Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 786336 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6030 on: January 07, 2023, 06:48:37 AM »
I tried some 54mm 101a F4 classics recently, I really liked them.

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s *classics* that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Will post over in the "questions that dont deserve a whole thread" if needed, but i figured all the dudes in the wheel thread would best be able to hash this SERIOUS matter out for me. lol thanks in advance.

It definitely does help rolling on crust to have more riding surface. Slides im not sure it matters away from concrete. When I'm in the park I like to be as tall and slim as possible.

I have a question.

Can someone help me find a 60mm og classic in F4? I seen the ones at orchard but I'm 99 sure they are Classic formula and I want F4. Preferably in 101 a but 99 is fine.

I feel like I'm chasing a wheel that no longer exists. I just got a few bucks and I want to put big wheels on ice ASAP.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6031 on: January 07, 2023, 07:11:25 AM »
Yeah I can't find.

Can someone plz help me find from a safe shop. I'm frightened that I'll order some knock offs.

F4 is mandatory
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6032 on: January 07, 2023, 08:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s *classics* that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Will post over in the "questions that dont deserve a whole thread" if needed, but i figured all the dudes in the wheel thread would best be able to hash this SERIOUS matter out for me. lol thanks in advance.
[close]

It definitely does help rolling on crust to have more riding surface. Slides im not sure it matters away from concrete. When I'm in the park I like to be as tall and slim as possible.

I have a question.

Can someone help me find a 60mm og classic in F4? I seen the ones at orchard but I'm 99 sure they are Classic formula and I want F4. Preferably in 101 a but 99 is fine.

I feel like I'm chasing a wheel that no longer exists. I just got a few bucks and I want to put big wheels on ice ASAP.

found some on relief, 99duro
https://reliefskatesupply.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-og-classic-wheels-99du-60mm-1

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #6033 on: January 07, 2023, 08:57:34 AM »
Yeah I can't find.

Can someone plz help me find from a safe shop. I'm frightened that I'll order some knock offs.

F4 is mandatory

Best bet might be searching 60mm Conical Full. Old 60mm classics were essentially conical/conical full. Don’t know about the OG CClassic 60mm availability. Best advice I have is ask over in the F4 thread. They know shit over there.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #6034 on: January 07, 2023, 10:08:35 AM »
Yeah I can't find.

F4 is mandatory

https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire/p/Spitfire-Formula-Four-Classic-RedBronze-60mm-99a-x43594001.htm

99s again but a shop worth supporting, managed by a Slap Pal.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #6035 on: January 07, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah I can't find.

F4 is mandatory
[close]

https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire/p/Spitfire-Formula-Four-Classic-RedBronze-60mm-99a-x43594001.htm

Those are F4 but just Classics and not OG Classics.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a question.

[close]

https://reliefskatesupply.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-og-classic-wheels-99du-60mm-1

These are the right shape but are not F4.

The ones he’s looking for came out last in the summer ‘22 drop and are only in 99a.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #6036 on: January 07, 2023, 11:15:19 AM »
Oh the OG classics. I have some  60mms set up right now. Not that that helps...

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6037 on: January 07, 2023, 11:23:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeah I can't find.

F4 is mandatory
[close]

[close]
Those are F4 but just Classics and not OG Classics.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a question.

[close]

[close]
These are the right shape but are not F4.

The ones he’s looking for came out last in the summer ‘22 drop and are only in 99a.

maybe the image is wrong, but the wheels are listed as Formula Four in the URL and on the page. could double check with an email/insta message i'm sure

also geometric seems to have them as well, which again maybe email to make sure it's f4
https://www.geometricskateshop.com/products/spitfire-f4-99d-og-classic-wheels-60mm?_pos=4&_sid=44aa13591&_ss=r

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6038 on: January 07, 2023, 12:20:59 PM »
Hey @Uncle Flea DM with your new addy if you want. I got something for you from my hoard.

