Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233801 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2250 on: November 28, 2023, 03:02:05 PM »
Picked up a Real and AH deck on Black Friday, got some made in China ones. Super bummed as they’re not the correct size. Been on them for a couple years now but probably the end for me.

Purchased in Toronto, Canada

In what way are the boards not the correct sizes?

I know the catalog has one set of dimensions and the sticker on the board another, so are the boards the same as the stickers on them?

Given these are the first boards anyone has anything with "Made in China" on I am very VERY curious and of course want to know everything about them, but without being a clown about it, can you give a few more details please?

Also to stand on and flex, how are they compared to your other BBS boards you have had in the past?

So the Real board is the "blue eagle" 8.5 sized board according to the sticker, with the AH board being the longer 8.5 shape, which as you show are not the Real True Fit or the other AH shorter wheelbase board.

Is this something the Deluxe product warranty would cover?

It is definitely NOT a warranty issue, but it is something that can be addressed and then DLX might replace the boards with the right size.

Either way, if not happy with them, return them to the shop for starters, if still new in shrink wrap, before doing anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2251 on: November 28, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Picked up a Real and AH deck on Black Friday, got some made in China ones. Super bummed as they’re not the correct size. Been on them for a couple years now but probably the end for me.

Purchased in Toronto, Canada

[close]

In what way are the boards not the correct sizes?

I know the catalog has one set of dimensions and the sticker on the board another, so are the boards the same as the stickers on them?

Given these are the first boards anyone has anything with "Made in China" on I am very VERY curious and of course want to know everything about them, but without being a clown about it, can you give a few more details please?

Also to stand on and flex, how are they compared to your other BBS boards you have had in the past?

So the Real board is the "blue eagle" 8.5 sized board according to the sticker, with the AH board being the longer 8.5 shape, which as you show are not the Real True Fit or the other AH shorter wheelbase board.

Expand Quote

[close]

It is definitely NOT a warranty issue, but it is something that can be addressed and then DLX might replace the boards with the right size.

Either way, if not happy with them, return them to the shop for starters, if still new in shrink wrap, before doing anything else.

The dims match the sticker but not the catalog. Will post up some top down pics below. I will probably end up giving them away, not going to hassle a skateshop, they’re 150km away so would require shipping. For me, I live in a “skateshop desert” so ordering blind is my only option, and I only buy from brands who publish their dimensions on their own site to make sure I get what I’m after, which is wide board short wheelbase. I look up which graphics are on the true fit 8.5 shape and buy based on that.

My initial thoughts: The shape feels a little more “pointy” than the BBS 8.5 x 31.75 x 14.25’s I’ve skated in the past. Was on that shape for quite a bit before the true fits came out. There is no stamp, and they’re really mellow, like an IV. It’s stiff but not R7 stiff. Stiffer than a bbs board for sure. Little to no concave in the kicks. Kind of like a crail board of which I’ve skated many but not as nice feeling in the hand.  Most comparable to a Chinese Element deck I have.

LewFarrell

« Reply #2252 on: November 28, 2023, 04:14:57 PM »

L-R
Krooked 10 Curbmandments BBS True Fit 8.5x31.38x13.75
Anti Hero BBS 8.5x31.75x14.25
Real China 8.5x31.75x14.25
Anti Hero China 8.5x32.25x14.38

Real China 8.5x31.75x14.25

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2253 on: November 28, 2023, 04:26:24 PM »

The dims match the sticker but not the catalog. Will post up some top down pics below. I will probably end up giving them away, not going to hassle a skateshop, they’re 150km away so would require shipping. For me, I live in a “skateshop desert” so ordering blind is my only option, and I only buy from brands who publish their dimensions on their own site to make sure I get what I’m after, which is wide board short wheelbase. I look up which graphics are on the true fit 8.5 shape and buy based on that.

