Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689367 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4650 on: January 26, 2023, 01:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
What is like the smallest wheel with the widest riding surface? Something like a Radial in 50mm would be hella cool I think.
[close]
Lil Smokies are available in Concial Full 50mm
https://www.studioskatesupply.com/f4-99-lil-smokies-conical-full-50mm-wheels.html

Lil Smokies seem way better in a 101 than a 99 to me. I think when you start going 50mm and under its better to go hard.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4651 on: January 26, 2023, 03:35:37 PM »
Expand Quote
What is like the smallest wheel with the widest riding surface? Something like a Radial in 50mm would be hella cool I think.
[close]
OG Classics

That was funny, because I thought "Surely not as the OG Classic is not as wide as some wheels" but as per the chart, yes the 52mm is 21.5mm in contact, so you are correct.

Just funny cause to look at them in person, they are not as wide as the Conical Full but have way less rounding on the edges.

As to the initial question, as people have said, Conical Full is being made in 50mm so if you were to get wheels that were as small as possible to start with, that might be the best option.

I like to get wheels of medium to larger size and wear them down, so even older 56mm Classics which are 35mm wide and have almost 30mm of riding surface now are good in that category, but either taking the time to wear them down or doing swaps and trades with people who prefer bigger Classics is a good way to get smaller wider wheels.

If you don't want to wait or have no one to trade with, then you are limited to whatever is available in shops from new.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4652 on: January 28, 2023, 04:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Love my GT OG classics 53mm, my local here in CZ still have them on sale
[close]

53mm at your grown age *giggles*
[close]

What's the age limit on what size wheels? Please respond very quickly as I have some 50mm and 60mms set up right now and I am deep into middle age with very little time to spare.
This cracked a big laugh in here.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4653 on: January 28, 2023, 05:40:01 AM »
Did spitfire stop putting the little sticker with the wheel size on? Homie just got conical full 54mm and all they have is a little sticker on the back with the barcode, wheel info, made in mexico...

Packaging and wheels look perfect otherwise

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4654 on: January 28, 2023, 06:18:16 AM »
@Mbrimson88  I been skating 55 classics and they are maybe 54-53mm now. Love them. Slipped out of crooks with them and so madness made me put on some regular  conicals. My flip tricks seem to have suffered  do you think this is cause the classic rounded shape lets me roll and flick easier or is this just in my head? Is this why you prefer worn classics it’s like a rounded wheel with a wide surface ?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4655 on: January 28, 2023, 07:34:21 AM »
@Mbrimson88  I been skating 55 classics and they are maybe 54-53mm now. Love them. Slipped out of crooks with them and so madness made me put on some regular  conicals. My flip tricks seem to have suffered  do you think this is cause the classic rounded shape lets me roll and flick easier or is this just in my head? Is this why you prefer worn classics it’s like a rounded wheel with a wide surface ?

Worn-down Classics = radials. As to crooks, I find the curved edge of classics to be better for locking into crooks than a pointy edge like Conicals. And yes, rounded edge allows board to destabilize (e.g. flip) sooner than more squared-off wheels. This does a good job of explaining it: https://youtu.be/sbgGwTQHBtY
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4656 on: January 28, 2023, 07:42:10 AM »
Did spitfire stop putting the little sticker with the wheel size on? Homie just got conical full 54mm and all they have is a little sticker on the back with the barcode, wheel info, made in mexico...

Packaging and wheels look perfect otherwise
Those stickers easily fall off. If you check the dlx sku/barcode it should have the size at the end of the name/description, or printed on the actual wheel.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4657 on: January 28, 2023, 10:05:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Worn-down Classics = radials. As to crooks, I find the curved edge of classics to be better for locking into crooks than a pointy edge like Conicals. And yes, rounded edge allows board to destabilize (e.g. flip) sooner than more squared-off wheels. This does a good job of explaining it: https://youtu.be/sbgGwTQHBtY

Thank you for the helpful response. That all makes a lot of sense. I’m gonna throw my classics back on. Gnarred.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4658 on: January 28, 2023, 01:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you for the helpful response. That all makes a lot of sense. I’m gonna throw my classics back on. Gnarred.

Glad to be of help!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4659 on: January 28, 2023, 02:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Worn-down Classics = radials. As to crooks, I find the curved edge of classics to be better for locking into crooks than a pointy edge like Conicals. And yes, rounded edge allows board to destabilize (e.g. flip) sooner than more squared-off wheels. This does a good job of explaining it:
[close]

[close]

Glad to be of help!

Ha yeah, better than anything I could give you.

But for real, Classics once worn down a couple of mm just feel so much better, wider contact area and still more rounded sidewall feel like the best of both worlds to me.

Others say Classics slip out to easily or they can never lock into anything, so they ride Conical Full wheels, so I guess more than anything it is just down to what you are used to and how much you push into things / rely on that wheel edge to stop or keep going, etc.

