Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541650 times)

ToshiroTownune

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4350 on: January 29, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
9.25" Couch... The 151s seemed to fit my last one well but this one looks a little magic carpet in real life. Tempted to put my 55s on it but it will be pretty squirrely with Aces...

[close]

Skating 169s on a couch shape right now.  They’re a little noticeable sticking out in the back depending on what angle you’re looking down at but it’s not too bad.

Such a surprisingly good shape.  Had to rein myself in from preemptively buying another one of the same deck.
[close]

Took mine out for a quick flat/ curb session and I am now in the same boat... want another to stockpile... so fun. The 151s work so well with the short wheelbase. Made the transition from a 14.75 WB with Aces feel pretty seamless.

Was just looking for some couches after digging the loveseat. KCDC has a couple available for 25% off with code BOMBO25 (from the sale gear thread). Craig has a variety that you can get 10% off with code NINECLUB.

Fhk

« Reply #4351 on: January 29, 2022, 02:52:29 PM »
8.75"
Perfect! I was just making sure my 6.1s would be gtg..appreciate it

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #4352 on: January 29, 2022, 03:18:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I wanna buy one of these pretty bad as they're a Milwaukee based company (my home town). They come in 8.25-10".

Anyone know what woodshop the shovelhead shape is from? It says made in USA so I assume South Central or Pennswood.

https://store.beercity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=56697051e01aba427db076ec684b615d&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BCOS&Product_Code=BCSK8SHSPRIGDE919&Category_Code=BCS

[close]

Beer City has their own wood shop I believe. They’re boards are really sturdy. Definitely a solid pickup and they last forever I’ve heard. I have one but I never skated it.

They have their own wood shop for sure…pretty sure it’s the same company Santa Cruz used back in the 90’s ( furniture company in WI.). Super sturdy wood/ mid concave. I had a wide mouth shape 8.5 a few years ago and it was great.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4353 on: January 29, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna buy one of these pretty bad as they're a Milwaukee based company (my home town). They come in 8.25-10".

Anyone know what woodshop the shovelhead shape is from? It says made in USA so I assume South Central or Pennswood.

https://store.beercity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=56697051e01aba427db076ec684b615d&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BCOS&Product_Code=BCSK8SHSPRIGDE919&Category_Code=BCS

[close]

Beer City has their own wood shop I believe. They’re boards are really sturdy. Definitely a solid pickup and they last forever I’ve heard. I have one but I never skated it.
[close]

They have their own wood shop for sure…pretty sure it’s the same company Santa Cruz used back in the 90’s ( furniture company in WI.). Super sturdy wood/ mid concave. I had a wide mouth shape 8.5 a few years ago and it was great.

They didn't want to give any more info but Regulator is the Distro (which also includes the woodshop) for their boards.

I had a few pass through my hands a while back and they did seem like decent boards, although I didn't set any up so didn't get to skate any either.

* I just remembered - An old (really old and totally thrashed out) 1031 deck came in from someone a long time ago when they got a new board and I had a stand on it, so although totally flexed out and almost an inch off the kicks, that thing was still skateable, which is more than I could say for some other boards.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #4354 on: January 29, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »
I used to ride a lot of 1031 boards. So if Regulator did their(1031/Beer City) decks the woods comparable to BBS.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4355 on: January 31, 2022, 09:24:43 AM »

I know it’s probably sacrilegious to say this here but I didn’t get on too well with the 215s so I threw on a pair of 159s with some 60mm OJs and this is now one of the nicest cruisers I’ve ever skated!
Nah. 159 is a fun size and to me more practical. I actually prefer the bullet 185mm to the 215s. Enjoy your setup.

https://www.tactics.com/bullet/standard-skate-trucks/silver-185mm

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4356 on: January 31, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
https://tgmskateboards.com/skateboards-longboard/skateboards/decks/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=411

Couches, loveseats and Phawts for $43 with free shipping...

Please everyone buy these up before I feel compelled...

kevs.clips

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4357 on: January 31, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »
Been rockin this at the indoor for the past couple weeks. The Polar Dane1 is the most fun skateboard I've ridden - I'm on my third one!

Polar Dane1 with Mob Grip
Ace AF1 66s with Krux K5 Kingpins (Stock Bottom bushing, Indy Super Soft White top)
Bones 56mm V6 99a STFs (RollerSurfer)
Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4358 on: February 01, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »

Got the deck for cheap off a guy who gripped it with clear and rode it once. Even with a heatgun the clear grip was a pita to remove, couldn’t get any large pieces to peel off so it came off in a bunch of tiny chunks and looked like peeling dead feet skin. Nasty. Left a circle of it.

