Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778040 times)

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5640 on: September 08, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
Expand Quote
OJs dual duro has entered the chat.

Looks like 101 outer duro and a 95 inner duro
[close]

These are interesting, I'm looking forward to potentially trying a set. I haven't ever liked OJ urethane though so I don't have very high hopes but it will still be cool to try. Wouldn't you want the harder durometer on the inside though? that way you can slide your wheel better for smith grinds and crooked grinds and all that. Perhaps I'll run them flipped inside out
I think you might be confused by their wording. The softer inner durometer refers to the core not the width

I tried a few sets of OJ Elite urethane wheels. EZ Edge’s(classic shape) and Mini Combos. They were Pretty good. I also tried a set of From Concentrate wheels and they might have been the single worst wheel I’ve ever skated. It felt like they would slow down mid push
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5641 on: September 08, 2022, 12:46:29 PM »
I remember Jaws testing some shock absorbing wheel for bones….I suspect it was similar….

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5642 on: September 08, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »
I can't slide the OJ 101 elites to save my life and I stick on everything.  They feel great rolling but I wish they could fix the slide

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5643 on: September 08, 2022, 02:41:33 PM »

Honestly seems like yet another gimmick from a third-rate wheel maker.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5644 on: September 08, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

These are interesting, I'm looking forward to potentially trying a set. I haven't ever liked OJ urethane though so I don't have very high hopes but it will still be cool to try. Wouldn't you want the harder durometer on the inside though? that way you can slide your wheel better for smith grinds and crooked grinds and all that. Perhaps I'll run them flipped inside out
[close]
I think you might be confused by their wording. The softer inner durometer refers to the core not the width

I tried a few sets of OJ Elite urethane wheels. EZ Edge’s(classic shape) and Mini Combos. They were Pretty good. I also tried a set of From Concentrate wheels and they might have been the single worst wheel I’ve ever skated. It felt like they would slow down mid push

oh, I see. Nevermind then, I'm not interested in these anymore lol.

Yeah I've only ridden the standard OJ wheels, not the Elite or Insaneathane ones. I suppose I'll give those a try at some point

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5645 on: September 08, 2022, 06:41:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They have been rather disappointing overall, but I know some people really love their OJs - the good ones that is, not the cheap / pricepoint wheels.  Especially the older 60 / 61mm 95 / 97 duro versions, which are amazing wheels.

Funny thing is with the dual duro, it seemed like it worked way better the other way round, eg the core was harder so it kept the bearings aligned correctly, then the outer part you actually ride was softer, as per some old Spitfires I have and other wheels over the years, which work really well - inner being 101 or so and outer being 92, 95, 96 or 97 on various wheels.

Having a softer core means the bearings move in the wheels, which caused more issues than anything else with the softer wheel market.

That is just me with my own experiences though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5646 on: September 08, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »
I can't slide the OJ 101 elites to save my life and I stick on everything.  They feel great rolling but I wish they could fix the slide

Yup. You have to be going Mach 10 to get them sliding in the streets (Milton slides OJs like a boss). In a park setting, I'd choose them over SPFs any day for that grip...SPFs can be glassy,
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 06:57:57 PM by Xen »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5647 on: September 08, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »

I'm confused. I thought all modern wheels was dual duro.

That font is sick AF.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5648 on: September 08, 2022, 10:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

They have been rather disappointing overall, but I know some people really love their OJs - the good ones that is, not the cheap / pricepoint wheels.  Especially the older 60 / 61mm 95 / 97 duro versions, which are amazing wheels.

Funny thing is with the dual duro, it seemed like it worked way better the other way round, eg the core was harder so it kept the bearings aligned correctly, then the outer part you actually ride was softer, as per some old Spitfires I have and other wheels over the years, which work really well - inner being 101 or so and outer being 92, 95, 96 or 97 on various wheels.

Having a softer core means the bearings move in the wheels, which caused more issues than anything else with the softer wheel market.

That is just me with my own experiences though.

They need a triple duro
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5649 on: September 09, 2022, 12:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That font is sick AF.

Better shot of the core/shape.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #5650 on: September 09, 2022, 12:06:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup. You have to be going Mach 10 to get them sliding in the streets (Milton slides OJs like a boss). In a park setting, I'd choose them over SPFs any day for that grip...SPFs can be glassy,
i always found OJs to be pretty shit to slide outside of anywhere but a smooth park. in that setting they’re a pretty decent wheel, at least for transition. I can’t speak for flatbar/tech stuff

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5651 on: September 09, 2022, 05:34:46 AM »
I always want to try OJs but it definitely seems like the people that like them skate parks most the time or smooth streets. Seems like a very socal perfect streets type wheel so it don’t apply to me in the Midwest.

Also I’m curious how wearing these down will be. They turn into 95s?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5652 on: September 09, 2022, 06:29:04 AM »
I've been skating 56mm 99 and 60mm 95 Vee shape NFGs on a Polar P9 on ace 44s and a Dane 1 on Indy 149s and risers the last week or so. Have yet to take them to a park but they're very interesting on asphalt and sidewalks. Especially after only skating 99 F4 conical fulls basically since they came out.

These are big ol' wheels, and the contact patch is the entire width of the wheel.

