Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191211 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #1530 on: November 11, 2022, 07:01:56 PM »
Fuck all the haters acrobatic tenement is a fucking goated album. Guess y’all really wouldn’t stand for any of the above smdh.

https://youtu.be/rFHSYzG6lFE
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1531 on: November 11, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »
Fuck all the haters acrobatic tenement is a fucking goated album. Guess y’all really wouldn’t stand for any of the above smdh.

https://youtu.be/rFHSYzG6lFE

Yeah this song and Initiation are great songs. In fact pretty much everything up to and including Relationship of command is solid, although it's not 'hardcore'. The band members are super lame people though, like when they walked off stage at a show in Sydney beccause the crowd was moshing and not 'dancing'
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1532 on: November 11, 2022, 10:15:14 PM »
I mean they’re a post hardcore band...

I’m not saying that I think they’re the greatest, by any means. But they’re definitely a significant post hardcore band.

But at any rate, Bear vs Shark is about a thousand times better then atdi anyway.

https://youtu.be/lklRd0dIovI

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1533 on: November 13, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »
So what is actually happening in hardcore right now? Who are the big bands? I've always had one foot in the door of the hardcore scene and the other in the door of the punk scene. Favorite bands of the last 10 years were Culo, hank wood and the hammerheads, raw nerve, cult ritual. As a teenager i liked the more straightforward hardcore like american nightmare, champion, modern life is war, carry on.

Anyone got recs of new bands to check out?

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #1534 on: November 14, 2022, 03:14:53 AM »
So what is actually happening in hardcore right now? Who are the big bands? I've always had one foot in the door of the hardcore scene and the other in the door of the punk scene. Favorite bands of the last 10 years were Culo, hank wood and the hammerheads, raw nerve, cult ritual. As a teenager i liked the more straightforward hardcore like american nightmare, champion, modern life is war, carry on.

It's poppin off. Seems like the wave of people wanting to see live music in a post covid world is still at a high. I live in a C-market city and even our most mid shows are seeing numbers not seen in the 22 years i've been going to shows here.

As far as bands, the ones you listed are the style i align with most (damn i miss playing shows with Raw Nerve). I feel like its harder for me to find bands i like right now. I tend to lean to the straight forward hardcore ala Painkiller Records type bands. The 90's influence going on right now has to be the single worst thing thats come back around in Hardcore. Teenagers acting like anyone ever gave a fuck about a dollar bin Current 7" then or now.

As far as things to check out, my best of list for the year includes: The Flex, Skinhead, Warthog, Peace Test, Ammo, Brain Tourniquet, Dead Last, Yambag, Terror, Churchgoers, Raw Breed, Candy Apple, High Vis, Inclination, ICU.

Yet, no one this year topped The Chisel LP from last year tho.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #1535 on: November 14, 2022, 03:47:49 AM »
Recent combust and end it releases are total killers in terms of straight hardcore

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1536 on: November 14, 2022, 09:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's poppin off. Seems like the wave of people wanting to see live music in a post covid world is still at a high. I live in a C-market city and even our most mid shows are seeing numbers not seen in the 22 years i've been going to shows here.

As far as bands, the ones you listed are the style i align with most (damn i miss playing shows with Raw Nerve). I feel like its harder for me to find bands i like right now. I tend to lean to the straight forward hardcore ala Painkiller Records type bands. The 90's influence going on right now has to be the single worst thing thats come back around in Hardcore. Teenagers acting like anyone ever gave a fuck about a dollar bin Current 7" then or now.

As far as things to check out, my best of list for the year includes: The Flex, Skinhead, Warthog, Peace Test, Ammo, Brain Tourniquet, Dead Last, Yambag, Terror, Churchgoers, Raw Breed, Candy Apple, High Vis, Inclination, ICU.

I recognise a bunch from your list like warthog, the flex, and terror obviously.

Dead last are fucking sick. I'd love to hear other new bands doing this style of straightforward 00s hardcore.
Peace test, Brain tourniquet are a bit too powerviolence-ish for my tastes.
Ammo, Yambag, Skinhead were sick. In like 2015 I was of the opinion that the modern hardcore  weirdo punk sound was definitely being played out but it's cool some bands are still bringing a fresh sound to the genre.
Churchgoers, Raw breed, Candy Apple didn't really do it for me.
I appreciate what Inclination are doing, like a modern Earth Crisis, and I would have loved it at a certain point in my younger years. I can tell they would be sick live. I might come back to them again soon because they are actually very sick, but right now they are definitely a band that i would have to be in the right mood for.
I really like High Vis but i couldn't find anything from them that sounded hardcore. Regardless they are great and actually one my favorites from your list
I couldn't find a hardcore band named ICU.

Appreciate the recommendations a lot. Some great bands in there. I gotta try see some of these bands live, it's been a long time since i've been to a hc/punk show.

streetmeat

« Reply #1537 on: November 15, 2022, 03:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I recognise a bunch from your list like warthog, the flex, and terror obviously.

Dead last are fucking sick. I'd love to hear other new bands doing this style of straightforward 00s hardcore.
Ammo, Yambag, Skinhead were sick. In like 2015 I was of the opinion that the modern hardcore  weirdo punk sound was definitely being played out but it's cool some bands are still bringing a fresh sound to the genre.
I appreciate what Inclination are doing, like a modern Earth Crisis, and I would have loved it at a certain point in my younger years. I can tell they would be sick live. I might come back to them again soon because they are actually very sick, but right now they are definitely a band that i would have to be in the right mood for.
I really like High Vis but i couldn't find anything from them that sounded hardcore. Regardless they are great and actually one my favorites from your list

Appreciate the recommendations a lot. Some great bands in there. I gotta try see some of these bands live, it's been a long time since i've been to a hc/punk show.