Compared to any other wheel shape, Classics are still the easiest to get too, which make my choice not so hard, but I have Radials in 53 and 54 from new, as well as a lot of used Conical Full wheels from swaps that I round off the edges a bit and they are nice to ride too, mainly 54mm Conical Fulls now around 50-52mm but I still love the feeling of new 56 Classic or Classic Full wheels on park and transition more than anything - just set up some more recently and although they feel too big for smaller tech stuff, they just work for everything else.

switchfakie

« Reply #4660 on: January 28, 2023, 02:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Worn-down Classics = radials. As to crooks, I find the curved edge of classics to be better for locking into crooks than a pointy edge like Conicals. And yes, rounded edge allows board to destabilize (e.g. flip) sooner than more squared-off wheels. This does a good job of explaining it:
[close]

[close]

Glad to be of help!
[close]

But for real, Classics once worn down a couple of mm just feel so much better, wider contact area and still more rounded sidewall feel like the best of both worlds to me.

Others say Classics slip out to easily or they can never lock into anything, so they ride Conical Full wheels, so I guess more than anything it is just down to what you are used to and how much you push into things / rely on that wheel edge to stop or keep going, etc.

Compared to any other wheel shape, Classics are still the easiest to get too, which make my choice not so hard, but I have Radials in 53 and 54 from new, as well as a lot of used Conical Full wheels from swaps that I round off the edges a bit and they are nice to ride too, mainly 54mm Conical Fulls now around 50-52mm but I still love the feeling of new 56 Classic or Classic Full wheels on park and transition more than anything - just set up some more recently and although they feel too big for smaller tech stuff, they just work for everything else.

at that point just get the radial slims

they're slim like the classics, but out the box have a wider contact patch

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4661 on: January 28, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Glad to be of help!
[close]

[close]

Radial Slims and Classic Fulls were rad. Wish they were both regularly available again in the assorted standard sizes. Nice to dream.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4662 on: January 28, 2023, 04:31:22 PM »

I get that some people like the profile of Radial Slims and I have had sets, still got one set actually, but I prefer wider wheels in general, about 35mm+ wide is just right, but 34mm is ok too on the Conical Fulls, with 33 and under feeling too narrow.

Used to always ride the 57mm and 59mm bighead shapes (same as the Classic Full shape now) which are between 36 and 39mm wide, wearing some of them down to 50mm in size and rounding off the edges if they got too sharp, so from that it was a trip to see wheel nuts so clearly on some of the thinner wheels on my smaller setups.

That is my preference, but when I have set up something like lightly used 50mm Tablets, Classics or similar wheels on boards just to see what they were like, I can feel the difference and understand why people want small narrow and much lighter wheels for their normal boards.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #4663 on: January 31, 2023, 05:50:54 AM »
is there a huge difference in the feel of a f4 101 wheel vs a f4 99 wheel? i don't know when i'll be able to get 99s but we have some 101s in the shop and i've never had those. do they feel much worse on rough ground? the difference between the 97s and 99s was noticeable, are the 101s that much harder? and how's the slide?

this has probably been answered multiple times but tbf i don't wanna scroll through 150+ pages so maybe someone here would be able to sum it up for me. thanks :*
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4664 on: January 31, 2023, 06:15:06 AM »
is there a huge difference in the feel of a f4 101 wheel vs a f4 99 wheel? i don't know when i'll be able to get 99s but we have some 101s in the shop and i've never had those. do they feel much worse on rough ground? the difference between the 97s and 99s was noticeable, are the 101s that much harder? and how's the slide?

this has probably been answered multiple times but tbf i don't wanna scroll through 150+ pages so maybe someone here would be able to sum it up for me. thanks :*

IMHO, yes. 101, noticeably faster on park/perfect type terrain, yet very chattery on rougher stuff. 99, good all purpose. Slower on smooth stuff. 97, good for crust. Slow and sticky elsewhere. There is no wheel perfect for all terrain.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4665 on: January 31, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »
What is the real difference between standard and formula four ?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4666 on: January 31, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
What is the real difference between standard and formula four ?

Akin to the difference between lightning and a lightening bug. Only by F4. Repeat, only by F4.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4667 on: January 31, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
standards are super white, have the tread when new, slower, don't slide as good. your classic skateboard wheel you probably remember as a kid

f4s are egg white to potato colored, no tread, I think they're faster and smoother in 99 on the same ground, slide great, amazing wheels.

also standards imo it's hard to get the bearings in and out. f4s I never had that problem.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4668 on: January 31, 2023, 10:27:35 AM »
standards are super white, have the tread when new, slower, don't slide as good. your classic skateboard wheel you probably remember as a kid

f4s are egg white to potato colored, no tread, I think they're faster and smoother in 99 on the same ground, slide great, amazing wheels.

also standards imo it's hard to get the bearings in and out. f4s I never had that problem.

