off.
[close]

Would like to hear more about those. I usually ride 52-54mm wheels in 99 duro and conical fulls have treated me well. Radials seem to be exactly as wide but less contact surface.
[close]
I guess radials kinda = classic full no?

Nah. Completely different shape. Radials are closer to the conical.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #3481 on: May 29, 2021, 02:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had those Kader radials last year I believe, hated them.
They just felt off.
[close]

Would like to hear more about those. I usually ride 52-54mm wheels in 99 duro and conical fulls have treated me well. Radials seem to be exactly as wide but less contact surface.
[close]
I guess radials kinda = classic full no?
[close]

Nah. Completely different shape. Radials are closer to the conical.

I have both Radial and Classic and they ride fairly similarly. They slappy and slide the same. The Radial is like a classic skated down 2 mm. I have never tried a conical or tablet because I don’t like the feeling of locking in. Also, I would imagine a rounded edge allows one to break into a slide easier.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 08:24:14 PM by GardenSkater77 »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #3482 on: May 30, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »
I set up my first set of spitfire wheels a few days ago, F4 99 Tablets 53mm.
I'm seriously amazed. Have been riding stf(83b, v3) and spf(84b, p5) before and the tablets are so much smoother but still slide perfectly.
So far I'm sold

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3483 on: May 30, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
I have both a set of 97a 56mm classics and 97a 54mm conicals. I gotta say that I prefer the classics to the conicals, but one of the problems I think I'm having with the conicals is that they are newer and haven't had time to harden up like the classics, but I've recently found both to be just a bit too sticky and soft on days when it's warmer than about 20ºC.

I was kinda bummed out that I had just started riding a new set of F4 99A Tablets when 97A hit the European market. As it's getting warmer outside the 99As are definitely sticking to the ground more. I think anything softer would be too sticky for me during the summer. Might get 97As for the next winter, however.

I'm seriously amazed. Have been riding stf(83b, v3) and spf(84b, p5) before and the tablets are so much smoother but still slide perfectly.
So far I'm sold

Did the same switch beginning of the year and never looked back. More control on any terrain with just the right amount of slide in most situations. Never really believed in wheel differences until I started riding SPFs, and now after some heavy skating with the F4s I am even more impressed with them. Should have gotten OG Classics or Conical Fulls though, just gut feeling but something tells me I'd prefer a wider wheel than the Tablets.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #3484 on: May 30, 2021, 11:01:12 AM »
Aight gods Im stuck in a decision. Im rocking the Tablets right now and they are getting really worn down. I fucking love these love the lock-in for transition skating and love the fact that the slide is so controlled. Was wondering is there much of a difference between the Tablets and the Radial and Conical Full shapes? Was just seeing some really cool options in those two shapes that are tempting me to change.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3485 on: May 30, 2021, 01:13:11 PM »
So far I'm sold

i made the switch too, at least for now. i had tried a bunch of wheels in the bones lineup, and was firmly in the bones camp.

f4's have a great balance of speed and forgiveness/shock absorption, as well as slide vs grip. bones might be a little faster and more durable though.

also i've posted about it a bunch of times but i hate how bones makes you choose between street and park formula. like yeah i know you can ride both in either but still.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3486 on: May 31, 2021, 01:06:12 AM »
Hi, there! I read great reviews of the F4 here. I've never tried it before but now my shop got some wheels. The options are kind of limited and i am in between tablets 52 99 and classics 54 99. I skate only street and don't know what would be best. They also have conicals full 52 but in the 101. Can you give any suggestions what would feel better on the asphalt and would last longer? Greetings!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3487 on: May 31, 2021, 01:34:36 AM »
Aight gods Im stuck in a decision. Im rocking the Tablets right now and they are getting really worn down. I fucking love these love the lock-in for transition skating and love the fact that the slide is so controlled. Was wondering is there much of a difference between the Tablets and the Radial and Conical Full shapes? Was just seeing some really cool options in those two shapes that are tempting me to change.
Hi, there! I read great reviews of the F4 here. I've never tried it before but now my shop got some wheels. The options are kind of limited and i am in between tablets 52 99 and classics 54 99. I skate only street and don't know what would be best. They also have conicals full 52 but in the 101. Can you give any suggestions what would feel better on the asphalt and would last longer? Greetings!

