Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777963 times)

europa1991 (+ 2 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5100 on: June 22, 2022, 07:20:26 PM »
I feel like it's such a mess they're releasing the new formula in four different durometers. Isn't that kind of bad business practice? It's confusing and a lot of people will give them a single chance, buy the wrong durometer and then just dismiss them.
Really want to try them but no idea which ones will be it. This leads me to wait until there are many legit reviews to finally make a decision, but maybe just never get them at all. I need a three hour Ben Degros breakdown of every durometer in every size.

And THANK YOU Sundaynuggets for finally talking about how they crook. So many people already got the wheels and not one of them did a crooked grind? Almost like people on slap don't actually skate...

I agree. I really think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot and burry the 93a with all of this extra saturation of product. People are going to spread the word of mouth "oh I tried that formula and they aren't very good" after trying the 97a... When that person should have bought 93a in the first place.

Trust me when I say the 93a are like the "thesis" of what this formula is about. It's essentially a wheel that feels like 99a wheel tackles rough stuff like a softer wheel would, but slides well. They don't give a fuck about pebbles or shitty roads. Everyone should start with those IMO. It's the definitive duro of the formula. A true all terrain wheel.

The 90a is a cruiser wheel, straight up. You can do tricks with them, but it's going to feel like a cruiser wheel that can slide. A pretty niche wheel.

The 95a and 97a (with the hub cores) just sort of seem like they "didn't understand the assignment". They vibrated like crazy like really really hard wheels... And really struggled with sidewalk cracks, sticks, pebbles. I think they will struggle with that less without the cores... They are really really fast wheels and maintain speed better than other really hard wheels... They grip pretty well... But they just feel a bit strange. They are REALLY fun to revert on... But feel a bit more gimmicky, while the 93a feels like a new evolution of wheels (without feeling too different from other wheels).

I hope that all makes sense.

Also yeah, I've always been trash at grinds, but especially now that I don't have a driveway with my own grindbox to practice on anymore. Sorry I haven't been able to help with describing the grinds.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #5101 on: June 22, 2022, 07:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel like it's such a mess they're releasing the new formula in four different durometers. Isn't that kind of bad business practice? It's confusing and a lot of people will give them a single chance, buy the wrong durometer and then just dismiss them.
Really want to try them but no idea which ones will be it. This leads me to wait until there are many legit reviews to finally make a decision, but maybe just never get them at all. I need a three hour Ben Degros breakdown of every durometer in every size.

And THANK YOU Sundaynuggets for finally talking about how they crook. So many people already got the wheels and not one of them did a crooked grind? Almost like people on slap don't actually skate...
[close]

I agree. I really think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot and burry the 93a with all of this extra saturation of product. People are going to spread the word of mouth "oh I tried that formula and they aren't very good" after trying the 97a... When that person should have bought 93a in the first place.

Trust me when I say the 93a are like the "thesis" of what this formula is about. It's essentially a wheel that feels like 99a wheel tackles rough stuff like a softer wheel would, but slides well. They don't give a fuck about pebbles or shitty roads. Everyone should start with those IMO. It's the definitive duro of the formula. A true all terrain wheel.

The 90a is a cruiser wheel, straight up. You can do tricks with them, but it's going to feel like a cruiser wheel that can slide. A pretty niche wheel.

The 95a and 97a (with the hub cores) just sort of seem like they "didn't understand the assignment". They vibrated like crazy like really really hard wheels... And really struggled with sidewalk cracks, sticks, pebbles. I think they will struggle with that less without the cores... They are really really fast wheels and maintain speed better than other really hard wheels... They grip pretty well... But they just feel a bit strange. They are REALLY fun to revert on... But feel a bit more gimmicky, while the 93a feels like a new evolution of wheels (without feeling too different from other wheels).

Also yeah, I've always been trash at grinds, but especially now that I don't have a driveway with my own grindbox to practice on anymore. Sorry I haven't been able to help with describing the grinds.

Yeah I'm curious how they handle release and marketing.
Do they actually push them as 93A etc or do they say 93A/99A?

Because without really trying them or knowing about them you wouldn't know they feel +6 on the hardness scale when riding.

