Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778128 times)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5070 on: June 15, 2022, 08:04:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I skated the new Bones wheels today. The 93a's in 52mm handled varying degrees of blown-out rustbelt crust with surprising ease. My feet felt comfy and I pushed less to maintain the same amount of speed as 99a F4s. They also slide very well. Spitfire has a real problem on their hands. I don't see myself going back to F4s, and I previously felt they were the pinnacle of urethane. I'm amazed a 52mm skates so well around here.
[close]

Hey…where did you get these wheels? They are not on the Powell website. As for softer wheels, it is amazing how fast my Bones Rough Riders are. I am definitely sold on Bones/Powell Peralta for all my 93a-80a wheel needs.
[close]

Email [email protected]

They are $30 shipped or cheaper for multiple sets

I bought 5 sets of 56 mm 93 a's for 100.  He gave me an extra set of those plus 2 sets of cored 54 93a's and two sets of 52 mm 90 a's.  If I don't give any away, theyd probably last me the rest of my life.  I'm going to try them out this coming week on some crusty midwest spots.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5071 on: June 15, 2022, 09:06:58 PM »
I bought 5 sets of 56 mm 93 a's for 100.  He gave me an extra set of those plus 2 sets of cored 54 93a's and two sets of 52 mm 90 a's.  If I don't give any away, theyd probably last me the rest of my life.  I'm going to try them out this coming week on some crusty midwest spots.

Damn, I should really do this too! I'm going to have to sell some of these extra wheels I have laying around first.

If anyone has any interest in buying any of these, I will put some of these on the classified board (or however people swap gear on here), I guess:

Brand New (in packaging):
Bones STF 103a - 54mm V4 (Wide aka Radial)
Spitfire F4 99a - 56mm Conical Full

Like New (a few light sessions):
Bones STF 99a - 55mm V5 (Sidecut aka Conical)

Lightly used (Manufacturing defect: 2 wheels wobble slightly, 1 wobbles noticeably):
Spitfire F4 99a - 56mm Radial Full Eternals (Worn down to 55mm)

Moderately used:
Spitfire F4 97a - 54mm Conical Full (Worn down to 52mm? Graphic still mostly intact)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 09:38:28 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5072 on: June 15, 2022, 09:41:08 PM »
okay but how do the 93a bones slide on ledges and rails?
blunts, tails, crooks, things of those sorts
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5073 on: June 16, 2022, 11:05:26 AM »

@off back a few pages:

https://youtu.be/QOGlQIWXzk4

Seems like they might be a just a tad stickier/slower than a 'regular' wheel?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5074 on: June 16, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@off back a few pages:

Yeah "regular" in quotes is exactly what I was thinking too. It seems like all these YouTube vloggers trying these say they usually skate 101-103a and mostly do smooth California park skating. I don't think prestine SoCal park/spot skaters are the people who will benefit from these.

It seems like I've heard 3 perspectives 1) they are fine 2) nose/tail slides are sticky but rest are fine 3) pinched grinds are sticky but rest are fine.

Again though, if this is coming from people who usually skate Bones 103a, then of course it's going to feel "stickier", so would F4 99a.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5075 on: June 16, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Did you buy them from kam at the skate one forums?

I was really surprised when I went to those forums today and found a bunch of information that I hadn't seen on SLAP at all. Like the fact that they are or were selling the prototypes. And those RKP trucks are indeed a prototype truck that Powell is testing.
[close]

There are other worlds than SLAP.

There's no other skate forum where a gossip thread about Tyshawn Jones turns into a conversation about cast iron within one page though.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5076 on: June 16, 2022, 05:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@off back a few pages:

[close]

Yeah "regular" in quotes is exactly what I was thinking too. It seems like all these YouTube vloggers trying these say they usually skate 101-103a and mostly do smooth California park skating. I don't think prestine SoCal park/spot skaters are the people who will benefit from these.

It seems like I've heard 3 perspectives 1) they are fine 2) nose/tail slides are sticky but rest are fine 3) pinched grinds are sticky but rest are fine.

Again though, if this is coming from people who usually skate Bones 103a, then of course it's going to feel "stickier", so would F4 99a.

