Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689761 times)

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5070 on: May 24, 2023, 07:12:05 AM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.

Its like a pre-worn in classic, perfect wheel

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5071 on: May 24, 2023, 07:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote

This might be my OCD coming thru, but i love how they used a circular graphic on these.
For shapes where the graphic doesnt fully wear off like radials, CF, OGs, non-circular graphics kind of bum me out once the wheels are worn in, makes me less likely to flip the wheel around for even wear
[close]

You are not the only one.

I have taken more than a few graphics off, not just for myself, but also when people wanted a wheel shape, but didn't like the graphic that came on the wheel, so besides turning the graphic in, I had often taken a razor blade and scratched off the graphic, just to keep them happy.

They do look good with the thin round circle close in to the bearings on Formula Four Classics and others that have that sort of graphic, but some of the bigger single graphics I can definitely see they will need to come off for some people I skate with.

Every. Word. Of. This. Post.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5072 on: May 24, 2023, 07:32:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This might be my OCD coming thru, but i love how they used a circular graphic on these.
For shapes where the graphic doesnt fully wear off like radials, CF, OGs, non-circular graphics kind of bum me out once the wheels are worn in, makes me less likely to flip the wheel around for even wear
[close]

I have taken more than a few graphics off, not just for myself, but also when people wanted a wheel shape, but didn't like the graphic that came on the wheel, so besides turning the graphic in, I had often taken a razor blade and scratched off the graphic, just to keep them happy.

They do look good with the thin round circle close in to the bearings on Formula Four Classics and others that have that sort of graphic, but some of the bigger single graphics I can definitely see they will need to come off for some people I skate with.
[close]

Hahahha, yep.

So many bad graphics of great shapes just sit on the shelf and gather dust, or go on sale.

The funniest situation was when someone came in asking for a certain wheel, was not at all a fan of the dude whose name was on them and refused to get them.  I made an excuse to do something and took them out the back, took almost all the graphic off, just leaving a very small logo in the corner, brought them back out and he couldn't get enough of them and wanted me to track down any more sets of them too...

Just wow.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #5073 on: May 24, 2023, 10:07:04 AM »
You just sand the graphic off or what?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5074 on: May 24, 2023, 10:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fine grit sand paper works too.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5075 on: May 24, 2023, 11:31:17 AM »
Ain’t that the truth. I think it’s a big reason why I like these Lil’ Smokies so much. Simple. Natural. Neutral.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5076 on: May 24, 2023, 06:36:52 PM »
You just sand the graphic off or what?

In the past I have used an angle grinder, grip tape and even just natural concrete while on the board and dragged them across in a certain way that it took the graphic right off.

The easiest way though is a nice new / sharp razor blade and just scrape, not cut, and it gets all the paint off easily without anything happening to the wheel underneath.

Others use rubbing alcohol or similar product, acetone or whatever it is, like nail polish remover, which also works well.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5077 on: May 24, 2023, 07:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahahha, yep.

So many bad graphics of great shapes just sit on the shelf and gather dust, or go on sale.

The funniest situation was when someone came in asking for a certain wheel, was not at all a fan of the dude whose name was on them and refused to get them.  I made an excuse to do something and took them out the back, took almost all the graphic off, just leaving a very small logo in the corner, brought them back out and he couldn't get enough of them and wanted me to track down any more sets of them too...

Just wow.
whos name was it?
i just gotta know at this point :o
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5078 on: May 24, 2023, 09:22:45 PM »
Got this email the other day. Fun little Spitfire x Palace run of F4 Conical Fulls with a nice take on the Classic graphic.

Thumbnails appear to be:

Blue / 51mm
Red / 52mm
Yellow / 53mm
Green / 54mm

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:52:36 PM by intendedreceivers »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5079 on: May 24, 2023, 09:27:12 PM »
Got this email the other day. Nice little Spitfire x Palace run of F4 Conical Fulls with a nice take on the Classic graphic.

