Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 232330 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1770 on: November 04, 2022, 12:23:52 AM »
Is it just me or are the 8.125 black eagles super hard to find as of late?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1771 on: December 19, 2022, 10:26:28 PM »
Has anyone skated the UNITY DLX 8.5” shape yet that at least There uses?

8.5x 32.6 x14.69

https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/tear-8-5

Seems interesting for me as I like a slightly longer than 14.5” wheelbase and I am considering sizing down a bit from all the shaped boards I’ve been riding lately.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1772 on: December 20, 2022, 04:21:31 AM »

8.5x 32.6 x14.69

Seems interesting for me as I like a slightly longer than 14.5” wheelbase and I am considering sizing down a bit from all the shaped boards I’ve been riding lately.

If I recall seeing you had a Blue Meanie or three, it is very similar in wheelbase to that and more (at the shoulder) or less (tapers), only 8.5 popsicle is straight railed right through.

So yeah longer than average wheelbase, normal popsicle with good sized kicks, still skates like a long 8.5 or a Blue Meanie without the shoulders, if that makes sense.

Not sure if or when any of those will be around in places I see, but I have only seen them online and in very limited quantities, so as both you and I are not in USA, I don't know if or when they will make it to our respective countries.

There is another DLX board out which is the 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb which seems like it would be very similar, of which I have had a lot of those and they are well liked by vert and big bowl dudes who don't want to have a super wide board but need the extra length.

The most recent one of those out was the Real Van Vark Volcanic deck.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1773 on: December 20, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
Expand Quote

8.5x 32.6 x14.69

[close]

If I recall seeing you had a Blue Meanie or three, it is very similar in wheelbase to that and more (at the shoulder) or less (tapers), only 8.5 popsicle is straight railed right through.

So yeah longer than average wheelbase, normal popsicle with good sized kicks, still skates like a long 8.5 or a Blue Meanie without the shoulders, if that makes sense.

Not sure if or when any of those will be around in places I see, but I have only seen them online and in very limited quantities, so as both you and I are not in USA, I don't know if or when they will make it to our respective countries.

There is another DLX board out which is the 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb which seems like it would be very similar, of which I have had a lot of those and they are well liked by vert and big bowl dudes who don't want to have a super wide board but need the extra length.

The most recent one of those out was the Real Van Vark Volcanic deck.

I wonder if they use the same mold for the Blue Meanie and this Unity Shape and the 8.5” Full. I never had the 8.5” Full. There’s a newer 8.5” Full out also, Tanner Van Vark Cathedral.

I guess I’ll just have to get the There deck to see for myself. I did love the Blue Meanie so if this skates similar, it should be great for me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1774 on: December 20, 2022, 04:07:56 PM »

I wonder if they use the same mold for the Blue Meanie and this Unity Shape and the 8.5” Full. I never had the 8.5” Full. There’s a newer 8.5” Full out also, Tanner Van Vark Cathedral.

I guess I’ll just have to get the There deck to see for myself. I did love the Blue Meanie so if this skates similar, it should be great for me.

Because of the longer wheelbase I would think they would be using a longer mold.

These other 8.5s with 14.75 wb and the 8.5 FULL boards are definitely longer in the middle flat than others, when I compare them.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1775 on: December 21, 2022, 07:23:30 AM »

I’m tryna see what that be like.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
« Reply #1776 on: December 23, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1777 on: December 23, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »
Re True Fit…enough with midget wheelbases…can we get Fulls back in regular production? :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1778 on: January 09, 2023, 06:43:22 PM »

Anyone know tail and nose lengths for the 8.25 and 8.5? I've been really enjoying shorter length decks lately and was thinking about trying one of these out.

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1779 on: January 10, 2023, 08:18:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because of the longer wheelbase I would think they would be using a longer mold.

These other 8.5s with 14.75 wb and the 8.5 FULL boards are definitely longer in the middle flat than others, when I compare them.

Can confirm, the Blue Meanie, Unity 8.5 and 8.5 Full are all on the same mold.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1780 on: January 10, 2023, 04:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone know tail and nose lengths for the 8.25 and 8.5? I've been really enjoying shorter length decks lately and was thinking about trying one of these out.

