Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 788945 times)

dakara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2310 on: December 02, 2019, 07:46:18 PM »
Anyone else have trouble sliding 99d’s formula fours, as in can’t get them to slide whatsoever? I’m on 54mm tablets and this is my first expierance with ff. Never been a great powerslider but I could get my previous sets of  rictas and normal spitfires to slide with enough speed. I can’t get these to budge or break grip even when I’m bombing a hill with smooth surface. I know 99s are softer than most street wheels but p much everyone I’ve talked to said they slide fine previous to buying them. Probably just a matter of my skating ability, but was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I skate all terrain and use my board as transportation in Tokyo so I don’t want to go up to 101s or switch to a thinner contact patch wheel but I also like to slide. Absolutely love these wheels besides this issue, couldn’t believe how much faster they were than normal urethane.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2311 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »
You broken them in yet? They tend to get better once they are probably broken in.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2312 on: December 02, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
Anyone else have trouble sliding 99d’s formula fours, as in can’t get them to slide whatsoever? I’m on 54mm tablets and this is my first expierance with ff. Never been a great powerslider but I could get my previous sets of  rictas and normal spitfires to slide with enough speed. I can’t get these to budge or break grip even when I’m bombing a hill with smooth surface. I know 99s are softer than most street wheels but p much everyone I’ve talked to said they slide fine previous to buying them. Probably just a matter of my skating ability, but was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I skate all terrain and use my board as transportation in Tokyo so I don’t want to go up to 101s or switch to a thinner contact patch wheel but I also like to slide. Absolutely love these wheels besides this issue, couldn’t believe how much faster they were than normal urethane.

Honestly, I‘ve experienced the opposite! Every pair I have slides super well. I ride the 52mm F4 conical fulls in 99 and have a set of 53mm lock ins in 99 as well and they slide better than the Spitfire Og classic 99’s and the Bones easy street 99’s.

Possible you just got a bad set?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2313 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
could also be floor/terrain, i had some f4 99ds a few years back and a couple of spots up here had floor where you'd have some leeway and be able to chuck a couple small slides/revert tricks but not really a prolonged slide, but on smoother floors/good parks/etc theyd slide for a while

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2314 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm way too deep into Spitfire country, only brand of wheels that I would like to try are sml or acid
[close]

I usually only skate spitfire aswell, but I did try out a set of SML wheels and thought they were quite good but they felt just a little harder while also being 99a and they seemed to wear a little quicker. However they were also 30 USD compared to 40 USD for formula fours so I would recommend them personally. They also had a very loud powerslide which I liked

Thanks for the feedback and support!

The wheels you got we're probably the OG formula who we get from Aend. They have a high rebound than most wheels which makes them feel harder and at first takes a little more effort on the power slide hence the loud sound when you do. It also means it's harder to flat spot them.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2315 on: December 05, 2019, 12:33:16 AM »
I just got a set of Jivaro 53mm wheelbiters

53mm 101a conicals. Pretty much identical to spitfire conical full mold. I think I read that they use Creative urethane. I took them out yesterday running errands around town and was really impressed with them. Really fast and smooth feeling even on the rough Pittsburgh streets, in fact I had to drag my foot on the last little hill on the way home and I hardly ever do that. Didn't get to really properly test the slide out because it was wet and I was carrying two bags of groceries but I'm going to mess around with them a bit today.

I'm cautiously optimistic that these might end up being one of the best non-f4 wheels I've tried. If anyone wants a set coda has them on sale for 25.

What got you to buy these? They look legit
yes

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2316 on: December 05, 2019, 04:57:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm way too deep into Spitfire country, only brand of wheels that I would like to try are sml or acid
[close]

I usually only skate spitfire aswell, but I did try out a set of SML wheels and thought they were quite good but they felt just a little harder while also being 99a and they seemed to wear a little quicker. However they were also 30 USD compared to 40 USD for formula fours so I would recommend them personally. They also had a very loud powerslide which I liked
[close]

Thanks for the feedback and support!

The wheels you got we're probably the OG formula who we get from Aend. They have a high rebound than most wheels which makes them feel harder and at first takes a little more effort on the power slide hence the loud sound when you do. It also means it's harder to flat spot them.

For sure! Out of all the wheels I've tried they're easily my 2nd favorite and I plan on skating them again because the shape is fantastic

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2317 on: December 05, 2019, 05:36:23 AM »
Expand Quote

53mm 101a conicals.
[close]

Rad graphic and sexiest shape.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2318 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SML. AG formula and Dial Tones.