My initial thoughts: The shape feels a little more “pointy” than the BBS 8.5 x 31.75 x 14.25’s I’ve skated in the past. Was on that shape for quite a bit before the true fits came out. There is no stamp, and they’re really mellow, like an IV. It’s stiff but not R7 stiff. Stiffer than a bbs board for sure. Little to no concave in the kicks. Kind of like a crail board of which I’ve skated many but not as nice feeling in the hand.  Most comparable to a Chinese Element deck I have.

Thanks for taking the time with the reply.

I would definitely hit up DLX and let them know - they are good like that, so it is not you being a pain or anything, but it sure is frustrating when their own site says something, but their product, especially this new product, is not as stated, when most likely the BBS boards are those dimensions from the catalog, which are available in US shops on BBS wood, or at least that is what it seems from other people posting info and boards from the same drop in the DLX China thread here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127113.0

I am in Australia and we are getting those boards too, not the BBS boards, which is why I am almost too keen to hear and know what is going to arrive, so while Canada should maybe get the BBS boards being close enough, I guess that is not the case.  The exchange rate is similar, so seeing the new RRP for those BBS made boards, it is almost twice what boards were pre pandemic, which is why I guess they have had to look at options for cheaper products, but until I see them, stand on them and even maybe skate one of them, I am just reading any info I can see on them and am waiting...

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2254 on: November 28, 2023, 06:00:50 PM »
:(

Was it decided already that any country outside the US would be getting China, and US would still get Mexico?

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

LewFarrell

« Reply #2255 on: November 28, 2023, 06:09:21 PM »
Update: I contacted DLX sharing my feedback and they got back to me within an hour. Kudos to them on that. Perhaps I will focus on importing them from the States for the future. I think the BBS shapes are way higher quality, especially for the $115CAD MSRP.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2256 on: November 28, 2023, 06:12:48 PM »
Matt D rules.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2257 on: November 28, 2023, 11:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They should, is not what you paid for
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2258 on: November 29, 2023, 06:57:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Technically the warranty mainly covers manufacturing issues, but thanks to the awesome human beings at DLX, they seem like they are going to send out the BBS made DLX boards in the correct size / shape / graphics to him, which is very cool.

Sometimes the line between what they should do or just what they can do to keep someone happy is a little bit blurred but any which way, DLX recognised the issue, as per the post above, along with a very nice solution.

Always makes me happy to support DLX for what they do and the products that they bring out, even if sometimes things don't quite work out as planned.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2259 on: November 29, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Technically the warranty mainly covers manufacturing issues, but thanks to the awesome human beings at DLX, they seem like they are going to send out the BBS made DLX boards in the correct size / shape / graphics to him, which is very cool.

Sometimes the line between what they should do or just what they can do to keep someone happy is a little bit blurred but any which way, DLX recognised the issue, as per the post above, along with a very nice solution.

Always makes me happy to support DLX for what they do and the products that they bring out, even if sometimes things don't quite work out as planned.

not related to this situation, but in the past i felt like….whomever was doing the warranty fulfillment stuff probably quit skateboarding/hates skaters: just too much. too many asks. people see something good and take advantage.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2260 on: November 29, 2023, 07:55:57 AM »
I bet they can weed out the genuine issues from the moochers.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #2261 on: November 29, 2023, 08:01:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

not related to this situation, but in the past i felt like….whomever was doing the warranty fulfillment stuff probably quit skateboarding/hates skaters: just too much. too many asks. people see something good and take advantage.

yup, i remember there was this one guy on here that snapped a kingpin on an axled set of ventures and got new ones from the warranty, i think that's kinda wack.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2262 on: November 29, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

yup, i remember there was this one guy on here that snapped a kingpin on an axled set of ventures and got new ones from the warranty, i think that's kinda wack.
Surely they keep records of warranty issues, and if someone was making several requests they’d get the polite “nope. Sorry”.

There customer service has to be a big part of why they’re still in business after so long, and hopefully killing it $$. I like supporting them, and they make good products.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 03:47:22 PM by JM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2263 on: November 29, 2023, 02:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

It definitely happens at a shop level too.

