Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778192 times)

Some dude, big_kev_215, Frank and Fred and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5730 on: October 02, 2022, 12:18:04 PM »
Looks like most Pig Wheels are 101a. Pig Prime urethane is 103a.

I keep meaning to nab a set during xx amount off clearance items...they were $14 last SW sale... not much of a risk.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #5731 on: October 02, 2022, 07:54:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I keep meaning to nab a set during xx amount off clearance items...they were $14 last SW sale... not much of a risk.

Bought a set of the Primes a while back and shared on here that they were really good. I think a little better than the OJ Elites.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5732 on: October 03, 2022, 02:31:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
pros and cons of wheel shapes you’ve tried. what’re their pros n cons? what sorta tricks are they best for?
[close]

Bones V2/Spit tablets =  ledges/rails
Bones V5 = slappies/rails/bowls - favorite wheel shape
Spit Radial Slims for literally everything else
[close]

Blessed wheel shape and unique to Spitfire,  I'd say impossible to find a similar wheel profile amongst other brands.
[close]

Dug my last set out and rode them today (been on 93 dragons and 103 v1s), they feel so good, way better than the classics I had with me, both 101.

Are we twinning? I’m also currently on the dragons with my mini logo trucks krooked combo and 103v1 on my Indy zoo York setup
yes

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #5733 on: October 03, 2022, 03:46:56 AM »

Fairly sure you can get Pig primes in any popular duro. I've definitely seen 99a and 101a at various shops. The pig line is actually pretty diverse, but like most Tumyeto stuff individual duros/shapes/colors come and go from their site and are usually easier to find at the warehouses or local shops that are particularly chummy with the Tumy.

Pig wheels are decent. I have some of the 97a conicals and they're actually far better than I expected them to be when I got them. They're kinda sticky on dry ground but they slide fine once you break them loose. It's a very predictable response. I fear the dragons have made them obsolete, but they were actually my favourite soft/hybrid wheel for a while until NFG dropped their 95a formula.

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5734 on: October 03, 2022, 06:31:29 AM »
I said the NFG 56 Vees I was skating were 99s...

NFG doesn't make a 99...

They're 52D, 103A equivalent

I've been skating them and wondering why the fuck are these so slippery...

I fucked up. But I dig them after skating F4 99s so long
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5735 on: October 03, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fairly sure you can get Pig primes in any popular duro. I've definitely seen 99a and 101a at various shops. The pig line is actually pretty diverse, but like most Tumyeto stuff individual duros/shapes/colors come and go from their site and are usually easier to find at the warehouses or local shops that are particularly chummy with the Tumy.

Pig wheels are decent. I have some of the 97a conicals and they're actually far better than I expected them to be when I got them. They're kinda sticky on dry ground but they slide fine once you break them loose. It's a very predictable response. I fear the dragons have made them obsolete, but they were actually my favourite soft/hybrid wheel for a while until NFG dropped their 95a formula.

You like the nfg 95a more than the dragons?

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #5736 on: October 03, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjPWcr1st6P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's an Austin wheel company that just started. My wife bought the 55's and after checking hers out I might do the same
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5737 on: October 04, 2022, 07:58:33 AM »
What do you guys think about this new OJ Double Duro? 101 on the outside and 95a on the inside. I am curious to try them. i really dont like the idea of the soft ass dragons this seems like a better option. not out yet but maybe someone here has got a sneak peak?
ONTARIO CANADA

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5738 on: October 04, 2022, 09:29:35 AM »
No one has tried them so hard to speak accurately. My guess is Powell Dragons/Bones X damage control.

