Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233779 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1200 on: January 23, 2022, 11:22:40 PM »
I’ve been noticing that the new 8.5s from DLX are all 14.38WB. Aside from being ever so slightly shorter and having less full kicks, what’s the difference between these and the 8.5 Full SE? Seems kind of redundant imo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1201 on: January 24, 2022, 03:32:51 AM »
I’ve been noticing that the new 8.5s from DLX are all 14.38WB. Aside from being ever so slightly shorter and having less full kicks, what’s the difference between these and the 8.5 Full SE? Seems kind of redundant imo

There have always been at least three different 8.5 shapes in the DLX range, so it is funny how sometimes one is made a whole lot more than another, or more recently, the longer one is left out entirely.

1.  8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb (short)
2. 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb (regular)
3. 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb (long)

The regular one was the most common a while back, then the shorter one became almost the only one that was out for a good while, but now the regular one seems to be more common, or a fairly even mix between short and regular.

The longer one was last out about 2020, or at least before pandemic shortages, but I think that is not so widely used anyway.

The other thing to note is the shorter one tapers right down at the tail end, but the regular one stays straight through, as did the longer one, both those two of which I had a lot over the years.

Edit:

Almost forgot the second part.

Full SE shapes are wider to the tip, whereas the normal ones are more pointy in the kicks.  When the Full shapes first came out they were bigger, longer, wider kicks from end to end, but as people wanted shorter boards, but still wanted the wider more squared off kicks, they turned them into the Full SE (Short edition) boards, which were very popular.

As much as they were a good selling point, the standard lines were also well loved, so they keep both around.  If you had two boards side by side, one regular and one Full SE of the same width, you would notice quite different shapes.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:47:04 AM by Woodshop »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1202 on: January 31, 2022, 04:04:09 PM »
I was comparing a new deck to my 8.5 Krooked today which has a 14.25 supposedly and noticed the holes did not line up with the other supposed 14.25 deck. I then took out some longer digital calipers and measured and the Krooked is 14.18, the other deck, a Baker, was 14.25 on the dot. Anyone else ever notice this or did I get some weird one off?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1203 on: January 31, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »
I was comparing a new deck to my 8.5 Krooked today which has a 14.25 supposedly and noticed the holes did not line up with the other supposed 14.25 deck. I then took out some longer digital calipers and measured and the Krooked is 14.18, the other deck, a Baker, was 14.25 on the dot. Anyone else ever notice this or did I get some weird one off?

You might want to give a little more info, which graphic, description easy enough, over pic, or just check the Krooked site.

They have all the catalogs for almost the past year on there, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the board.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

Not that it matters at all, but what number was on top too?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1204 on: January 31, 2022, 06:00:24 PM »
Krooked 8.5 Gonz Flowers Neon, 8.5x31.8 with a 14.25, IV stamp

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: January 31, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »

Do the rest of the dimensions add up?

Just curious if it was on another board entirely.

* The shorter 8.5 has taper, so the width at the front bolts is most likely going to be more than the middle and the back bolts, or just curious if that is the case with these new boards.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1206 on: January 31, 2022, 07:32:41 PM »

Friend had one of those 8.75” Gnarmasté with a “14.25” wb. We measured it…unquestionably more 14.1” than 14.25”.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1207 on: January 31, 2022, 08:17:05 PM »
When I laid it on my old Anti Hero when I first got it it was identical, but I don’t know the nose and tail measurements off hand. If you know those I can double check. It is a pubic hair over 8.375” across the 2 front bolts and 8.3125” at the rear most bolts. Tail is 6.5625 measured along the concave to the center of the rear bolts, nose is 7” exactly.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1208 on: January 31, 2022, 08:22:04 PM »
New AH 8.5/14wb and 8.75/14.25wb coming out, it looks like (see dlxsf IG). The 8.75 is prolly just the Gnarmaste with diff graphic. 

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1209 on: January 31, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »

That's normal for the 8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25 DLX boards. They measure closer to 8.4 x 31.7 x 14.18. That is pretty much the only shape I have been riding for the last few years.
How much for an order of ribs?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1210 on: January 31, 2022, 10:19:28 PM »
Wild shit, cuz I don’t remember liking the 8.28 with a 14.1 wheelbase at all.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
« Reply #1211 on: February 01, 2022, 04:07:49 AM »
Does anyone have any info on this deck? Specifically the width at the back truck, and tail shape ( round or square). I can’t find info anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: February 01, 2022, 04:43:17 AM »
Does anyone have any info on this deck? Specifically the width at the back truck, and tail shape ( round or square). I can’t find info anywhere. Thanks in advance.