I know some dudes who worked in skate shops and quit as they had to deal with the clowns and idiots a little too much, those exact sort of people who never want to pay for things but always want free or replacement stuff the first second something is a little worn, used, whatever.

It takes a certain type of person to deal with that sort of thing, but at the end of the day, anyone dealing with general public in similar roles will often get the sour taste in their mouth after too many encounters with that sort of customer.  I keep a big bag of fresh mints handy at all times...

Best thing to note is that it is not me personally that has to foot the bill for unhappy customer product issues, so if there is a viable issue, it gets approved or forwarded on to the relevant person / company.

Someone who has just snapped a board by landing wrong or broken trucks because the board got run over by a car is going to cry and complain but those sort of things are NOT covered by anything and even DLX and similar good will companies will not do a thing for them in those circumstances.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #2264 on: November 30, 2023, 03:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Surely they keep records of warranty issues, and if someone was making several requests they’d get the polite “nope. Sorry”.

There customer service has to be a big part of why they’re still in business after so long, and hopefully killing it $$. I like supporting them, and they make good products.

for sure, i had a f4 split in half while cruising and they sent me a new set, but that was an obvious defect. i had people come into the shop and ask for new trucks because their axle stripped, then i look at their set up and they have their wheels cranked down with 8 threads showing, like what did you expect?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2265 on: November 30, 2023, 04:08:18 AM »
Did you tell them that Ben Hur’ing it voids the warranty?

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2266 on: November 30, 2023, 12:49:03 PM »

I'm curious how many of this graphic are on Chinese boards...

The thing I found odd was the concave on the BBS 8.5" / 14" wb is noticeably steeper than any DLX board I've ever had/seen (closer to FA concave). I grabbed my son a True Fit 8.5" and he liked the added width but hated the 13.75" wb, so I was hoping the new AH short 8.5" would split the difference for him since he was fine with the 14" wb on the 8.38" True Fit he previously had. It came and as soon as I took it out of the box the concave took me off guard, but I kept my mouth shut hoping he wouldn't really notice it. A few sessions in he told me he was not comfortable on it at all and I ended up grabbing him a standard-size DLX 8.5" (the new Barbee graphic) after he stole my friend's Blue Eagle to take a few laps at the park and liked it way better. For my sanity, I compared the 3 boards and the AH is clearly a different mold with a concave that is not really "DLX-ish"...

Top is a Krooked Barbee Soulful Deck 8.5" x 31.8" w/ 14.25" wb

Middle is a Krooked Una True Fit 8.5" x 31.35" w/ 13.75" wb

Bottom is a Antihero Taylor Pigeon Vision 8.5" x 31.75" w/ 14" wb

Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #2267 on: November 30, 2023, 02:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm curious how many of this graphic are on Chinese boards...

The thing I found odd was the concave on the BBS 8.5" / 14" wb is noticeably steeper than any DLX board I've ever had/seen (closer to FA concave). I grabbed my son a True Fit 8.5" and he liked the added width but hated the 13.75" wb, so I was hoping the new AH short 8.5" would split the difference for him since he was fine with the 14" wb on the 8.38" True Fit he previously had. It came and as soon as I took it out of the box the concave took me off guard, but I kept my mouth shut hoping he wouldn't really notice it. A few sessions in he told me he was not comfortable on it at all and I ended up grabbing him a standard-size DLX 8.5" (the new Barbee graphic) after he stole my friend's Blue Eagle to take a few laps at the park and liked it way better. For my sanity, I compared the 3 boards and the AH is clearly a different mold with a concave that is not really "DLX-ish"...

Top is a Krooked Barbee Soulful Deck 8.5" x 31.8" w/ 14.25" wb

Middle is a Krooked Una True Fit 8.5" x 31.35" w/ 13.75" wb

Bottom is a Antihero Taylor Pigeon Vision 8.5" x 31.75" w/ 14" wb

For the American market, they are all still BBS, as far as others have said, but for everywhere else, they are mostly going to be from China in future drops, with a few notable exceptions, either some riders, or some sizes / shapes.