Prize Fighter Cutlery were great wheels, but I think they're done.
ive emailed sml sooo many times about trying to get them in my shop, never a response.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2319 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote

53mm 101a conicals. Pretty much identical to spitfire conical full mold. I think I read that they use Creative urethane. I took them out yesterday running errands around town and was really impressed with them. Really fast and smooth feeling even on the rough Pittsburgh streets, in fact I had to drag my foot on the last little hill on the way home and I hardly ever do that. Didn't get to really properly test the slide out because it was wet and I was carrying two bags of groceries but I'm going to mess around with them a bit today.

I'm cautiously optimistic that these might end up being one of the best non-f4 wheels I've tried. If anyone wants a set coda has them on sale for 25.
[close]

https://www.unheardpdx.com/jivaro-wheel-biters-53mm/

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2320 on: December 05, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Has anyone ever skated Kontrol wheels? Just copped some shop wheels made by them.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #2321 on: December 05, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
Has anyone ever skated Kontrol wheels? Just copped some shop wheels made by them.

I skated some years ago, I remember liking them.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #2322 on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
ive emailed sml sooo many times about trying to get them in my shop, never a response.

Where is you shop located? Let's get you sorted out!

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2323 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Where is you shop located? Let's get you sorted out!
Calgary, Canada. Let me know whats up James. Thanks!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2324 on: December 06, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
who has experience with boardy cakes wheels? want to fuck around and try some. never rode a wheel below 49mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2325 on: December 07, 2019, 06:47:45 PM »
who has experience with boardy cakes wheels? want to fuck around and try some. never rode a wheel below 49mm

I've got a set of the Fat Bundts. Mad fun for flat ground/curb stuff, super stable feeling. Obviously your pop is going to be a bit weaker, and you're going to go way slower, but for low impact stuff I find them a lot of fun. Don't think they'd be my main wheels but I like having them around.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2326 on: December 07, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Beautiful white F4s back in stock. Neckface collabs as well and they look fucking sick.

The beloved 99a Conical Fulls in 53 and 55mm is one of them.  Not sure why they wouldn’t include the most popular Conical Full size (54mm) but oh well.

You guys are lucky I’m sharing this info... I could have been a dick and bought up all the 53mm Conical Fulls but it’s the holidays and I can’t justify spending more money on myself.  I should probably buy a set before they’re gone though.  Wish they did some Neckface 99a Radial Slims. :/

99a Conical Full Neckface x Rowan (53 & 55mm)
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_F4_Neckface_Rowan_99a_Wheels/descpage-SF4NRWH.html

99a F4 Classic Neckface x Spanky (52 & 54mm)
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_F4_Neckface_Spanky_99a_Wheels/descpage-SF4NSWH.html

99a F4 Radial Neckface x Kader (58mm)
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_F4_Neckface_Kader_99a_Wheels/descpage-SF4NKWH.html

99a F4 Radial Neckface x Kader (54 & 58mm)
https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/wheels/spitfire/f4-99-kader-neckface-radial-wheels-white-pid-53792

Those are the cheapest I found them ($34.99).  Enjoy.

Btw free shipping $50+ at Skatewarehouse so maybe buy two pairs when you jump on these.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2327 on: December 09, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got a set of the Fat Bundts. Mad fun for flat ground/curb stuff, super stable feeling. Obviously your pop is going to be a bit weaker, and you're going to go way slower, but for low impact stuff I find them a lot of fun. Don't think they'd be my main wheels but I like having them around.

I love my 42mm ones, and my flip tricks actually get higher off the ground while ollies feel unchanged. I set them up with Thunders and a Polar football that has a short tail, maybe that evens out the pop variables, I haven't really thought too much about this.