Here's 60mm F4 OG Classics on Parade:
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-og-classics-formula-four-skateboard-wheels-99d-60mm-1-7605551137024/
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #6039 on: January 07, 2023, 12:23:02 PM »

Also worth a thought is the regular formula in 99a if the F4 feels a bit too hard in 99a. I’m not ultra in-tune with my setup and I swear I noticed it. Regular 99a from Spitfire feels a little better to me on rough ground vs. the f4.

pops

• Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6040 on: January 07, 2023, 01:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Got the Keyframes and tested them indoors for a bit. They sure grip well but that will probably wear out a little after skating them more. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the shape, I thought they're symmetrical but not something I wouldn't get used to.
At first glance they seemed kinda cheaply made, toy skateboard wheels like almost, lol.  ;D
[close]

Before dragons came out I had a couple sets of the keyframes. I thought they were great for the price and what I intended to use them for. A good in-between regular and super soft cruiser wheel.

Yup they seem pretty good for what I'm going to use them for. I was super happy with my super juice minis before. I still have to wait for some spring/summer cruising and see how they actually feel on different surfaces. What I meant before is that these wheels' finishing looks very machine made but that will probably wear out after some use.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #6041 on: January 07, 2023, 01:55:33 PM »
Yeah I can't find.

F4 is mandatory

Like these?
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124977.0;topicseen
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #6042 on: January 09, 2023, 01:11:59 PM »
Yeah I can't find.

F4 is mandatory
https://www.geometricskateshop.com/products/spitfire-f4-99d-og-classic-wheels-60mm

Definitely not the type of spot you’d find fakes.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #6043 on: January 09, 2023, 09:03:00 PM »
I’m having this really annoying problem with my rear truck on one side, the bearing keeps slipping out of the wheel ever so slightly after every slappy and locking the wheel up. I’ve had this happen on 95a 60mm OJ’s, 95a 57mm Dogtowns, and now tonight on some 60mm 93a Dragons (holy fuck the best wheels for indoor if you haven’t tried them buy them just for that reason they actually allow you to skate like you’re outside).

I’ve tried running spacers and those proved to be useless. The axle (AF1 44’s) is not bent. I tried tapping the axle itself real hard on the ground without the wheel on while keeping the other one on to see if maybe it was axle slip, but I don’t think that’s the problem as I couldn’t get it to “slip” and make the one with the wheel on seize up. I don’t recall this happening with 97a+ in hardness with spitfires or any other wheel.

Anyone ever experience this? Is it just the softer wheels not having a plastic core to hold the bearings in? Bearings I’m using are Bronson Raw’s which I never thought these things would be legit but they really are hauling ass and not seizing up on their own.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #6044 on: January 10, 2023, 06:47:25 AM »
I’m having this really annoying problem with my rear truck on one side, the bearing keeps slipping out of the wheel ever so slightly after every slappy and locking the wheel up. I’ve had this happen on 95a 60mm OJ’s, 95a 57mm Dogtowns, and now tonight on some 60mm 93a Dragons (holy fuck the best wheels for indoor if you haven’t tried them buy them just for that reason they actually allow you to skate like you’re outside).

I’ve tried running spacers and those proved to be useless. The axle (AF1 44’s) is not bent. I tried tapping the axle itself real hard on the ground without the wheel on while keeping the other one on to see if maybe it was axle slip, but I don’t think that’s the problem as I couldn’t get it to “slip” and make the one with the wheel on seize up. I don’t recall this happening with 97a+ in hardness with spitfires or any other wheel.

Anyone ever experience this? Is it just the softer wheels not having a plastic core to hold the bearings in? Bearings I’m using are Bronson Raw’s which I never thought these things would be legit but they really are hauling ass and not seizing up on their own.