Put me in the #3 camp. Sticky on pinch crooks but fine for everything else. I think it might be technique, too. And of course, going too slow.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

chinotto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5077 on: June 16, 2022, 09:55:01 PM »
I know this thread is now all about the new bones formula, I'm definitely ordering it to try but I just tried the new ricta crystal cores 95a which is ricta's attempt to make an all-terrain wheel and I think they very much succeeded at that. It feels harder than my spitfire tablets f4 99a and slides almost just as good but at the same time they eat cracks, rough ground and pebbles like a soft wheel would. They keep their speed on crust and feel super smooth in the park. Also, they drastically reduced the amount of pushing in the park compared to spitfire f4 99. I also have oj nomads and the rictas are definitely better than those. Anyone compared the new bones formula and rictas 95a?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5078 on: June 16, 2022, 10:37:26 PM »
Please stop quoting that thumbnail I can‘t browse this thread anymore.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5079 on: June 16, 2022, 10:49:56 PM »
Please stop quoting that thumbnail I can‘t browse this thread anymore.

😯⚙️↙️

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #5080 on: June 17, 2022, 06:41:42 AM »

They slide fine, I did a bunch of front tails on a shitty rough ledge yesterday and a couple of lipslides.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5081 on: June 21, 2022, 05:35:54 PM »
I'm jumping on the new Bones hype train.

Asked for a set of the 93A, they tossed in a set of 90A as well.  Both of my sets are cored.

Tested em at my flat ground spot which has both a smooth concrete patio and crusty east coast asphalt.

The 90A set is definitely a little too soft for an everyday all around use but definitely wanna try them at the DIY which is very crusty. They roll very well even on smooth concrete but they FEEL soft. They powerslide better than you'd think they would. I could do backside 180 reverts pretty easily.

The 93A however are amazing for every day all surfaces so far. On the smooth concrete they rolled and felt very similar to F4 99A.  On the asphalt they felt more along the lines the 97A spits or maybe slightly harder NFG 95A. Not quite as cushioned ride wise but in how they held speed.  They felt equally as good on both surfaces and they powerslide and revert like a hard wheel.

Gonna test both of them at the DIY spot hopefully this week for some grinds and slides plus serious crust.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #5082 on: June 21, 2022, 06:08:09 PM »
The 93A however are amazing for every day all surfaces so far. On the smooth concrete they rolled and felt very similar to F4 99A.  On the asphalt they felt more along the lines the 97A spits or maybe slightly harder NFG 95A. Not quite as cushioned ride wise but in how they held speed.  They felt equally as good on both surfaces and they powerslide and revert like a hard wheel.

finally the comparison i was waiting for! thanks for the write up

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #5083 on: June 21, 2022, 06:29:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

finally the comparison i was waiting for! thanks for the write up

No problem I was surprised I hadn't heard any NFG comparisons yet honestly.

I don't have enough time on the 93A ones yet to know for sure if they will be my all the time wheel or if I will keep around a hard and a soft set and switch up.  Those NFG 95A are such a good crust wheel but I could never ride them at a smooth park. Early signs are I could run these 93A ones anywhere and not feel shorted.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5084 on: June 21, 2022, 07:05:48 PM »
Yeah, your F4 comparisons are spot on (I haven't rode NFG myself though).

The 93a are definitely good enough for park. Like you said, I don't "feel shorted". They're the same as how F4 99a feels at parks, except they are able to prevent slip outs better.

Let me put it this way: they are basically normal F4 99a wheels, that make it so you don't need a second pair of wheels for crust or transportation. Which in turn... frees up you being able to have an optional set of some niche park-only wheels like STF 103a, or some SPF 84a if you want (for extra speed), but its not necessary. If you're fine with how fast 99a wheels are, then you will be fine with these. If you like having something harder than 99a at parks, then get a set of park wheels to go with these.

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #5085 on: June 21, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
Yeah, your F4 comparisons are spot on (I haven't rode NFG myself though).

The 93a are definitely good enough for park. Like you said, I don't "feel shorted". They're the same as how F4 99a feels at parks, except they are able to prevent slip outs better.

Let me put it this way: they are basically normal F4 99a wheels, that make it so you don't need a second pair of wheels for crust or transportation. Which in turn... frees up you being able to have an optional set of some niche park-only wheels like STF 103a, or some SPF 84a if you want (for extra speed), but its not necessary. If you're fine with how fast 99a wheels are, then you will be fine with these. If you like having something harder than 99a at parks, then get a set of park wheels to go with these.

I don't think I'll have time to hit the park till next week but everything you've said in past posts has lined up directly with my experience so far.  So I'm expecting them to do feel great at the park. I like F4 99A at the local. 

These wheels are something special for sure.

