Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233386 times)

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2040 on: July 07, 2023, 03:55:50 PM »
As an absolute kook of a man - please tell me why DLX markets shapes that are supposed to be correct, but then aren’t?

And then tell me why TrueFit is a marketable thing? Shouldn’t they have made every board be true to measure from the beginning?

Why not just call them shorter shorts for shorties?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2041 on: July 07, 2023, 08:17:17 PM »
Does anyone recall what the tail on the old 8.18 x 31.84 board was like? Was the wheelbase 14.38? I can't find it on any of the recent catalogs and the old ones didn't list wheelbases. I assume it's not in rotation anymore.

I usually try to seek out short, 14" WB boards but I recall skating really well on that 8.18 shape. I'm someone who could easily skate a 13.5 WB as long as the tail provides a good pop angle. I'm only 5'7 and I do my tricks with my feet closer together than most people so it doesn't feel like my stance is swallowing a short wheelbase. That said, I'd like to get comfortable skating boards with WBs up to 14.38. I haven't gone above anything over 14.125 in a while, but that 8.18 shape is evidence that I can skate well on those boards.

That size and shape used to be so common, so yes it was 8.18 x 31.8 with 14.38 wb, tail most commonly like the shorter 8.5 board when I got a blue eagle and compared the two, with slightly less on the nose than the blue eagle - pretty much bang on 6.5 tail length.

When I realised the 8.12 had a longer 6.7 or so tail, I stayed on that one from then on, so I have quite a few of the 8.18 boards still in a box here, mostly one of each of the main graphics I skated back then for nostalgia.

Still have at least one set up too, even though it is pretty beat up now.

Funny that for a shape that was so common, it is completely done now, with the 8.12 still being made and the 8.25 more common.

I do recall when the 8.18 Full board came out, it was 8.18 x 32 and I was so tempted to get one just to compare to the older one, but I held off and stayed on wider boards anyway.

It looks like a good shape too.

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2042 on: July 07, 2023, 08:20:14 PM »
As an absolute kook of a man - please tell me why DLX markets shapes that are supposed to be correct, but then aren’t?

And then tell me why TrueFit is a marketable thing? Shouldn’t they have made every board be true to measure from the beginning?

It is a funny thing, some are wider, some are not as wide, when measured against their size stickers.  The 8.38 is more like 8.5 and the 8.5 x 31.8 is more like 8.3 wide, just for starters.

As to what, how, why or anything else, who knows, but even one old blue eagle I have from way back is actually 8.5 wide and definitely has more width than a current blue eagle I got not too long ago, just to check and compare shapes and sizes, so somewhere along the way, something changed and it stayed that way.

I also saw the newer 8.75 boards are now listed as 32.5 long, which seems correct, as they were listed as longer on the sticker, but all the other dimensions were correct.

Sometimes too the taper of a board will make people think it is different, eg the 8.5 x 31.8 and the 8.75 boards have a lot of taper, but the 8.38 and 8.62 are straight through and stay wider than the comparable boards when put back to back.

As to the Tru Fit shapes, I guess like anything they had to get a catchy name for the change, but the main thing is for smaller people to have a smaller board, specifically the length and wheelbase, as there are a lot of skaters of shorter or smaller stature.

Being a taller individual, I prefer the existing shapes and bigger boards, but I have already seen a few people benefit from the Tru Fit boards, so there was definitely a market for it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2043 on: July 07, 2023, 09:33:10 PM »
What other brand makes a shape similar to the Anti Hero 8.4? Limo has a shorter WB and is kinda the blue Eagle, can't think of many brands that have ~8.38, are ~32 and ~14.25. Don't wanna ride a Tony T or Robbie Russo deck

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2044 on: July 08, 2023, 12:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is a funny thing, some are wider, some are not as wide, when measured against their size stickers.  The 8.38 is more like 8.5 and the 8.5 x 31.8 is more like 8.3 wide, just for starters.

As to what, how, why or anything else, who knows, but even one old blue eagle I have from way back is actually 8.5 wide and definitely has more width than a current blue eagle I got not too long ago, just to check and compare shapes and sizes, so somewhere along the way, something changed and it stayed that way.

I also saw the newer 8.75 boards are now listed as 32.5 long, which seems correct, as they were listed as longer on the sticker, but all the other dimensions were correct.

Sometimes too the taper of a board will make people think it is different, eg the 8.5 x 31.8 and the 8.75 boards have a lot of taper, but the 8.38 and 8.62 are straight through and stay wider than the comparable boards when put back to back.

As to the Tru Fit shapes, I guess like anything they had to get a catchy name for the change, but the main thing is for smaller people to have a smaller board, specifically the length and wheelbase, as there are a lot of skaters of shorter or smaller stature.