Most people will see 93A and immediately say that's way too soft.

skateviewer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5102 on: June 23, 2022, 06:18:12 AM »
personally i don't see any issue with the multiple formulas re:market confusion at this point. if you have to email and talk to someone at the company to even get the wheels (when they're in stock) that means they're still testing and may only move forward with the most enjoyed wheels from the range.

i was able to work out some shipping to canada with kam and although they aren't here yet i'm looking forward to trying the 93 as an only wheel.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5103 on: June 23, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »
excuse my ignorance

dafuq are wheels with hubs? they have cores??

Yup, cores

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5104 on: June 23, 2022, 07:58:17 AM »
Just got some 52mm, 54mm 93a with hubs

Sadly they were out of the hubless ones.

Everyones saying the ones with no hubs are slightly better, but exactly how? All I've read is that it seems to feel a little softer without the hubs, but how about actual performance? Any advantages to the hubs at all?

The main difference I noticed in the 93 hub vs no hub was that the hubs power slide maybe 20% more easily on black top than the non hubs, but grip like crazy on other surfaces like brick (oddly enough) whereas the non hubs slide nicely on black top, brick and other surfaces they should slide on. The shape is different too. The hub wheels are shaped like the Powell cruiser wheels (like the Gslides and the rough riders) and the non hubs are shaped more like normal street wheels (I guess fairly close to f4 conical full shape). The 93 hubs are also a brown urethane color whereas the non hub 93 are white.

Bear in mind that this is all from one day each of usage. I’ve noticed that some Powell wheels (specifically the g slides) lose all of their slide after a few sessions, so I’m not sure how these will feel in a week. Hope that helps some!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #5105 on: June 23, 2022, 09:00:57 AM »
personally i don't see any issue with the multiple formulas re:market confusion at this point. if you have to email and talk to someone at the company to even get the wheels (when they're in stock) that means they're still testing and may only move forward with the most enjoyed wheels from the range.

i was able to work out some shipping to canada with kam and although they aren't here yet i'm looking forward to trying the 93 as an only wheel.

Yeah, this is the smallest niche of the smallest niche market of hardcore skate nerds. No one outside of a handful of people will know about this. They’ll have && out there promoting the new wheels and all the 50+ year olds with Flight Decks are gonna snatch them up.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5106 on: June 23, 2022, 09:52:51 AM »
As someone who partakes in slappies, these wheels could open up a lot of new spots otherwise unskatable; let alone manuals and just regular skating.

Cored wheels these days are fine...Autobahn, Ricta, and now Snot...you get a mix of duros that can really tweak a wheels riding characteristics (hard wheel performance for tricks, softer wheel feel for uneven terrain and vice versa); you also get an even bearing seat (hopefully). I'm not discrediting anyone, but I wouldn't think that Hub vs. no Hub would have any characteristics on speed of slides (feel yes) but rather the urethane used.

Good on PP for taking the most liked versions and going forward to market with them and not pushing an agenda or whatever, good R&D.

I'm still in for a set of 97a as I always prefer the harder wheel feel and performance but wouldn't mind a reduced tooth chatter.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5107 on: June 23, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
As someone who partakes in slappies, these wheels could open up a lot of new spots otherwise unskatable; let alone manuals and just regular skating.

Cored wheels these days are fine...Autobahn, Ricta, and now Snot...you get a mix of duros that can really tweak a wheels riding characteristics (hard wheel performance for tricks, softer wheel feel for uneven terrain and vice versa); you also get an even bearing seat (hopefully). I'm not discrediting anyone, but I wouldn't think that Hub vs. no Hub would have any characteristics on speed of slides (feel yes) but rather the urethane used.

Good on PP for taking the most liked versions and going forward to market with them and not pushing an agenda or whatever, good R&D.

I'm still in for a set of 97a as I always prefer the harder wheel feel and performance but wouldn't mind a reduced tooth chatter.

To be clear (at least from my ones with hubs) the 97 and 95 do NOT reduce teeth chatter. They have the same teeth chatter, but maintain more speed while you vibrate like crazy.

