Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777714 times)

TwisT (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5670 on: September 15, 2022, 02:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone fuck with those Pig Prime Naturals? And where are they made?
[close]

Pigs are just Bones Wheels rejects. Not all wheels turn out perfectly so Pig buys Bones rejects then they trim a bit of the urethane off to make them consistent. Then a pig swallows them in even sets of 4. 53mm one day, 58mm another day not to stretch out the pigs rectum. After that they are rinsed and sold at a loss. Pig Wheels operates at a deficit of 30k a year to supply the buyer with the best possible wheels. The spirit of the Pig lies within the wheel forever and gives you that pop and slide that is so desired by the skate industry right now.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5671 on: September 15, 2022, 05:02:56 PM »
what's up with pig wheels? i'm looking at some proline 58mm, f4s are nowhere to be found in my country in the shapes and sizes i like. pig wheels are cheap as fuck so i'm thinking about getting some, are they better that standard (non f4) spitfires? do they slide? my 58mm og classics are around 49mm now, so it's definitely time to get a new set of wheels. it's either these pig wheels or 57mm bigheads, but to be honest i'd rather get the pigs because they're cheaper and i'm going to get a set of f4s as soon as they are back in stock anyway.

I haven't skated the most recent versions, as they have changed the urethane and production from what I heard, but the older ones were decent wheels and skated well, although like original formula Spitfires, they still had flatspot issues.

The generic versions that came out not too long ago were more like the cheaper pricepoint wheels and felt like any "blank" wheel on the market when I had a roll on a board from someone, but there are different options and different duros now too.

Might be a good chance to get them and see what they are like, as well as telling all of us too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5672 on: September 15, 2022, 05:04:12 PM »
My OJ 95a 60mm combos have been having the bearing slip out of it constantly during my session today and seizing up my wheel. Back to Spitfires >:(

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #5673 on: September 16, 2022, 04:48:41 AM »
My OJ 95a 60mm combos have been having the bearing slip out of it constantly during my session today and seizing up my wheel. Back to Spitfires >:(
oj wasnt innocent

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5674 on: September 16, 2022, 07:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
oj wasnt innocent

the juice is loose

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5675 on: September 19, 2022, 10:36:05 PM »

Got a set of 97a bones experimentals today. 52mm, v5 shape I'm pretty sure.

First impressions I'm pretty into them, they're basically harder, slightly louder, less gummy dragons. Still feel maybe a little softer than 97a f4s (if my memory serves me right). Noticeably softer and smoother than 99a f4s. Still sound different and more bouncy when you throw down though. Still throw you a little harder than 99a f4s when you wheelbite, but not by much not too bad.

Skated a waxed, chunky concrete ledge it was just fine, no drag or slide issues. But dragons did fine on those too. Locking into a 5050 does feel weird compared to an f4 though, you're almost a little less sure that you're locked in because you don't feel your wheel hit the edge of the ledge as much as they're softer. But you can get used to that pretty quick, and dragons had the same thing even more

Will skate some angle iron and curbs hopefully soon and report back, as thats where I dealt with most of the drag issues on dragons and all the preproduction formulas. The sidewalls are still a bit glossy on these right now, which probably makes them drag a bit more. My dragons grinded a little better after the sidewalls wore down to a matte texture.

Dragons for me were a tired legs/dont wanna push/don't care about getting tech/rough spot wheel for me, did not replace f4s. But these I'd definitely consider making these my main wheel. So far the compromises are worth the smoother ride, increased speed and reduced vibrations.

Verdict tbd but I'm optimistic.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5676 on: September 20, 2022, 07:12:12 AM »
50 shades of dragons

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5677 on: September 20, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
what's up with pig wheels? i'm looking at some proline 58mm, f4s are nowhere to be found in my country in the shapes and sizes i like. pig wheels are cheap as fuck so i'm thinking about getting some, are they better that standard (non f4) spitfires? do they slide? my 58mm og classics are around 49mm now, so it's definitely time to get a new set of wheels. it's either these pig wheels or 57mm bigheads, but to be honest i'd rather get the pigs because they're cheaper and i'm going to get a set of f4s as soon as they are back in stock anyway.
[close]

I haven't skated the most recent versions, as they have changed the urethane and production from what I heard, but the older ones were decent wheels and skated well, although like original formula Spitfires, they still had flatspot issues.

The generic versions that came out not too long ago were more like the cheaper pricepoint wheels and felt like any "blank" wheel on the market when I had a roll on a board from someone, but there are different options and different duros now too.

