Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689440 times)

YMCMB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4590 on: December 20, 2022, 10:32:35 AM »
I learned front crooks on tablets so I'll always love them.
Ultra locked in. And I also love the way flip tricks feel with them, feels like an inbetween of a wide wheel and a v3 shape I'd say
Tablets should be kept, lock ins can go.
Why have a wheel you can't benefit from rotating?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4591 on: December 20, 2022, 10:44:16 AM »
Tablets are (for the) sick because you have max riding surface per wheel width ratio. Although OG classic do that also but with more of a sidecut to reduce weight and friction (nothing I notice). In some sizes there is very little difference between OG classic and  tablet dimensions.

Classics have a beautiful radius whereby as they wear down they the proportion to which theyriding surface increases is just beautiful to look at and use.

All to say I like Classics for the way they wear and OG classics for max use of wheel width, durability, and smashing crust.

the F4 99a is far superior to any other duro.

If I could only have one wheel for the rest of my life it would be a 55mm Classic wide 99a F4.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4592 on: December 20, 2022, 12:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Ultra locked in. And I also love the way flip tricks feel with them, feels like an inbetween of a wide wheel and a v3 shape I'd say
[close]

Who has EVER rotated their fucking lock ins for a spot??? PRESENT THEM TO ME

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4593 on: December 20, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I really like the regular Conical wheels. That cut sides are great for grinds I feel. If we could regularly get 99a Radial Slims, that would be great.

Radials, OG Classics and Lock-Ins feel a bit too clunky for me personally but i haven't tried Conical Fulls yet.

Tablets look rad, but they don't work for me and I find they drag a bit on grinds. I could do without them.

Classics feel a bit too round when new, but they are nice when they are worn down 2mm.
[close]

All of this; I honestly feel like I could have written that. Twinsies!

99a Conicals have become my staple spit with the lack of Radial Slims in 99a.

I am glad to hear that. I swear by the 52mm 99a Conicals. Even the colors are awesome. Have you had experiences with Conical Fulls in 52mm? I think that would be the next wheel to try for me, then i had them all at some point.
IG: @flowterspace

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4594 on: December 20, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really like the regular Conical wheels. That cut sides are great for grinds I feel. If we could regularly get 99a Radial Slims, that would be great.

Radials, OG Classics and Lock-Ins feel a bit too clunky for me personally but i haven't tried Conical Fulls yet.

Tablets look rad, but they don't work for me and I find they drag a bit on grinds. I could do without them.

Classics feel a bit too round when new, but they are nice when they are worn down 2mm.
[close]

All of this; I honestly feel like I could have written that. Twinsies!

99a Conicals have become my staple spit with the lack of Radial Slims in 99a.
[close]

I am glad to hear that. I swear by the 52mm 99a Conicals. Even the colors are awesome. Have you had experiences with Conical Fulls in 52mm? I think that would be the next wheel to try for me, then i had them all at some point.

52mm 99 conicals are the perfect wheel.

greenbeans

« Reply #4595 on: December 20, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Fucking hell, those things are massive.
[close]

The 56mm already felt comically large to me. I can only imagine the 60mm.

Expand Quote
random question but if one spitfire model has to disappear forever, which one?
[close]

You trying to start a war in this thread? Lol. I'll bite.

Lock-ins: just skate tablets instead (in theory I'm a fan of these, but the asymmetry sucks once your wheels need to be rotated due to coning)

Radial slim: just skate classics instead (I know these have massive fans, so not these... But radial slim fans, I'm going to need you to explain why you like these better)

Radial full: selfishly because they're too big for me to put on a standard setup (but they make perfect sense for 95-97a cruiser wheels).

haha not starting anything bad

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4596 on: December 20, 2022, 04:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Who has EVER rotated their fucking lock ins for a spot??? PRESENT THEM TO ME

I forget who it was - some spono am dude who had lock ins and skated street (fifty on a big rail) in one clip with them the "normal" way, then had them turned around with the conical full side in when he skated transition in another clip, which makes sense as they would have way better coping contact.

The fact that he even said in reply comments that he turned them around for that made perfect sense - lock in on the street rail, then not so grippy on the coping or something.