This is why I like the 93a... It does not shake you up (again, like about a 98a wheel in that regard). I could see the 95a without a core being alright... But if getting rid of that chatter is your goal, the 97a might be too hard for you?

The 97a (hub) had the teeth chatter of a 103a (maybe harder even, I didn't have a 1:1 comparison). Even pretty smooth ground rattled with those hubs at 97a. However they were fast as hell, gripped well, and maintained speed on rough road. But got absolutely fucked up by pebbles and sidewalk cracks.

Gotta hear what people say about those higher duros without hubs... But don't expect it to vibrate way less than the duro it "feels like". It vibrates like the "feels like" duro... But maintains speed l over that vibrating like like a softer wheel.

If you're in SoCal or something it might work, but if you're somewhere where 103a is too hard... maybe start with 95a no hubs, and go from there?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:13:23 AM by FuzzGNU »

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5108 on: June 23, 2022, 05:07:23 PM »

The 93A however are amazing for every day all surfaces so far. On the smooth concrete they rolled and felt very similar to F4 99A.  On the asphalt they felt more along the lines the 97A spits or maybe slightly harder NFG 95A. Not quite as cushioned ride wise but in how they held speed.  They felt equally as good on both surfaces and they powerslide and revert like a hard wheel.

So want to amend or expand on this a little.

Took the 93A set to the DIY today as well as my set of NFG 95A for a direct comparison. The NFGs are their square shape, dunno Bones shape names for shit but it's essentially the same shape.

The Bones wheels were faster, held speed better, slid better all of this despite being 52mm vs 54mm on the NFG. There is a metal box there that when doing 50-50s you can feel softer wheels really grab even the NFGs.  The Bones wheels did not grab at all.

The NFGs definitely mellowed out the vibrations more on shitty ground so if that's your main concern the NFGs still feel better in that regard.  I wanna test the 90a Bones here soon as they may dampen the vibrations to the same level and perform better than the NFGs still.

Before this the NFGs were basically untouchable to me on this surface and are still excellent wheels.

Absolutely blown away by these wheels so far. Smooth concrete park review hopefully Monday

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5109 on: June 23, 2022, 06:04:11 PM »
I like hard wheels, how they slide and sound. A hard wheel that still feels hard but will get me over the chunky is fine with me!

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5110 on: June 23, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
Here's my Bones new formula essay, I'm not sure if all the test samples they send out are the same quality cause my experience is a bit different from the previous posts.

I got 4 sets: 3 sets of 52mm hub wheels (square shape kinda like tablets) and one set no hub V1 95a 54mm. So far I’ve tried 95a V1 54mm vs 95a hub 52mm vs 95a ricta crystal cores 53mm for a 95a comparison.

Bones 95a no hub feels primarily like a soft wheel but they have all the characteristics of a hard wheel like no bounce, fast speed, and a great slide, except they’re silent on smooth concrete to the extent that it was messing with my brain and i was expecting them to be sticky all the time which wasn’t the case but i had to fight my brain on that. They slide better than any wheel I’ve ever had and don’t stick on grinds. Hard to get used to them being so silent and smooth but the slide is phenomenal but again almost silent.

Bones 95a hub feels kind of like 99a f4 maybe a bit softer. Feels more like a normal wheel to me so I preferred that. BUT they slide worse than the no hub version, like noticeably both control and initiation are harder than even ricta 95a/f4 99a. Ricta are about as hard to initiate a slide as f4 99a but control is easier. So in terms of slideability, I would put them in this order: Bones 95a no hub => f4 99a/ricta 95a (these are close to a tie in my opinion) => bones hub 95a. I don't want to try these in the park because I know 4 sure they'll be sticky on grinds.

Speed: Both bones hub and no hub versions are faster than f4 on any surface but ricta is faster than all of them on smooth concrete. On crusty asphalt bones 95a no hub are super fast, pretty much like my ricta clouds 78a. Then goes the hub version and then ricta 95a. Ricta although way better than F4 still struggles with keeping speed on really crusty asphalt. F4 are worse on crusty asphalt than all the above

I’m not sure if I want to keep riding 95a hub version because of the inferior slide but I’m going to try 93a hub and see how it compares. If I’m able to get used to the silence of 95a no hub then I’ll keep riding those if it still keeps bugging me I’ll go back to ricta or try the 97a bones or ricta speedrings 95a.