Tablets are a very skinny wheel with a very sharp edge, so will lock in more and have a lot more truck contact.

Conical full are a very wide wheel, so less truck width between wheels, with a slightly rounded edge but still lock in.

Radials are a medium width wheel, so pretty much in between the first two, with a wide surface area but still a moderately rounded edge, so about the medium ground.

Just for comparison, Classics are a medium width wheel across the widest point around the bearing seat, with a very rounded edge and minimal surface contact.

Some people say rounder wheels are easier to slide, flip and wear more evenly, but others I know prefer the wider profiles and sharper edges to lock in on rails and ledges more than anything else.

With regard to 99 or 101, I feel like 99s are always a more well balanced and an all rounder for duro than 101, especially if you are going to skate rougher surfaces, vs 101 on smoother faster surfaces.

@El Freegano I would be taking the 54mm classic 99s as they are a bit bigger so will last longer and skate more easily on rough roads, but that is just me.

The choice is yours...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:41:22 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3488 on: May 31, 2021, 03:33:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Tablets are a very skinny wheel with a very sharp edge, so will lock in more and have a lot more truck contact.

Conical full are a very wide wheel, so less truck width between wheels, with a slightly rounded edge but still lock in.

Radials are a medium width wheel, so pretty much in between the first two, with a wide surface area but still a moderately rounded edge, so about the medium ground.

Just for comparison, Classics are a medium width wheel across the widest point around the bearing seat, with a very rounded edge and minimal surface contact.

Some people say rounder wheels are easier to slide, flip and wear more evenly, but others I know prefer the wider profiles and sharper edges to lock in on rails and ledges more than anything else.

With regard to 99 or 101, I feel like 99s are always a more well balanced and an all rounder for duro than 101, especially if you are going to skate rougher surfaces, vs 101 on smoother faster surfaces.

@El Freegano I would be taking the 54mm classic 99s as they are a bit bigger so will last longer and skate more easily on rough roads, but that is just me.

The choice is yours...

Thanx for the good info. I am getting the classics. First i thought they are gonna bi big for me,  coz i prefert 52 diameter, but F4 are pricey wheels so it is better riding them longer. Greetings!

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #3489 on: May 31, 2021, 06:32:19 AM »
You made the right choice, enjoy!
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #3490 on: May 31, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

The choice is yours...
@Mbrimson88 Thanks dude! After years of skating Classic shapes the wider wheels with sharper edges are my new drug. Which would you say is a better option for locking in and having good stability when bombing hills? Og Classics or Conical Fulls? Sorry to be so annoying about this.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3491 on: May 31, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »

@Mbrimson88 Thanks dude! After years of skating Classic shapes the wider wheels with sharper edges are my new drug. Which would you say is a better option for locking in and having good stability when bombing hills? Og Classics or Conical Fulls? Sorry to be so annoying about this.

This has the specs, size width, riding patch info for all the types of wheels, and is definitely a good one to check out:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

In looking at it again, I realise it doesn't have the OG Classic info, but the backing card of a set of wheels posted previously does so I will link that too - cannot find the one I wanted, but this one shows enough when zoomed in.

Depending on what size wheel you are after, the OG Classics are slightly slimmer overall but are way more square looking and have about the same contact patch up to 54mm but then the conical full wheel really gets a lot wider in 55 and up sizes.

Conical full 54mm, 34mm wide with 22mm contact

OG Classics 54mm, 32.5mm wide with 22mm contact

Conical full 56mm, 36mm wide with 25mm contact

OG Classic 56mm, 33.5mm wide with 23mm contact

From that, it definitely changes it up depending on wheel sizes, but the OG Classics are a much more squared off shape than the conical full and would still do everything you wanted, so it is just down to availability and sidewall preference.

