Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 192448 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 26, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »

Is there a better bass line in all of punk/hc? If there is id love to hear it.

WELCOME TO THE HARDSTYLE!

I love siege and I love that track! Subjectively though, there are a few that I like way more. Here’s a few I can think of off the top of my head from different subgenres you might appreciate. There’s some lesser known gems here and some obviously popular tracks (within hardcore).

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:16:47 AM by Freelancevagrant »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Prinzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #1201 on: August 26, 2021, 12:18:34 PM »
that siege track is for sure on the mount rushmore of hardcore basslines

@freelancevagrant posted a few that are also contenders, but wanted to toss a few of my personal favs in the mix

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

charge

• Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1202 on: August 26, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Still working through these but Whoa that conflict song was crazy. Bass line sounds like it would be in like An early pastels song or something. Also, I always thought ceremony sucked…really bad. But that bass tone in that track that was posted was on point. I feel like the wrong bass tone can really fuck everything up in hc. Also never really gave those youth crew type groups much of a chance but that chain of strength song was pretty tight.  Also think I remember Boston strangler being super hyped on the youth attack jerkbooth back when I used to lurk on there. You know. The 4chan of punk.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1203 on: August 26, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »
Still working through these but Whoa that conflict song was crazy. Bass line sounds like it would be in like An early pastels song or something. Also, I always thought ceremony sucked…really bad. But that bass tone in that track that was posted was on point. I feel like the wrong bass tone can really fuck everything up in hc. Also never really gave those youth crew type groups much of a chance but that chain of strength song was pretty tight.  Also think I remember Boston strangler being super hyped on the youth attack jerkbooth back when I used to lurk on there. You know. The 4chan of punk.

Dude, young parasites and their live cover of banned from the UK (also has a NASTY bass line) are two of the most underrated anarcho tracks of all time. They’ve got some wild bass lines I’ll include. Im finally off work and give this the effort it deserves and I went absolutely overboard but I think everyone will enjoy. Dude I haven’t thought about jerkbooth in so long holy shit

Here’s the ones I didn’t have time to post earlier but easily deserve to mentioned as the greats.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:10:34 PM by Freelancevagrant »

animalflesh

« Reply #1204 on: August 26, 2021, 08:25:32 PM »
Best despise you track ever but of course we would pick the same one

This rips

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1205 on: August 27, 2021, 07:52:41 AM »
Always really liked this Despise You track…

There’s the similar hatred surge song “the slithering”  on the deconstruct album, but i can’t find the clearer version i had. I miss that band with Faiza
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: August 27, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »

There’s the similar hatred surge song “the slithering”  on the deconstruct album, but i can’t find the clearer version i had. I miss that band with Faiza

I also love their cover of burning in hell. But I’ve listened all the way through west side horizons Hundreds of times.

Dude faiza is the shit and so nice. She got me and my in to cheer up Charlie’s when body pressure played with GLOSS. She’s in a new darkwave project called flesh of morning that’s super sick.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #1207 on: August 27, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »
new dare is sick, also love Shackled!

I went to a show in Richmond on Sunday: Life of Agony, Downfall, End It, and Naysayer. So much fucking fun, except I got stranded in the city for the night lol. Oh well. End It is for sure my favorite band right now, love that they've been able to tour more this year and get their name out.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1208 on: August 28, 2021, 02:18:59 AM »
How is everyone finding the new Turnstile album?

Prinzy

« Reply #1209 on: August 28, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »

I think it’s sick personally. It’ll take a few more listens for me to really pick out standout tracks, but I did notice most of the singles are the hardest tracks on the album (not including alien love call)

I will say I’m happy it exists. Do I like it more than any of their previous releases? Definitely not. It’s not the Turnstile I fell in love with but that’s okay. I think Turnstile is now THE gateway hardcore band for people, outside the more metal leaning bands like Code Orange and Knocked Loose, and that’s great.

If someone finds this album and loves it, digs into their earlier releases, sees they share members with bands like TUI, Angel Dust, Mindset, etc. the floodgates are then open for them to be fully in love with hardcore, and that’s a wonderful thing to me.

Also T.L.C. is one of the best Turnstile tracks imo, that’s a fucking slapper.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1210 on: August 29, 2021, 06:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it’s sick personally. It’ll take a few more listens for me to really pick out standout tracks, but I did notice most of the singles are the hardest tracks on the album (not including alien love call)

I will say I’m happy it exists. Do I like it more than any of their previous releases? Definitely not. It’s not the Turnstile I fell in love with but that’s okay. I think Turnstile is now THE gateway hardcore band for people, outside the more metal leaning bands like Code Orange and Knocked Loose, and that’s great.