Of all the wheels I mentioned ricta 95a are the loudest and hardest feeling wheels.

I had no issues with small rocks with all of them except f4 99a I only get ejected on those.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5111 on: June 23, 2022, 10:46:05 PM »
Here's my Bones new formula essay, I'm not sure if all the test samples they send out are the same quality cause my experience is a bit different from the previous posts.

I got 4 sets: 3 sets of 52mm hub wheels (square shape kinda like tablets) and one set no hub V1 95a 54mm. So far I’ve tried 95a V1 54mm vs 95a hub 52mm vs 95a ricta crystal cores 53mm for a 95a comparison.

Bones 95a no hub feels primarily like a soft wheel but they have all the characteristics of a hard wheel like no bounce, fast speed, and a great slide, except they’re silent on smooth concrete to the extent that it was messing with my brain and i was expecting them to be sticky all the time which wasn’t the case but i had to fight my brain on that. They slide better than any wheel I’ve ever had and don’t stick on grinds. Hard to get used to them being so silent and smooth but the slide is phenomenal but again almost silent.

Bones 95a hub feels kind of like 99a f4 maybe a bit softer. Feels more like a normal wheel to me so I preferred that. BUT they slide worse than the no hub version, like noticeably both control and initiation are harder than even ricta 95a/f4 99a. Ricta are about as hard to initiate a slide as f4 99a but control is easier. So in terms of slideability, I would put them in this order: Bones 95a no hub => f4 99a/ricta 95a (these are close to a tie in my opinion) => bones hub 95a. I don't want to try these in the park because I know 4 sure they'll be sticky on grinds.

Speed: Both bones hub and no hub versions are faster than f4 on any surface but ricta is faster than all of them on smooth concrete. On crusty asphalt bones 95a no hub are super fast, pretty much like my ricta clouds 78a. Then goes the hub version and then ricta 95a. Ricta although way better than F4 still struggles with keeping speed on really crusty asphalt. F4 are worse on crusty asphalt than all the above

I’m not sure if I want to keep riding 95a hub version because of the inferior slide but I’m going to try 93a hub and see how it compares. If I’m able to get used to the silence of 95a no hub then I’ll keep riding those if it still keeps bugging me I’ll go back to ricta or try the 97a bones or ricta speedrings 95a.

Of all the wheels I mentioned ricta 95a are the loudest and hardest feeling wheels.

I had no issues with small rocks with all of them except f4 99a I only get ejected on those.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I definitely had more problems with initiating power slides with the 97a hubbed and 95a hubbed than I did with the unhubbed 93a.

Seems like the hubs are a no-go for their formula (maybe it works for the 90a?).

Glad to hear the 95a are still fast without the hub. I will definitely have to give those a try. If the 97a without the hub can handle rocks and cracks, that would be a fun wheel to try, because those things were really fast.

chinotto

« Reply #5112 on: June 24, 2022, 09:19:41 PM »
Seems like the hubs are a no-go for their formula (maybe it works for the 90a?).

I haven't tried 90a yet but I tried the 93a with a hub for a few minutes today, took them off, and put ricta back on, and right away it felt like home, like a normal hard wheel. 93a with a hub feels just a bit softer than 95a with a hub and slides worse. I think all of the new bones that I've tried are too soft of a feel for me to ride at a skatepark even though, the no hubs slide phenomenally well and don't stick, I'm just not a fan of how it feels to ride on smooth concrete. It works well on crust though. I want to still try 97a, maybe that one is the goldilocks wheel.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #5113 on: June 25, 2022, 09:08:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't tried 90a yet but I tried the 93a with a hub for a few minutes today, took them off, and put ricta back on, and right away it felt like home, like a normal hard wheel. 93a with a hub feels just a bit softer than 95a with a hub and slides worse. I think all of the new bones that I've tried are too soft of a feel for me to ride at a skatepark even though, the no hubs slide phenomenally well and don't stick, I'm just not a fan of how it feels to ride on smooth concrete. It works well on crust though. I want to still try 97a, maybe that one is the goldilocks wheel.