OG Classics in F4 are out in 52, 53 and 55mm but not much else, and Conical Full are more available in 53 or 54, minimal 56 around but there are some if you look hard enough, but they are starting to get big.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3492 on: June 01, 2021, 07:41:46 AM »
what exactly is the difference between conical and og classic? is it basically double conical vs single conical?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3493 on: June 01, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
mbrimson88 ive suggested this before but a youtube channel with this kind of nerdery would be up my alley. Ben Degros needs competition.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #3494 on: June 01, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »

Nice that's my pic and I'm riding those 56 classic fulls now and really like them.

Comparing them to the 56mm radials I had before, these are similar but don't lock in as well of course. I think the radial is the best all-around shape spitfire makes. If you want more lock in, go for conicals. If you want less, go for classics. Both classic and conical are offered in full varities if you want a wider wheel, but classic fulls are rarely produced.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3495 on: June 02, 2021, 06:24:22 AM »
mbrimson88 ive suggested this before but a youtube channel with this kind of nerdery would be up my alley. Ben Degros needs competition.
Couldn't agree more.
But to not lose before starting you need to say ASPHALT like him.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3496 on: June 02, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »

Nice that's my pic and I'm riding those 56 classic fulls now and really like them.

Comparing them to the 56mm radials I had before, these are similar but don't lock in as well of course. I think the radial is the best all-around shape spitfire makes. If you want more lock in, go for conicals. If you want less, go for classics. Both classic and conical are offered in full varities if you want a wider wheel, but classic fulls are rarely produced.

Thanks again for posting that!  :)

Classic Full is my favourite shape and I might have enough to last me for the rest of my life and then some, but I have also been skating quite a few different wheels, including a lot of machined down second hand ones.

Expand Quote
[close]
Couldn't agree more.
But to not lose before starting you need to say ASPHALT like him.

As much as it would be fun to do, I like NOT talking a whole lot more than anything, even though I probably talk way too much when in the shop and helping people.

Being able to post pics and text is a bit more comfortable really, video how to only when really needed, but I think I will stick to typing and taking pics.

what exactly is the difference between conical and og classic? is it basically double conical vs single conical?

OG Classics are almost a square edge when I look at the ones I have, a tiny bit of rounding and stay flat down the side of the wheel a bit, then go in towards the bearing in a more gentle way than Conical full wheels.

Conical wheels (normal conical and conical full) have a slightly wider rounded edge that comes to a sharper point or line round the wheel and then tapers in to the bearing.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3497 on: June 02, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »
I got it together and took some pics of the most recent packaging I have, posted it on Instagram and this is the text I put on it, so you don't have to go into it to see.  * Sorry it is a bit long.

Spitfire Wheels

The size and spec chart on the packaging of the wheels is so small I can hardly see it, along with not wearing my glasses much, but it helps to take pics of them all individually for comparison. The other thing with this particular version is the wheel shape is very visible too, which makes it a lot easier when trying to describe the wheel shapes, even if there seems like almost no difference in a few of them.

Some people would say they all feel quite different to ride and have specific properties for specific types of skating, which I find to be fairly accurate. Rounder edges will get on and off coping more easily whereas sharper edges or flat faces on the wheels will lock you in more on coping or rails, ledges, etc. Thinner wheels will have less grip on surfaces whereas wider wheels will have more grip on surfaces, be it the side of or top of a ledge, the ground, or ramps or skateparks.

Not included are Classic Full / Bighead shape, Classic Slim, or some of those other OG or Lifer shapes that came out a while back, but these represent all the current shapes and sizes for the Formula Four range.

Each has the name of the shape, a brief description, then the size (diameter), the width at the widest point and the riding surface which is the part that touches the ground.

In order of wheel shape pics:

Classic
Radials
Radial Slims
Tablets
Lock Ins
Conical
Conical Full
OG Classics

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3498 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
^That's some good info right there. Thanks for posting it.

After trying several different shapes and sizes of the Formula Four, I'm enjoying the 54mm Classic 99 duro the most. They feel like a smaller wheel with the pop of a bigger wheel. They are lightweight for the size but still heavier than a 52mm.

The narrow contact patch makes the wheels responsive during slides and helps turning even with tight trucks. But as the contact patch wears down, it seems like it will get bigger because of the shape.