Makes me want to go looking now, but I doubt I would find it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4597 on: December 20, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Fucking hell, those things are massive.
[close]

The 56mm already felt comically large to me. I can only imagine the 60mm.

Expand Quote
random question but if one spitfire model has to disappear forever, which one?
[close]

Radial slim: just skate classics instead (I know these have massive fans, so not these... But radial slim fans, I'm going to need you to explain why you like these better)

@FuzzGNU

Radial slim vs Classics

Overall wheel width, Radial slims are slimmer than classics of the same MM (just wider contact patch)
Radial slim have both a rounded lip (getting in/on/out of curbs/coping) and a straight cut profile (locking into ledges/rails).

I find that I roll out of certain grinds much too easily on classics, plus, personally, the rounded golf ball look doesn't appeal to me (EXCEPT when paired with ACEs, I don't know why but that combo is *chefs kiss*; I'm also not a fan of hesh wheels (anything past regular conical seems useless to me, starting from Radials and moving into the fulls).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:32:07 PM by Xen »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4598 on: December 21, 2022, 08:03:18 AM »
if you were to get one spitfire shape in 53mm what would it be?
personally id go with the og classics
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4599 on: December 21, 2022, 09:28:30 AM »

Radial Slims or Conicals

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4600 on: December 21, 2022, 10:07:35 AM »
As a general rule, IMHO, the three most critical/crucial Spitfire wheels are Classics, Radial Slims, and Conicals, with the Radials being a great half-way point between Classics and Conicals. It blows my mind that Spitfire has had such minimal production of the Radial slims in recent times. Serious ball drop. Those things should be in constant production.

As to what to ditch...yeah, lock-ins, mostly because they are not reversible. Moreover, if you want a decent lock-in, go for conicals. Beyond that, Tablets and OG Classics wouldn't be missed by me. The Radial Fulls are...laughable. Full Connies...I can't understand those things for anything other big transition where'd you what some decent traction/big contact patch.

Classics. Radial Slims. Conicals. DLX, focus your production powers there.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4601 on: December 21, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals

As a general rule, IMHO, the three most critical/crucial Spitfire wheels are Classics, Radial Slims, and Conicals, with the Radials being a great half-way point between Classics and Conicals. It blows my mind that Spitfire has had such minimal production of the Radial slims in recent times. Serious ball drop. Those things should be in constant production.

As to what to ditch...yeah, lock-ins, mostly because they are not reversible. Moreover, if you want a decent lock-in, go for conicals. Beyond that, Tablets and OG Classics wouldn't be missed by me. The Radial Fulls are...laughable. Full Connies...I can't understand those things for anything other big transition where'd you what some decent traction/big contact patch.

Honestly, I think I'd add the Classic FULL to that line up, that way the Radial crowd would still have a fat wheel.

Radial slims are such an underrated wheel...wide patch, slim profile, nice lip, straight cut edge...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:28:48 AM by Xen »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4602 on: December 21, 2022, 10:35:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly, I think I'd add the Classic FULL to that line up, that way the Radial crowd would still have a fat wheel.

Radial slims are such an underrated wheel...wide patch, slim profile, nice lip, straight cut edge...
to both of you, why conicals over og classics?
@53mm the only difference is 2mm in contact patch
at first glance at least
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4603 on: December 21, 2022, 10:38:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Rad Slim: Possibly the most underrated wheel in skate history. Generally, I ride Classics, but that is because I know I can always get them. If Rad Slims were available, on the regular, they would probably be my go-to.

Classic Full: Great wheel...but those are even more of an ancient myth now than Rad Slims are.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4604 on: December 21, 2022, 12:52:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Rad Slim: Possibly the most underrated wheel in skate history. Generally, I ride Classics, but that is because I know I can always get them. If Rad Slims were available, on the regular, they would probably be my go-to.

Classic Full: Great wheel...but those are even more of an ancient myth now than Rad Slims are.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
at first glance at least

OGs / Tablets are damn near the same; I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason to pick one over the other.

Conical for their lip by comparison to the other two.

DLX must know what they're doing, as they're only going to pour what sells through/re-ordered right?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4605 on: December 21, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
@Xen

I don't know. I think most skaters probably don't really know or care about shape. Just what they look like and the diameter.