Forget the most important part. Regulars flat spot if you think about doing a power slide. F4s won’t flat spot, even if you try to flat spot them by doing lots of power slides.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4669 on: January 31, 2023, 10:29:45 AM »
so then worn down conical full = tablets ?
ONTARIO CANADA

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4670 on: January 31, 2023, 03:06:51 PM »
so then worn down conical full = tablets ?

Tablets have a flat wall on both sides from start to finish.

Almost all other wheels have some curving, in or out from the bearing to the edge of the wheel.

Most when worn down do develop a sharper squared off edge, which for Conical Full is very pronounced and can catch more on things, which is why I like to round them off when they are worn down a bit.

I get where your line of thinking is going though.

OG Classic is another one that once worn past the slight rounded edge, goes very sharp and squared, but like Conical Full, it still cuts away down to the bearing seat.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4671 on: January 31, 2023, 03:13:25 PM »
I’d say it’s worthwhile to try the standard formula if you’re curious, just know what you’re getting into. I’ve been skating 57mm bigheads for a while and I love them. They’ve worn down beautifully, big fan of the shape. Yes they flatspot, but I like the feedback you get when you’ve gotta ride out a little flatspot. There’s definitely some nostalgia involved, thats a feeling I hadn’t experienced in so long and it kinda makes me happy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4672 on: January 31, 2023, 03:13:56 PM »

In general there seems like there is a stable feeling of 99s no matter how many sets I have had, but between different sets of 101, some were more grippy and some were more slippery, so I don't quite know what was going on there.

The last few sets of the 101 Formula Four wheels I have skated from various trade backs or even one set from new did feel more on the harder, slightly slipperier side, but still very little difference in one step up from 99, compared to half a dozen steps down to the 97s, if that makes sense.

Given you have access to 101s and no 99s, I would say get a set and see how you go.

Curious to hear what you think of them too, but I don't think you would be disappointed in them, compared to getting a lesser quality / brand wheel and then wishing you had set up any other Formula Four option if you could have.

IMHO, yes. 101, noticeably faster on park/perfect type terrain, yet very chattery on rougher stuff. 99, good all purpose. Slower on smooth stuff. 97, good for crust. Slow and sticky elsewhere. There is no wheel perfect for all terrain.

Meant to add, yes I agree with all this too.

Well said.

That's why I have multiple setups all pretty much the same with different wheel duros, but sometimes it can be a bit more funny more than functional.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4673 on: January 31, 2023, 03:25:06 PM »
That's why I have multiple setups all pretty much the same with different wheel duros, but sometimes it can be a bit more funny more than functional.

I sort of do. I have different hardness wheels on different hangers. Depending on where I am skating, I'll just swap out the hanger (takes seconds to do). Yeah, it's kind of OCD, but I can get a smooth/fast ride on a metal mini ramp with 101s, and then head over to a crusty barrier with 97a, and get the best of both worlds. That said, the vast majority of the time I am riding with the 99s.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4674 on: January 31, 2023, 06:32:20 PM »
I’d say it’s worthwhile to try the standard formula if you’re curious, just know what you’re getting into. I’ve been skating 57mm bigheads for a while and I love them. They’ve worn down beautifully, big fan of the shape. Yes they flatspot, but I like the feedback you get when you’ve gotta ride out a little flatspot. There’s definitely some nostalgia involved, thats a feeling I hadn’t experienced in so long and it kinda makes me happy.

They aren't terrible but don't handle crust as well as the F4 99a. I'm riding SML's AG formula which is supposed to be similar to the Classic formula, very decent wheels I could ride till they got too small (50mm).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4675 on: January 31, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »
Spitfire website is showing wheel sizes that aren't available this season.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Hoping this availability isn't permanent.

chris.

« Reply #4676 on: January 31, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They aren't terrible but don't handle crust as well as the F4 99a. I'm riding SML's AG formula which is supposed to be similar to the Classic formula, very decent wheels I could ride till they got too small (50mm).

Maybe it’s the bigger size, but I’m happy with how mine handle crust. I’m really long forward to trying some AG formula soon. There’s some Mike Arnold swirl wheels I’ve been eying.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4677 on: January 31, 2023, 07:05:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe it’s the bigger size, but I’m happy with how mine handle crust. I’m really long forward to trying some AG formula soon. There’s some Mike Arnold swirl wheels I’ve been eying.

I'm riding the 53mm OG Wide / AG formula, next set I'll try is the OG Formula, their version of the 101a much whiter like Bones
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chris.

« Reply #4678 on: January 31, 2023, 07:50:12 PM »
I’ve got some OGs. Grippy and they last forever. They’re what got me on my non-F4 kick to begin with. Good wheels for sure.

All this being said, I did catch myself thinking about how nice some fresh 53mm 99 classics would be the other week.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #4679 on: January 31, 2023, 07:58:12 PM »
does the og spitfire formula hold a candle to F4s or newer bones wheels at all? it's been like 15 years since i've ridden them.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?