Curious about the 95a version too, will probably grab a retail set. I have too many wheels as is now haha

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5086 on: June 21, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
So when am I going to be able to buy these magic wheels!?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5087 on: June 21, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »

technically, right now - here's the thread people have mentioned too https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/4276/new-formula-new-hardness-90a-93a-95a

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I skated the new Bones wheels today. The 93a's in 52mm handled varying degrees of blown-out rustbelt crust with surprising ease. My feet felt comfy and I pushed less to maintain the same amount of speed as 99a F4s. They also slide very well. Spitfire has a real problem on their hands. I don't see myself going back to F4s, and I previously felt they were the pinnacle of urethane. I'm amazed a 52mm skates so well around here.
[close]

Hey…where did you get these wheels? They are not on the Powell website. As for softer wheels, it is amazing how fast my Bones Rough Riders are. I am definitely sold on Bones/Powell Peralta for all my 93a-80a wheel needs.
[close]

Email [email protected]

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5088 on: June 21, 2022, 09:35:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

technically, right now - here's the thread people have mentioned too https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/4276/new-formula-new-hardness-90a-93a-95a

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Email [email protected]

[close]

97a / 54mm are also available. Just have to ask.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5089 on: June 21, 2022, 11:05:18 PM »
Kam sent me six sets of wheels via next day delivery. 90’s, 93’s, and 95’s. I got 52’s because that’s what I like to ride for hard wheels. Some are in that Bones white color, and the others are the natural urethane color. So far I’ve only tried the super white ones. I’m not sure if there’s a difference in feeling between the different urethane colors

On regular street ground they’re fast and can slide with a little effort. I could push through tailslides and noseslides, but they’ve been a little less forgiving if your technique isn’t perfect and you catch a wheel as you’re locking in. Sometimes they stopped sliding mid trick but I think that’s because I didn’t try to push through the whole slide

They don’t have that slow feeling that softer wheels usually have on super smooth ground. I thought the NFG crust formula felt a little slow, but they more than made up for it by still being skateable on shitty ground. I think I would choose the Bones if I had to make a choice between them. So far the 93’s are sort of close to what I was looking for in the formula. The 95’s could be the ticket though

It looks like some people have the opinion that they skate like a 99a. Maybe I’m a dipshit but they almost feel like a semi harder wheel being a better street skating version of a softer wheel
fuck you bama

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5090 on: June 22, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
I emailed the dude about the Bones wheels, here's what he said in case it's of interest to anyone else:

"I am out of the wheels in the new formula in V1 and V4 shapes in all sizes.  All I have left are the experimental wheels with hubs which will not be produced. We chose the regular non hub wheels for final production.

If you want to try those out I have:
52mm in 90A, 93A, and 95A.
54mm in 90A, 93A, 95A, and 97A.
56mm in 90A and 93A."

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5091 on: June 22, 2022, 01:32:00 PM »
I got some of the 90, 93 and 95 with hubs and the 93 with no hubs.

90 hubs feel good rolling and are grippy. 93 hubs are surprisingly slippery (which I love) on black top but grip on brick and other surfaces, feel like a harder wheel in rolling. 95 hubs feel hard, are grippier than the 93 and feel like a harder wheel (maybe closer to 99).

The 93 with no hubs are my favorites. They feel softer than the 99 or 97 spots I’ve tried, and are slightly grippier than the 93 hubs, but break into a nice icy slide, much like 99 F4’s. These work fine on ledges for nose/tail slides and crooked grinds. Haven’t tried any bluntslide because there is only one place on earth I can get even close to anything blunt-wise and I have been there this week.

All the wheels feel as fast as the 99 F4’s I usually skate. So far, both the 93’s I’ve tried are fantastic though the hubs seem less versatile.

Will report back once I’ve put more time in on them.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5092 on: June 22, 2022, 02:43:57 PM »
excuse my ignorance

dafuq are wheels with hubs? they have cores??

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5093 on: June 22, 2022, 02:59:28 PM »
I feel like it's such a mess they're releasing the new formula in four different durometers. Isn't that kind of bad business practice? It's confusing and a lot of people will give them a single chance, buy the wrong durometer and then just dismiss them.
Really want to try them but no idea which ones will be it. This leads me to wait until there are many legit reviews to finally make a decision, but maybe just never get them at all. I need a three hour Ben Degros breakdown of every durometer in every size.

And THANK YOU Sundaynuggets for finally talking about how they crook. So many people already got the wheels and not one of them did a crooked grind? Almost like people on slap don't actually skate...