So for both you guys, these are the boards in question.

The 8.5 was one of these, was it?

A lot of people had been saying they were getting smaller and smaller.  Just checking if you actually measured from tip to tip, length, width, from the widest point, not just the top coloured ply and wheelbase is middle to middle center of deck bolt holes.  I know a lot of people had measured incorrectly when they showed me how they measure boards.  That is the reason I ask.

The latest short 8.5 I had come through was barely 8.5 at the shoulder, but more like 8.3 or so through the body, which did taper significantly and definitely still 14.25 wb and 31.85 length.

The special edition is just this normal 9.81 shape, only in a limited edition graphic.  The ones I have measure just over 9 at the front truck and just under 9 at the back truck, but 169 Indy trucks still worked well enough on them, as would a normal 9" truck, or if you don't want any truck showing, a 159 with medium sized wheels.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: February 01, 2022, 04:53:02 AM »

More info on that shape in this older post with top and bottom views (both the same boards even though they look different in those pics):

Krooked Gonz Sweatpants decks

Big boy boards, coming in at 9.81 x 32 with a 14.38 wheelbase, so definitely a really good shaped larger deck, about 9.3 over the front trucks but significantly less - about 8.8 - over the back trucks, so I still hadn't set either up from way back when I bought them.

The plan was some Indy 169s and about 58 to 60 mm wheels, but torn between setting one up as a cruiser or a regular ride. You could say with two there could be one of each, but I don't think I am that keen right this minute.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1214 on: February 01, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »
For width I measure with the concave from the outside to outside not just the top ply. For wheelbase I measure the middle of the holes. I measure 2 lengths- one is tip to tip and the other is with the concave. I have some larger digital calipers that go up to 18” that I use for WB.

The other 8.5 I had was the Grant Taylor Anti Hero with the MS Paint looking Eagle and it was identical. I then got the 8.4 shape and it was a hair wider, but visibly so.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1215 on: February 01, 2022, 10:57:45 AM »
I need that 8.75 with the 14.25 in my life.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: February 01, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »

Big boy boards, coming in at 9.81 x 32 with a 14.38 wheelbase, so definitely a really good shaped larger deck, about 9.3 over the front trucks but significantly less - about 8.8 - over the back trucks, so I still hadn't set either up from way back when I bought them.

The plan was some Indy 169s and about 58 to 60 mm wheels, but torn between setting one up as a cruiser or a regular ride. You could say with two there could be one of each, but I don't think I am that keen right this minute.

I was super interested to see what a board that size would ride like with a 14.38wb (my favorite wb / always ride the 8.25/14.38), so I got one. It's a tank, but a really fun tank. I set mine up with 169s and Spit Classic 55mm. Might drop down to 159s. It's a bit more of a cruiser for me, but I liked it so much I got another one, in case they discontinue the shape. 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: February 01, 2022, 03:25:12 PM »
For width I measure with the concave from the outside to outside not just the top ply. For wheelbase I measure the middle of the holes. I measure 2 lengths- one is tip to tip and the other is with the concave. I have some larger digital calipers that go up to 18” that I use for WB.

The other 8.5 I had was the Grant Taylor Anti Hero with the MS Paint looking Eagle and it was identical. I then got the 8.4 shape and it was a hair wider, but visibly so.

Sounds like you are sorted then, which is good.

Who knows what is going on with the shapes though...

Expand Quote

[close]

I was super interested to see what a board that size would ride like with a 14.38wb (my favorite wb / always ride the 8.25/14.38), so I got one. It's a tank, but a really fun tank. I set mine up with 169s and Spit Classic 55mm. Might drop down to 159s. It's a bit more of a cruiser for me, but I liked it so much I got another one, in case they discontinue the shape.

Ha yeah it is a fun one!

There seems to be a lot of interest in that shape, so I think that will still be around for a long while.

As much as there is significant taper, at least it is still fairly wide and squared in the tail, which makes it so much fun for tail blocks, as well as still being functional for any normal skating too, just on a bigger board.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: February 01, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah it is a fun one!

There seems to be a lot of interest in that shape, so I think that will still be around for a long while.

As much as there is significant taper, at least it is still fairly wide and squared in the tail, which makes it so much fun for tail blocks, as well as still being functional for any normal skating too, just on a bigger board.