The pitch:

101a Outer = Hard wheel characteristics/performance = slide...so theoretically a better slide than say, a 95 or 97 (but OJs don't really do that well; jury is out on a new thane for these)

95a Inner = Dampening/absorption of a smaller wheel

In spit terms, you get the slide of the 101a, and [supposedly] crust conquering of the 97s...imagine an F4 like that...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQVkMhB9wA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Longboards wheel manufacturers been doing it for years, Autobahn did it years ago (83B outer durometer w/ 97A core, really good wheel for back then)), never really caught on: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3821869#msg3821869.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:39:26 AM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #5739 on: October 04, 2022, 11:13:40 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjPWcr1st6P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's an Austin wheel company that just started. My wife bought the 55's and after checking hers out I might do the same

Couple people I know have been riding these, they seem alright, the only thing I have against them is the whole DIY aesthetic they are trying to push when in fact these are prolly just another batch of creative urethane, there is nothing special about them, glad there is a company ran by a woman of color that’s doing things and putting on for austin though, they recently put on a curb contest here in Austin and it looked rad
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5740 on: October 04, 2022, 11:34:36 AM »
No one has tried them so hard to speak accurately. My guess is Powell Dragons/Bones X damage control.

The pitch:

101a Outer = Hard wheel characteristics/performance = slide...so theoretically a better slide than say, a 95 or 97 (but OJs don't really do that well; jury is out on a new thane for these)

95a Inner = Dampening/absorption of a smaller wheel

In spit terms, you get the slide of the 101a, and [supposedly] crust conquering of the 97s...imagine an F4 like that...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQVkMhB9wA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Longboards wheel manufacturers been doing it for years, Autobahn did it years ago (83B outer durometer w/ 97A core, really good wheel for back then)), never really caught on: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3821869#msg3821869.

i reallly need to try dragon for myself to see how it slides compared to 95a
ONTARIO CANADA

huggernaut

« Reply #5741 on: October 04, 2022, 11:43:48 AM »
What brands are made by creative/mearthane?

IpathCats

« Reply #5742 on: October 04, 2022, 11:50:16 AM »
WHAT is the deal with flip flop wheels??
Do any of you ride combo wheel shapes, I.E. asymmetrical ones like Santa Cruz Vomits or OJ Mini combos?

If yes, which way do you use them, and why?

Like, conical side facing inwards for better lock-in on grinds, or rounded side inwards for hanging up less?
Which way do the pros run theirs?

Also most of my local skateparks are plywood, Masonite and skatelite. Think kinda slippery dusty stuff, and I have a fear of slipping out, which duro should I get?
OJs only come in 101a and except for the Gregson 56mm 97a. Slime Balls come in 97 and 99, right?

Currently on Spit F4 57mm Radials in 99a. I haven’t really given them the full test yet, because time. Some people claim them to be very slippery, and others perfect, what’s the verdict?

They're designed to be mounted with the square side in for better lock ins. IIRC they were pretty much a response to spits lock in shape

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5743 on: October 04, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
What brands are made by creative/mearthane?

Just about any wheel brand that says 'Made in the USA' that isn't Acid/NFG/Bones/Spit..etc., and assume all 'team' wheels unless specified are China-made.

[dated info] found on page 3 of this thread...

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg2273002#msg2273002

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5744 on: October 04, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Do any of you ride combo wheel shapes, I.E. asymmetrical ones like Santa Cruz Vomits or OJ Mini combos?

Like, conical side facing inwards for better lock-in on grinds, or rounded side inwards for hanging up less?

Also most of my local skateparks are plywood, Masonite and skatelite. Think kinda slippery dusty stuff, and I have a fear of slipping out, which duro should I get?
OJs only come in 101a and except for the Gregson 56mm 97a. Slime Balls come in 97 and 99, right?

Currently on Spit F4 57mm Radials in 99a. I haven’t really given them the full test yet, because time. Some people claim them to be very slippery, and others perfect, what’s the verdict?
[close]

They're designed to be mounted with the square side in for better lock ins. IIRC they were pretty much a response to spits lock in shape

Thanks man  :)
I thought so too, but i thought the manufacturer had an idea with placing the graphics on the square side, as many wheels are designed for graphics to face out, I thought that was the main way to use them.
I thought the Slime balls and OJ combo shape were OG wheel shapes from way back when?

I think a lot of thoughts, just a thought.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5745 on: October 04, 2022, 04:26:45 PM »
Currently riding a set of 101a Rictas. Was riding 99 F4s before.

Curious how Bones 103a STF, Spitfire 101a and OJ Elite 101 compare now.
i've got the OJ 101s set up on my glass park setup right now, so obviously they see less use but they're still nice. i was soured a bit at first as i flatspotted them with relative ease on a park that had been concreted a fair while ago (granted i was intentionally trying to, in order to see if they would hold up).
despite this, they feel really nice on those smoother parks. never tried spitfire so i can't speak on that matter, but on those parks that range from smooth-glassy they perform well compared to stf's. i don't slide out ever, and they feel easy to control in powerslides. if i was being more sceptical i would say how they take that tiny bit more effort (that FEELS like a mountain compared to the relative molehill it is) to break into a slide.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5746 on: October 04, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »

The Autobahn dual duro ones were 101A core with 97A outer, so the opposite of what OJ's trying.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5747 on: October 04, 2022, 05:07:07 PM »
Dual durometers have been a thing for a long time, but it's always been softer outer with harder core. No idea what effects happen when reversing the durometer positions, so this looks interesting. The only thing I can think of is that it'll reduce vibration when pushing through crappy ground. Time will tell.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5748 on: October 04, 2022, 05:26:47 PM »

I had meant to reply to this a while back but got distracted.

At least you pretty much have the info re asymmetric shaped wheels, but some people do like to ride them in and some out, most the normal way, as said, but they do give you the option, mini combo = a combination of two wheel shapes so you can choose either way depending on what you want or how wide your wheel to truck to deck is and other factors.

As for the surfaces of different ramps, as well as how people skate, there can be so many variables between what might be considered the best wheels for any given place.  Some people like to have that slip and slide feel, whereas others prefer NO slide unless they want it to slide, so you can easily go from 101 / 99 down to 90 duro and everything in between for the same ramp, depending on who is skating it and what they prefer.

Try the normal wheels you have (with caution) and if they are extremely slippery, then I would say go down to a lower duro than 97, but if you just wanted a touch more grip, then the 97s should be good.

The different wheel brands with different formulas will skate differently as well, but for the most part the 97s from Spitfire and Slimeballs will work well on moderately slippery ramps, but will still feel too hard on very slippery ramp surfaces.

Lower duros than that I found that the Mini Logo 95 duro or even the 90 duro were really good, kept speed and didn't slip out on the skatelite / slippery wood / other surfaces around here, whereas some other 95 duro wheels didn't keep grip on the slippery stuff and some other 90 duro wheels just ended up being very slow to roll over those surfaces, when compared to the normal harder wheels.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5749 on: October 04, 2022, 06:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Autobahn dual duro ones were 101A core with 97A outer, so the opposite of what OJ's trying.

Autobahn Dual Duro Ultra 97a/100a (inner/outer) (they also came in 97a/97a) - clear urethane core

Autobahn ABX Dual Duro 83B/97A (inner/outer) - black core/plastic

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5750 on: October 05, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
are any pals getting their hands on the ojs early (a la dragons)
more interested in these than any of the powell wheels
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5751 on: October 06, 2022, 04:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had meant to reply to this a while back but got distracted.

At least you pretty much have the info re asymmetric shaped wheels, but some people do like to ride them in and some out, most the normal way, as said, but they do give you the option, mini combo = a combination of two wheel shapes so you can choose either way depending on what you want or how wide your wheel to truck to deck is and other factors.

As for the surfaces of different ramps, as well as how people skate, there can be so many variables between what might be considered the best wheels for any given place.  Some people like to have that slip and slide feel, whereas others prefer NO slide unless they want it to slide, so you can easily go from 101 / 99 down to 90 duro and everything in between for the same ramp, depending on who is skating it and what they prefer.

Try the normal wheels you have (with caution) and if they are extremely slippery, then I would say go down to a lower duro than 97, but if you just wanted a touch more grip, then the 97s should be good.

The different wheel brands with different formulas will skate differently as well, but for the most part the 97s from Spitfire and Slimeballs will work well on moderately slippery ramps, but will still feel too hard on very slippery ramp surfaces.

Lower duros than that I found that the Mini Logo 95 duro or even the 90 duro were really good, kept speed and didn't slip out on the skatelite / slippery wood / other surfaces around here, whereas some other 95 duro wheels didn't keep grip on the slippery stuff and some other 90 duro wheels just ended up being very slow to roll over those surfaces, when compared to the normal harder wheels.

This was really helpful!
I think my next set of wheels are gonna be either the stupid dragon wheels, or the OJ/Slime balls 97a.
I think the shape, with the radial side outwards and the conical on the inside might be really good for sliding and locking into ledges and rails.
My only skatepark is strictly wooden stuff. In the street area it has concrete floor between obstacles, but I want to learn mini-ramp and smaller transition. I’m 35, and just started again, was never good as a teen though. I’m working up the courage to do my first drop in, and really don’t want to introduce my teeth to metal coping.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5752 on: October 06, 2022, 07:57:04 AM »
I don't know why you'd want Dragons or a soft wheel for that kind of park unless the wood is more slick than Skatelite. Dragons drag a bit on metal coping too. Wouldn't a big standard formula work just fine? Personally when I came back to skating I started on F4 99 since they were a middle ground hard wheel and for the most part have been fine. I was skating a park like you described and found the 103a wheels too slick for me (they were super fast tho) and 95 too soft.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5753 on: October 06, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »
Aren't Bones sPf made specifically for ramp surfaces? Don't those work?

I swear there's a hundred posts in here about indoor ramp surfaces, and I'm not sure if I've seen a single mention of SPF.

If you guys are honestly skating indoor parks so much, just have a separate deck set up specifically for that park.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 09:25:39 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

huggernaut

« Reply #5754 on: October 06, 2022, 08:34:24 AM »
I don't know why you'd want Dragons or a soft wheel for that kind of park unless the wood is more slick than Skatelite. Dragons drag a bit on metal coping too. Wouldn't a big standard formula work just fine? Personally when I came back to skating I started on F4 99 since they were a middle ground hard wheel and for the most part have been fine. I was skating a park like you described and found the 103a wheels too slick for me (they were super fast tho) and 95 too soft.

Recently put on a set of f4 99a classics and all I could think was “are we all just fucking overthinking it?”

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5755 on: October 06, 2022, 08:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Recently put on a set of f4 99a classics and all I could think was “are we all just fucking overthinking it?”

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5756 on: October 06, 2022, 09:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Been on the 93 dragons since I got them. Last night's session I went with spit 99a conicals...the results....no real difference except for lots more vibration on some of the rougher spots...they also felt really hard and glassy in comparison.

I did miss the smooth ride of the dragons.

huggernaut

« Reply #5757 on: October 06, 2022, 09:18:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Been on the 93 dragons since I got them. Last night's session I went with spit 99a conicals...the results....no real difference except for lots more vibration on some of the rougher spots...they also felt really hard and glassy in comparison.

I did miss the smooth ride of the dragons.

To be clear the next session I threw dragons on and was like “oh…my old bones feel so good”

overwaxed

• Rep: 83
« Reply #5758 on: October 06, 2022, 09:25:51 AM »
I had a bearing slip mid slappy on a 54mm dragon and slammed harder than I have in years and bruised a few ribs - so I’m officially off that kool aid

Anyone tried OJ nomads or 97a oj/slimeballs? Also I can only ever skate odd numbered sizes - sounds crazy but every bad fall/injury has been on even numbered wheels.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5759 on: October 06, 2022, 09:41:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don't get me wrong it totally makes sense to have different wheels if your spots differ that much. I think if I hadn't skated in years and got back into it that I wouldn't start with a specialized wheel necessarily or at least one designed to handle rough spots when I'm skating a nice wooden park.