Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225762 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1680 on: September 29, 2022, 08:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently in the shop I saw a II that was like the bottom and III that were the others. Like reverse of what you'd expect. Are all those boards from the same run? Maybe the one I saw was a pure anomaly, but they have another Kyle Walker in there that's similar. I don't like steep decks so I always check kicks.
[close]

I definitely have seen some that are maybe from mellow molds and others from normal or steeper molds, example all in these 8.38 boards, a couple of teal topped boards that both had stamped  "I" on them were more mellow than anything else and I love them.

Chances are they were the top stack on that mellow mold and the mellow board I got as per the pic above, which is a "IV" is definitely the bottom of the mellow mold stack, which would explain why that one was so much more mellow than the normal molds "IV" boards.

I was a bit of a pain and always asked for the "IV" from any of the boards I would order, if no "IV", then any "III" and so on, but while in some stores after my own shop closed, standing on those other teal tops that were stamped with a "I" and I was just thinking "This is perfect" so didn't care how much it cost and was stoked to get a board that was just right for exactly how I wanted it.

Found a couple of other since, all teal tops maybe from the same run, couple of different graphics all in 8.38 size.

I am probably such a painful customer when I go into shops as I like to stand on any and every board that catches my eye, but most places have a good carpet mat or something to stand on, so not a worry there.

[close]

This is where the single press should come into play, if you are making a specialty concave, it should be consistent, now, if you want that mold, you have to decide mellow? not mellow? sort of mellow?

Just set up a Hause 8.25 Full SE (it's a III), really looking forward to riding it; it's been years since I touched that shape...and still measures 8.3" (not 8.25 or 8.35/.75 etc). Would have preferred a I or II but w/e, close enough to the Manderson II I have setup...the shapes are not that far off if say, the Manderson didn't drop that often.

Probably a case of most skaters not giving a shit and even the ones that do will still get a deck that comes close to their preference instead of waiting or scouring other shops. Idk much about deck presses, is pressing 4 at a time more economical than single press? Would switching to single press up deck prices?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1681 on: September 29, 2022, 08:24:52 PM »
It's been said many times and at some point by a DLX employee, the shape dimensions are more unique labels than actual measurements. I got lucky since I skated the 8.25, which is an 8.38 and it put me onto bigger boards. What's kind of annoying is that you start mixing different wheelbases and the shapes completely change feel in weird increments. The Navy 8.5 Eagle shape feels smaller than an 8.38 or any of the full SE that are <= 8.5. And then they do shapes like the SE which they seem to not consistently release and it's kind of a cluster fuck to make your way through all the shapes and find one you really like. They already have specific shape labels just call it something unique and put the real measurements.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 06:49:28 AM by LebowskisRug »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1682 on: September 30, 2022, 03:02:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently in the shop I saw a II that was like the bottom and III that were the others. Like reverse of what you'd expect. Are all those boards from the same run? Maybe the one I saw was a pure anomaly, but they have another Kyle Walker in there that's similar. I don't like steep decks so I always check kicks.
[close]

I definitely have seen some that are maybe from mellow molds and others from normal or steeper molds, example all in these 8.38 boards, a couple of teal topped boards that both had stamped  "I" on them were more mellow than anything else and I love them.

Chances are they were the top stack on that mellow mold and the mellow board I got as per the pic above, which is a "IV" is definitely the bottom of the mellow mold stack, which would explain why that one was so much more mellow than the normal molds "IV" boards.

I was a bit of a pain and always asked for the "IV" from any of the boards I would order, if no "IV", then any "III" and so on, but while in some stores after my own shop closed, standing on those other teal tops that were stamped with a "I" and I was just thinking "This is perfect" so didn't care how much it cost and was stoked to get a board that was just right for exactly how I wanted it.

Found a couple of other since, all teal tops maybe from the same run, couple of different graphics all in 8.38 size.

I am probably such a painful customer when I go into shops as I like to stand on any and every board that catches my eye, but most places have a good carpet mat or something to stand on, so not a worry there.

[close]

This is where the single press should come into play, if you are making a specialty concave, it should be consistent, now, if you want that mold, you have to decide mellow? not mellow? sort of mellow?

Just set up a Hause 8.25 Full SE (it's a III), really looking forward to riding it; it's been years since I touched that shape...and still measures 8.3" (not 8.25 or 8.35/.75 etc). Would have preferred a I or II but w/e, close enough to the Manderson II I have setup...the shapes are not that far off if say, the Manderson didn't drop that often.
[close]

Probably a case of most skaters not giving a shit and even the ones that do will still get a deck that comes close to their preference instead of waiting or scouring other shops. Idk much about deck presses, is pressing 4 at a time more economical than single press? Would switching to single press up deck prices?

I could be wrong, but if BBS and PS Stix (who both use four per press method) went to single board pressings, production would be quartered, so an output of 25,000 decks instead of 100,000 for the same time, expenses, employee wages, etc which would make them prohibitive in price for the current model of business.

Really at the end of the day, I don't have an issue with which ever one I get in the press, as per the four 8.38 decks I just got recently, which oddly enough are one of each, a I, a II, a III and a IV.  They do fit well into each other so I am going to need to park on the I for longer than I would for the IV, but they will all end up about the same angle of kicks when I am done with that process.  The sideways concave might be a bit more on some, so I would use the "I" more for ramp / transition and the "IV" more for street stuff.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1683 on: September 30, 2022, 06:49:59 AM »
How do the Chinese brands manage single press and such huge production?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #1684 on: September 30, 2022, 07:32:24 AM »

Huge factories and cheap(er) labor.

Does anybody skate that AH 8.62 with 14.75 wb for their everyday setup? I’m on a 14.6 wb right now and loving it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1685 on: September 30, 2022, 02:53:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does anybody skate that AH 8.62 with 14.75 wb for their everyday setup? I’m on a 14.6 wb right now and loving it.

Yeah the labor costs in China are so minimal compared even to Mexico that it was a no brainer for companies to move production over there, from as early as they could.

Even with shipping containers sending wood over and bringing boards back, it still worked out way cheaper.

Although I have one 8.62 set up, it is not my regular rider, but yes the 14.75 wb is so good for people who want that little bit more stability, or are taller, or those guys who skate vert or big bowl.

Couldn't see it on Venture or Thunder, but most people who skate it (myself included) ride it with Indy 159s and it works well.  Mine currently has Classic 58mm wheels on it as it was more a big transition board, but they still work well for everything and have a straighter shape than the 8.75 too.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1686 on: September 30, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »

In china they do 5+ decks per press, but they make their molds different. They have similar top and bottom molds to their presses, with separate aluminum molds with both top and bottom shapes each that go in between the decks in the stack. This is how they can press just as many or more decks with great consistency and with a minimal amount of extra labor. The cost to upgrade the current presses used in America to fit this production model might cost to much for them to modernize since they are likely using the same presses they have had for years and it also costs more to make each set of Molds.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1687 on: September 30, 2022, 06:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In china they do 5+ decks per press, but they make their molds different. They have similar top and bottom molds to their presses, with separate aluminum molds with both top and bottom shapes each that go in between the decks in the stack. This is how they can press just as many or more decks with great consistency and with a minimal amount of extra labor. The cost to upgrade the current presses used in America to fit this production model might cost to much for them to modernize since they are likely using the same presses they have had for years and it also costs more to make each set of Molds.

https://youtu.be/TbkLpl_jnuo?t=263 (straight to the mold discussion)

https://youtu.be/TbkLpl_jnuo

I could be wrong, but if BBS and PS Stix (who both use four per press method) went to single board pressings, production would be quartered, so an output of 25,000 decks instead of 100,000 for the same time, expenses, employee wages, etc which would make them prohibitive in price for the current model of business.

No doubt; their volume turn out would be crippled. They'd have to bring in the new presses and run them until they could fully switch over.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:59:51 AM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1688 on: October 01, 2022, 01:44:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some have up to nine decks at a time in single press systems, whereas BBS and others have single press systems that take four boards.  To change all this would be more trouble than it is worth for those existing woodshops, but for new woodshops, it is an option to do something different for sure.

Example, this one in China (sorry for the annoying video though)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaLoXrtllme/

Compared to BBS

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4pPC-gsgE/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1689 on: October 01, 2022, 01:48:59 AM »

I always enjoyed watching that video, as it had so much good info and explained so much about how boards are made.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #1690 on: October 01, 2022, 06:08:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah the labor costs in China are so minimal compared even to Mexico that it was a no brainer for companies to move production over there, from as early as they could.

Even with shipping containers sending wood over and bringing boards back, it still worked out way cheaper.

Although I have one 8.62 set up, it is not my regular rider, but yes the 14.75 wb is so good for people who want that little bit more stability, or are taller, or those guys who skate vert or big bowl.

Couldn't see it on Venture or Thunder, but most people who skate it (myself included) ride it with Indy 159s and it works well.  Mine currently has Classic 58mm wheels on it as it was more a big transition board, but they still work well for everything and have a straighter shape than the 8.75 too.

Thanks, Yeah I ride 159s, but I don’t usually skate transition over 5ft. Tempting still because  I rarely rocket tricks on longer wb boards. Wonder if I will be able to tell the difference between 14.6 and 14.75. I notice hopping on a ledge backside with a longer wb takes is harder or I need to pop earlier.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1691 on: October 01, 2022, 07:56:24 AM »

I always enjoyed watching that video, as it had so much good info and explained so much about how boards are made.

Yea, def a good one DSM vid explains a lot.

Here's an older BBS one.

https://youtu.be/k3VLKzOGD3I
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:36:32 AM by Xen »

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #1692 on: October 04, 2022, 12:09:55 PM »
Maybe this isn’t the best place for this but I think it’s better here than questions that don’t deserve their own thread:
Has anyone tried the 8.4 14.25 Anti Hero shape with Thunder 148’s? I know theoretically it will work because it’s within a quarter of an inch but I’d just like to hear from anyone who rode these two together. I just picked up the 8.4 and my shop is out of Thunder 149 of any style.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1693 on: October 04, 2022, 04:47:24 PM »
Maybe this isn’t the best place for this but I think it’s better here than questions that don’t deserve their own thread:
Has anyone tried the 8.4 14.25 Anti Hero shape with Thunder 148’s? I know theoretically it will work because it’s within a quarter of an inch but I’d just like to hear from anyone who rode these two together. I just picked up the 8.4 and my shop is out of Thunder 149 of any style.

I really liked the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb before I moved up to longer boards.

Not that exact setup with Thunder 148s, but I would say yes to the deck and to Thunder trucks (I had 149s on it but I like wider trucks on anything) or others who have 8.25 trucks on that board and said it works well for them.

If you were worried about the trucks not being wide enough, two or even three washers on the inside, none on the outside of each wheel and that should give you a little more truck width to board, but yes that size and shape works for quite a few people, who want their deck to sit just a little wider than their wheels.

That shape has nice long kicks too, which work well for me with the Thunder or Venture truck geometry.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #1694 on: October 04, 2022, 11:05:32 PM »

Yes, I have tried it. It is a good combo, although I prefer the DLX 8.5 14.25 with 148s.
How much for an order of ribs?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1695 on: October 05, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks. I think I’m gonna try it out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1696 on: October 05, 2022, 04:44:25 PM »
Anyone ever find something close to the Manderson but with a 14.3x WB (and preferably 32” or under)?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:53:10 PM by Xen »

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1697 on: October 06, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »
Anyone ever find something close to the Manderson but with a 14.3x WB (and preferably 32” or under)?
Frog makes one but I’m pretty sure the wheelbase is 14.25. Some of the 8.38 shapes they have are 14.38 tho.  Here’s one’s that’s on sale too
https://www.unionskates.com/shop/p/frog-toast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1698 on: October 06, 2022, 03:34:50 PM »
That shape is the BBS generic shape, not like the Manderson. The Mando has a pretty large nose and square kicks and I'm unaware of any other shape that is approximately those dimensions at least on BBS wood. Maybe a mellow Quasi, but those are PS and have a smaller tail.

I did see a Baker Kader 8.38 B2 last week that was 14.38 and probably decently close. It looked mildly more square than my normal BBS generic 8.38 go-to and isn't actually much if at all steeper. There were some Deathwish shapes in the same stack that looked less pointy than Baker so maybe one of theirs is worth looking into.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1699 on: October 06, 2022, 09:03:42 PM »
That shape is the BBS generic shape, not like the Manderson. The Mando has a pretty large nose and square kicks and I'm unaware of any other shape that is approximately those dimensions at least on BBS wood. Maybe a mellow Quasi, but those are PS and have a smaller tail.

I did see a Baker Kader 8.38 B2 last week that was 14.38 and probably decently close. It looked mildly more square than my normal BBS generic 8.38 go-to and isn't actually much if at all steeper. There were some Deathwish shapes in the same stack that looked less pointy than Baker so maybe one of theirs is worth looking into.

I'm a fan of the B2 (oddly, I learned a lot of spine transfer stuff on two of them); all the bakers I see at that width or above are usually listed as 14.5" WB and you never know if you can trust them or not. Do you recall the graphic? Was it the furries (32.25" x 14.5" WB = no bueno).

https://holisticskateshop.com/products/baker-b2-kader-our-fury-friends-deck-8-3

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1700 on: October 06, 2022, 10:59:32 PM »

The B2 board that I have is definitely long, 32.25 with 14.38 wb (not 14.5), same as @LebowskisRug said, but not at all as wide in the 8.38 / 8.375 size, which was more like 8.25 and a bit when compared to the other 8.38 boards I have, but I like the DLX 8.38 for almost being 8.5 anyway, so the width might be good for some people.

Just shave a bit off the nose and tail if you aren't a fan of longer kicks, or longer boards in general, especially the tail, as that thing was longer than most boards I compared it to.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1701 on: October 06, 2022, 11:12:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm a fan of the B2 (oddly, I learned a lot of spine transfer stuff on two of them); all the bakers I see at that width or above are usually listed as 14.5" WB and you never know if you can trust them or not. Do you recall the graphic? Was it the furries (32.25" x 14.5" WB = no bueno).

https://holisticskateshop.com/products/baker-b2-kader-our-fury-friends-deck-8-3

14.38. I almost got it so I put it on top of my current board. Id try it in the future for sure. And I don't like very steep decks. I think Casper skates this shape so hopefully I can get some of his boards.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1702 on: October 08, 2022, 01:30:56 PM »
Already posted in the setup thread but here we go:

Anti Hero 8.4/ 14.25/ 32 II in the stack
Thunder 148
I was worried I was going to need the 149 but so far it skates pretty nimble and the trucks are turning a little more sharp than before ( not a bad thing for Thunder). Also I broke out the tape measure and the dims are spot on with the sticker if anyone is curious.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1703 on: October 08, 2022, 08:22:50 PM »

Phao Lo

• Rep: 53
« Reply #1704 on: October 11, 2022, 10:05:31 PM »
Mis-Registered Eagle 8.25 https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/mis-registered-eagle-825-skateboard-deck/brown

Width (in)8.25
Length (in)31.5
Wheelbase (in)14.0
Nose (in)6.875
Tail (in)6.625

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1705 on: October 12, 2022, 05:17:07 AM »
Mis-Registered Eagle 8.25 https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/mis-registered-eagle-825-skateboard-deck/brown

Width (in)8.25
Length (in)31.5
Wheelbase (in)14.0
Nose (in)6.875
Tail (in)6.625
Whoa.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1706 on: October 12, 2022, 08:08:26 PM »
misregisted huffer next?
ill dare to dream
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1707 on: October 12, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »
misregisted huffer next?
ill dare to dream

Ooooh that could be good... with a shorter WB like the others?

Best message DLX.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1708 on: October 12, 2022, 09:30:01 PM »
Just curious for all the DLX junkies out there...what is your favorite and second favorite DLX shape?

Mine:

1st: 8.25/14.38
2nd: 8.75/14.62
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #1709 on: October 12, 2022, 10:28:17 PM »
Just curious for all the DLX junkies out there...what is your favorite and second favorite DLX shape?

Mine:

1st: 8.25/14.38
2nd: 8.75/14.62

Hands down the 8.28" x 31.7" x 14.12"
preferably on a 1 or 2 but I'll take what I can get.
I usually grab 2 boards at a time in case I can't find one