Being a taller individual, I prefer the existing shapes and bigger boards, but I have already seen a few people benefit from the Tru Fit boards, so there was definitely a market for it.

True Fit seems like another version of Real's "FULL" & "FULL SE" models they used to make, but slightly tweaked
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2045 on: July 08, 2023, 04:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

True Fit seems like another version of Real's "FULL" & "FULL SE" models they used to make, but slightly tweaked

They definitely cater to more specific needs of certain groups.

I still have a box of FULL shaped boards as well as quite a few set up and I found them to be really good for what I wanted at the time, but I am not really skating anything big enough to need to use them right now, although I am sure sooner or later I might feel the need to set another one up again.

The Full SE shapes worked a bit better for people who were not quite so big or wanted more a street tech type of board, rather than a big long beast of a board, which is what the FULL shapes were to me.

Also kind of interesting they are not making Full SE or Tru Fit past 8.5 sizes, where the NHS Stumps series goes right up to 9" with 14.25 wb and shorter overall length, as an example.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2046 on: July 08, 2023, 12:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone recall what the tail on the old 8.18 x 31.84 board was like? Was the wheelbase 14.38? I can't find it on any of the recent catalogs and the old ones didn't list wheelbases. I assume it's not in rotation anymore.

I usually try to seek out short, 14" WB boards but I recall skating really well on that 8.18 shape. I'm someone who could easily skate a 13.5 WB as long as the tail provides a good pop angle. I'm only 5'7 and I do my tricks with my feet closer together than most people so it doesn't feel like my stance is swallowing a short wheelbase. That said, I'd like to get comfortable skating boards with WBs up to 14.38. I haven't gone above anything over 14.125 in a while, but that 8.18 shape is evidence that I can skate well on those boards.
[close]

That size and shape used to be so common, so yes it was 8.18 x 31.8 with 14.38 wb, tail most commonly like the shorter 8.5 board when I got a blue eagle and compared the two, with slightly less on the nose than the blue eagle - pretty much bang on 6.5 tail length.

When I realised the 8.12 had a longer 6.7 or so tail, I stayed on that one from then on, so I have quite a few of the 8.18 boards still in a box here, mostly one of each of the main graphics I skated back then for nostalgia.

Funny that for a shape that was so common, it is completely done now, with the 8.12 still being made and the 8.25 more common.

I do recall when the 8.18 Full board came out, it was 8.18 x 32 and I was so tempted to get one just to compare to the older one, but I held off and stayed on wider boards anyway.

You are consistently incredibly helpful and informative. Thank you.

I'm stoked I was remembering the wheelbase being over 14.25 correctly. It was at a time when I would occasionally measure WB but wouldn't really let it inform my decision about buying a board. Width was my main concern and overall length second.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2047 on: July 08, 2023, 04:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You are consistently incredibly helpful and informative. Thank you.

I'm stoked I was remembering the wheelbase being over 14.25 correctly. It was at a time when I would occasionally measure WB but wouldn't really let it inform my decision about buying a board. Width was my main concern and overall length second.

That was actually about the same for me - I was really only looking at the width back then, so going up from around 8" which felt small, I thought the 8.12 was not wide enough and quite hard to get in quantities I wanted but the 8.25 was too wide for the 139s I was running on boards back then, so the 8.18 was just nicely in the middle and they came out every single drop so there were lots everywhere, especially the team graphics which were on pro wood but had the lower price more often than not, so I bought up as many as I could find from 2005 to 2008 or so.

Funny how that works, now I am way more interested in all the specs of a board, maybe more so length of tail for my own skating, more transition based than anything, but it is also pretty cool checking out all the boards from old catalogs, if not the graphics, at least all the options for size and shape, which have changed significantly over the years.

DanRar009

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2048 on: July 14, 2023, 02:39:34 PM »
Does anyone know if real still makes the 8.5 x 32.18 shape? I think it has a 14.38 wheel base. I’m skating an old renewal deck that has that shape and I love it so much I can’t retire it yet because I can’t seem to find an 8.5 with the slightly longer length and wheelbase

BSslappysOnly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2049 on: July 14, 2023, 02:51:43 PM »
Grimple has an 8.5 x 32.18 in their last drop

DanRar009

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2050 on: July 14, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
Grimple has an 8.5 x 32.18 in their last drop

Dope thank you I’ll check it out graphic doesn’t matter much as long as it has those specs

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #2051 on: July 14, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »
Does anyone know if real still makes the 8.5 x 32.18 shape? I think it has a 14.38 wheel base. I’m skating an old renewal deck that has that shape and I love it so much I can’t retire it yet because I can’t seem to find an 8.5 with the slightly longer length and wheelbase
The new Patrick Praman board has those dimensions
https://upriseskateshop.com/products/patrick-praman-oval-pro-deck-8-5

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2052 on: July 14, 2023, 04:08:40 PM »
Tom Knox debut krooked boards are those dimensions
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2053 on: July 14, 2023, 05:49:22 PM »
Does anyone know of another brand that makes a shape like the 8.4?