Thumbnails appear to be:

Blue / 51mm
Red / 52mm
Yellow / 53mm
Green / 54mm

conical full in a 51 is nice. i like that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5080 on: May 25, 2023, 03:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahahha, yep.

Just wow.
[close]
whos name was it?
i just gotta know at this point :o

It was from a while ago now.

Bones wheels, his name started with a D yet I can't remember the rest...

;)

Just in case that was a bit too obscure, think it was something like this:

https://bones.com/bones-wheels-pro-dyet-turtle-53mm-stf-4-pack

Don't blame them really.  Wheels looked nicer with just the Bones logo on them.

IpathCats

« Reply #5081 on: May 25, 2023, 07:03:11 AM »
was talking to a friend the other day who somehow wasn't aware of F4's (i guess he has just been a bones guy forever or something idk.)

I told him that you couldn't pay me to ride something other than F4's, they're just that good.

Could someone pay YOU to ride something other than f4's?

obviously millions of dollars or something like that would sway most anyone. But within reason, whatever check wheel companies are cutting dudes. Would it change your mind?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5082 on: May 25, 2023, 07:26:22 AM »
was talking to a friend the other day who somehow wasn't aware of F4's (i guess he has just been a bones guy forever or something idk.)

I told him that you couldn't pay me to ride something other than F4's, they're just that good.

Could someone pay YOU to ride something other than f4's?

obviously millions of dollars or something like that would sway most anyone. But within reason, whatever check wheel companies are cutting dudes. Would it change your mind?

I am riding Bones still on my main setup, i actually took the F4s off of here and put them on my other setup (they were too big @ 54mm conical full). I really like how the bones STF slide on curb combos. It is too slippery to skate some spots though.

Bones also offer the X formula, so I think I would be pretty set between those 2 wheels... 

But I think F4 99a works much better as a single wheel across all spots. It works just fine on the curb combos, still has nice slide, but also can hit bank spots that require sharp cuts / turns without sliding out. feel way more confident on them.

I think I am going to replace these STFs with F4 99a Classic Shape though just at a smaller size than what i had on there. hoping I can still get a 51mm. Radials do sound sick but they start at 53mm it looks like.
ONTARIO CANADA

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 105
« Reply #5083 on: May 25, 2023, 10:01:26 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5084 on: May 25, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
There are 52mm radials out there.

https://orchardshop.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-wheels-f4-formula-four-radial-99-52mm

\that would be sick
harder to find in maple syrup land, i dont need to pay that shipping
53 could probably work i just dont want to spend like a year working them in
ONTARIO CANADA

IpathCats

« Reply #5085 on: May 25, 2023, 10:50:54 AM »

\that would be sick

I'm sure if you talked to your local shop owner they would/could order you some from their distributor.

Maybe just see if they'll do it the next time they make a big order to save them on shipping.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5086 on: May 25, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »
Expand Quote

\that would be sick
[close]

I'm sure if you talked to your local shop owner they would/could order you some from their distributor.

Maybe just see if they'll do it the next time they make a big order to save them on shipping.

unfortunately I live in a small town in between London and Toronto and there isnt really any shop besides Zumiez

they do have these though:
https://www.zumiez.com/spitfire-blackout-formula-four-52mm-101d-radial-skateboard-wheels.html

101d ... now i am going into gear madness thread. i was set on 99a but... those could be sick...
not sure if i want black wheels though
ONTARIO CANADA

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5087 on: May 25, 2023, 05:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahahha, yep.

Just wow.

This is my current internal struggle, they needed to be rotated so bad, but i hate how they look. At least theyre only 2 colors..

On the flip side, I really love how classics put the details inside the tinnnny little ridge that doesnt get worn. Its like their dog tags, even when theyre dead you can what they were.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5088 on: May 25, 2023, 11:59:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahahha, yep.

Just wow.
[close]

This is my current internal struggle, they needed to be rotated so bad, but i hate how they look. At least theyre only 2 colors..