Interesting, these bands seem to be the closest to the Raw Nerve/Culo style out right now. Convulse Records is basically the new Youth Attack.

ICU is ban from Boston Stranglers new project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8B6hSh2LFg

Other bands off the top of my head you may like: Restraining Order, Gel, Raw Brigade, Grand Scheme (Dane Barker whos pro for Quasi is in this band), Big Laugh.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1538 on: November 15, 2022, 04:47:28 AM »
I didn’t know about convulse records. Holy shit. Thanks streetmeat! So many good releases. Yambag is a standout artist for me - like Los Crudos but on speed. Killer.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1539 on: November 16, 2022, 03:29:49 AM »

Gridiron
Inclination
Magnitude
Queensway

Took some time away from digging in deep,  this thread is gold though. Lots of good cuts.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1540 on: November 16, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting, these bands seem to be the closest to the Raw Nerve/Culo style out right now. Convulse Records is basically the new Youth Attack.

ICU is ban from Boston Stranglers new project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8B6hSh2LFg

Other bands off the top of my head you may like: Restraining Order, Gel, Raw Brigade, Grand Scheme (Dane Barker whos pro for Quasi is in this band), Big Laugh.

Yeah i guess the thing i didn't like about them was they sounded too serious for a hardcore punk band. Which sounds dumb because i loved 00s hardcore and youth attack records, but maybe if I was just listening to raw nerve or aerosols for the first time at my current age i wouldn't be as stoked as i was when i listened to them at 19 or whatever.

ICU are cool but I'm really just happy you reminded me that Boston Strangler existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyZ9GZi2Xg

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1541 on: November 16, 2022, 10:50:54 AM »
Can you guys think of any skate parts with a genuine hardcore song as the soundtrack? I can think of plenty of punk songs used as soundtracks but not straight up hardcore.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1542 on: November 16, 2022, 10:57:33 AM »
Can you guys think of any skate parts with a genuine hardcore song as the soundtrack? I can think of plenty of punk songs used as soundtracks but not straight up hardcore.

There used to be a Gorilla Biscuits cut in an East Coast vid not too long ago. That‘s all I remember about it.

It would be dope if more dudes would skate to classic SxE stuff like Project X, Youth of Today, Earth Crisis, Strife…
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1543 on: November 16, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There used to be a Gorilla Biscuits cut in an East Coast vid not too long ago. That‘s all I remember about it.

It would be dope if more dudes would skate to classic SxE stuff like Project X, Youth of Today, Earth Crisis, Strife…

For sure. I feel like it would be hard to edit a skate part with a song that had a heavy breakdown though haha

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1544 on: November 16, 2022, 11:21:17 AM »

There are a couple of videos featuring Dystopia (e.V. melodie for example), i remember one video having a Charles Bronson song. Zorlac‘s zero hero has a judge song.
Trash talk‘s away video is a skate clip.

Depending on who you ask, Lard counts as a hardcore band. Prominently featured in the opening section of welcome to hell
Or just use the skatevideosite website for your research. It’s pretty easy

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 11:28:33 AM by yghartsyrt »

streetmeat

« Reply #1545 on: November 16, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
my part would have ‘puritan’ by hatebreed or ‘i have faith’ by youth of today

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1546 on: November 16, 2022, 11:54:04 AM »

Has anyone skated to Madball?
why come?

streetmeat

« Reply #1547 on: November 16, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they should, and it should be the entire ‘ball of destruction’ 7”

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1548 on: November 16, 2022, 12:52:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

they should, and it should be the entire ‘ball of destruction’ 7”

Or the entire Set It Off album.
why come?

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #1549 on: November 17, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »

https://youtu.be/63pI5hdxxaw

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1550 on: November 17, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
Reynolds skates to sweet home Alabama by Spazz in the end.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1551 on: November 18, 2022, 08:20:04 AM »
I forget but I think someone in a recent-ish traffic or quasi vid skates to a GB song off their self titled

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1552 on: November 24, 2022, 06:55:02 PM »
I forget but I think someone in a recent-ish traffic or quasi vid skates to a GB song off their self titled
Traffic
Cocteau Twins

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1553 on: November 24, 2022, 08:10:09 PM »
can't believe jim hesketh turned out to be a pedo and i hate how it's now illegal to talk about champion

streetmeat

« Reply #1554 on: November 26, 2022, 03:50:13 AM »
Mason Colleti skates to 'Nothing' by Negative Approach in the new Deep Fried 'Pescado' vid

https://youtu.be/oFtX9ch_GLA?t=2190

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1555 on: November 26, 2022, 08:59:00 AM »
Mason Colleti skates to 'Nothing' by Negative Approach in the new Deep Fried 'Pescado' vid

Sick but i would say negative approach are more of a hardcore punk band than a hardcore hardcore band... plenty of bad brains, black flag, minor threat etc used in skate vids but rarely like chain of strength or turning point

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1556 on: November 26, 2022, 09:14:50 AM »
Need to hear this song in a skate vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkanetjX6l0

streetmeat

« Reply #1557 on: November 26, 2022, 05:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sick but i would say negative approach are more of a hardcore punk band than a hardcore hardcore band... plenty of bad brains, black flag, minor threat etc used in skate vids but rarely like chain of strength or turning point

not sure how to respond to this other than ‘nothing’ has got to be one of the most influential HARDCORE songs ever.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1558 on: November 26, 2022, 06:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

not sure how to respond to this other than ‘nothing’ has got to be one of the most influential HARDCORE songs ever.

Yeah... it's still clearly very stylistically different to anything that would constitute the modern hardcore sound.

streetmeat

« Reply #1559 on: November 27, 2022, 05:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah... it's still clearly very stylistically different to anything that would constitute the modern hardcore sound.

the rival mob song you posted wouldnt exist without it