Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778671 times)

roba, Still_Sorry and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Diocletian

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3660 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »
I'm skating some 95a 60mm OJs right now, in the past I've had some 97a 60mm Dogtown's as well. I know it's a big size but I find this combo of huge size and slightly softer durometer to unlock a much more comfortable and stable all-terrain experience vs the usual size/hardness most are riding nowadays. I can basically do one push and then slalom back and forth really hard and gain speed without even pushing because the wheels are secure to the ground unlike slipfires. Takes a little getting used to with looking down and seeing such crazy big wheels and adds some heft to the board. Other than that it's insanely fun, would love to see some more pals on here try it out and share their experiences.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3661 on: March 23, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
I'm skating some 95a 60mm OJs right now, in the past I've had some 97a 60mm Dogtown's as well. I know it's a big size but I find this combo of huge size and slightly softer durometer to unlock a much more comfortable and stable all-terrain experience vs the usual size/hardness most are riding nowadays. I can basically do one push and then slalom back and forth really hard and gain speed without even pushing because the wheels are secure to the ground unlike slipfires. Takes a little getting used to with looking down and seeing such crazy big wheels and adds some heft to the board. Other than that it's insanely fun, would love to see some more pals on here try it out and share their experiences.

Yes I have always had at least one setup with that size and duro, often when I have not as wide trucks and a wider deck, the wide wheels fit well without sticking out too far, eg right now there are some on a set of 149s on a shaped board just under 9 and they work well.

Many of the older guys with bigger boards and a couple of the younger ones who want the "old guy setup" as they call it are all riding some form of Santa Cruz / OJ in 95 to 97 duro, from the Teamriders, the Slimeballs, the Elite Combos, almost all 60 to 61mm and 95 to 97 duro.  All from the same place and all usually amazing wheels to skate.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3662 on: March 24, 2021, 03:50:47 AM »

Got my PFC - 53mm 101a. Shout out to Ray for hooking it up with an awesome DOA sticker. First impressions - really like the shape, I'd call it more of a radial than a classic. Second photo is next to a 53mm 101a F4 conical full and they're about the same width but the PFC have a smaller contact patch. When I go back to my apartment I'll see if I can find my calipers and get the actual dimensions.

Since they're treaded it's going to take a while to see how well they really slide but I skated another similar creative urethane wheel (jivaro 53mm 101a conical) for a while last year and they had a very nice bark and didn't hang up on slow slides like softer CU formulas I've tried sometimes do. Just messing around in the basement they feel hard, fast, and slick. My primary concern right now is how they'll fare on the rough, cracked streets around my neighborhood.  Usually anything over 99a means numb feet if you're traveling any significant distance but nfg kind of opened my eyes to how well a really hard wheel can handle rough ground so maybe these will too.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3663 on: March 25, 2021, 11:54:28 AM »
Meant to post yesterday, but be wary of NFG MFG rn. You may be getting smaller wheels than the ones you bought.

I ordered 56mm Vee shape Production Seconds and they ended up being an average of 54.5mm. One of the wheels also had two fat grooves that deformed the riding surface.

I don't know if the grooves are only found in the Production Seconds (as this is more than a cosmetic defect) but from emailing NFG and speaking to a friend that rides a lot of NFG, the wrong wheel sizing is consistent along all the wheels.

I don't mean to shit on NFG MFG since the wheels they put out are REALLY great, but I wish they were more transparent about this on their website as there's no mention of this problem. I'm still riding the wheels and they're great (especially for the price if you don't mind an ugly wheel). I hope they manage to fix this issue soon.

Until then, I'd personally buy one size bigger than the one you want (ie if you want 56mm, buy 58mm), or bug your local and measure them in person :v

Side note: buy calipers if you want to enter a whole new level of gear madness.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3664 on: March 25, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
I was riding F4 99 conical full since they were first available and just changed to 99 V3 slim from Bones and like the bones better. not sure why but they feel better to me which sounds like the opposite of what most people say

Before Spitfire F4s, Bones were 'the wheel'- I like both, for crust, prefer the 99a STF to 99a spit, prefer SPF over Spit in smooth parks and to me, Bones 'feel' faster on smooth concrete; they also have to of my favorite shapes: the V5 and V3.

For general all terrain street skating, I prefer 101a spits to 103b STFs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3665 on: March 25, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »
Meant to post yesterday, but be wary of NFG MFG rn. You may be getting smaller wheels than the ones you bought.

I ordered 56mm Vee shape Production Seconds and they ended up being an average of 54.5mm. One of the wheels also had two fat grooves that deformed the riding surface.

I don't know if the grooves are only found in the Production Seconds (as this is more than a cosmetic defect) but from emailing NFG and speaking to a friend that rides a lot of NFG, the wrong wheel sizing is consistent along all the wheels.

I don't mean to shit on NFG MFG since the wheels they put out are REALLY great, but I wish they were more transparent about this on their website as there's no mention of this problem. I'm still riding the wheels and they're great (especially for the price if you don't mind an ugly wheel). I hope they manage to fix this issue soon.