I haven't seen any other info, but I would imagine that nose would be around 6.9 - 7 and tail would be around 6.5 on average.

Just doing board length minus 4.25 (trucks) minus wheelbase should give the approximate total length of kicks, so that is what comes out with that process for all of the dimensions from DLX info so far.

Eg  8.38 is 31.75 with 14 wb

31.75 = 4.25 (trucks) + 14 wb + 6.5 tail + 7 nose

It is not exact, but it adds up roughly to what my other boards have when I use the same process.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It definitely makes sense.

DLX are usually really good with getting those things right, especially longer wheelbase options not eating into the kicks the way some other boards do from some woodshops.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1781 on: January 11, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »
Didn't know where else to post it but this thread seemed right

These new AH graphics are sick, does anyone else remember them doing a very similar thing like a decade ago? I think i remember having a trujillo board with the same layout and a skeleton doing something on a skateboard
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1782 on: January 11, 2023, 03:36:48 PM »
Yup, got the full set of those graphics as wall hangers and resisted skating them. What a waste that was. They're only a few years old.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1783 on: January 11, 2023, 03:38:36 PM »
BAs original squared off 9.25" shape coming back also.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1784 on: January 11, 2023, 04:09:29 PM »

These new AH graphics are sick, does anyone else remember them doing a very similar thing like a decade ago? I think i remember having a trujillo board with the same layout and a skeleton doing something on a skateboard

Lance Mountain did that series. First one I remember having was in 2009. Sometimes Lance puts prints of these online to sell

https://www.lancemountain.com/home/Prints-AH-set-2-Set-Of-10-p370692470
fuck you bama

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1785 on: January 11, 2023, 05:10:55 PM »

With the Lance Mountain graphic? I bought that board a few years ago when it was available for the second time and skated it right away because I liked how it looked so much. Turns out I liked how it skated a lot too. Wouldn’t mind getting few more to skate and possibly hang on the wall.

Isn’t the shape the same as the Grosso shape just with a 14.375” wheelbase instead of 14.75”?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1786 on: January 11, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »
Not with the Lance graphic, but as part of a new Todd Francis series.

Seems like a different shape to the Grosso shape. There is a shorter Grosso shape coming also though.

Grimple Grosso with a 14.25" WB.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #1788 on: January 11, 2023, 10:23:08 PM »

Thank you! I was just thinking about that shape today and trying to find one online. Came here after no luck to ask if it was gone for good or coming back.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1789 on: January 11, 2023, 11:21:58 PM »
Seems like a different shape to the Grosso shape. There is a shorter Grosso shape coming also though.

You are correct. I didn’t even remember that I actually have the Grosso shape with the Lance graphic in my stack and still have the setup of the BA shape that I skated a few years ago. Took some pics.

Grosso shape is longer with a narrower tail and a bit wider throughout otherwise. Longer wheelbase too as stated before. Quite similar shapes otherwise. Haven’t skated the Grosso shape so can’t compare how differently they perform.

Note: in the top down pic they are both at the same height, propped up on similar soy yoghurt cans.  :)

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1790 on: January 12, 2023, 09:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven't seen any other info, but I would imagine that nose would be around 6.9 - 7 and tail would be around 6.5 on average.

Just doing board length minus 4.25 (trucks) minus wheelbase should give the approximate total length of kicks, so that is what comes out with that process for all of the dimensions from DLX info so far.

Eg  8.38 is 31.75 with 14 wb

31.75 = 4.25 (trucks) + 14 wb + 6.5 tail + 7 nose

It is not exact, but it adds up roughly to what my other boards have when I use the same process.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It definitely makes sense.

DLX are usually really good with getting those things right, especially longer wheelbase options not eating into the kicks the way some other boards do from some woodshops.

thanks for doing the math! makes sense to me

i have the 8.38 BA deck setup atm. i was saving it for the wall, but set it up cus i missed the 8.38 shape so much. such sick graphics

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #1791 on: January 14, 2023, 07:22:38 AM »
Does this shape have a name or is it made often?Pretty football-ish and I know I'm gonna want another....