This is what others have said, along with seeing the pre books that have which boards are from where.

Those pics of boards from China are from a shop in Canada, so it seems like even that close to USA, they are going with the cheaper option, as the new BBS drops are significantly higher in price, almost pricing them out of the market for a lot of people, it would seem.

As to specific sizes, shapes or molds, the smaller / shorter wheelbase molds might be steeper overall, or you guys might have just got a steeper board / top of the stack, where others might not be quite so steep.  I am thinking they are steeper overall as others have also had similar stories re Tru Fit boards being a bit too steep for them.

All the other sizes and shapes are on older molds that seem like they have been around for a long time, so nothing is changing there, just the new Tru Fit they had to make new molds for.

With the development of manufacturing in China, they had to do whatever they did and as per that DLX reply above, seems like they have most of it covered but still not everything up and running yet, but for anyone still in USA I don't think you guys would even see any of these China made boards, or at least not yet, unless something else happens or they changed over completely to China for everything.

The boards NOT being made in China were the bigger shaped boards, some specific riders boards (not going to say who) and some special editions that might have been different to the usual or more basic molds that they have now set up over there in China, but the sizes and shapes should still mirror the same boards that DLX has had for a long time.  Just yet to wait and see if the concave and spoon kicks are the same, or anything else feels different to the usual BBS boards.

As to your question, the AH Pigeon series you have in USA is all still BBS, but it was on China boards for the rest of the world, so that would be 100% of them for non USA countries, along with the other DLX boards from that same drop.

All the AH eagles, Real ovals and Krooked eyes were still BBS made, according to the info people have provided.

Those shorter blue eagle shape 8.5 boards are very much loved by a lot of people, so at least you are on a winner there with those ones, given how popular they are and that they would never be hard to come by in whatever graphic runs, or the standard lines like the blue eagle if nothing else.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2268 on: November 30, 2023, 03:03:15 PM »
As to specific sizes, shapes or molds, the smaller / shorter wheelbase molds might be steeper overall, or you guys might have just got a steeper board / top of the stack, where others might not be quite so steep.  I am thinking they are steeper overall as others have also had similar stories re Tru Fit boards being a bit too steep for them.

All the other sizes and shapes are on older molds that seem like they have been around for a long time, so nothing is changing there, just the new Tru Fit they had to make new molds for.

The Krooked True Fit 8.5” is stamped II, the new AH with a 14” wb is stamped II and the standard 8.5” Krooked Barbee is stamped III. The thing I was taken a back by was the True Fit and Standard 8.5” have a almost identical concave whereas the new AH one off shape is noticeably steeper which leads me to believe it wasn’t pressed on the same mold as the True Fit. The width concave is deeper, but the visual standout is the nose and “hips” which are way deeper. Strange times we live in 😂

Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2269 on: November 30, 2023, 10:44:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Krooked True Fit 8.5” is stamped II, the new AH with a 14” wb is stamped II and the standard 8.5” Krooked Barbee is stamped III. The thing I was taken a back by was the True Fit and Standard 8.5” have a almost identical concave whereas the new AH one off shape is noticeably steeper which leads me to believe it wasn’t pressed on the same mold as the True Fit. The width concave is deeper, but the visual standout is the nose and “hips” which are way deeper. Strange times we live in 😂

I still haven't seen any of the Tru Fit boards in person yet, so can't comment on them, but I have definitely seen some very steep molds of other boards I have bought, when the previous boards were not at all near that steep I had bought before, so it is definitely possible some of those boards were pressed on other presses, same as FA or similar boards, as they are all shorter wheelbase and length but significantly steeper than the average BBS boards.  They were both a steeper angle of kick and deeper middle concave, which lines up with what you are saying there.

Seems more plausible than some other options anyway.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2270 on: December 01, 2023, 04:37:59 PM »
i wonder if the china made ones will have single deck press, or the roman numerals.
if single deck, whats the median concave they would use?