If someone finds this album and loves it, digs into their earlier releases, sees they share members with bands like TUI, Angel Dust, Mindset, etc. the floodgates are then open for them to be fully in love with hardcore, and that’s a wonderful thing to me.

This is exactly what the new Turnstile album has done for me lol, helluva gateway drug. I've always been into heavy music (metal mostly), just never as much hardcore punk until now. Also has me super motivated to play my bass which I've been slack with for a long time.
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

Prinzy

« Reply #1211 on: August 29, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is exactly what the new Turnstile album has done for me lol, helluva gateway drug. I've always been into heavy music (metal mostly), just never as much hardcore punk until now. Also has me super motivated to play my bass which I've been slack with for a long time.

Damn dude I wish I was a Pal cause I’d gnar tf out of you, so stoked on that.

I honestly think right now, there is no better band to get into hardcore with. You listen through their discography and you will hear them pulling from some of the all time greats, from Bad Brains to Leeway to Madball. Accompany that with the aforementioned associated acts, and you have a damn good starting place to hardcore.

Keep us updated on what you find and like, I’m sure tons of homies here have great recommendations for ya

Edit: after a few more listen throughs, found a couple more standout tracks. Don’t Play is up there solely for that incredible breakdown at the end, shit felt straight off Step 2 Rhythm. Also really enjoy Dance Off cause it feels like Turnstile’s take on Humbug-era Arctic Monkeys and I find that weirdly entertaining. Same with New Heart Design being their version of Turnover. Endless might be my least favorite Turnstile track ever tho, so it has its up and downs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:23:19 PM by Prinzy »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2021, 02:03:13 AM »

Been on loop since it dropped, I'm absolutely loving it! And I've been a Turnstile fan since I first heard Step to Rhythm.
I made this comparison between Glown On to Tyler's IGOR yesterday and the more I think about it the more I think it's accurate.
It's a more daring, experimental and fun experience than everything they done until now, but it also feels like a natural progression. It also pisses of the more purist minds, which it's a good sign in my book.
Hot takes: I actually think it's better than Time & Space, which at the time I felt like it was Turnstile loosing the edge. Now they found the edge all over again, by daring to try new things.
Funny thing is that I though Mystery was kinda average when it dropped and wasn't that hyped, but after hearing everything else in the album it just really own me over. It might be my fav record from 2021 yet.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: August 30, 2021, 03:25:13 AM »
Got into turnstile when pressure to succeed came out and saw em in a skatepark with down to nothing in 2011. I fucking loved that ep. With each release I’ve liked em less and less. Granted, other than listening to a record when it first comes out, I haven’t gone out of my way to listen or revisit an album of theirs since step 2 rhythm first came out, so I may be biased about it, but I just don’t like it.

That being said, I’m glad that they are expressing themselves in a manner they see fitting and fully demonstrating their growth as musicians. It’s really cool to see and I wish them nothing but the best and continued success. It just isn’t my cup of tea.

Also, @Prinzy you know I got you fam.

@DiscountCanofTuna I fucking love when people get into hardcore, and i can say as a community, we’re glad to have you man. Feel free to ask for any recommendations or poke around and listen to any of the previously posted tracks and talk about shit you liked or didn’t like!