And yeah same goes for me, they won't be my main wheels, but I'll rock them on smooth skatepark concrete from time to time.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2328 on: December 13, 2019, 12:52:53 AM »
So I’m gunna set up a EE3-era inspired board and kinda don’t want to put F4s on it, should I get get some sml v-cuts or some loopholes (or maybe even dial tones?). Are loopholes all super rock hard? I’m looking at the 56mm ones but they are listed as 103??? I’d prefer 99a in general. I had some waywards in 101 a while back though and they didn’t seem too tooth rattling (unlike something like prize fighter). Anyway, looking for something “indie” that’s 54 - 56 with a wider cut to give it that chunky wheel look
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:18:04 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2329 on: December 13, 2019, 01:26:11 AM »
So I’m gunna set up a EE3-era inspired board and kinda don’t want to put F4s on it, should I get get some sml v-cuts or some loopholes (or maybe even dial tones?). Are loopholes all super rock hard? I’m looking at the 56mm ones but they are listed as 103??? I’d prefer 99a in general. I had some waywards in 101 a while back though and they didn’t seem too tooth rattling (unlike something like prize fighter). Anyway, looking for something “indie” that’s 54 - 56 with a wider cut to give it that chunky wheel look
What level of EE3?
Ricky, Barley, Forbes normcore or full on Matt Reason fattie fatts?
http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/search/label/matt%20reason
63's!!!!! I was remembering 60-61mm and squarish

Crustbuster setup? Seen what the guy in Okinawa is rockin?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2330 on: December 13, 2019, 02:44:58 AM »
I actually had those 63mm physics wheels believe it or not, they were pretty ridiculous though (although physics was a great company). I’m thinking Jerry Fisher/ Half Cab era Fred Gall; not quite on Matt’s level but somewhere in between. Probably 56mm fat wheels on a 8.25 board, nothing huge by today’s standards but they just looked so raw at the time 8)

Who in Okinawa are we taking about?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2331 on: December 13, 2019, 06:17:51 AM »

Not an indie brand like you were asking for, but I got some 60mm 99a Spitfire OG classics a while back that fit what you are talking about. They have them in 54 and 56 too iirc. Square, chunky, still perform nicely

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2332 on: December 13, 2019, 06:20:11 AM »
what is EE3?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2333 on: December 13, 2019, 07:10:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not an indie brand like you were asking for, but I got some 60mm 99a Spitfire OG classics a while back that fit what you are talking about. They have them in 54 and 56 too iirc. Square, chunky, still perform nicely
yeah, I'm honestly contemplating some standard conical F4s too, but OG classics in 56 would probably be more era specific.
loophole are 103 hardness which seems ridics, found some dial tone conicals too but can't find them over 53mm. Wayward v-cuts are  my other option. I've skate wayward before so I know what to expect of them. I mean they're not F4s but they're not the worst wheels you could skate... will put OG classic on my short list too!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2334 on: December 13, 2019, 07:10:36 AM »

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2335 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
what is EE3?
[close]
erectile explosion x3
Damn man... The fact that it was 3 times...

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2336 on: December 13, 2019, 07:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, I'm honestly contemplating some standard conical F4s too, but OG classics in 56 would probably be more era specific.
loophole are 103 hardness which seems ridics, found some dial tone conicals too but can't find them over 53mm. Wayward v-cuts are  my other option. I've skate wayward before so I know what to expect of them. I mean they're not F4s but they're not the worst wheels you could skate... will put OG classic on my short list too!

I had the same problem with the Loophole samples I got. Too hard for me to ride. If they made a 99a I would be all over those. Same issue with the Dialtones for me too (the sizing, not the hardness). I ride some of their 53’s on my smaller set up, but I just like F4’s so much better so I have a hard time sticking with those and for my bigger set up I ride 55-61 so no luck there. I haven’t tried Wayward’s, but if they make wide shapes I might give them a shot!

It’s hard to ride anything besides F4’s in their standard shapes and the classic OG’s formula/shape combo seems like it’s still as good if not better for me than most of the formulas from Indie companies I’ve tried. Plus, like you said, they do seem like what I remember people riding back then. They look and feel the part well iirc
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:22:09 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2337 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:27 AM »
↑ I ended up pulling the trigger on some 56 conical loopholes, the shop I bought them from described them as around the same hardness as 99 F4s so we’ll see ... I just got my winter bonus so if I hate them I can just pick up some F4s instead.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2338 on: December 14, 2019, 02:22:21 AM »
↑ I ended up pulling the trigger on some 56 conical loopholes, the shop I bought them from described them as around the same hardness as 99 F4s so we’ll see ... I just got my winter bonus so if I hate them I can just pick up some F4s instead.

I'm very interested in hearing how those are. If you can post an in depth review of them comparing them to F4s I'd really appreciate it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2339 on: December 14, 2019, 02:34:33 AM »
Will do, got some time off over the break so I’ll try and get some hours clocked in on them 🤞