Might be a good chance to get them and see what they are like, as well as telling all of us too.
I've been on a set of Pig ProLine 51mm for a couple months now. The ride and slide is pretty identical to spitfire classic formula. They are definitely not Bones rejects as someone mentioned above.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5678 on: September 20, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »
@tzhangdox  stoked to hear your thoughts after you’ve ridden them some. The 93a dragons was never for me but the 97a bones definitely seem to be more in my wheel house. Just looking for an all around wheel and I love the v5 shape. Bones never slide as good as spits for me. So I’m hoping this somehow works

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5679 on: September 20, 2022, 09:56:22 AM »
Were those the same samples from Kam? The only 97a I was able to get are comically fat and I can't skate them.

The 95a are sticking pretty hard on bluntslides, I think the switch up was fun but I'm headed back to F4.`
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5680 on: September 20, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
Were those the same samples from Kam? The only 97a I was able to get are comically fat and I can't skate them.

The 95a are sticking pretty hard on bluntslides, I think the switch up was fun but I'm headed back to F4.`

Nah I believe these should be the ones that are coming out in production, got them from my local shop yesterday. My samples from Kam had cores and were toothpaste white and hard af, also comically fat felt like dumbbells on my trucks.

Even the dragons didn't stick on bluntslides on certain waxed concrete ledges, but definitely stuck on blunt on skatelite, wood and other stuff. These are tbd but I imagine they'll probably be okay.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #5681 on: September 20, 2022, 11:08:19 AM »
Bones is pushing the 97a on Instagram so they’re presumably going to be available shortly.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5682 on: September 20, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
Bones is pushing the 97a on Instagram so they’re presumably going to be available shortly.

Hmm... Wonder when the 95a are coming.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5683 on: September 20, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »

Last official word from them was November for the bones x 97s; hopefully sooner.

Been on the 93s for a minute now. They work just fine in every scenario I've put them in so far...after the first few minutes I didn't even notice a difference other than them being quiet, super fucking smooth and bouncy on the drop; I matched them with race reds (so they're locked down) a slick deck and tensor maglights, no lie that setup opened up a few spots and makes a world of difference 'just cruising' or skating from spot to spot.

I'll also vouch for the increase in session time at rough spots, much less fatigue.

Slightly gummy on crooks (squeaky on slappy crooks), smiths and feebles...but I just go faster...scary for blunts (unless super waxed), can't trust them. Miss the speed check chirp.

If they can get close to a spit/stf 99a feel with most of the 93 functionality I'm betting (as predicted) the 97s are going to be my sweet spot.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:35:43 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5684 on: September 20, 2022, 08:28:21 PM »

First impressions I'm pretty into them, they're basically harder, slightly louder, less gummy dragons. Still feel maybe a little softer than 97a f4s (if my memory serves me right). Noticeably softer and smoother than 99a f4s. Still sound different and more bouncy when you throw down though. Still throw you a little harder than 99a f4s when you wheelbite, but not by much not too bad.

Skated a waxed, chunky concrete ledge it was just fine, no drag or slide issues. But dragons did fine on those too. Locking into a 5050 does feel weird compared to an f4 though, you're almost a little less sure that you're locked in because you don't feel your wheel hit the edge of the ledge as much as they're softer. But you can get used to that pretty quick, and dragons had the same thing even more

Will skate some angle iron and curbs hopefully soon and report back, as thats where I dealt with most of the drag issues on dragons and all the preproduction formulas. The sidewalls are still a bit glossy on these right now, which probably makes them drag a bit more. My dragons grinded a little better after the sidewalls wore down to a matte texture.

Dragons for me were a tired legs/dont wanna push/don't care about getting tech/rough spot wheel for me, did not replace f4s. But these I'd definitely consider making these my main wheel. So far the compromises are worth the smoother ride, increased speed and reduced vibrations.

Update on these skated some curbs today they still grip and drag a little more compared to f4s on slappies. Tried side by side with my friends setup that has 99 f4s. Not a dealbreaker, little bit better than dragons, and I imagine once the sidewalls wear in and are even less glossy they'll go better. But definitely a little slower and more unpredictable than f4s on curbs now. If they break in and get better will report back.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:33:22 PM by tzhangdox »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5685 on: September 22, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
Ive broken in both my 56mm 99a Vee shape NFG and my 60mm 95a. After years of F4 99a and Keyframes I love how hard the softer wheels are, but the 99a are slippery sometimes. Not as versatile as F4s. Great on hard asphalt and smooth pavement/cobblestone, scary at the indoor. My powerslides keep going just a little bit on these - something about the way F4s break into slides make me feel way safer but I gotta have perfect form. Not with the NFGs.

