Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689341 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4680 on: January 31, 2023, 08:04:39 PM »
does the og spitfire formula hold a candle to F4s or newer bones wheels at all? it's been like 15 years since i've ridden them.

Depends on what you are doing? Big heads are still very popular.

F4s slide better, last longer, come in more shapes, and are harder to flatspot; the exact opposite of the OG classic formula (F1)

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #4681 on: January 31, 2023, 08:06:52 PM »
Spitfire website is showing wheel sizes that aren't available this season.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Hoping this availability isn't permanent.

this drop sucks for folks who skate anything above 56mm

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #4682 on: January 31, 2023, 09:27:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of the wheels have a 58, other than the Lock-Ins with 57 being the maximum while Classics go up to 60. The font for 58 is nearly the same color as the background.

Edit:

I’m down to try the Radial Full shape.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:40:05 PM by Pasta Monster »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4683 on: January 31, 2023, 10:57:42 PM »

The catalog makes me feel like I haven't completed enough skate side missions to unlock new graphics and wheel sizes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #4684 on: January 31, 2023, 11:33:25 PM »
I wonder if spitfire riders just aren't going above 56 very often and it's not worth it to produce them
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4685 on: February 01, 2023, 08:03:00 AM »
I wonder if spitfire riders just aren't going above 56 very often and it's not worth it to produce them

it's not about riders. It's about customers

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #4686 on: February 01, 2023, 08:32:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Most of the wheels have a 58, other than the Lock-Ins with 57 being the maximum while Classics go up to 60. The font for 58 is nearly the same color as the background.

Edit:

58mm classics weren't included in preorder forms, the blacked out numbers mean that they're not in this drop for some reason.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #4687 on: February 01, 2023, 09:04:44 AM »
Does no one skate 50 or 51 mm anymore??!!!!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4688 on: February 01, 2023, 09:21:06 AM »
50 gang here! They've been producing 50mm wheels as part of the lil smokies line (which are blemish re-grinds/pricepoints) but for some reason they don't include them in the catalog (presumably because the supply chain is unpredictable)

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4689 on: February 01, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
50 gang here! They've been producing 50mm wheels as part of the lil smokies line (which are blemish re-grinds/pricepoints) but for some reason they don't include them in the catalog (presumably because the supply chain is unpredictable)
if i had excess cash to blow, i'd only skate 51mm tbh. for longevity purposes, it just makes more sense to ride 52-53

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4690 on: February 01, 2023, 09:28:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
if i had excess cash to blow, i'd only skate 51mm tbh. for longevity purposes, it just makes more sense to ride 52-53

Just bought me some 50mm smokies in the classic shape. Gonna go great on my throwback flipstick I'm putting together.

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #4691 on: February 01, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Edit:

[close]

58mm classics weren't included in preorder forms, the blacked out numbers mean that they're not in this drop for some reason.
Ah, good to know. I’m glad I stocked up around NYE, but may try to scoop up some of the bigger sizes for summertime, while they’re still in shops.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #4692 on: February 01, 2023, 01:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's not about riders. It's about customers

That's what I meant haha. Maybe bones just has the vert and boomer market who want 58mm+ wheels covered
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4693 on: February 01, 2023, 01:48:33 PM »
I went out after work to buy a set of 54mm 97 CFs (which I got) and impulse bought a set of 56mm 80HD CFs. I’ve never actually seen a set in person and they looked awesome. I’m a sucker I know.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4694 on: February 01, 2023, 09:28:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone pointed this out yet, but when the spring drop came out, numerous sizes were blacked-out. Most of us assumed that meant those sizes were NOT available. Now, however, there are no blacked-out sizes on their web page--they are all white.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4695 on: February 01, 2023, 10:50:22 PM »
I need some juicy 51mm radial slims, come on...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #4696 on: February 02, 2023, 08:15:51 AM »
I went out after work to buy a set of 54mm 97 CFs (which I got) and impulse bought a set of 56mm 80HD CFs. I’ve never actually seen a set in person and they looked awesome. I’m a sucker I know.

That's funny. I got sucked into an 80HD impulse buy recently, also. I have't tried them yet but I got the 56mm Classic fulls. They do indeed look great.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #4697 on: February 02, 2023, 08:24:30 AM »
Maaaaaan need the f4 og classics to come back i dont like the normal classic shape as much

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #4698 on: February 02, 2023, 08:43:41 AM »
Maaaaaan need the f4 og classics to come back i dont like the normal classic shape as much

What size do you like?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4699 on: February 02, 2023, 09:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What size do you like?

Im looking for 58 ideally

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4700 on: February 02, 2023, 10:08:41 AM »
Not sure if anyone pointed this out yet, but when the spring drop came out, numerous sizes were blacked-out. Most of us assumed that meant those sizes were NOT available. Now, however, there are no blacked-out sizes on their web page--they are all white.