Cruiser wheels until I replace these 169’s, way beyond their lifespan for grinds.
Can’t decide between Ace 55/66/77 or Indy 215. The board is about 9.5/8.8 over the trucks. Leaning towards 215 cuz they’re novel but I want the quickest steering I can get on the SS Sweatpants 🛥

oliknight

« Reply #4359 on: February 01, 2022, 12:05:20 PM »

Got the deck for cheap off a guy who gripped it with clear and rode it once. Even with a heatgun the clear grip was a pita to remove, couldn’t get any large pieces to peel off so it came off in a bunch of tiny chunks and looked like peeling dead feet skin. Nasty. Left a circle of it.

Cruiser wheels until I replace these 169’s, way beyond their lifespan for grinds.
Can’t decide between Ace 55/66/77 or Indy 215. The board is about 9.5/8.8 over the trucks. Leaning towards 215 cuz they’re novel but I want the quickest steering I can get on the SS Sweatpants 🛥

In my opinion 215s are way to big unless you like your wheels to stick out the side, I had 169s on this decks and that was pretty perfect but now I have 159s with some 54mm ojs and it’s really nice as a cruiser but also feels nice for tricks :)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #4360 on: February 01, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »

I have Ace 55 classics on mine and I love the steering on em.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4361 on: February 01, 2022, 03:34:47 PM »

So good, but I wouldn't go for 215s on anything besides a 10+ pig.  Others ride it with 169s or around 9" trucks (Ace 55 or AF1 66) and it works really well.

The 215s are just too big overall for me on almost everything, but in saying that some people love them on anything.

Crazy how people set up boards and then get rid of them so quickly too and I would have been straight into getting rid of the clear grip too.

I feel like more and more of these Gonz decks are coming up, as per the DLX thread, where we were just talking about this board, so I copied your post to there as well.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.1200;topicseen

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 03:43:35 PM by Woodshop »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4362 on: February 01, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »
New Juan

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4363 on: February 01, 2022, 05:17:01 PM »
Been rockin this at the indoor for the past couple weeks. The Polar Dane1 is the most fun skateboard I've ridden - I'm on my third one!

Ace AF1 66s with Krux K5 Kingpins (Stock Bottom bushing, Indy Super Soft White top)
Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓

Beautiful setup.

I also think the Dane 1 is the most fun shape and especially fun to spice up my usual grinds, slides, sometimes manuals street skating by adapting to the shape.  I’m waiting for Polar to put out another graphic of it in a new drop so I can stock up.  I had the same one you have but the graphics a little too busy for me to commit to buying multiple decks. 

kevs.clips

« Reply #4364 on: February 01, 2022, 10:36:35 PM »
Expand Quote
*pics*
Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓
[close]

Beautiful setup.

I also think the Dane 1 is the most fun shape and especially fun to spice up my usual grinds, slides, sometimes manuals street skating by adapting to the shape.  I’m waiting for Polar to put out another graphic of it in a new drop so I can stock up.  I had the same one you have but the graphics a little too busy for me to commit to buying multiple decks.

Word thank you! Totally agree with you. Hoping there's a new wheelwell version this next drop. I hear you on this graphic - I'm into it overall it's definitely a unique one. my partner was wondering why I bought a board with a dead bart simpson on it hahahaha.

purjo00

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4365 on: February 01, 2022, 10:51:02 PM »

Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓

Lovely setup!
Do you have risers on your setup since you are having 56mm wheels?

I´m on my first Dane 1 and totally in love with it. I´m with Ace 66 classics instead, but got quite heave wheelbite issues with 54mm Spitfire tablets. So I made wheelwells by hand (front only), got better but would hit wheelbite if going up to 56mm that I would like try.

kevs.clips

« Reply #4366 on: February 01, 2022, 11:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
*pics*

Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓
[close]

Lovely setup!

I´m on my first Dane 1 and totally in love with it. I´m with Ace 66 classics instead, but got quite heave wheelbite issues with 54mm Spitfire tablets. So I made wheelwells by hand (front only), got better but would hit wheelbite if going up to 56mm that I would like try.

Hey thanks so much!!
Yeah, I rock a 1/8th riser - should've mentioned that. I still get a little wheelbite every once in a while but not too bad. I'd say I ride my trucks on the looser side of medium, but not anything crazy. I think with 1/8th + wheelwells you'd have no issues at all!

purjo00

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4367 on: February 01, 2022, 11:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
*pics*

Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓
[close]

Lovely setup!