Welcome to the HARDSTYLE
~~~**warhound intensifies**~~~
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:58:22 AM by Freelancevagrant »

smoothbrain

« Reply #1214 on: August 30, 2021, 03:50:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been on loop since it dropped, I'm absolutely loving it! And I've been a Turnstile fan since I first heard Step to Rhythm.
I made this comparison between Glown On to Tyler's IGOR yesterday and the more I think about it the more I think it's accurate.
It's a more daring, experimental and fun experience than everything they done until now, but it also feels like a natural progression. It also pisses of the more purist minds, which it's a good sign in my book.
Hot takes: I actually think it's better than Time & Space, which at the time I felt like it was Turnstile loosing the edge. Now they found the edge all over again, by daring to try new things.
Funny thing is that I though Mystery was kinda average when it dropped and wasn't that hyped, but after hearing everything else in the album it just really own me over. It might be my fav record from 2021 yet.

Completely agree with you man, theres aspects of this album that really remind me of the first two releases but in a more refined way. Cannot wait until they come to the UK again their live shows are something else and I'd love to see how they perform this with some of their older stuff

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1215 on: August 30, 2021, 05:07:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Completely agree with you man, theres aspects of this album that really remind me of the first two releases but in a more refined way. Cannot wait until they come to the UK again their live shows are something else and I'd love to see how they perform this with some of their older stuff

Yeah man! The Last show I attended before quarantine started was Turnstile with Gag and One Step Closer in Munich. it was madness... There was this chick with a fucking helmet doing stage dives and I thought it was the sickest thing  ;D
I bought tickets to UK's Outbreak Fest next year, which they are playing on too. It's gonna be insaaaaane and I can't wait!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

smoothbrain

« Reply #1216 on: August 30, 2021, 05:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah man! The Last show I attended before quarantine started was Turnstile with Gag and One Step Closer in Munich. it was madness... There was this chick with a fucking helmet doing stage dives and I thought it was the sickest thing  ;D
I bought tickets to UK's Outbreak Fest next year, which they are playing on too. It's gonna be insaaaaane and I can't wait!

Outbreak is such a good event, went back in 2013 the line up back then was so sick, you'll have a great time for sure man

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #1217 on: August 30, 2021, 11:16:13 PM »
I was at their show last night in Oxnard and it was a fucking blast. Right before their set my friend was discounting it based on the influx of less heavy songs on the new album and said the set wouldn’t be as gnarly as Show Me the Body who played before them……..seconds into the first song he’s got his back to the stage and is air guitarring when someone stage dives and he gets kicked in the back of the head/neck.

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1218 on: August 31, 2021, 04:04:32 AM »
Cheers @Prinzy @Freelancevagrant will for sure be keeping tabs on the thread! Aside from the other Turnstile related bands, i've been digging Gulch, Drain and Dare who i think are all from the same scene? Either way they're sick, trying to stack a playlist with some classics and new gear at the moment so I appreciate the recommendations!

2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: August 31, 2021, 04:50:33 AM »
Cheers @Prinzy @Freelancevagrant will for sure be keeping tabs on the thread! Aside from the other Turnstile related bands, i've been digging Gulch, Drain and Dare who i think are all from the same scene? Either way they're sick, trying to stack a playlist with some classics and new gear at the moment so I appreciate the recommendations!

Yeah, gulch and drain share a bunch of members. I’ve voiced my opinions on them earlier on the thread, but I think drain and dare are both on revelation records. Prinzy posted some heat and I posted some tracks from different subgenres of hardcore that I really like. So I’d say go through those and tell us what you like and we can give you more recommendations based off that

@InternetDaddy i just saw that you went to see life of agony and I’m so fucking jealous

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1220 on: September 03, 2021, 05:56:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I also love their cover of burning in hell. But I’ve listened all the way through west side horizons Hundreds of times.

Dude faiza is the shit and so nice. She got me and my in to cheer up Charlie’s when body pressure played with GLOSS. She’s in a new darkwave project called flesh of morning that’s super sick.

For sure! I used to chat with her years ago on AIM (or probably nerded out on her), she would always recommend sooo many sick bands. This was tumblr/ zip folder album days. Good times..

I’ll forever kick myself for not seeing hatred surge OR mindless live. Sooo many chances, too.

Negative Approach in 2018 as well. Granted i had no idea they were coming, ha

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1221 on: September 04, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »
I was at their show last night in Oxnard and it was a fucking blast. Right before their set my friend was discounting it based on the influx of less heavy songs on the new album and said the set wouldn’t be as gnarly as Show Me the Body who played before them……..seconds into the first song he’s got his back to the stage and is air guitarring when someone stage dives and he gets kicked in the back of the head/neck.

I was at the Baltimore charity show, which was their first time playing the new songs live. The new songs definitely fit into their setlist and fucking go live. Certainly feels like a turnstile show you’re used to. Had my 11 year old with me for her first hardcore show, she had a great time.

I’m also going to the Baltimore show on the 16th without the kid so I can get a little wilder not having to look after her. I can’t wait.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #1222 on: September 05, 2021, 09:20:41 AM »
was at the baltimore free show and the garden grove show. new songs are perfect and anyone that doesn’t think so simply just doesn’t “get it”

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1223 on: September 05, 2021, 09:37:05 AM »

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1224 on: September 05, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1225 on: September 05, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »

Old gold

animalflesh

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: September 08, 2021, 07:12:53 AM »
Been really enjoying this.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #1228 on: September 12, 2021, 12:30:50 AM »
Saw Terror, Drain, Dare, One Step Closer, and one other bands I can’t remember. Drain fucking killed it; kids were getting DESTROYED out there. Was a good time. Seeing Scott from Terror, and how old he is, and how old I am, compared to the rest of the show was kind of a bummer though haha.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1229 on: September 13, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
I can't wait to be an old guy at a hardcore show.

My bandmate mentioned to me how we're now 2 years older than the last time we went moshing, and 2 years out-of-practice. The first big mosh back is going to be sore.