I doubt the intended purpose of these wheels is smooth southern California skatepark concrete. These are for crust. I also don't see how a hub would impact how well a wheel slides with the same urethane, as the hub isn't making contact with the riding surface. The 93a with or without hubs feels the exact same for me.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

chinotto

« Reply #5114 on: June 25, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
Maybe the quality of the pre-production samples is inconsistent. The 95a with no hub and the ones with a hub feel completely different to slide. I even messaged Kam to make sure it was the same formula, he said it was the same one. I'm from Miami and we have a fair share of crusty ground here, I'm trying to find a wheel that I will enjoy riding on any surface.... also we all have personal preferences, my ideal wheel would be a hard-feeling wheel that goes over cracks with ease and keeps its speed on crusty ground absorbing a little bit of the vibrations, and slides as well as f4 or better. I don't care for it to be super smooth. I like ricta cause it does most of this this but it doesn't keep the speed as well as bones 95a no hub on the crusty ground and doesn't slide as well (although it slides just fine). Bones 95a no hub is good on the street but feels too soft (for me) at the park (which I ride the most), but it doesn't mean it's bad, it works quite well. I think everyone needs to try these to make their own opinion.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5115 on: June 25, 2022, 10:17:41 AM »
Maybe the quality of the pre-production samples is inconsistent. The 95a with no hub and the ones with a hub feel completely different to slide. I even messaged Kam to make sure it was the same formula, he said it was the same one. I'm from Miami and we have a fair share of crusty ground here, I'm trying to find a wheel that I will enjoy riding on any surface.... also we all have personal preferences, my ideal wheel would be a hard-feeling wheel that goes over cracks with ease and keeps its speed on crusty ground absorbing a little bit of the vibrations, and slides as well as f4 or better. I don't care for it to be super smooth. I like ricta cause it does most of this this but it doesn't keep the speed as well as bones 95a no hub on the crusty ground and doesn't slide as well (although it slides just fine). Bones 95a no hub is good on the street but feels too soft (for me) at the park (which I ride the most), but it doesn't mean it's bad, it works quite well. I think everyone needs to try these to make their own opinion.

That’s something I haven’t considered. I didn’t mean to come off argumentative, but rereading my previous post, I kinda give that vibe. Apologies.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5116 on: June 25, 2022, 11:18:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I doubt the intended purpose of these wheels is smooth southern California skatepark concrete. These are for crust. I also don't see how a hub would impact how well a wheel slides with the same urethane, as the hub isn't making contact with the riding surface. The 93a with or without hubs feels the exact same for me.

It's because this formula relies on vibration for it's slides. The hard hub is somehow interfering with how the formula is supposed to to vibrate.

I'm not going to pretend I know the exact details... But it's clear as day that the hubs are interfering with the slide (especially initiation) on the harder durometers.

My understanding of physics involving vibrations is only limited to music. The different durometers are going to be vibrating at different frequencies (the harder wheels are more high pitched when they slide for example). The hub also has it's own physics properties and tendency to vibrate or not.

I could see somehow the way the hubs work (I know they are "bonded" to the wheel in some way) is that the hub is somehow preventing or cancelling out that vibration.

For example, how "active sound cancelling" headphones work is they use a microphone to play frequencies in your ears that are equal and opposite to the sounds around you: eliminating those frequencies.

The hub could also work something like a guitar capo and sort of restrict the vibrations from properly happening.

I could see that the hard hub sort of "digs" into the soft eurethane in a way that counteracts your power slide initiation attempts. It seems the biggest problem with the hubs is the slide initiation... So this last one could be a major issue.