[close]

Hey thanks so much!!
Yeah, I rock a 1/8th riser - should've mentioned that. I still get a little wheelbite every once in a while but not too bad. I'd say I ride my trucks on the looser side of medium, but not anything crazy. I think with 1/8th + wheelwells you'd have no issues at all!

Thanks! I´ll give it a try next time we have dry concrete again. Now it´s covered in snow again...
Time for some love to the bearings.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4368 on: February 02, 2022, 04:22:34 AM »
New Juan

Love it, what are the dims?

Also, how often does Scram put out new decks? Everything they release is so rad but sold out everywhere (Like the 8.75-9" Fink Planet deck).

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4369 on: February 02, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »
N:7 3/8” T:6 5/8” WB:14 1/2”(center/center) L:33 3/16” W:9”
Black Market had 11 when I got this and it looks like they’re down to 4 now. Same shape as the wishmaster they did a while back but 1/4” longer over all and nose is longer and steeper on this one.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4370 on: February 02, 2022, 07:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote
New Juan

[close]

Love it, what are the dims?

Also, how often does Scram put out new decks? Everything they release is so rad but sold out everywhere (Like the 8.75-9" Fink Planet deck).

I think not being a very big company, they might have had more significant delays and setbacks with all the pandemic delays in production and other issues, when compared to some of the bigger companies, as well as most of their stuff not being updated a whole lot, but you could DM them and ask about it.

If you didn't get a reply, it might be easier asking the shop that has some when they last brought some out.

Their product pics and highlights are from a while ago now, that's for sure.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4371 on: February 02, 2022, 08:14:41 PM »
The new curb crusher looks good..

braksabbath

« Reply #4372 on: February 02, 2022, 09:35:48 PM »
I want to like Scram more but the shapes and art make it look more like Bulldog Skates barney gear than anything else

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4373 on: February 03, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »
Current big setups -

Winkowski 10.4
Indy 169 standard
OJ 56mm Insaneathane

Heroin Big Egg 9.125 (tapered nose and tail)
Indy 159 standard hollow
F4 101a 54mm conicals

Holy shit that Winkowski graphic is one of the best I've ever seen. Found the artist Ken Taylor from Australia but unfortunately I don't think he's done any other decks that I can find.

Bittersweet browsing the older pages of these threads and finding shit you want so badly but will never have.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #4374 on: February 03, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
Winkowski's are beautiful shapes with the craziest graphics.

animalflesh

« Reply #4375 on: February 03, 2022, 02:46:55 PM »
I want to like Scram more but the shapes and art make it look more like Bulldog Skates barney gear than anything else

When they first kicked it off I was loving everything that came out… and then they did the thing that every company like this does and just all started skating transition only and taking cues from 70s and 80s “punk” brands… kinda losing individuality

I love the skaters on the brand and nolan but it doesn’t appeal to me as much anymore

Rodogulous

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4376 on: February 03, 2022, 06:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So good, but I wouldn't go for 215s on anything besides a 10+ pig.  Others ride it with 169s or around 9" trucks (Ace 55 or AF1 66) and it works really well.

The 215s are just too big overall for me on almost everything, but in saying that some people love them on anything.

Crazy how people set up boards and then get rid of them so quickly too and I would have been straight into getting rid of the clear grip too.

I feel like more and more of these Gonz decks are coming up, as per the DLX thread, where we were just talking about this board, so I copied your post to there as well.

Agree re 215s. I had 215s on my Krooked Gonz initially and they were just way too wide - heaps of wheel bite and hot-rodding all over the place. Settled on 159s which are perfect at the rear and probably a bit narrow at the front, so I think i'd be comfortable running 169s or 159s on this deck.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4377 on: February 04, 2022, 06:54:50 AM »

I actually quite like it. I still have some boards at home and they were pretty good. I don't really mind the graphics.
Only complaint I have is that the boards are usually a bit short (around 31.00-31.5)

braksabbath

« Reply #4378 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agree re 215s. I had 215s on my Krooked Gonz initially and they were just way too wide - heaps of wheel bite and hot-rodding all over the place. Settled on 159s which are perfect at the rear and probably a bit narrow at the front, so I think i'd be comfortable running 169s or 159s on this deck.

Got some barely used 169’s for $20, cha ching

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4379 on: February 04, 2022, 09:36:58 AM »
The rails on that board are killing me. Why are they two different lengths?