Most skate shops I've been to stock classics, conical full, tablets, and bigheads. So that's what people skate.

Its probably not super easy to understand how demanded all the different shapes are due to that.

It would be interesting if they sold some of the more obscure shapes in MassDrop style batches direct to consumer. I'm sure they would figure out really quickly which obscure shapes are popular or not.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4606 on: December 21, 2022, 01:31:33 PM »
Also, +1 for the Classic Slim =D

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4607 on: December 21, 2022, 08:25:07 PM »

Classic Slims are the skinny technical wheel Spitfire is lacking, but I understand why they skip over a skinny wheel given how unpopular they are. Satori does some comically skinny ones (Vinyl cut) and Bones V3, but that's it.

Radial Slim - 53mm, 99a, shit would be perfect.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

greenbeans

« Reply #4608 on: December 23, 2022, 02:37:38 PM »

also another +1 cuz thats the boss

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4609 on: December 24, 2022, 03:31:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slims or Conicals
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
at first glance at least

I prefer the Conicals because of that little tiny bit more roundness on the edges. They lock in really great on ledges/coping AND feel good for my remaining flip tricks. OG Classics feel a bit more straight cut at the edges and for some reason a little bit more heavy and clunky.

Conicals are like the perfect mix between Regular Classics and Tablets I feel.

But that's all just only my opinion.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4610 on: December 24, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »
Seems like more and more shops carrying Lil Smokies for between $20 and $30 if you do some googling... Def worth trying for that price for all your Nineties Needs.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4611 on: December 24, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
Seems like more and more shops carrying Lil Smokies for between $20 and $30 if you do some googling... Def worth trying for that price for all your Nineties Needs.

does it really make a difference in speed when you are skating on smooth ground? like for example I skate 55+ mm, but if i were to get 50mm smokies and skate a ledge in a tennis court, would it really feel slower compared to skating 55+ on same terrain/obstacle?

Id love to have a 8.25/149 thunder/50mm court setup one day

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4612 on: December 24, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »
On smooth ground small wheels are just as fast as big ones, I ran a set of Lil Smokies down to 44 mm and would have been happy to keep them if it wasn‘t for the crusty spots that were getting cumbersome to navigate. I run 52 mm wheels now and struggle with ghost pop since I am not used to be that high above the ground anymore.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4613 on: December 24, 2022, 03:20:40 PM »
On smooth ground small wheels are just as fast as big ones, I ran a set of Lil Smokies down to 44 mm and would have been happy to keep them if it wasn‘t for the crusty spots that were getting cumbersome to navigate. I run 52 mm wheels now and struggle with ghost pop since I am not used to be that high above the ground anymore.

Thanks for the info, will look into it in the future.

I got over my ghost pop frustration slump by skating the same truck/wheel setup consistently; I found if i stuck to a pair of trucks and wheels for an entire year or so I dont have that problem at all anymore (unless im tired). Idk tho

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4614 on: December 24, 2022, 07:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

does it really make a difference in speed when you are skating on smooth ground? like for example I skate 55+ mm, but if i were to get 50mm smokies and skate a ledge in a tennis court, would it really feel slower compared to skating 55+ on same terrain/obstacle?

I definitely notice it, but it’s more that they don’t carry speed. I got frustrated with the 50mm 99A F4 Classics on my Huffer feeling slow even at the park, so I went to the 101A Lil’ Smokies. The harder wheels are better if they’re that small in my opinion, and I only use them on very nice ground.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4615 on: December 24, 2022, 11:16:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got over my ghost pop frustration slump by skating the same truck/wheel setup consistently; I found if i stuck to a pair of trucks and wheels for an entire year or so I dont have that problem at all anymore (unless im tired). Idk tho

Yes I have been changing a few parameters on my setup lately, bigger wheels, forged hollows instead of hollows, and it has completely messed up my pop. Need to settle down and adjust to it now.

However, I have planned to size down from 8.5 to 8.38 on my next set up so that will take readjusting again.