Neither wheel is bouncy - the 95s don't really eat up crust so much as roll right through it. So I don't know how much chiller they'd be at a smaller size. But I've got two other boards in the quiver and a new indoor I dig so I might try a 95a in a rounder shape
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5686 on: September 22, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »
What happened with those 95a Spitfire F4s that were rumored or speculated or leaked a while back?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5687 on: September 22, 2022, 01:54:28 PM »
What happened with those 95a Spitfire F4s that were rumored or speculated or leaked a while back?

They're in the works

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5688 on: September 22, 2022, 04:28:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've been on a set of Pig ProLine 51mm for a couple months now. The ride and slide is pretty identical to spitfire classic formula. They are definitely not Bones rejects as someone mentioned above.

I had meant to say thanks for the info, but only remembered when I was going back over the thread.

Always good to know.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5689 on: September 22, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »
I’m entertaining the idea of getting those 101a/95a OJs. I never skate ojs. There’s no way they will be better than the regular conical spits I have. But shit it’s tempting me

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5690 on: September 22, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »
I’m entertaining the idea of getting those 101a/95a OJs. I never skate ojs. There’s no way they will be better than the regular conical spits I have. But shit it’s tempting me

The 95a Nomads are pretty tight. But if I could trade em in I'd probably drink the Dragon kool-aid.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5691 on: September 25, 2022, 02:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Update on these skated some curbs today they still grip and drag a little more compared to f4s on slappies. Tried side by side with my friends setup that has 99 f4s. Not a dealbreaker, little bit better than dragons, and I imagine once the sidewalls wear in and are even less glossy they'll go better. But definitely a little slower and more unpredictable than f4s on curbs now. If they break in and get better will report back.

Damn need these asap!!
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5692 on: September 25, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn need these asap!!

The drag got maybe a teeny bit better but not by much, I sanded down sheen on the sidewalls with some grip so they're fully matte I think thats what helped a tad. All in all they definitely still feel like a soft-ish wheel to me.

All my friends on formula fours thought I was still on the "quiet ass dragon wheels" and thought they were bouncy and gummy. Definitely still more similar to a dragon than a 99 f4. The grind will still feel "gummy" even if they go just as good on the right obstacle. Whether thats worth the smoother ride or not its up to you, sometimes it is to me, sometimes it isnt.

The one thing thats bothering me is that they're still really pitching me super hard on wheelbite. To be fair, I did just set up some indys with new bushings and they're 144s which bite easier than 8.5 trucks which I'm used to skating. I've gotten my shit rocked a few times landing hard in wheelbite and getting sent, the wheels definitely made it worse. Have some 149s on the way and hopefully that plus broken in bushings make it a bit better.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5693 on: September 25, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn need these asap!!
[close]

The drag got maybe a teeny bit better but not by much, I sanded down sheen on the sidewalls with some grip so they're fully matte I think thats what helped a tad. All in all they definitely still feel like a soft-ish wheel to me.

All my friends on formula fours thought I was still on the "quiet ass dragon wheels" and thought they were bouncy and gummy. Definitely still more similar to a dragon than a 99 f4. The grind will still feel "gummy" even if they go just as good on the right obstacle. Whether thats worth the smoother ride or not its up to you, sometimes it is to me, sometimes it isnt.

The one thing thats bothering me is that they're still really pitching me super hard on wheelbite. To be fair, I did just set up some indys with new bushings and they're 144s which bite easier than 8.5 trucks which I'm used to skating. I've gotten my shit rocked a few times landing hard in wheelbite and getting sent, the wheels definitely made it worse. Have some 149s on the way and hopefully that plus broken in bushings make it a bit better.

Thanks for the update

I’m still down for these cause as of recent months I prefer the feeling of bones formula over the spits only cause when I got a distance to cruise not trying to be serious the bones just absorbed more vibration and felt grippier but still felt I could break out a slide no issues

I love formula fours don’t get me wrong, the 99a are okay standard premium street wheel but to me the 101a are better cause they feel more aggressive for street and faster

I’m on the dragons right now and I love them! So fast, so soft, but still feels like a street wheel mostly(not as sticky as a cruiser wheel in my opinion) and if these bones experimental are a bit harder im down bad for them, I’ll pay the ridiculous price I paid for the dragons maybe more

When are these bones expected to release?
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5694 on: September 25, 2022, 07:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn need these asap!!
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the update

I’m still down for these cause as of recent months I prefer the feeling of bones formula over the spits only cause when I got a distance to cruise not trying to be serious the bones just absorbed more vibration and felt grippier but still felt I could break out a slide no issues

I love formula fours don’t get me wrong, the 99a are okay standard premium street wheel but to me the 101a are better cause they feel more aggressive for street and faster

I’m on the dragons right now and I love them! So fast, so soft, but still feels like a street wheel mostly(not as sticky as a cruiser wheel in my opinion) and if these bones experimental are a bit harder im down bad for them, I’ll pay the ridiculous price I paid for the dragons maybe more

When are these bones expected to release?