Tail Blocks on that thing are incredible. It actually wasn’t that hard to kickflip, either. Haven’t tried a Tre on it…and doubt I ever will, for that matter.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: February 01, 2022, 03:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah it is a fun one!

[close]

Tail Blocks on that thing are incredible. It actually wasn’t that hard to kickflip, either. Haven’t tried a Tre on it…and doubt I ever will, for that matter.

Another one from the 9+ thread:

Got the deck for cheap off a guy who gripped it with clear and rode it once. Even with a heatgun the clear grip was a pita to remove, couldn’t get any large pieces to peel off so it came off in a bunch of tiny chunks and looked like peeling dead feet skin. Nasty. Left a circle of it.

Cruiser wheels until I replace these 169’s, way beyond their lifespan for grinds.
Can’t decide between Ace 55/66/77 or Indy 215. The board is about 9.5/8.8 over the trucks. Leaning towards 215 cuz they’re novel but I want the quickest steering I can get on the SS Sweatpants 🛥

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1220 on: February 04, 2022, 07:17:24 AM »

posted in the egg thread, but thought I would share it here too!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: February 04, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »

I was just thinking this would be good here as well.

Expand Quote
I sent him a DM and here are the dimensions of the sample! it seems he wanted to maintain the same wb as the standard 8.06 shape to keep it consistent.

8.25" x 31.82" // 14.38"
[close]
lol I also dm'ed him about that board and he mentioned to me that it's not really a football shape and he was going for an "old girl board type shape." It's really sick that he takes the time of his day to interact with regular people like us!

Yeah!  For sure.

I think a lot of people would be keen to try that shape out, even those who prefer shorter wheelbases.

The width and length alone are right where most people like their boards, it would seem.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1222 on: February 04, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »
What’s the next closest shape to the 8.5/31.8 that isn’t the 8.4? 8.25 Full SE?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1223 on: February 04, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »

Dimension wise, yes aside from width, everything else is pretty close, but I've tried both and they felt super different. Not sure how to explain it but maybe it's because I like fuller nose and tails. The 8.5x31.8 DLX shape is by far my least favorite. Can't make it feel right despite trying various truck and wheel combos. The 8.75 deck with the 14.25wb also comes close in terms of specs but I haven't tried it yet

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1224 on: February 05, 2022, 01:01:33 AM »

Isn't almost everything else around that more like 32 long?

Not a big difference, 31.85 to 32 even, but I know I really liked the slightly longer board much more than the shorter 8.5 shape.

There are:

8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb (Normal board, more often Antihero)
8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb * Manderson shape (big full kicks?)
8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb (Real Full SE)

So yes that is probably about the closest if you didn't want the normal 8.4 but overall those boards felt so good and just worked when I had a few after riding the 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb and wanted a wider board.

Was the 8.38 Manderson the really big one you had?

I still haven't seen one in person but the pics look really full shaped when I have seen them online, not just the stock graphic pic, but the actual board pics.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: February 05, 2022, 01:14:48 AM »

For reference, here are the two to compare, both the same length and wheelbase, almost the same width, but significantly different when you see the tops of the normal 8.4 board and then the 8.38 Manderson shape:

8.4 (normal shape)

8.38 Manderson shape

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: February 05, 2022, 01:17:23 AM »

Was happy to see the new Krooked Mermaid on that 9.81" shape. That thing needs to stay around.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: February 05, 2022, 01:46:58 AM »
Some boards are harder to find decent pics of than others.

I guess you could always just look at the Real site anyway:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

I finally found a good 8.25 Full SE to compare it to now as well.

Just to add one more, this was an original 8.25 Full (Not Full SE) but the shape of the nose and tail are consistent with the Full boards.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:05:56 AM by Woodshop »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1228 on: February 05, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »

posted in the egg thread, but thought I would share it here too!
i bounce between 8.06, 8.125, and 8.28 so im thinking i want this.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: February 09, 2022, 02:28:32 PM »

From the 14" wheelbase thread:

Expand Quote
The new Tommy G real deck is 9.2 x 32 x 13.75wb
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Guerrero_Knees_Deck/descpage-RLGKN92DK.html

Tough to tell just how much it tapers over the truck but I’m guessing it’s in the 8.75 range.
[close]

I got this today and for anyone wondering it tapers to 8.5 on the back trucks and is 9 on the front. Somewhat similar to the couch, with obviously more of a shovel nose. Looking forward to skating it.