Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777640 times)

Notyourmom, Mulldrifter and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 110
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5760 on: October 06, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »
I don't know why you'd want Dragons or a soft wheel for that kind of park unless the wood is more slick than Skatelite. Dragons drag a bit on metal coping too. Wouldn't a big standard formula work just fine? Personally when I came back to skating I started on F4 99 since they were a middle ground hard wheel and for the most part have been fine. I was skating a park like you described and found the 103a wheels too slick for me (they were super fast tho) and 95 too soft.

I don’t know either, I am the noob. 99a F4 is what I have, and now I’ve been rolling around in there for a while, and can tell that the slide isn’t as bad as I feared. I’m coming up to 99a from a softer wheel, so for me it’s scary. I’m probably way overthinking skateboarding.
Can’t find current pictures of the mini I skate the most, but here’s one of the street area and one of the dual bowls.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5761 on: October 06, 2022, 11:32:23 AM »
Aren't Bones sPf made specifically for ramp surfaces? Don't those work?

I swear there's a hundred posts in here about indoor ramp surfaces, and I'm not sure if I've seen a single mention of SPF.

If you guys are honestly skating indoor parks so much, just have a separate deck set up specifically for that park.

I have an ancient set of SPFs and it never occurred to me to use them in indoor parks since they're 81B duro. I always thought the "park" referred to concrete parks (where they work like a charm), but I just checked and they explicitly say the formula offers firmer grip on slick surfaces.

https://bones.com/why/skatepark-formula/

I'm gonna give them a go on my next trip to an indoor park with wooden ramps and report back.

Creachteach

« Reply #5762 on: October 06, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »

I swear there's a hundred posts in here about indoor ramp surfaces, and I'm not sure if I've seen a single mention of SPF.

If you guys are honestly skating indoor parks so much, just have a separate deck set up specifically for that park.

I honestly thought the SPF were specifically for concrete parks, and they’re like super hard at 81b and 84b, so it seems counter intuitive.

The board I’ve setup is setup towards that indoor “park”, as it is just a 3 minute walk from my house. I’m just a noob, and I got advised to get the 99a F4s by a local dude, and so far I’m not ready to give up on them, as they seem to be everyone’s favourite formula. It’s probably just me being a chickenshit kook.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5763 on: October 06, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I honestly thought the SPF were specifically for concrete parks, and they’re like super hard at 81b and 84b, so it seems counter intuitive.

The board I’ve setup is setup towards that indoor “park”, as it is just a 3 minute walk from my house. I’m just a noob, and I got advised to get the 99a F4s by a local dude, and so far I’m not ready to give up on them, as they seem to be everyone’s favourite formula. It’s probably just me being a chickenshit kook.

Yeah 99a formula fours should be just fine on that kinda surface you'll get used to it. Literally every single skater I know in the real world rides f4 99as, some slightly prefer 101 (or accidentally get them because they don't know better but then skate them just fine). Don't think about it too much.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5764 on: October 06, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have an ancient set of SPFs and it never occurred to me to use them in indoor parks since they're 81B duro. I always thought the "park" referred to concrete parks (where they work like a charm), but I just checked and they explicitly say the formula offers firmer grip on slick surfaces.

I'm gonna give them a go on my next trip to an indoor park with wooden ramps and report back.

I have some SPFs in my bag for skating slick parks, be they newer concrete or Masonite/skatelite. I recently forgot to switch out from f4 I like to skate at an older concrete park and ate shit a handful of times just slipping out trying to haul ass through some corners in the big flow bowl but once I switched to the spf I didn’t fall the rest of the day.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5765 on: October 06, 2022, 05:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The most simple way to break it down is this:

Yes most people skate normal 99 duro wheels (Spitfire Formula Four in particular but Bones in any formula as well - STF, SPF or other) on everything, including myself and I find they work great on the indoor street area too, as I would not want soft wheels when trying slide tricks on the ledges as they grip and stop.