On the flip side, I really love how classics put the details inside the tinnnny little ridge that doesnt get worn. Its like their dog tags, even when theyre dead you can what they were.

Classic Formula Four just work so well like that.

Sometimes I wish all the wheels would have just that black text outline, minimal but easy to see what they are from day 1 through til the very end.

Most of the others I have also leave that rim line with the original text more so than any pro versions, be it Classic or Classic Full, Radials, Conical or Conical Full, etc.

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 156
« Reply #5089 on: May 26, 2023, 09:27:27 AM »
Anyone know of any US shops with the Kader Radial Fulls in 59mm or is it too late to snag a set?

[Edit]
Found some as of now:
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire/p/Spitfire-Formula-Four-Kader-Puffs-Radial-Full-99a-x70104029.htm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:17:36 PM by chronicbackpain »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5090 on: May 26, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahahha, yep.

Just wow.
[close]

I feel you man, I should do the same with my GT OG classics but there is no way I'm doing it
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #5091 on: May 27, 2023, 11:26:37 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and ordered some f4 lock ins. Never skated spit but a local-ish shop had them for $35. Fuck it, let’s see

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5092 on: May 27, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and ordered some f4 lock ins. Never skated spit but a local-ish shop had them for $35. Fuck it, let’s see
What have you ridden in the past?

and did what duro lock ins did you get?

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #5093 on: May 27, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What have you ridden in the past?

and did what duro lock ins did you get?

A whole lot of everything else. Slime Balls, Bones, OJ, Mini Logo mainly. To save you the trouble of asking why, I’m just an old stubborn kook. And I got 99a

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5094 on: May 27, 2023, 01:01:19 PM »
Anyone know of any US shops with the Kader Radial Fulls in 59mm or is it too late to snag a set?

[Edit]
Found some as of now:
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire/p/Spitfire-Formula-Four-Kader-Puffs-Radial-Full-99a-x70104029.htm
we sold out. thanks for the love.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5095 on: May 27, 2023, 04:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[Edit]
Found some as of now:
[close]

I could definitely see the 59 mm selling quickly, from showing 3 in stock earlier.

At least there are still half a dozen listed for the 54 mm and 56 mm sizes too, for anyone wanting a not so big but still quite wide wheel.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #5096 on: May 30, 2023, 08:28:39 AM »
Really digging 101 F4s at the moment. Especially with wheels under 54mm. The key is  a wider profile. Conical Full 101 has been money for me at the local curb spot. Asphalt but pretty smooth. I know the trend is toward slightly softer wheels but I think the 101s are a little under rated. Also if you dabble with Lil Smokies, I'd get the 101s. That's all.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #5097 on: May 30, 2023, 11:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.
[close]

Fixed. :)
Honestly I feel regular Conicals are fucking great, and Id dare to say they are the best F4 option?! They have a wide(r) contact patch but are still only a bit wider than a Classic (or atleast feels this way) and you get all the benefits of a square shaped wheel while still looking like a normal wheel (meaning not a huge wide one like CFs)

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5098 on: May 30, 2023, 01:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[Edit]
Found some as of now:
[close]
[close]

I could definitely see the 59 mm selling quickly, from showing 3 in stock earlier.

At least there are still half a dozen listed for the 54 mm and 56 mm sizes too, for anyone wanting a not so big but still quite wide wheel.
We are re stocking the 59's later this week.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5099 on: May 30, 2023, 06:25:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.
[close]

Fixed. :)
[close]
Honestly I feel regular Conicals are fucking great, and Id dare to say they are the best F4 option?! They have a wide(r) contact patch but are still only a bit wider than a Classic (or atleast feels this way) and you get all the benefits of a square shaped wheel while still looking like a normal wheel (meaning not a huge wide one like CFs)

Radial regular or Conical Regular seems to be a thing of the past in Canada. Finding Classic is hard enough...
ONTARIO CANADA