I think November? Not sure. If you like the dragons and would want to try a slightly harder version of those, then you’ll probably love these. Both these and the dragons make me miss f4s for things. But when I’m on f4s I also miss having these on lol. Pretty conflicted overall.

Powerslides, like dragons are really really really good for the most part. I’m 100% happy with these or dragons or f4s for reverts n powerslides. It’s more sidewall drag on grinds and some slide tricks on some ledges (most of my skating is ledge tech shit)… and the wheelbite thing

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5695 on: September 26, 2022, 04:43:04 AM »
Been rolling on Bones SPF 84b (alleged 104a equivalent) 60mm V5 Side Cut wheels since January. I have ridden the wheels down from 60 to 55mm.
Was on F4 99a 56mm Conicals prior.

I have enjoyed riding the Bones wheel very much. At first I used as prescribed keeping to relatively smooth skate parks. As the contact patch widened I tried a hill bomb and some switchbacks. Enjoying the wheel on rougher ground while going fast I started to use the wheel almost exclusively when normally I run 78-80a on roads.

Pros
    Super hard, allows one to feel the ground below.
    More grip than F4 99a.
    Shape is very lite for a large wheel.
    Contact patch changes from classic like to conical full which is a pleasant transition.
    Wheel size overpowers crust.
    Holds up to desert southwest triple digit temps and the sun baked concrete.
Cons
    Wheel picked up metal coping slivers on the side which stayed in until contact patch reached it.
    I had one flat spot from hitting rock at full speed at skate park. Was able to work most of it out sliding on rough concrete the day it happened.
    The wheel goes from grippy to ice cube really fast. I actually like the feeling of how the grip hooks back up once in line with inertia.
    Once ground down to 56mm the wheel chips slightly.

I highly recommend this size/shape/formula combo if you like rolling fast on a hard wheel. Want a wheel that lasts longer than most. Desire a large yet lite wheel. Want a wheel that can jump over cracks/rocks firstly due to 60mm height, secondly due to wide contact patch manifesting once worn down.
I think the wheels could be ridden down to around 52mm. 

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5696 on: September 29, 2022, 12:22:40 PM »
How bad is the Bones original formula? Looking at some V5 sidecuts in 100a mostly because I just love black wheels and the shape looks real nice. I skate park almost exclusively.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5697 on: September 29, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »
Been rolling on Bones SPF 84b (alleged 104a equivalent) 60mm V5 Side Cut wheels since January. I have ridden the wheels down from 60 to 55mm.

I hated those things on anything but smooth skateparks (where they were insanely good).

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5698 on: September 29, 2022, 07:58:08 PM »
I'm sure most people are sick of me going on about all the different soft wheels but just an update on the Bones experimental 97s, since nobody else on the internet seems to have any opinion on them.

I've had them for 10 days, skating lots and they're all about 51.2, 51.3ish mms from 52mms. Haven't bombed any hills. Like the dragons and all the prototypes, they definitely wear down noticeably faster than a formula four. Not a dealbreaker for me personally but worth noting.

Grind drag hasn't gotten any better since the initial break in. Grinds on street ledges still feel gummier, pinching and holding long grinds is less predictable (again, a little better than dragons but not as good as f4)

For example, on a long slappy crooked grind on a curb, it goes if you lean back and push it a bit further, but if you try to adjust mid grind and stand up straight on it it definitely catches and sticks a bit easier than a hard wheel.

A lot of this can be fixed with wax, but everything else constant these absolutely grind worse than a hard wheel and I'm not about to wax a curb or some ledge that everyone else is skating. And there's still less tactile feedback because the wheels are soft and that kinda matters when you're trying to make small adjustments mid slide/grind

How much this will affect you depends on how and what you skate, but if you had no problems with dragons then these will be alright too. Probably a little closer to dragons than f4s in the grind/slide department.

All that being said I still find myself skating these because pushing less on rough spots is nice, and I do think they make me a little less sore after a long session. If a harder dragon with many of the same problems (to a lesser degree) is what you're after, this is it.

It feels like even if they made a 99a version of this formula, it would still feel softer than a 99a f4, I'd be interested in that.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 08:06:49 PM by tzhangdox »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5699 on: September 29, 2022, 10:00:17 PM »
As far as skating rough terrain how much 'worse' are the 97s over the 93s? Noticeably different?