Width: 8.38
Length: 32
Nose: hair under 7
Tail: 6 9/16

Kicks are pretty standard not full or square, not Baker pointy, concave is mild. Was thinking maybe GX or Limo?

unsane

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2054 on: July 14, 2023, 09:11:42 PM »
Just skate the BA18 shape and FTW!!!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2055 on: July 14, 2023, 09:46:17 PM »
Does anyone know of another brand that makes a shape like the 8.4?

Width: 8.38
Length: 32
Nose: hair under 7
Tail: 6 9/16

Kicks are pretty standard not full or square, not Baker pointy, concave is mild. Was thinking maybe GX or Limo?

I had a look around from last time you asked, but didn't really find a whole lot and forgot to reply.

This time I was looking more at the 8.4 through 8.3 sizes and these came up from places like Tactics, given you are in USA:

Magenta 8.38 or 8.4 depending on where you look is similar, but I would check in person somewhere first.

Frog 8.38 shows almost those dimensions

https://www.tactics.com/frog/chris-milic-put-your-toys-away-838-skateboard-deck

Limosine as someone else said, almost those dimensions

https://www.tactics.com/limosine/hugo-boserup-poor-sinners-838-skateboard-deck/green

Even this Toy Machine board looks like it has those dimensions too

https://www.tactics.com/toy-machine/axel-happy-home-838-skateboard-deck

I also got hold of some 917 boards on sale not too long ago that were about those dimensions, in the 8.38 size.  I thought they were going to be longer, more like the DLX or Baker 8.38 but no, they were 14.25 wb and about 32 long.

Funny thing is that 8.4 is such a specific shape, so it might be hard to get something very much like it, but lots are sort of like it, if that makes sense, so it is just down to how close you want it to be compared to the DLX shape, or factor in things like price, graphic, or whatever else.

slipperywhenwet

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2056 on: August 13, 2023, 05:44:15 PM »
After riding the 8.5 true fit board for a few weeks I can easily say that it is my favorite board. I just wish they were easier to come by.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2057 on: August 13, 2023, 06:33:56 PM »
Ben Degros mentions he's testing new decks then on YouTube one of them is a "8.25 Anti Hero Eagle" except it's not grey. Wonder if it's a new Chinese deck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2058 on: August 13, 2023, 11:06:27 PM »
Ben Degros mentions he's testing new decks then on YouTube one of them is a "8.25 Anti Hero Eagle" except it's not grey. Wonder if it's a new Chinese deck.

I wonder if he is riding the black eagle which is 8.125 really???

Had a lot of those over the years and I put 139s on them, then 144s when they came out.

Makes sense if he is saying the tail is too long and the board is also long, because people have often said it was 8.25 more so than 8.125, given it is 32 long, 14.25 wheelbase and 6.75 tail, which is what I really liked about it.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #2059 on: August 17, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »
been a minute since i looked but i was thinking BA had an 8.5 x 32.75 x 15 wheelbase and had been so stoked to get that. i think i heard it on the nine club. but...his shape doesnt appear to be that size. anyone got a lead on something like this? would love DLX but not opposed to basically anything else.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2060 on: August 17, 2023, 05:37:35 PM »
been a minute since i looked but i was thinking BA had an 8.5 x 32.75 x 15 wheelbase and had been so stoked to get that. i think i heard it on the nine club. but...his shape doesnt appear to be that size. anyone got a lead on something like this? would love DLX but not opposed to basically anything else.

The BA board was like a slimmed down orange eagle, but it was still fairly wide at 8.8 x 33 with 15 wb, last seen in the Spring 2023 catalog.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2023/

Some others, which may be sold out or otherwise unavailable include:

https://www.thereskateboards.com/products/night-garden-chandler-burton-8-5

Chandler Burton debut pro board

8.5 x 32.6 x 14.69 wb

DLX 8.5 long shape, which is 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb, last seen as the Real Volcanic deck from a while back.

There is also the usual DLX 8.62 x 32.5 which is more like 32.75 long with a confirmed 14.75 wb and readily available on pretty much every brand in every catalog, which is a good shape if you do want a longer board that is not overly wide.

Might not be quite what you are looking for, but I think that is about it for that sort of shape.  I don't really recall seeing any 8.5 with 15" wb in a popsicle that was readily available everywhere, only a few more minimal runs that either sell out fast or don't seem to be available in most places.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2061 on: August 21, 2023, 07:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wonder if he is riding the black eagle which is 8.125 really???

Had a lot of those over the years and I put 139s on them, then 144s when they came out.