Yes many of the older dudes or those with less balance slam hard on the mini ramp and bowl at my indoor park because they are not used to how slick the surface really is compared to a more grippy concrete surface or when they are skating in the street area on concrete floor.

This is why quite a number of those type of people will set up a board with softer wheels to ride on those ramps, or skate that for everything, as it is just way less likely to slip out and end in breaking something for them, as per a board I have specifically set up to skate on the slippery ramps with Spitfire 92 duro softer wheels, which feels just like normal 99 duro wheels on raw concrete in the outdoor section of my park.

It is not far off a cruiser in the overall feel of it, but it gives me way more confidence to skate the ramp and bowl that I know I would slip out on with normal 99 duro wheels.

As for anyone else who is not used to soft grippy wheels, they find the thing a beast, but no one has ever slipped out on it and I use it for beginners who are learning a lot on the ramps too as it still rolls fast, but will not have that icy feel to it that normal wheels do.

I do still skate the ramp / bowl quite often on my normal boards just as a warm up or to see how well I mopped the ramps, for which the surface is quite fast and not overly slippery when just having a few easy runs, but I only push it a bit to feel how much they slide, which is more than they grip, that's for sure.

As for your own local indoor park, if someone is cleaning the surfaces regularly and doing a good job, then it should be way less slippery, but if there is a dust build up, especially in certain areas, those can be like black ice on normal wheels and I saw that a lot at another indoor park I used to work at, people slipping out all the time on those slick ramps.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

scab

« Reply #5766 on: October 07, 2022, 12:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have some SPFs in my bag for skating slick parks, be they newer concrete or Masonite/skatelite. I recently forgot to switch out from f4 I like to skate at an older concrete park and ate shit a handful of times just slipping out trying to haul ass through some corners in the big flow bowl but once I switched to the spf I didn’t fall the rest of the day.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely give them a shot. My indoor park has decades-old wooden ramps and looks like no one ever dusts it, so I resorted to Dragons for riding it. I'm noticeably slower on them, but that's still better than potentially eating shit if I don't land exactly bolts (which is pretty much every try). If the SPFs offer enough grip and keep their speed, I'm set for the winter.

Creachteach

« Reply #5767 on: October 07, 2022, 02:38:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The most simple way to break it down is this:

Yes most people skate normal 99 duro wheels (Spitfire Formula Four in particular but Bones in any formula as well - STF, SPF or other) on everything, including myself and I find they work great on the indoor street area too, as I would not want soft wheels when trying slide tricks on the ledges as they grip and stop.

Yes many of the older dudes or those with less balance slam hard on the mini ramp and bowl at my indoor park because they are not used to how slick the surface really is compared to a more grippy concrete surface or when they are skating in the street area on concrete floor.

This is why quite a number of those type of people will set up a board with softer wheels to ride on those ramps, or skate that for everything, as it is just way less likely to slip out and end in breaking something for them, as per a board I have specifically set up to skate on the slippery ramps with Spitfire 92 duro softer wheels, which feels just like normal 99 duro wheels on raw concrete in the outdoor section of my park.

It is not far off a cruiser in the overall feel of it, but it gives me way more confidence to skate the ramp and bowl that I know I would slip out on with normal 99 duro wheels.

As for anyone else who is not used to soft grippy wheels, they find the thing a beast, but no one has ever slipped out on it and I use it for beginners who are learning a lot on the ramps too as it still rolls fast, but will not have that icy feel to it that normal wheels do.

I do still skate the ramp / bowl quite often on my normal boards just as a warm up or to see how well I mopped the ramps, for which the surface is quite fast and not overly slippery when just having a few easy runs, but I only push it a bit to feel how much they slide, which is more than they grip, that's for sure.

As for your own local indoor park, if someone is cleaning the surfaces regularly and doing a good job, then it should be way less slippery, but if there is a dust build up, especially in certain areas, those can be like black ice on normal wheels and I saw that a lot at another indoor park I used to work at, people slipping out all the time on those slick ramps.