They bark on a slide, and the 99s break into a slide way easier, but there's less control. I've yet to take a slam on a powerslide but I know it's coming. The one session I had at an actual spot I felt confident about back noseslides, which I was worried about. I mostly ended up filming that day though

I took the 95s to a meeting yesterday and skated probably 20 blocks combined on the way home. They're not super absorbent of rough ground but I'm rolling over everything. They bark nice on sidewalks and slide pretty normal on the street. I could roll pretty fast and feel some grip while knowing a speed check could be doable. My first thought was definitely that they skate like those 53mm 99 F4s I love so much but with more momentum. Stopped at a wet curb and did back nose and then nollie back tail with no push in between, which was interesting. They slide really nice on that curb. I'm thinking they'd do well on a day where I want to film fisheye but maybe get a clip or two

Now I'm thinking about the teardrop shapes. Wheel madness beginning. I don't care too much about an "optimal" setup as long as I can keep rolling and kickflip
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #5653 on: September 09, 2022, 07:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That font is sick AF.

wait so... rictas?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #5654 on: September 09, 2022, 04:36:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That font is sick AF.
[close]

wait so... rictas?

Speedrings baby! Also Darkstar had something similar way back when.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #5655 on: September 09, 2022, 04:52:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That font is sick AF.
[close]

wait so... rictas?
[close]

What’s the advantage of a dual durometer wheel? More rebound? Not sure that would be helpful tho. You’d have to skate thru the top layer of you wanna get to the softer nougaty center

Richard Skidder

« Reply #5656 on: September 09, 2022, 05:21:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That font is sick AF.
[close]

wait so... rictas?
[close]

[close]

What’s the advantage of a dual durometer wheel? More rebound? Not sure that would be helpful tho. You’d have to skate thru the top layer of you wanna get to the softer nougaty center

The concept is a sort of a “shock absorber” that keeps its speed and slide. The outer shell keeps it’s shape to preform like a standard wheel but the innards soak up all the chatter. Terrible for bearings I would assume.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5657 on: September 09, 2022, 05:24:31 PM »
Mr. Slap, how many licks does it take to get to the softer durometer roll center of a wheel?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #5658 on: September 09, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
Interesting that OJs newest product is essential what ricta has been doing. Ricta speed rings are an underrated wheel. I wonder how much research they did to make it different.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5659 on: September 09, 2022, 06:55:05 PM »
Aren't Speedrings the complete opposite though? My understanding is they have a hard core and a softer riding surface. I am pretty Ricta ignorant but Cairo got me thinking about them for a day or two.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5660 on: September 09, 2022, 08:36:22 PM »
Speedrings and Ricta cored wheels aren't dual duro like these OJs, or the old ABs, or even the powerflex wheels (tho those are closest to the ricta chrome cores).

The ricta cores just have a hard bearing seat. whereas the speed rings are different in that they have an inner urethane ring that surrounds the bearing core, and then the ring, then the outer urethane (part you skate) so: bearing seat, urethane, ring, urethane.

From ricta, complete with typo:

"Ricta Speedrings’ unique core design puts urethane around the bearing bore like a non-cored wheel. You get the feel of a traditional wheel with the speed and reduced rolling resistance of a cored wheel. Less Rattle, More Roll"

I've skated speed rings a number of times and never felt an advantage in skating. Plus they only come in 95/99 now and the 99s were very grippy but felt harder.

The older chrome cores, before they switch to the NRG' branding  were hard af and would rattle your teeth out.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #5661 on: September 10, 2022, 06:49:52 AM »
Everything Xen said for sure. I feel like the OJs are like the lazy version of this “technology “.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5662 on: September 10, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »
Powerflex has been doing the soft core/ hard surface for a while

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5663 on: September 10, 2022, 07:30:18 PM »
Anybody have experience with the dragon wheels on indoor mini ramps? Specifically moderately slippery birch. I have bad form and push stuff way to hard and end up slipping out a lot on 99a wheels. I’m wondering how the dragons compare to spitfire 97s which are pretty good for the indoor stuff.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #5664 on: September 11, 2022, 11:54:08 AM »
are the dragons fully symmetrical? not big on how keyframes have a sharper and rounder side, like a Spit’s lock-in shape.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5665 on: September 11, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
are the dragons fully symmetrical? not big on how keyframes have a sharper and rounder side, like a Spit’s lock-in shape.

Yeah all three shapes. V1 is Classic. V4 is Radial. V6 is Conical Full.

Careful you pay attention to which shape you're buying, because they don't make it very clear.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5666 on: September 12, 2022, 05:27:48 AM »
Anybody have experience with the dragon wheels on indoor mini ramps? Specifically moderately slippery birch. I have bad form and push stuff way to hard and end up slipping out a lot on 99a wheels. I’m wondering how the dragons compare to spitfire 97s which are pretty good for the indoor stuff.

First post, what's up slappers.

Skated my first session on the 54mm V4 dragons on a dusty wooden indoor mini last Friday. They feel significantly gripper than 99a wheels, but still slide just fine. I was noticeably slower on the dragons, though, so I'll use ceramic bearings to hopefully make up for that little bit of drag in future sessions.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5667 on: September 13, 2022, 12:59:54 PM »

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #5668 on: September 15, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
what's up with pig wheels? i'm looking at some proline 58mm, f4s are nowhere to be found in my country in the shapes and sizes i like. pig wheels are cheap as fuck so i'm thinking about getting some, are they better that standard (non f4) spitfires? do they slide? my 58mm og classics are around 49mm now, so it's definitely time to get a new set of wheels. it's either these pig wheels or 57mm bigheads, but to be honest i'd rather get the pigs because they're cheaper and i'm going to get a set of f4s as soon as they are back in stock anyway.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5669 on: September 15, 2022, 02:42:43 PM »
Pig don’t get any love because no one skates them to give any feedback…they’re probably amazing we just don’t know it.