Until then, I'd personally buy one size bigger than the one you want (ie if you want 56mm, buy 58mm), or bug your local and measure them in person :v

I have some other brand wheels that had issues to look at but still skated fine.

There was also a set or too I messed up with the angle grinder when I was reshaping them down, but they also skated fine and if I didn't think about it, there was nothing to worry about, but they look all kinds of messed up.

Set them up and skate them and let people know, cause for a "second" wheel, at a good price, they might be worth it, or they might not.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3666 on: March 26, 2021, 04:18:22 AM »

Delete this, don't embarrass yourself.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3667 on: March 26, 2021, 06:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Delete this, don't embarrass yourself.

Elaborate please. Why should I delete a warning to those that might get wheels that aren't as advertised?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3668 on: March 26, 2021, 06:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have some other brand wheels that had issues to look at but still skated fine.

There was also a set or too I messed up with the angle grinder when I was reshaping them down, but they also skated fine and if I didn't think about it, there was nothing to worry about, but they look all kinds of messed up.

Set them up and skate them and let people know, cause for a "second" wheel, at a good price, they might be worth it, or they might not.

Yeah currently skating them as said in my previous post, so far no problems and the performance is really good although it's only been one 3 hour session at the time of this post. I figured people would want to know about this issue since I know some people take details like that extremely seriously. Also I really did want 56mm wheels instead of 54mm :v (not a big issue)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3669 on: March 26, 2021, 09:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.hazardwheels.com/

i wish there was a wheel more slippery then stf 104a..
[close]

i felt f4 101a's were more slippery than the spf 104s and stf 103s
[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s
[close]

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...
[close]

mght as well go with stf 99a for street then...

too broke for f4 its like 60cad for a set
[close]

Oddly enough, the 99a Stfs I’ve had are pretty grippy and don’t slide very well. At least the newer ones. When they first came out the white ones slid comparably to f4 but the natural color ones after those seem drastically different

It's true, the white EZ streets slide waaaaaay better than the current natural colored 99a STFs (previously dirty birds?). You can still get the white EZs but it's old stock and usually 54mm+

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3670 on: March 26, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s
[close]

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...
[close]

[close]

Oddly enough, the 99a Stfs I’ve had are pretty grippy and don’t slide very well. At least the newer ones. When they first came out the white ones slid comparably to f4 but the natural color ones after those seem drastically different
[close]

It's true, the white EZ streets slide waaaaaay better than the current natural colored 99a STFs (previously dirty birds?). You can still get the white EZs but it's old stock and usually 54mm+

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed. I thought the white ones were pretty comparable to F4 99’s as far as ease and consistency of slide

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3671 on: March 26, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed. I thought the white ones were pretty comparable to F4 99’s as far as ease and consistency of slide

I've a set of each (well two natural colored 99s, V3 and V3 and one white V1) and put the OG ezs on after the V3s, its crazy how different they feel. I blame on spitfire and bones kowtowing to 'marketing' meaning, using naturals to compete with spits offwhite/natural look.

I like white wheels!

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3672 on: March 26, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »
bones for me never stayed white. they usually turn into some weird neon glow greenish piss type yellow tone after mere weeks. i take the beige natural colored wheels over the pissed looking wheels any day. maybe the streets of my city are constantly drenched in a thin urine layer that the bones just pick up really well, who knows.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3673 on: March 26, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've a set of each (well two natural colored 99s, V3 and V3 and one white V1) and put the OG ezs on after the V3s, its crazy how different they feel. I blame on spitfire and bones kowtowing to 'marketing' meaning, using naturals to compete with spits offwhite/natural look.

I like white wheels!

i bought some 56 fatties in natural after buying some white ones, and i agree, they feel like a different wheel. can't say for sure the white ones slid better, but they did seem to handle crust a little better.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #3674 on: March 26, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
Took a chance on these darkroom wheels...50mm 99a, and wide...seems like a rounded conical. Held up next to my 53mm classic’s they are wider. Haven’t ridden them yet so will report back results.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3675 on: March 26, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah currently skating them as said in my previous post, so far no problems and the performance is really good although it's only been one 3 hour session at the time of this post. I figured people would want to know about this issue since I know some people take details like that extremely seriously. Also I really did want 56mm wheels instead of 54mm :v (not a big issue)

Yes I know what you mean.

Often when you ride them, they go ok and then you think it is not a worry, but for some people who constantly think about or over think anything to do with a setup, this would be a deal breaker.

After riding used smaller wheels for a while on some other setups, my normal board with 56mm wheels feels so big and so fast and I think "Why did I start riding smaller wheels at all?" but then I go back to my 2ft high shed ramp, or skating carparks and then remember smaller wheels have their place too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3676 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:44 PM »
Took a chance on these darkroom wheels...50mm 99a, and wide...seems like a rounded conical. Held up next to my 53mm classic’s they are wider. Haven’t ridden them yet so will report back results.

I've got a set of 50mm triclops, they are your typical mearthane/creative feeling 99a.

sammyz

« Reply #3677 on: March 27, 2021, 01:10:31 AM »
Does that mean good, bad or meh?