Strange, I guess there was some miscommunication behind the scenes. >56mm users rejoice!

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #4701 on: February 02, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Strange, I guess there was some miscommunication behind the scenes. >56mm users rejoice!

i work at a shop and like i said they didn’t include the blacked out sizes in the pre-order form. i really hope that they will be available because 58mm classics are my favorite wheels but we weren’t able to order those.

still most of you guys live in the states so there’s a ton of online shops that you could check out but in poland it’s been hard to find f4s over 54mm anywhere since november, and i really took my time to look for them. i had to skate pig wheels ffs. they weren’t that bad but they were no f4s.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4702 on: February 02, 2023, 11:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What size do you like?
[close]

because of this i just looked for them and found some, same price as the usual og formula so we'll se if it was a typo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4703 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i work at a shop and like i said they didn’t include the blacked out sizes in the pre-order form. i really hope that they will be available because 58mm classics are my favorite wheels but we weren’t able to order those.

still most of you guys live in the states so there’s a ton of online shops that you could check out but in poland it’s been hard to find f4s over 54mm anywhere since november, and i really took my time to look for them. i had to skate pig wheels ffs. they weren’t that bad but they were no f4s.

I get the impression we are coming up on shortages again in quite a few sizes and shapes with the Formula Four wheels, or they could be concentrating right now on only getting out the most common sizes and shapes, with a few other thrown in the mix, eg pro one off Conical Full 60mm for Austin Kanfoush or similar.

There seem like some more bigger wheels on the horizon too, but wait and see for those.

They may have had too much confusion or too many negative comments from the blacked out options, so it is easier just to post the full list of wheels with all sizes, so people can see, but not necessarily make all those shapes and sizes, with shops only getting the options of what is available, but even then, it seems like USA gets a lot more in the way of stock and options than other places like EU or AU too.

It seems like the last drop here in AU was pretty minimal, or the shops I usually see get re ups of all the usual stock just didn't get as much or any this time round.  I follow most shops here in AU as well as way too many from US and other places so it is interesting to see sometimes who posts what, with quite a few things not in catalogs still appearing on their websites or on instagram posts.

Just some observations and thoughts, not insider info or anything like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4704 on: February 02, 2023, 09:27:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What size do you like?
[close]

Me too! But I'm in NZ. Good luck! If you find them let me know!

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #4705 on: February 03, 2023, 12:03:46 PM »
wait wtf it also says 57mm and 59mm under the f4 classics. what colours would those be ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4706 on: February 03, 2023, 06:41:01 PM »
wait wtf it also says 57mm and 59mm under the f4 classics. what colours would those be ?

I was wondering what you were talking about, but I see it now.

Looks like they accidently put those extra sizes in there when they only come in the Bighead range, not the Classic range, as the updated catalog does not have 57 and 59mm in the info pic.  Who knows, at some point they might add those extra sizes to that Classic range, so there is the full size range in one lot, keeping it more simple than having the Bighead and Classic ranges overlapping each other.

I guess on face value, don't believe everything you see or read.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2023/

Refresh those images below or open the catalog link above and they should come up with the correct size range for each, but looking at the saved link / pics from this thread, they come up with the other sizes still.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring23/11-sf-sp23-d1-staples-f4-99.jpg

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring23/12-sf-sp23-d1-staples-f4-101.jpg

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4707 on: February 04, 2023, 08:29:59 AM »
So is pretty much the only difference between radials and conicals the cut on the inside?  Mostly just weight reduction then?  If so what is the appeal of radials?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4708 on: February 04, 2023, 08:38:45 AM »
So is pretty much the only difference between radials and conicals the cut on the inside?  Mostly just weight reduction then?  If so what is the appeal of radials?

More like what's the appeal of conicals? Radials are "half-way" between Classics and Conicals. The curve cut allows the board to flip faster (than conicals), and lock-in to some type of grinds better (smith/feeble, etc.) because you don't have a sharp edge to contend with. Moreover, the straighter part of the Radial cut allows you to lock-in to things like 50-50s better than classics (and more like a conical). Watch that Ben De Gros link post a bit back in this thread on the differences between straight cut (conicals) and rounded (classics) wheels. A radial is right in the middle.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:09:57 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4709 on: February 04, 2023, 08:42:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More like what's the appeal of conicals? Radials are "half-way" between Classics and Radials. The curve cut allows the board to flip faster (thab conicals), and lock-in to some type of grinds better (smith/feeble, etc.) because you don't have a sharp edge to contend with. Moreover, the straighter part of the Radial cut allows you to lock-in to things like 50-50s better than classics (and more like a conical). Watch that Ben De Gros link post a bit back in this thread on the differences between straight cut (conicals) and rounded (classics) wheels. A radial is right in the middle.

Oh huh, okay thanks, guess I was just thinking less weight = good lmao