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1792 on: January 14, 2023, 11:20:03 AM »
Do any DLX brands make boards with the El Camino shape other than krooked?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1793 on: January 14, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »

8.5x 32.6 x14.69

I'm skating this right now on the Chandler Burton board.  It's alright but I'm not crazy about it. I'm like 5'11 and I definitely notice the standard things you notice with a bigger wheelbase (the nose of the board has to be higher to pop), I'll probably go back to a 14.5 or 14.38" wb after deck this but its manageable.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1794 on: January 14, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »
Does this shape have a name or is it made often?Pretty football-ish and I know I'm gonna want another....

I think that was the shape used for the AH / Supreme boards not too long ago and I see another one of the same on OCD right now, the Krooked Alternate Moonsmile in the same dimensions, so I am guessing that is going to be semi regular, but like a lot of things, I would probably stock up if you were keen on that shape, as who knows how many more or when they come out.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/krooked-alternate-moonsmile-9-1-skateboard-deck-1

* I had some thought you were in AU as well, but could be wrong.

It seems that is one that is used by / more so just Krooked although I feel like I have seen a guest AH or Real board of similar shape quite a while ago.  Those dimensions sound familiar anyway.

Real Donnelly board looks very similar

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/donnelly-stars-and-bars-custom-shape-skateboard-deck-8-88-p38912

I think it has come out in the eyes graphic and more recently in a couple of others, including the Natas art board series right now in AU shops.

Width : 8.88"
Length : 32.15"
Wheelbase : 14.62"

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:46:10 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #1795 on: January 15, 2023, 01:30:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that was the shape used for the AH / Supreme boards not too long ago and I see another one of the same on OCD right now, the Krooked Alternate Moonsmile in the same dimensions, so I am guessing that is going to be semi regular, but like a lot of things, I would probably stock up if you were keen on that shape, as who knows how many more or when they come out.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/krooked-alternate-moonsmile-9-1-skateboard-deck-1

* I had some thought you were in AU as well, but could be wrong.

Expand Quote
[close]

It seems that is one that is used by / more so just Krooked although I feel like I have seen a guest AH or Real board of similar shape quite a while ago.  Those dimensions sound familiar anyway.

Real Donnelly board looks very similar

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/donnelly-stars-and-bars-custom-shape-skateboard-deck-8-88-p38912

I think it has come out in the eyes graphic and more recently in a couple of others, including the Natas art board series right now in AU shops.

Width : 8.88"
Length : 32.15"
Wheelbase : 14.62"

Thanks! Nah I'm in France. Defo gonna look out for this shape again thou

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
« Reply #1796 on: January 17, 2023, 10:22:47 AM »
This new Raney board looks pretty fun --- 10.125 x 33.375

Found some on Cowtown's website
https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/decks/shaped/antihero/beres-big-bord-deck-10125-pid-67508

MEOW

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
    • Stardust Skate Shop avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1797 on: January 17, 2023, 12:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

8.25" true fit mold nose = 6.875" tail = 6.68"
8.5" true fit mold nose = 6.875" tail = 6.56"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1798 on: January 17, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

8.25" true fit mold nose = 6.875" tail = 6.68"
8.5" true fit mold nose = 6.875" tail = 6.56"

That's interesting, slightly longer tails with slightly shorter noses, but still proportionate to a good size board, which I can see working well.

Thanks!

nopopnostyle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1799 on: January 20, 2023, 04:18:10 AM »
True Fit 8.25 Antihero arrived today and looks amazing.
I always liked the "Normal" 8.25 DLX Shape but always felt a little less WB would make it even greater for me. This  one looks exactly like the Nose, Tail and general Shape of the "Normal" 8.25, just shorter. On the carpet it doesn't feel as short as the sub- 14" wheelbase would  make you think and I liked the 14" Wheelbase on the 8.25 Misregistered Eagle, it just had a little too much taper for my taste.
The weather sucks today and I have to work but I'll report back after the first session.