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5094 on: June 22, 2022, 03:05:51 PM »
I feel like it's such a mess they're releasing the new formula in four different durometers. Isn't that kind of bad business practice? It's confusing and a lot of people will give them a single chance, buy the wrong durometer and then just dismiss them.
Really want to try them but no idea which ones will be it. This leads me to wait until there are many legit reviews to finally make a decision, but maybe just never get them at all. I need a three hour Ben Degros breakdown of every durometer in every size.

And THANK YOU Sundaynuggets for finally talking about how they crook. So many people already got the wheels and not one of them did a crooked grind? Almost like people on slap don't actually skate...

to be fair, these aren't officially on the market yet and i don't think they are releasing all of these different ones at the end of the day. more that they made a bunch of test product in different duro's and core/notcore to test things out and get feedback. but i do get what you're saying

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5095 on: June 22, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
Yeah, wheels with hubs are wheels with cores.

I've tried the 93A and 95A without the hubs/cores.

93A is the most versatile wheel I've personally come across.

I was tripping on some LSD recently and was gonna skate to the curb spot since there was no way I could drive. Had the dilemma of do I use soft wheels and have a limited session, or hard wheels have my teeth vibrate on the way to the spot. Put on the 93A's that day and holy fuck I felt like I'd discovered the best all-around wheel.

These things are easier to slide than the bones 99A, but they also grip when you need them to. They don't really make sense. They don't stick on crooks, tailslides, or noseslides either.

The drawback on the 93A I personally found was they were feeling slightly sluggish at the skatepark.

Then I tried the 95A's w/ no hub and found they handle crust just as well as the 93A. The 95A don't feel sluggish at all on smooth skatepark concrete. For me, these are the perfect wheel. No sticking on crooks, tailslides, noseslides and they slide easily. The 95A's are like the "I'm gonna throw these on my setup and skate wherever without worrying about changing my shit" kind of wheel.

The only downside to these were that the wheels came treaded, but it was easy to wear it down pretty quick.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:32:28 PM by GetItStraitRideKrooked »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5096 on: June 22, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
Just got some 52mm, 54mm 93a with hubs

Sadly they were out of the hubless ones.

Everyones saying the ones with no hubs are slightly better, but exactly how? All I've read is that it seems to feel a little softer without the hubs, but how about actual performance? Any advantages to the hubs at all?

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #5097 on: June 22, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »

Everyones saying the ones with no hubs are slightly better, but exactly how? All I've read is that it seems to feel a little softer without the hubs, but how about actual performance? Any advantages to the hubs at all?

I’ve had a couple cruiser wheels with hubs that the wheel fell off the hub. Probably not as likely on harder wheels but I just feel like it’s not having the mental block that it might happen where hubless has the advantage.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5098 on: June 22, 2022, 05:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve had a couple cruiser wheels with hubs that the wheel fell off the hub. Probably not as likely on harder wheels but I just feel like it’s not having the mental block that it might happen where hubless has the advantage.

Powell does a lot of shear force testing to see how well the urethane bonds to the cores, I don’t think ripping off is a problem. But I imaging the harder cores means the vibrations travel more efficiently to the board, whereas a non-hubbed wheel might dampen it a bit more.

I’m ordering some 90a and 93as myself.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5099 on: June 22, 2022, 07:03:56 PM »
I got some of the 90, 93 and 95 with hubs and the 93 with no hubs.

90 hubs feel good rolling and are grippy. 93 hubs are surprisingly slippery (which I love) on black top but grip on brick and other surfaces, feel like a harder wheel in rolling. 95 hubs feel hard, are grippier than the 93 and feel like a harder wheel (maybe closer to 99).

The 93 with no hubs are my favorites. They feel softer than the 99 or 97 spots I’ve tried, and are slightly grippier than the 93 hubs, but break into a nice icy slide, much like 99 F4’s. These work fine on ledges for nose/tail slides and crooked grinds. Haven’t tried any bluntslide because there is only one place on earth I can get even close to anything blunt-wise and I have been there this week.

All the wheels feel as fast as the 99 F4’s I usually skate. So far, both the 93’s I’ve tried are fantastic though the hubs seem less versatile.

Will report back once I’ve put more time in on them.

Thanks for sharing!

That hubbed and non hubbed comparison of the 93a gives me some hope for the unhubbed 95a... But I don't see myself switching off of the unhubbed 93a unless I move to a different part of the country.