Maybe try some Ricta cores if you can find a wheel that suits you

Edit, first link on google https://shop.ccs.com/products/ricta-crystal-cores-95a-skateboard-wheels-54mm?variant=39798543483063&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIosvdh5-9_AIVKyitBh1WKA7BEAQYAiABEgJRI_D_BwE

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6045 on: January 10, 2023, 07:22:02 AM »

If it's only happening to that one side of a truck with different wheels, it's likely how you slappy.  I have the exact same thing with my rear heel side wheel no matter what wheel I use (even 99 spits).  A cored wheel will solve it and the ricta's noted above look great

logjammin

« Reply #6046 on: January 10, 2023, 11:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it's only happening to that one side of a truck with different wheels, it's likely how you slappy.  I have the exact same thing with my rear heel side wheel no matter what wheel I use (even 99 spits).  A cored wheel will solve it and the ricta's noted above look great

Well, with 97a-100a Spitfires I have never had this issue so I guess I'm gonna try out some cored wheels. I can't do those Rictas they look like some kind of Walmart wheel lol. I did some research and it looks like some OJ keyframes are what I need for grip at the indoor+no bearing slip since they're cored. Thanks for the replies guys.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6047 on: January 10, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »
I didn‘t have it on Bones 100s nor Lil Smokies but have it on Spitfire Classics now. Sucks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6048 on: January 10, 2023, 04:43:27 PM »

You might have figured it out, as per other comments, but I would ask / check these things just to make sure:

1. Skate the board backwards (if possible) and do the same trick you do - slappies shouldn't need kicks or direction like some other tricks, but I don't know what you are riding.

2. Rotate the wheels and see if it is that position more so than one particular wheel

3. By using spacers and checking things are almost locked down (add a washer in the middle area with spacer if needed) so there is no play, does this solve the issue? 

Note:  I prefer to run normal bearings in wheels, no spacers with some play so am not a fan of this, but this is what I had to do with one set of wheels that the middle area was coming loose.  Ended up putting the Bones Race Reds in there - the ones with the built in spacers and it solved the problem with the wheels too.  Not saying you have to get those, but there are other brands that do them too, but they definitely solve any and all wheel bearing seat slip issues, even if it makes the board sound different, at least you will not have to deal with pushing the wheel back on correctly after every run.

Added this link just to show you, in case anyone doesn't know, they have the extra built in middle area, which acts like a spacer, only it is preventing any movement in the bearing, axle position, etc.  The "go fast down hills" type of people use them a lot, and I wasn't really that keen on them, but they worked for those wheels, so I came away with a different perspective after that.

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-race-reds-reg-skateboard-bearings-8-pack

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #6049 on: January 11, 2023, 07:47:54 AM »
Are dragon formulas quieter like a normal soft wheel? Think indoor mini ramp in a garage with a shared wall

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 117
« Reply #6050 on: January 11, 2023, 08:39:20 AM »
Are dragon formulas quieter like a normal soft wheel? Think indoor mini ramp in a garage with a shared wall

Very quiet

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6051 on: January 11, 2023, 08:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Added this link just to show you, in case anyone doesn't know, they have the extra built in middle area, which acts like a spacer, only it is preventing any movement in the bearing, axle position, etc.  The "go fast down hills" type of people use them a lot, and I wasn't really that keen on them, but they worked for those wheels, so I came away with a different perspective after that.

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-race-reds-reg-skateboard-bearings-8-pack

I'm wondering how race reds work, since spacers are rarely the right size. Which wheels do race reds actually fit right? It must suck to get them and then you can't even fully get both bearings inside the wheel because the middle part of the wheel is too short. And if the middle part of the wheel is too long, you just paid more money to get regular reds...

elegant_fox

« Reply #6052 on: January 11, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
I've fit race reds into the 54mm Dragons, the 55mm Spitfire Conical Fulls, Spitfire 52mm classics, and Bones 60mm V5s. They all fit no problem with the nut flush on the axle end(all on Indy trucks). You just have to run without speed rings, which is how they're designed to be used.

logjammin

« Reply #6053 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:03 AM »
My locals don't have any race reds, as most skate shops have no reason to carry them probably. In one of those moods where I don't wanna wait for shit to come in the mail so I am trying some 87a keyframes that my local has, as BMCsteve suggested I hope the plastic core will stop the bearing slippage.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6054 on: January 11, 2023, 12:55:23 PM »
I've fit race reds into the 54mm Dragons, the 55mm Spitfire Conical Fulls, Spitfire 52mm classics, and Bones 60mm V5s. They all fit no problem with the nut flush on the axle end(all on Indy trucks). You just have to run without speed rings, which is how they're designed to be used.

My race reds fit great in dragons. I only used them given how soft the wheel is so I could lock them down; as for no speed ring usage, that depends on the truck and wheel width...I use one extra speed ring on the inside with my dragons so the nut is flush with end of axle.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:00:30 PM by Xen »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6055 on: January 11, 2023, 04:02:47 PM »

Of course they fit, but do the insides actually touch? Because if they don't, they're just like regular reds. That's what I'm wondering

elegant_fox

« Reply #6056 on: January 11, 2023, 04:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Of course they fit, but do the insides actually touch? Because if they don't, they're just like regular reds. That's what I'm wondering

Each bearing has a 1/2 extended inner race that essentially replaces the spacers you would get with a swiss package. If you have a wheel that has such a large gap between the bearing seats that they don't touch when running a spacer, I would retire them and get some that fit to standard spec.

From Bones:

"Each Bones Race REDS Bearings is made with upgraded top quality bearing steel, ground to perfection and polished, best for racers who use precision trucks and properly tighten their axle nuts

Precision ground 0.200 built in spacer to provide perfect 0.400 spacing between bearings.

Precision ground extended race eliminates the need for speed washers, and provides better alignment of the bearings when the axle nut is tightened."

I think the reason you might not see many folks running these is they're more of a longboarding/speedboarding approach to bearing fitment where you need a precise alignment of the bearing for 35mph+ speeds.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6057 on: January 11, 2023, 09:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess with some other spacers, the spacer can vary in size, but those Race Reds bearings seemed to hit the spot, so to speak, as they appeared to fit perfectly in any set of wheels I tried them in while I still had them.

When the board with those wheels was passed on to someone else, I left the bearings in the wheels, to stop the next owner from having similar issues.

My locals don't have any race reds, as most skate shops have no reason to carry them probably. In one of those moods where I don't wanna wait for shit to come in the mail so I am trying some 87a keyframes that my local has, as BMCsteve suggested I hope the plastic core will stop the bearing slippage.

At least there is an option if or when you might want to try them in the future.  I am not a guy to endorse any particular products - I like what I like and everyone has their own opinions, but that sort of bearing with the extented inner, no matter what the brand, could be a good fix for you.

I am curious if it happens in other wheels now too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6058 on: January 12, 2023, 03:53:52 AM »
Makes sense, I didn't know if the problem of spacers rarely fitting wheels right is because of poor spacer or wheel tolerances. If most cheap spacers are at fault, I can see the race reds working perfectly.

While it's still hard to believe that companies get the spacer size wrong. It must be a lot harder to make precise bearing seats in wheels than making a precise spacer.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6059 on: January 12, 2023, 07:30:57 AM »
Can someone explain to me what is up with my OJ Wheels + Bronson Beaerings combo, maybe it is because the wheels are very wide?
they are 58mm Natas OJ wheel with Bronson G3 bearings. I used all the spacers and rings in between and outside. I can tighten the nut fully and there is the tiniest bit of play but its absolutely perfect. where normally, this has been my experience in 25 years of skating, when i set up wheels / bearings, i have to back off from tightening the nut fully on because otherwise there is NO play at all and the wheel just cannot spin. whats different about this combo? is it because i have the spacers? or because the wheels are wider? it was both on Indy 159 + Ace 60s i believe the same thing happens (currently its on the Aces i can confirm this happens) not complaining, just interesting