Makes sense if he is saying the tail is too long and the board is also long, because people have often said it was 8.25 more so than 8.125, given it is 32 long, 14.25 wheelbase and 6.75 tail, which is what I really liked about it.

Yeah, I’m finding I really like this shape because it feels like a small board with big kicks. Works really well for lazy, lanky olds like me.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #2062 on: August 25, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The BA board was like a slimmed down orange eagle, but it was still fairly wide at 8.8 x 33 with 15 wb, last seen in the Spring 2023 catalog.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2023/

Some others, which may be sold out or otherwise unavailable include:

https://www.thereskateboards.com/products/night-garden-chandler-burton-8-5

Chandler Burton debut pro board

8.5 x 32.6 x 14.69 wb

DLX 8.5 long shape, which is 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb, last seen as the Real Volcanic deck from a while back.

There is also the usual DLX 8.62 x 32.5 which is more like 32.75 long with a confirmed 14.75 wb and readily available on pretty much every brand in every catalog, which is a good shape if you do want a longer board that is not overly wide.

Might not be quite what you are looking for, but I think that is about it for that sort of shape.  I don't really recall seeing any 8.5 with 15" wb in a popsicle that was readily available everywhere, only a few more minimal runs that either sell out fast or don't seem to be available in most places.

thanks so much dude! have a gnar. i ended up grabbing the cream eagle, which i believe is that 8.62 shape you're referring to. still a smidge shorter than the shape i was skating for like 10 years when i measured it, but i got hurt a few years ago and havent skated so i dont think i can be THAT picky right now. just need to get back out there before its too late.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2063 on: August 30, 2023, 05:30:00 PM »
got no answers in the 7.75 thread, still curious about this. any ideas?

So I was checking out the 7.81 green eagle on Skatepark of Tampa website, and I noticed they had two sizes - 31.4 (which I always recall it being), and 31.75.  Anyone know what the 31.75 is?  Maybe the new China Deluxe decks?

no good answer, but found some images -

from DLXSF themselves in spring 2015

a sticker from what i'm assuming is a more recent 7.81

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2064 on: August 30, 2023, 07:23:13 PM »

Expand Quote
So I was checking out the 7.81 green eagle on Skatepark of Tampa website, and I noticed they had two sizes - 31.4 (which I always recall it being), and 31.75.  Anyone know what the 31.75 is?  Maybe the new China Deluxe decks?
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

@Thebird

I am guessing it might not even be a change in the board size, but more a change in the stickers.  Seen that happen before, went to check and the board was still the same as the older ones, but the size sticker had been corrected.

Of course as you said, that older catalog might have been that longer size and at some point they shortened it to fit in with what they wanted and someone somewhere has put up info from an old catalog or whatever.

Until you see it in person, I wouldn't put too much stock in things like that.

All the other shop listings I have just looked at had the length as 31.3 or 31.4 which seems like it is the correct length.

* I don't think the China boards will be any different in size, as well as the eagles all still being 100% made by BBS in Mexico, as per the press release.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2065 on: August 30, 2023, 08:54:03 PM »
i don’t even skate bbs boards but a flat 7.8 eagle is dope, because of the length. i could skate those forever and be happy.
but i won’t. because i like to complain.
well, i also don’t like bbs boards, then shits are too concaved. but every now and then you see a flat one. there was a flatty at the shop and i passed it up, and now i think about how dumb that was

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2066 on: August 31, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

@Thebird

I am guessing it might not even be a change in the board size, but more a change in the stickers.  Seen that happen before, went to check and the board was still the same as the older ones, but the size sticker had been corrected.

Of course as you said, that older catalog might have been that longer size and at some point they shortened it to fit in with what they wanted and someone somewhere has put up info from an old catalog or whatever.

All the other shop listings I have just looked at had the length as 31.3 or 31.4 which seems like it is the correct length.

* I don't think the China boards will be any different in size, as well as the eagles all still being 100% made by BBS in Mexico, as per the press release.

always appreciate your insight, thanks dude

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2067 on: September 01, 2023, 09:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

@Thebird

[close]

always appreciate your insight, thanks dude

The latest AH catalog is out now, as per link:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/fall-2023/

What I did notice there is the eagles now have the sizes with dimensions listed too, with everything pretty much as expected, although the green one is listed as per the previous question, 31.75 so that could be interesting for someone to actually look for a new one and check for you.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2068 on: September 02, 2023, 03:44:07 AM »
This might have been answered before, but my search attempts remained futile: would anyone know what "II" means on the top of the deck (in the middle of the front bolts) on my Antihero deck?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2069 on: September 02, 2023, 06:30:22 AM »
This might have been answered before, but my search attempts remained futile: would anyone know what "II" means on the top of the deck (in the middle of the front bolts) on my Antihero deck?

https://youtu.be/vAonUvMMOyo?si=nLNUxgR5jI9DEa-b
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre