Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233668 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2010 on: June 16, 2023, 07:59:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
finally decided to set up the 8.5 true fit ive been sitting on and scared to ride….kinda fuckin love it! i dont know whats up but my pop was fucking insane and it was so snappy feeling for being on Ace Classics, 56mm wheels and rails.
[close]

Mine arrived last week, but during the time I ordered it I broke the board I was riding and got a free Real board that I'm enjoying. So it'll probably be a minute before I actually try the TrueFit but I'm excited/nervous.
[close]

Updating because nobody asked, but I finally tried out the 8.5 TrueFit and had a terrible time, haha. It was snappy and it felt like tricks look less physical effort, but it also made the tricks themselves very unwieldy. I didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference but I feel like these were intended for someone much shorter than even myself.
[close]

Yeah, I don’t understand how grown men are riding some of these shapes. After skating the 8.25 14.38 for over a year, even the 8.5 14.12 feels so cramped. Even Ollie’s felt so cramped without having the extra length to level them out.

With all this recent buzz about wheelbase I just had to know. And with what will probably be the most extreme example I'll get my hands on, I feel much more assured that the boards I've been buying are just fine, haha.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2011 on: June 16, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »
Nothing better than a 14 WB for me, curious about trying loveseat @ 13.875 if I'm not mistaken
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2012 on: June 16, 2023, 08:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
finally decided to set up the 8.5 true fit ive been sitting on and scared to ride….kinda fuckin love it! i dont know whats up but my pop was fucking insane and it was so snappy feeling for being on Ace Classics, 56mm wheels and rails.
[close]

Mine arrived last week, but during the time I ordered it I broke the board I was riding and got a free Real board that I'm enjoying. So it'll probably be a minute before I actually try the TrueFit but I'm excited/nervous.
[close]

Updating because nobody asked, but I finally tried out the 8.5 TrueFit and had a terrible time, haha. It was snappy and it felt like tricks look less physical effort, but it also made the tricks themselves very unwieldy. I didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference but I feel like these were intended for someone much shorter than even myself.
[close]

Yeah, I don’t understand how grown men are riding some of these shapes. After skating the 8.25 14.38 for over a year, even the 8.5 14.12 feels so cramped. Even Ollie’s felt so cramped without having the extra length to level them out.
[close]

With all this recent buzz about wheelbase I just had to know. And with what will probably be the most extreme example I'll get my hands on, I feel much more assured that the boards I've been buying are just fine, haha.

For me the kicks on the True Fit are longer, larger, and start closer to the bolts than the narrower, shorter decks of yesteryear. That plus riding high trucks makes the whole thing feel weird. I setup an 8" with Venture Lo that feels better and actually bigger than the 8.28x14.12 let alone a True Fit.

Honestly just wish DLX would make some of their normal shapes more available specifically the 8.4 they do on occasion, and some of the Full SE shapes. Maybe 1 or less of the True Fit shapes and more of those.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2013 on: June 16, 2023, 08:11:25 AM »
...Even ollies felt hindered without having the extra length to level them out...

100%. It's like trying to swing a baseball bat, but choked way up on the handle.

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2014 on: June 16, 2023, 08:48:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For me the kicks on the True Fit are longer, larger, and start closer to the bolts than the narrower, shorter decks of yesteryear. That plus riding high trucks makes the whole thing feel weird. I setup an 8" with Venture Lo that feels better and actually bigger than the 8.28x14.12 let alone a True Fit.

Honestly just wish DLX would make some of their normal shapes more available specifically the 8.4 they do on occasion, and some of the Full SE shapes. Maybe 1 or less of the True Fit shapes and more of those.

For  awhile I was kinda obsessed with the Manderson shape Krooked makes, to the point where during the pandemic I was hunting online to order some whenever a  new season dropped. I kinda wish that was a more readily available shape cuz it was kinda nice having a slightly shorter  board.

but idk. My last board was an 8.5 Real R1 which is probably the most vanilla board  you can get, but it skated super well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2015 on: June 16, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For  awhile I was kinda obsessed with the Manderson shape Krooked makes, to the point where during the pandemic I was hunting online to order some whenever a  new season dropped. I kinda wish that was a more readily available shape cuz it was kinda nice having a slightly shorter  board.

but idk. My last board was an 8.5 Real R1 which is probably the most vanilla board  you can get, but it skated super well.

How tall are you? I'm 6 foot 3 and gaslighting myself into thinking I need a 14.25/sub 32 deck. The Manderson and the 8.4 are DLX shapes that fit the bill since they have just plain bigger kicks although the Mando sometimes can feel like its steeper than other DLX.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2016 on: June 16, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How tall are you? I'm 6 foot 3 and gaslighting myself into thinking I need a 14.25/sub 32 deck. The Manderson and the 8.4 are DLX shapes that fit the bill since they have just plain bigger kicks although the Mando sometimes can feel like its steeper than other DLX.

I'm 5'7 so definitely on the shorter side. But not short enough to enjoy that TrueFit lol

That 8.4 shape looks nice. If I see one in the wild I might try it, but for now I'm just gonna stick to regular ass 8.5s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2017 on: June 16, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm 5'7 so definitely on the shorter side. But not short enough to enjoy that TrueFit lol

That 8.4 shape looks nice. If I see one in the wild I might try it, but for now I'm just gonna stick to regular ass 8.5s.

I mean I'm kinda jealous cuz you're in the range of most skaters so sooooo much can work for you.

The 8.4 is rad! Slightly more full than the 8.5, true 14.25, slightly longer kicks I think. I dunno why they don't make it more it's always an AH and usually a random rider

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2018 on: June 16, 2023, 01:18:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but if I recall the 8.4 is...

-A hair wider than the 8.5 (which is really an 8.38)
-Def feels wider than the 8.5 because it (the 8.4) has less of a taper than the 8.5
-Slight longer than the 8.5, with that all being in the nose (e.g. nose is a tad longer than the 8.5)
-Tail/wheelbase same as the 8.5 (e.g. same shape tail, and 14.25wb)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2019 on: June 16, 2023, 05:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but if I recall the 8.4 is...

-A hair wider than the 8.5 (which is really an 8.38)
-Def feels wider than the 8.5 because it (the 8.4) has less of a taper than the 8.5
-Slight longer than the 8.5, with that all being in the nose (e.g. nose is a tad longer than the 8.5)
-Tail/wheelbase same as the 8.5 (e.g. same shape tail, and 14.25wb)

Yep that is about how the 8.4s felt, and it just skated better to me, but of all the 14.25 wb boards, the black eagle 8.125 was the best as I skated it for well over a decade, with the blue eagle just feeling a bit too different while I was on the narrow boards.

Back to the wider but similar wb boards, the new Manderson shape was changed to be one of the new tru fit boards, so that is now a solid NO from people who wanted more of them.

I do think the regular 8.5 would still be one of the most common and easy to ride, even if it is closer to 8.3 and tapers, but the few 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb boards I did ride were great, while trying to work out what I wanted when I went up from the black eagle, before I settled on the 8.38 with the 14.5 wb, as I am both a bit taller and prefer more transition and similar stuff, so it works well enough for me in that regard.

I will say though, trying other boards, like the usual BBS 8.5 x 32.3 with 14.5 wb, I really notice how much bigger they feel compared to any of the DLX boards of similar widths, so for people who like the DLX 8.5 I think that would be a good one to stick with, more so than trying to find other options which maybe less available.

The Full SE boards are definitely different in shape, usually feeling (and measuring) way bigger too, the 8.38 Full SE being maybe the better one to try than the 8.5 Full SE shape, if you are wanting to go down that route.  I liked all of the Full options for different things, as do some others, but I would say check them out in person before getting one if you are not sure.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2020 on: June 16, 2023, 05:54:44 PM »
Nah dude they make the normal Manderson shape it's the same as it always was. My local has one and I measured it today.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2021 on: June 16, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
Nah dude they make the normal Manderson shape it's the same as it always was. My local has one and I measured it today.

This was the conversation about the Manderson, the most recent release at that time, which was changed to the new tru fit shape.

If it has been restored to what it was, then sweet, but if not, then I guess it is just a case of checking and seeing in person before buying like this guy did and get something you don't want.

Given this was from a while back, things might have changed, but was it this graphic or a different one?

I am curious too, because others wanted more of that shape and if they had changed it to the tru fit, then it might become problematic for people who are shape specific about their boards.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone know if they changed the krooked manderson shape? it says 14.25 wheelbase online but the one i have says 14 wheelbase
[close]

Says 14 or is 14?

People who have had it from when it first came out said it was 14.25 wb, so maybe don't go with the sticker and measure the board and see.

Overall it is 8.38 (Full shape) x 32 with 14.25 wb, from all accounts, but I still haven't seen one in person, only seen very hi res pics and read specs, etc.

If it is the usual DLX sticker, round size sticker in silver foil, it might be the wrong sticker someone put on the board, or someone could have swapped it out at some point too.  Seen both of those situations, so although not common, it can easily happen.

* Not trying to be a dick, but I am curious now.  Which graphic is the one you got?  I think the yellow one was the most recent, from a couple of pages back on here.
[close]
says 14 and is 14, i measured. there’s no way i could skate a wheelbase under 14.25. pretty bummed i still can’t try this shape yet. it’s this one, note the sticker: https://laborskateshop.com/products/krooked-mike-anderson-eyeballs-skateboard-deck?_pos=5&_fid=a20a81d8a&_ss=c
[close]

Yeah, I got a close up of the sticker and that is a totally different board, at 8.38 x 31.75 with 14" wb, which is the new Tru Fit Mold size.

That one is different to the usual Manderson shape, which was as shown here on the normal listing 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb but is clearly the same graphic on a different deck:

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2023

That board shape and size is the one people had shown before, but comes up better here:

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2023/

I had noticed some shops had put up the short board listing for the normal 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb (which is what I skate) but if they are mix and matching the different shapes with the standard graphics, then things could get weird, just like you.  Expecting to order one thing and getting another.

That is not fun.

* Had you bought it, or were you just looking at it?  If you bought it, I would be returning it ASAP as it is different to what is listed and also asking the shop to talk to DLX about their board sizes / shapes with specific graphics, maybe more so if that is going to be the new Manderson shape going forward.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2022 on: June 16, 2023, 06:17:04 PM »

New Krooked catalog is up, I see now, which has the new (old shape) Manderson board in it, so Manderson fans be happy!!!

https://krookedskateboarding.com/summer-2023

@LebowskisRug was it this graphic you saw today?  Guessing / hoping so!   :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2023 on: June 16, 2023, 09:22:28 PM »
I saw both of those axtually

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #2024 on: June 17, 2023, 12:48:25 AM »
Man, dunno why but i really dig vertical graphics with solid black nose and tails. So good

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2025 on: June 22, 2023, 03:40:29 AM »
I saw both of those axtually

Curious as to that first sticker, which had his name on it but the Tru Fit shape dimensions, as per what the other person saw and posted.

Either way, they might have started to change them over then people said NO and they kept it in the lineup.

Who knows?!?!

On the topic of the Manderson shape, I finally saw and stood on one last night, as someone had the Simplicity graphic that has not been out so long here, the deck changed out, but still in fairly good shape, so I could compare it to others I am more familiar with.

It was actually smaller than I had thought, from reading posts from others, but it was still around the same width as my other normal 8.38 but stubby / full kicks, as I expected.

Sort of reminded me of a slightly wider 8.25 Full SE board, which has the same 32 length with 14.25 wb.

Not the same exact board, but the same shape anyway:

Manderson 8.38

Real 8.25 Full SE

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2026 on: June 22, 2023, 05:42:16 AM »

New Krooked catalog is up, I see now, which has the new (old shape) Manderson board in it, so Manderson fans be happy!!!

https://krookedskateboarding.com/summer-2023

@LebowskisRug was it this graphic you saw today?  Guessing / hoping so!   :)

I grabbed the Manderson board on the left from my local the other day. Rejoice confirmed.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2027 on: June 22, 2023, 06:14:31 AM »
my truefit experience has been less than stellar, even tho i am the target market: i’m maybe 5’8”, but i have short legs, all torso/neck (super cool looking, and not at all even more accentuated into ridiculousness by sagging baggies and long untucked t’s).
reading the exchange above between @pizzafliptofakie and @LebowskisRug, the thing that jumps out to me is that although the length is right where i want it to be, overall, the length of the nose and tail are greater than i normally like.
fuck man…i just don’t want to go down this road. i basically started this account to only annoy people on what’s now tates corner, because i was to embarrassed to constantly annoy people in real life, about setup stuff. and i think i wanted to buy some used indy ti’s or something off of the marketplace (everyone had sized up and i just couldn’t hang with trucks over 8”).
im still really stoked to hear about what the pro’s rode when and where, and i am interested reading strangers opinions about setups, but for some reason length of the kicks just feels like a bridge too far.
for some weird reason, i think i was mainly just frustrated, i bought a griffin gass shaped board, even tho it’s just not my size: 8.5x14.5x32. it skated great. i kinda knew it was because the tail was the same as the 7.75 from them (their size guide is really nice).
goddamnit.

anyways, yeah, the truefit feels funky, for me. it feels alot like an 8.125x14x31.75 april i have. there is some weird tape delay feeling when i go to pop. because the levers on that board are too long as well. i’m sure it would workout it adjust foot positioning further down the ‘kick’ (i really don’t like that term, and i’m not sure why, maybe it’s because some people used to say things like ‘yeah you are really just rocking those kicks’, and it’s such a bummer).

the truefit feels like a scenario that PS would have known how to massage out a little better.

the kelly (?) green eagle, the 7.81, i could skate that and be stoked, wish it was an 8, because i don’t feel like 5.0s on the daily. that’s a similar length, but it feels correct and not off.

should have just done some exercises other than for my thumbs

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2028 on: June 22, 2023, 06:22:02 AM »
At this point I have to imagine the True Fit demographic is like, low end of 5 foot tall. Even at 5'7 I felt like I was skating one of these

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2029 on: June 22, 2023, 06:33:23 AM »
At this point I have to imagine the True Fit demographic is like, low end of 5 foot tall. Even at 5'7 I felt like I was skating one of these

I laughed. Hard. Well played. Needs Connie Fulls, though. :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2030 on: June 22, 2023, 06:40:06 AM »

ha, maybe?
i’ve skate boards that are the same length, give it take: that small eagle, the crail 7.75 has a sub 14” wb, and those felt fine.
it feels like there are just some factors i don’t/won’t understand. i’ve bought boards that the numbers would have indicated as being something i’d do ok with, and gotten terrible results. when people started talking about trucks, effective wb, there seemed to be this desire to plug in the number and then boom skate god. the truefit, on paper, seems made for what i thought i wanted.
and a fair amount of skaters are short. i think it’s easier for short folks. my center of gravity low, i’d have to be way more skilled, strong, if i was taller.

i’m stoked dlx made these, it’s why i grabbed one. there are probably populations that will appreciate this, down the road. hopefully the opposite of how my kickflips have remained totally jacked, because i learned them, as a 4’+ tall child, on an almost 10” deck that had no nose, and a 15” wb.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2031 on: June 22, 2023, 06:44:49 AM »

Near me it's dudes on Aces that push to Mach 6, then setup and coast for 30 feet to do a slower than average slappy of some sort. With the short wheelbases and Aces the wheels basically touch when the trucks articulate and the turning radius is shoulder width.

I did see a dude skating the big bowl at the park on one with rails and carving a bit and I normally see him on a shape that resembles my 2 year olds drawings of airplanes.

caked

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2032 on: June 22, 2023, 10:57:47 AM »
I retired my true fit board after about a month, it was giving me an injury and I suspected it was too short so I went to my local on Monday and got it all sorted out.

turns out the 8.06 true fit is the I mold - the steepest. no fucking wonder my popping leg was hurting every time I skated. my calf injury made sense once we cut the grip out and saw that stamp.

the wheelbase/deck length is just a bit too short for me. I'm 5'6" and it felt a bit cramped from the start but I powered through because I wanted to like this deck so much. ah well, not for me. switched to a 8" 14.25 wb theories board, more mellow.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2033 on: June 22, 2023, 02:39:42 PM »
They should just make fewer 14.38wb boards and use 14-14.25wb more often.  Great shape and dims otherwise

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2034 on: June 22, 2023, 08:41:35 PM »
They should just make fewer 14.38wb boards and use 14-14.25wb more often.  Great shape and dims otherwise

Rather, they should make fewer 14-14.25wb decks, and make more 14.38.

Fooj

« Reply #2035 on: July 06, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »
Has anyone seen the 8.5 Praman Red Oval in real life yet?
The sticker in the pics released so far says its the bigger 8.5(32.18/14.38), really hoping its actually the 31.85/14.25 shape. Either way ill probably get one for the wall. Love his skating.

EagleassMF

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2036 on: July 06, 2023, 01:20:43 PM »
The sticker in the pics released so far says its the bigger 8.5(32.18/14.38), really hoping its actually the 31.85/14.25 shape. Either way ill probably get one for the wall. Love his skating.

It’s the one that actually measures 8.5.

Pretty sure the short one is actually 8.38 with a 14.2 wheelbase.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2037 on: July 07, 2023, 06:49:29 AM »
Does anyone recall what the tail on the old 8.18 x 31.84 board was like? Was the wheelbase 14.38? I can't find it on any of the recent catalogs and the old ones didn't list wheelbases. I assume it's not in rotation anymore.

I usually try to seek out short, 14" WB boards but I recall skating really well on that 8.18 shape. I'm someone who could easily skate a 13.5 WB as long as the tail provides a good pop angle. I'm only 5'7 and I do my tricks with my feet closer together than most people so it doesn't feel like my stance is swallowing a short wheelbase. That said, I'd like to get comfortable skating boards with WBs up to 14.38. I haven't gone above anything over 14.125 in a while, but that 8.18 shape is evidence that I can skate well on those boards.

Fooj

« Reply #2038 on: July 07, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s the one that actually measures 8.5.

Pretty sure the short one is actually 8.38 with a 14.2 wheelbase.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2039 on: July 07, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »
I setup an 8.4 Grimple I forgot to return and honestly I'm really pleasantly surprised. I normally find 14.25 decks kinda twitchy and cramped but this thing feels more stable than the DLX 8.25 to me. Really enjoyed it.