I'm not going to pretend I know, but physics has so many variables, it's not outlandish that it might affect things in a negative way for our specific skateboarding purposes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 11:34:23 AM by FuzzGNU »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #5117 on: June 25, 2022, 11:55:44 AM »
New gold wheels are pretty sick. Also looks like Ryan gallant and Marcus McBride are involved

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfPLMKmpgjD/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5118 on: June 25, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hubs give the urethane more structure, it’s like a skeleton for the wheel.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5119 on: June 25, 2022, 01:31:37 PM »
I got an order of the new Bones and I'm in love with the 56mm 93a V6 without the hub. These things don't make sense to me, they roll over crappy ground better and faster than the 58mm 97a CF Spits I had before yet powerslide like my buddy's 103 STFs. Unlike most in this thread my local park is one of those glass smooth California parks (I'm in the Central Valley so amazing skatepark but shitty heat destroyed streets) and on the first session for the first 15-20 mins they felt a little slippery but broke in great. After a beer run midway through the sesh and wearing off some of that new wheel slickness, these things gripped amazing but break into the best slide I've ever felt (easy to initiate and extremely controllable). I do a lot of slappy's and ledge skating and had no issue with grinds or slides and actually found that they slide better than most traditional hard wheels. The last thing that really struck me was that my flatground just felt overall better somehow but I'll chalk that up to going from 58mm CF Spits to a smaller lighter wheel. Overall the 56mm V6 93s are my dream wheel and I'm excited to pick up a couple production sets when they come out.

*Little side note, I asked specifically for bigger wheels and got 2 free sets of hubbed prototypes, 56mm 90a and 56mm 93a. Real quick on those:

56mm 90a Hubbed-Smooth and fast cruiser wheels, ate bad ground like it was nothing but you have to put a lot into them to slide. If you like key frames, these are a faster+easier to slide equivalent.

56mm 93a Hubbed- I've only had 1 session on these but they feel very similar to the non hubbed version except because of the shape and weight they're not as fun for an everyday wheel, however they roll over crust even better than the V6 shape. Will be throwing these on a big shaped board as a fun secondary slappy/hill bombing set up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5120 on: June 25, 2022, 06:28:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please don't take this as a dig.

You don't like the 97a (every post that mentions them you make call them out, and that's fine if they don't work for you), however, they might be the BEST wheel for a large minority based on market mindshare...i.e., hard wheels good, super soft wheels bad. They have an uphill battle with the 93a/95a especially with it being a new formula using a numerical scale people are USED to; I hardly skate 99s, it has to be real crusty for me to jump down to them, 101/103s 99.9999% of the time, hence why *I* am eyeing the 97a.

They ditched the HUB based on tester feedback. Perhaps they'll ditch one of the duros(?) or cut one/two from the 'Bones branding' (90a/93a and slap them on the powell side); they picked the odd duck duros for a reason: They are 'close enough' to what people expect them to be based on duro number (and perhaps they skate like they should, I don't know). Still, that many duros so close will be confusing, especially the 93/95...how different could 2 duro be (average person shopping for wheels mind you)? the average end user will never know they are very different (based on what you've written) or different enough to bother. If I wasn't a slapper, I'd go 95 over a 93.

Their biggest hurdal? Convincing people 93a is a good choice. Based on everything we know, 90a 'street' wheels suck ballz, so a 93a would also because it's so close numerically based on current scales in use....not sure what you can do...you can use Soft Medium and Hard like the do with bushings.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5121 on: June 26, 2022, 07:18:15 AM »
Can anyone DM me the address of the PP guy?

Thinking of trying the 97a, are they available in V1 / V2 / V3 / V4? Thinking of trying the V3 54mm in 97a, skinny technical wheel that won't rattle my teeth loose pushing to the spot.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5122 on: June 26, 2022, 07:34:39 AM »

Thinking of trying the 97a, are they available in V1 / V2 / V3 / V4? Thinking of trying the V3 54mm in 97a, skinny technical wheel that won't rattle my teeth loose pushing to the spot.

I received 12 sets of the V1's. I'd also like to know if they're available in other shapes. V3 52mm 93a seems perfect for here with the skating I do.  :)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5123 on: June 26, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
When I emailed him it was I think cored only. But things could have changed. I’d love to get my hands on some 95a v6

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5124 on: June 26, 2022, 08:30:40 AM »
It sounds dumb but what’s the noise like oh those wheels?  When you tap them is it dead sounding?  When you slide do they screech?

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5125 on: June 26, 2022, 08:37:41 AM »
It sounds dumb but what’s the noise like oh those wheels?  When you tap them is it dead sounding?  When you slide do they screech?