Ah, the hunt for the goldilocks set up…

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I definitely notice it, but it’s more that they don’t carry speed. I got frustrated with the 50mm 99A F4 Classics on my Huffer feeling slow even at the park, so I went to the 101A Lil’ Smokies. The harder wheels are better if they’re that small in my opinion, and I only use them on very nice ground.

I was surprised how long I managed to keep the Lil Smokies and also ride them in relatively rough spots. I also hadn‘t really noticed how small they had actually gotten in a few months. One day I went to a spot with very rough ground that I couldn‘t skate but a dude with Dragons let me try his board. That made me realise I was limiting my spot choice with the really small wheels.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4616 on: December 25, 2022, 09:12:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes I have been changing a few parameters on my setup lately, bigger wheels, forged hollows instead of hollows, and it has completely messed up my pop. Need to settle down and adjust to it now.

However, I have planned to size down from 8.5 to 8.38 on my next set up so that will take readjusting again.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was surprised how long I managed to keep the Lil Smokies and also ride them in relatively rough spots. I also hadn‘t really noticed how small they had actually gotten in a few months. One day I went to a spot with very rough ground that I couldn‘t skate but a dude with Dragons let me try his board. That made me realise I was limiting my spot choice with the really small wheels.

I’m a lifelong big wheel guy, and I’d say little wheels are slower in general, but: 1) they accelerate quicker so can actually feel faster in cramped quarters ii.  can also feel faster when ground is just slightly rough because they make it seem spicier than it is, so you feel like you’re going faster

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4617 on: December 25, 2022, 09:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m a lifelong big wheel guy, and I’d say little wheels are slower in general, but: 1) they accelerate quicker so can actually feel faster in cramped quarters ii.  can also feel faster when ground is just slightly rough because they make it seem spicier than it is, so you feel like you’re going faster

This.

Small wheels - higher acceleration (feel fast), lower top speed, higher deceleration, rougher ride. More tech and precise with tricks.

Large wheels - slower acceleration (feel slow), higher top speed, lower deceleration, smoother ride. Clunkier tricks.

This means small wheels require less pushes/force to get up to speed for traveling short distance in preparation for a trick BUT you have to push more often and continually reapply force over longer distances. That would make small wheels not as good for "no push lines" as well due to that deceleration.

You also mention small wheels feeling faster on rough ground. That's interesting and I've never thought about that. I totally understand that, though personally I associate that feeling of rough ground with deceleration.

I think you might be describing why some people think Dragons feel sluggish. They're smooth and quieter, and those feelings and sounds are associated with increased speed on hard wheels. The faster you go on a hard wheel, the louder it gets.

I think wheel width also fits into this discussion too. In theory a thinner wheel should be faster, while a wider wheel is more stable and smooth. Obviously thin wheel is also more tech, while wide wheel is clunkier.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4618 on: December 25, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
I dabble with Lil Smokies on 90s inspired set ups on smooth flat and curbs only. They've helped me (re)learn some flip tricks but I am not paying premium price for them and they will likely only last me one deck.

Anything below 52mm is a novelty for that purpose only for me. I'm typically on 54mms and 58mms for big bowls.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4619 on: December 25, 2022, 12:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This.

Small wheels - higher acceleration (feel fast), lower top speed, higher deceleration, rougher ride. More tech and precise with tricks.

Large wheels - slower acceleration (feel slow), higher top speed, lower deceleration, smoother ride. Clunkier tricks.

This means small wheels require less pushes/force to get up to speed for traveling short distance in preparation for a trick BUT you have to push more often and continually reapply force over longer distances. That would make small wheels not as good for "no push lines" as well due to that deceleration.

You also mention small wheels feeling faster on rough ground. That's interesting and I've never thought about that. I totally understand that, though personally I associate that feeling of rough ground with deceleration.

I think you might be describing why some people think Dragons feel sluggish. They're smooth and quieter, and those feelings and sounds are associated with increased speed on hard wheels. The faster you go on a hard wheel, the louder it gets.

I think wheel width also fits into this discussion too. In theory a thinner wheel should be faster, while a wider wheel is more stable and smooth. Obviously thin wheel is also more tech, while wide wheel is clunkier.

I’m talking about ground that is well short of what most would call rough-just past notably smooth. Could even be slippery in some cases, but has enough topography to make a loose setup rattle.