Does anyone have a picture of their F4 classics worn down a bunch into a small, wide wheel?

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3499 on: June 02, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »
Here are some 53mm Classics worn to 46-47mm. On a 9” board with Ace 55s. They get so good once they’re under 50mm. I thought i had some up close pics of the wheels but just the whole set-up, but it gives some scale.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3500 on: June 02, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
Classics wear down so good. I love the amount they get wider as they get smaller. It just works proportionally so well. I've had 58s I wore down to about 49s in the past.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3501 on: June 02, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
I have a set of 53s that I retired at 49. You guys are making me want to put them back on. Selling me on giving the classics another try for sure (been on a Tablet & CF kick forever).

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3502 on: June 02, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »

After trying several different shapes and sizes of the Formula Four, I'm enjoying the 54mm Classic 99 duro the most. They feel like a smaller wheel with the pop of a bigger wheel. They are lightweight for the size but still heavier than a 52mm.

The narrow contact patch makes the wheels responsive during slides and helps turning even with tight trucks. But as the contact patch wears down, it seems like it will get bigger because of the shape.

Does anyone have a picture of their F4 classics worn down a bunch into a small, wide wheel?

These 53mm are now around 49/50mm.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3503 on: June 02, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »

Ha yeah, probably too many pics, but it is easier to link old posts:

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3504 on: June 03, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »
Damn, all these pics make me want to ride my F4 classics until they're worn down that much.

What is that measuring tool called in that first picture?

skateviewer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3505 on: June 03, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »
Damn, all these pics make me want to ride my F4 classics until they're worn down that much.

calipers

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #3506 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

calipers
And if you want to go the extra nerd mile get a digital one.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3507 on: June 04, 2021, 11:36:57 PM »
Alright, impulse-bought a set of F4 56mm Conical Fulls. Been extremely happy with my switch to F4 54mm Tablets from Bones SPF as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. However, I have this hunch that I’ll like super wide F4s even more. It’s been ages since I used a wheel larger than 54mm so that will be interesting, too.

EDIT

First session with these new wheels was interesting. As with my Tablets before, I am impressed with how good 99A F4s feel right from the start. They grip and slide in a controlled way even before they get a bit of a texture.

Even though my setup felt quite different with the 56mm Conical Fulls at first (Tablets were down to barely 52mm), I didn't have much trouble getting a good pop out of it. The increased angle might even work in my favor.

Speed and control with these large, wide wheels are insane. Like riding on a rail track, but with the ability to break out and adjust when needed. If that makes sense. The difference on rough ground is astonishing.

Feels like my setup (Gonz 9.81, 169 Indys) has really come together with these wheels, however I am not sure if I can really get myself to flip it. The weight and size has gotten to a point where it's just really painful to miss a flick and hit your ankles.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:58:42 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3508 on: June 23, 2021, 03:16:02 AM »
Im looking to size down for my next set, found the radial slims but unfortunately they were 101a. I like how the 99s are still manageable on asphalt and think id like to stay with that. Anyone went from 99s to 101 and stayed?

I wrote down the dimensions of the wheels the shop have and they're pretty similar. Anyone know if ones is lighter than the other?

radial slims 52mm   W29.5 18

conical 52mm W31.5 19.5

OG classic 52mm W31 21.5

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3509 on: June 23, 2021, 06:58:01 AM »
Im looking to size down for my next set, found the radial slims but unfortunately they were 101a. I like how the 99s are still manageable on asphalt and think id like to stay with that. Anyone went from 99s to 101 and stayed?

I wrote down the dimensions of the wheels the shop have and they're pretty similar. Anyone know if ones is lighter than the other?

radial slims 52mm   W29.5 18

conical 52mm W31.5 19.5

OG classic 52mm W31 21.5

The 99s are just perfect overall, (and just perform so much more evenly than 101s) so that is what I would be sticking to.

As for Conical vs OG Classic, they are almost the same wheel, only the OG is a little thinner and more boxy than the Conical, so either or would be fine, maybe more so the OG if you wanted something closer to Radial Slim shape, but there is almost nothing in it.