Looks like I have some experiments to conduct, before further gear acquisitions. I also have some thoughts about wheelbase/boards and bushings, but I’ll ask in another thread. I don’t think anyone is mopping the ramps. The concrete floor gets swept once in while, but you can still find some debris from one of the Masonite clad banks, that is shedding/peeling, tiny pebbles and a wood screw here and there.
I fell a couple of times in my last session there, but I don’t know if any of them were because of sliding around too much, as I’m simply not that experienced yet. One was wheelbite doing a kick turn below the coping on the mini. Sent my ass face first into the ramp.
If it turns out my falls have to do with riding hard-ish wheels, I’ll definitely look into 92a-95a-97a wheels.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5768 on: October 07, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
are any pals getting their hands on the ojs early (a la dragons)
more interested in these than any of the powell wheels

Same. I never skated OJs but I think some have said they are sticky but if they fix that this wheel sounds good and more in my wheel house than dragons or the other bones

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5769 on: October 07, 2022, 09:53:40 AM »

Don’t use SPFs indoors, it will be like skating on ice. SPFs are made for smooth concrete parks. I know people who use them to skate vert (skatelite ramp), but we always mop the ramp before skating it. So unless you’re mopping the indoor park daily, stay away.

I personally use whatever 95a wheels I can find if I’m riding an indoor park or other slippery parks. OJs 95a wheels are good (haven’t tried the nomads yet but I’ve been meaning to). Speedlab and Rainskates have some decent 95a offerings too, but they’re on the bigger side.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #5770 on: October 07, 2022, 10:52:30 AM »
Everybody knows the only wheels worth using are formula 4 spitfires. Dont even bother with anything else.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5771 on: October 07, 2022, 03:21:27 PM »
Everybody knows the only wheels worth using are formula 4 spitfires. Dont even bother with anything else.

Welp, it's decided, let's wrap it up folks, I guess there's no reason to post in this 8 year old, 193 page thread anymore

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5772 on: October 07, 2022, 04:19:44 PM »

But I like Dragons 93a more because Spitfire F4 99a can't even handle a little bit of crust and pebbles. I want to go fast, not clunk around on some slow wheel. But if you enjoy going slow and only skating perfectly manicured skateparks, then I understand and respect your decision. Just doesn't sound very core if you ask me, that's all. 8)

;)
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5773 on: October 07, 2022, 05:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don’t use SPFs indoors, it will be like skating on ice. SPFs are made for smooth concrete parks. I know people who use them to skate vert (skatelite ramp), but we always mop the ramp before skating it. So unless you’re mopping the indoor park daily, stay away.

I personally use whatever 95a wheels I can find if I’m riding an indoor park or other slippery parks. OJs 95a wheels are good (haven’t tried the nomads yet but I’ve been meaning to). Speedlab and Rainskates have some decent 95a offerings too, but they’re on the bigger side.

Sounds exactly like a number of people I know and skate with.

Some love their SPF on the vert ramp for how fast and slick they are, but I have seen them totally eat it on some occasions because of those wheels.

Many of the other guys swear by the bigger (and often wider) 95 duro wheels for their boards.

Also, I am not sure if it is the different urethane mix, but the older 97 and 95 formulas in OJ and Slimeballs (usually in the bigger wheel sizes) were so much better than wheels like the Nomads on slippery stuff.

Nomads worked well on bitumen / asphalt roads, rough or raw old concrete but slipped out a lot on wood and skatelite.

I do have one set of newer smaller Slimeballs which don't slip out as much and they are 97 duro, compared to the Nomads which are 95 duro.

The formula of a wheel is almost more important than the given durometer in some cases.

bombsaway86

« Reply #5774 on: October 07, 2022, 07:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Some love their SPF on the vert ramp for how fast and slick they are, but I have seen them totally eat it on some occasions because of those wheels.

Many of the other guys swear by the bigger (and often wider) 95 duro wheels for their boards.

Also, I am not sure if it is the different urethane mix, but the older 97 and 95 formulas in OJ and Slimeballs (usually in the bigger wheel sizes) were so much better than wheels like the Nomads on slippery stuff.

Nomads worked well on bitumen / asphalt roads, rough or raw old concrete but slipped out a lot on wood and skatelite.

I do have one set of newer smaller Slimeballs which don't slip out as much and they are 97 duro, compared to the Nomads which are 95 duro.

The formula of a wheel is almost more important than the given durometer in some cases.

Good to know about the nomads, I might pass on them now. I love the OJ II combo 95a 60mm. They’re fast and grippy, but they’re also super wide which I’m not always in the mood for. I saw there’s some new 57mm 95a OJ team riders, I’ll definitely grab a set of those if my local shop gets any.

There’s one park I frequently skate that’s covered in several layers of graffiti, so it’s very slippery. I always have a set of 95a wheels that I’ll put on just to skate there. 95a is the perfect balance of grip and speed when it comes to slippery parks, but you are also very correct that formula/brand matters just as much if not more than advertised durometer.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5775 on: October 07, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's the point of the SPF if they aren't good on indoor ramps? Are even the softer SPF not very grippy on indoor ramps?

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #5776 on: October 07, 2022, 08:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Welp, it's decided, let's wrap it up folks, I guess there's no reason to post in this 8 year old, 193 page thread anymore

This thread was made to discuss any wheel other than Spitfire or Bones, but here we are...

Been on Loopholes for a while now but I've got the itch to try these:

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/products/dial-tone-wheel-co-del-negro-yada-yada-flat-cut-99a 

Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5777 on: October 08, 2022, 08:09:45 AM »

Good to know about the nomads, I might pass on them now. I love the OJ II combo 95a 60mm. They’re fast and grippy, but they’re also super wide which I’m not always in the mood for. I saw there’s some new 57mm 95a OJ team riders, I’ll definitely grab a set of those if my local shop gets any.

There’s one park I frequently skate that’s covered in several layers of graffiti, so it’s very slippery. I always have a set of 95a wheels that I’ll put on just to skate there. 95a is the perfect balance of grip and speed when it comes to slippery parks, but you are also very correct that formula/brand matters just as much if not more than advertised durometer.

I was keen to get a few sets of the 56 or 58mm 95 duro Natas wheels.  Ended up being very popular and I can't keep a set on any board that people like to try, as they are so keen to buy them right there and then, so yes they are a good wheel for the more normal rider in that category.

Still hadn't actually skated them more than a quick roll around on everything (and they worked well) but the guys who bought them still like them, so that is what I am basing the positive answer on for those ones.

What's the point of the SPF if they aren't good on indoor ramps? Are even the softer SPF not very grippy on indoor ramps?

Some people love them on everything.  Others find them too slippery on many surfaces.  It is just down to what you prefer and how you like your wheels to slide or stick.

The B range is said to be 20 points lower than the A range, so if a wheel is 81B, just add 20 so it would be 101A, but as there is no true A rating over 100, that whole thing kind of goes out the window for durometer.

81B = 101A
84B = 104A

Any wheel over 95 to 97A and certainly over 99A is going to be quite slick on slippery type surfaces, but those with good balance and don't push too hard into things love them for how fast they roll and how much they can easily revert tricks that anyone else might be slipping out on constantly.

Most pro vert guys are very accomplished skaters, so they have no problem skating those sorts of wheels on anything, but the more average skater who rides them could very easily be on the end of a slip and slide more often than not, if they are not so well balanced, be it a stick thin kid or a solid man beast. 

Seen pretty much all of the categories of skaters with concussions, whiplash or broken bones from riding "normal wheels" including Spitfire Formula Four, Bones SPF, OJs, Pig and many others on slick vert and other ramps at the old indoor park when they slipped out on that ramp surface.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5778 on: October 08, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »
anyone know anything about the 'reformulated' spitfire 80HDs?

bombsaway86

« Reply #5779 on: October 08, 2022, 08:29:25 PM »

They’re made to haul ass in smooth concrete parks. The “softer” SPF are still 81b which is roughly a 101a, so they’re not soft at all.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #5780 on: October 08, 2022, 08:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They’re made to haul ass in smooth concrete parks. The “softer” SPF are still 81b which is roughly a 101a, so they’re not soft at all.

They are absolutely excellent wheels for the new, smooth fresh skatepark concrete. I always say that if I lived in SoCal and had a sea of glass smooth skateparks everywhere, I’d probably skate these exclusively. 
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5781 on: October 08, 2022, 09:45:43 PM »
Im looking for a good all round wheel for the shitty pavement on the way to the skatepark and feeling alright when i get there. Also be able to powerslide on both surfaces. I currently swap between 86a ricta clouds and 99a f4 classics and its a pain. My options are

F4 conical full 54mm 97a (30% off local shop)
Or
54mm dragon wheels (order online)

What do you guys think?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5782 on: October 08, 2022, 10:10:01 PM »
Im looking for a good all round wheel for the shitty pavement on the way to the skatepark and feeling alright when i get there. Also be able to powerslide on both surfaces. I currently swap between 86a ricta clouds and 99a f4 classics and its a pain. My options are

Or

What do you guys think?

Both will be almost equally great for transit... but Dragons are a bit faster, and are easier to powerslide.

Once you get to the park, people on here will debate which one is better. I personally say Dragons hands down, but people on here say they grind better with F4 97a. People also say F4 97a feels harder, but honestly to me Dragons feel harder in how they perform so I dunno.

One thing I will say is I think they have two seperate shapes for the 54mm Dragons, so make sure you're getting the one you want. Ones a wider radial wheel, and ones a thinner classic shape.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5783 on: October 09, 2022, 02:04:01 AM »
Dragons way better for transit imo. If you sit on a lot of grinds on park stuff then maybe 97as, but if not and you need to ride over shit pavement a lot then do dragons.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5784 on: October 09, 2022, 07:02:45 PM »

Or

What do you guys think?

Same situation as you, rough ride from the bus stop to the park, park is pretty smooth.

Dragons get my vote, I rode the 95a prototypes and they made the push from bus stop to park very pleasant.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Whicker

« Reply #5785 on: October 09, 2022, 07:19:50 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback, I'll try to find some dragons in stock in Canada, might get the spitfire 97a if I can't find them right away.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5786 on: October 09, 2022, 07:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Or

What do you guys think?
[close]

Same situation as you, rough ride from the bus stop to the park, park is pretty smooth.

Dragons get my vote, I rode the 95a prototypes and they made the push from bus stop to park very pleasant.

I say get the 56mm dragons because they have a wider contact patch than the 54mm. More comparable to the conical full wheels.

gmld

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5787 on: October 09, 2022, 07:57:39 PM »

Or

What do you guys think?
Im skating the f4 97duro, Classic shape 56mm (now 55-54) and i really like them. You can feel them Just a little softer than a F4 99 and you can still slide and powerslide really good. Very fast on the street too. You'll be able to powerslide everywhere, from marble to concrete to street.

FrankRizzo

« Reply #5788 on: October 09, 2022, 08:31:12 PM »
I like how the SPF 84b chirps while cornering at high speed. I can hear the wheel scrubbing and know I am at the edge of the wheels grip.
I personally feel SPF 84b is harder to break into a slide than F4 99a. Once SPF breaks into a slide the grip goes to ice very fast. I think F4 breaks out easier on smooth concrete but the formula has more grip while sliding offering more control.

As an afterthought when SPF regains grip from a slide it is just as nasty of a transition.
I got chucked off my board last week because of the above. Hip bone smashed my glute into concrete and sent me into shock w/cold sweats and all that funness. Turned out to be a walk it off injury.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:38:08 PM by FrankRizzo »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5789 on: October 09, 2022, 09:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Or

What do you guys think?
[close]

[close]

I say get the 56mm dragons because they have a wider contact patch than the 54mm. More comparable to the conical full wheels.

I was riding the 54mm V1 (their take on the Classic shape) and they delivered even with the skinnier profile. PP really delivered a great product, riding every other wheel brand (besides F4) over rough ground is akin to torture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m