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #3678 on: March 27, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »
I want to try a set of those 50mm Triclops...looking to try a wider wheel.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3679 on: March 27, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »
Spitfire finally released the 97a formula in a wider size. Thinking bout scooping up a pair.

Anybody have any luck with the classic ones since the release?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3680 on: March 27, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
Spitfire finally released the 97a formula in a wider size. Thinking bout scooping up a pair.

I have 97a classics and they are great. Take a little of the edge off the crust, slide really nice and consistent. Can’t say enough good stuff about them

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3681 on: March 28, 2021, 07:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have 97a classics and they are great. Take a little of the edge off the crust, slide really nice and consistent. Can’t say enough good stuff about them
yeah I like em too. Even slipped out of a power slide yesterday downhill and slammed my knee bc they slid so well. I pushed a little too hard into the slide

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3682 on: March 28, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
yeah I like em too. Even slipped out of a power slide yesterday downhill and slammed my knee bc they slid so well. I pushed a little too hard into the slide

I’m curious how soft they could go with their duro and still keep a reasonable slide because the 97s slide better (more consistently, less jerky) than a lot of 99 and 101 wheels from other brands I’ve tried

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3683 on: March 28, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’m curious how soft they could go with their duro and still keep a reasonable slide because the 97s slide better (more consistently, less jerky) than a lot of 99 and 101 wheels from other brands I’ve tried

I love mine too. They are my wheel for life.

In saying that .... Yeah.... I mean I'd try a 95 f4 if they made it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3684 on: March 28, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »
Has anyone tried 95a OJ elite nomads? Curious how they would compare with a 97 spit f4.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3685 on: March 28, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »
Has anyone tried 95a OJ elite nomads? Curious how they would compare with a 97 spit f4.

I have tried both. I had the 54mm nomads and the 56mm Classic spitfires. Both perform as advertised. The OJs def feel a little softer but slide just as well as the Spitfires. Speed seems about the same. Both are great for crusty spots or super slippery spots. They really are both a great 'compromise' between cruiser wheels and regular street/ park wheels.  And both are pretty durable but do wear quicker than their harder counter-parts. I could not flat spot or chip either one and I have tried to destroy them both.

If you are used to 99a to 101a wheels you will notice they are slower and do take a bit more effort to get sliding.

You can't go wrong with either one. I back them both for shitty ground, curb thrashing or for a  little extra bite on super slick ground.  I personally prefer the Spitfire as I normally ride F4s and they feel more familiar. I'll stick with 99a F4s for general purposes but I think I'll always have some 97s on hand for shitty spots and winter weather motivators.

I keep meaning to spend a day on some steep hills on both b/c i think they'd be great for controlled power slides at speed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3686 on: March 29, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »

They're meh/no F4 or STF

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3687 on: March 29, 2021, 04:58:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're meh/no F4 or STF

After trying out a dozen different brands of wheels last month in a place that had a few different surfaces (road, concrete and wooden ramp) I was amazed at the performance differences of most of the wheels I had, pretty much all the big brands and yeah the only two I considered actually skated well were Spitfire and then Bones, with the OJs elite (USA) formula in third, but that was just our take on them - a few of us all skated them to see what they were like on all three surfaces - but it definitely makes me happy I am riding Spitfire wheels.

That is not to say that all those other wheels were bad, as I know some people like different qualities they have, but coming from Spitfires, nothing else really held up the same and a couple of sets were accidently flatspotted without even trying to smash them, which says a lot.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3688 on: March 29, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They're meh/no F4 or STF
[close]

After trying out a dozen different brands of wheels last month in a place that had a few different surfaces (road, concrete and wooden ramp) I was amazed at the performance differences of most of the wheels I had, pretty much all the big brands and yeah the only two I considered actually skated well were Spitfire and then Bones, with the OJs elite (USA) formula in third, but that was just our take on them - a few of us all skated them to see what they were like on all three surfaces - but it definitely makes me happy I am riding Spitfire wheels.

That is not to say that all those other wheels were bad, as I know some people like different qualities they have, but coming from Spitfires, nothing else really held up the same and a couple of sets were accidently flatspotted without even trying to smash them, which says a lot.

The OJ Elites are underrated for sure (as are Ricta, the super slims I have are great, hard and haven't flatspotted yet). You just can't compete with the big three and OJs are only still a thing because of the name legacy and marketing.

It's surprising that Ricta naturals had a such a following back in the day and they just let that fade away..thing is unless you have your own formula (bones, spit) and brand recognition+marketing dollars, it's hard to break in and dominate...sml, wayward, autobahn, satori, hubba, ghetto child...list goes on and on.

And, really all you need is bones or spit depending on what you skate and how you want it to feel. It's the same with trucks...there is really only two camps right now: turny or or less turny but more stable and if it were only Indy or Thunder as your two choices, the world would move on...

sammyz

« Reply #3689 on: March 30, 2021, 12:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're meh/no F4 or STF

Ok...really I got these for the size...I wanna try small conical shape to see if I like it or if it makes any difference in my skating.