The 93a have a little give to them in hand but they bark loud when sliding. I've noticed that when rolling there isn't much noise but they don't feel like cruiser wheels at all.

in flux

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5126 on: June 26, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
Interested in a lock 93a no hub. but I'll prob stick with 99 F4 tablets
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 01:37:57 PM by in flux »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5127 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:58 PM »
Went and skated some 52 90a Bones with the hubs. Usually I skate 99a f4s.

They’re definitely a soft cruiser wheel. The simplest way I’d describe it is a slightly harder keyframe that slides much much better. Haven’t had keyframes in a while but it felt kinda similar. They slide muchhhhh better though, in my book keyframes barely slide at all.

Skated one of my usual concrete ledge + curb spots, ground is a mix of semi smooth but grippy, chalky concrete and some weird rough concrete that powerslides well, then bombed an asphalt hill. They slide just fine on ledges, could hold nose/tail and even blunt slides on my usual ledge no problem. I imagine it might grip a bit more on metal coping though as softer wheels are more sensitive to gripping on that than on concrete ledges in my experience but I’m very impressed with how well they slide on this concrete ledge despite how soft it is. Also really easy to initiate power slides bombing hills and the slide feels nice and controlled despite being super quiet. I do think it gripped noticeably more than 99a f4s on crooked grinds etc and also pitch you harder if you wheelbite when landing.

They definitely have the slightly gummy, bouncy feeling and sound of a soft wheel though. So popping and landing does not feel anything like a hard wheel. While you definitely could skate these instead of a hard street wheel if you wanted to since they slide unlike almost every other cruiser wheel, unless the ground you’re skating is seriously fucked, I don’t see why you would because they still have the soft wheel feel that would throw most people off a bit when doing tricks. Though to be fair I don't skate anything rougher than slightly shitty asphalt or bricks, nothing that a 97a f4 couldn't handle with ease.

I definitely couldn't see myself adopting these on any main 'trick' setup despite skating rough ish street spots a fair amount. Basically the decrease in performance from rolling over shitty ground on say 99a f4s is not as significant as the decrease in performance from skating on these because they just feel really unusual to me. Thats definitely partially due to familiarity and conditioning but still...

Hard to judge speed, on really rough ground they’re obviously a lot smoother and hold speed better than really hard wheels but on smooth ish ground they’re probably not as good. I also ended up getting a piece of metal stuck in the wheel bombing a hill and so I guess they lasted a grand total of one session long so not sure about the durability. Willing to say it was just bad luck though

That aside, I think these would be a great cruiser wheel if you got them in a 56mm or so. Basically a much much much more skateable, keyframe style, not super super soft, cruiser wheel. Or if you want a separate setup for really crusty spots. Don’t really have need for it right now but I could definitely see myself getting these as cruiser wheels in the future in a bigger size.

Just set up the 52m 93as with hubs. Won’t be able to skate them properly for a few days, but pushed down the street and back. They’re definitely harder than the 90s and slide louder, but also much softer and quieter than even 97 f4s. Definitely what I imagine a true cruiser/street wheel hybrid would be. Whats weird is it felt more difficult to initiate a slide on these than the 90s. Took a bit more force than the cruisery wheel. I am very confused. Maybe its the hubs? But both my 90 and 93as have hubs. I hope that this doesn’t translate to issues when I next skate but I guess I’ll find out sometime this coming week.

edit:
Another thing these could be really good for is if you're a filmer that doesn't want to carry around two boards. If your main focus is on filming and you want a quieter setup but still don't want to miss out on doing tricks and skating at the spots.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:45:55 PM by tzhangdox »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5128 on: June 27, 2022, 12:27:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I received 12 sets of the V1's. I'd also like to know if they're available in other shapes. V3 52mm 93a seems perfect for here with the skating I do.  :)

Why on earth did you buy 12 sets? Considering they're almost out of a bunch of shapes that seems a bit egregious.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5129 on: June 27, 2022, 02:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Why on earth did you buy 12 sets? Considering they're almost out of a bunch of shapes that seems a bit egregious.

I bought 5 and Kam gave me 7 more for free. I've given away 3 sets so far and plan to give away more.