LewFarrell

« Reply #2271 on: December 01, 2023, 06:01:09 PM »
i wonder if the china made ones will have single deck press, or the roman numerals.
No roman numerals on mine. Both decks I have, which are different shapes, have roughly the same concave. I would equate them both to a IV. Almost no concave in the nose and tail.

^ Compared to a I

^ Compared to a III

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2272 on: December 01, 2023, 06:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No roman numerals on mine. Both decks I have, which are different shapes, have roughly the same concave. I would equate them both to a IV. Almost no concave in the nose and tail.

Compared to a I

Compared to a III
dang, i usually try to ride a I or II. ill have to watch out for these.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2273 on: December 01, 2023, 07:59:31 PM »
opposite i’m gonna be paying import prices for the foreign flatties

EagleassMF

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2274 on: December 02, 2023, 07:53:34 AM »
This has probably already been discussed to death, but has anyone moved from the standard dlx 8.25 to the 8.38 dreamer?

I thought I had to have a 14.25 wb (thanks Ben D) until I switched to 14.38 and found that much better. I’m 6’ and size 11 shoe.

Ive been on the 8.25 exclusively for over a year now and am getting the madness itch to try to step it up again. I want the board to be a little bit wider but that extra WB and length makes me thing it’s going to hinder my flat ground.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2275 on: December 02, 2023, 09:21:15 AM »
This has probably already been discussed to death, but has anyone moved from the standard dlx 8.25 to the 8.38 dreamer?

I thought I had to have a 14.25 wb (thanks Ben D) until I switched to 14.38 and found that much better. I’m 6’ and size 11 shoe.

Ive been on the 8.25 exclusively for over a year now and am getting the madness itch to try to step it up again. I want the board to be a little bit wider but that extra WB and length makes me thing it’s going to hinder my flat ground.
I can tell you experience backwards:

I ride 8.38 exclusively and wanted to try to land flip tricks better (maybe land a 360 flip), but need longer wheelbase for turning stability when going super fast (plus it just feels better to be able to spread out the stance).

I tried the 8.25w 14.38 WB and it didn’t do shit for my flip game, except let me slip out a little more on turns.

So take that and flip it: you might not notice any problems with your flat ground. Maybe a little, but not enough to completely destroy your flat ground. The board may spin (360 and 180 way) just a tiny bit slower because of the wider wheelbase. Flips should not be affected much since it’s the width of trucks that would affect that longways flipping/spinning.

The extra width on the deck feels nice on the feet (going from 8” to 8.5” was heaven, but 8.38 is a great middle ground).

Good luck. Have fun

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2276 on: December 02, 2023, 09:23:27 AM »

I religiously ride the 8.25/14.38 with Forged 144s and 53mm Classics. However, I am currently riding an 8.38 with Forged 149s (and 53mm Classics). It's def a bit heavier. It's def a tad bigger, and also a bit more stable...but I am liking it. If I was suddenly forced to ride one board, for the rest of my life, it would actually be the 8.38. Why? Because I also ride a good amount of transition, and the slightly bigger 8.38/149s makes things a little more stable on bigger ramps (which is to say the 8.38 is a better all-purpose deck). On flat, things do feel a tad more clunky, but that might also be the 149s. I hate serious magic carpet, so I'm not doing 8.25 trucks on the 8.38, but I imagine 8.25 trucks would make it flip a bit easier. IMHO, anyone that likes DLX shapes (and DLX in general) should give their 8.5/14.25, 8.25/14.38, and the 8.38/14.5 decks a serious try at some point, as those are the real staples.

So, yeah, try one. :)

EDIT: Note I am saying essentially the same thing as the post directly above mine.     
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2277 on: December 02, 2023, 10:25:05 AM »

Yes, I did and liked it. It feels nimble, more stable, better pop, and I like the shape of the kicks better. It also feels a bit flatter on average which I also like. It feels more stable without feeling bigger. I've had it with both Thunders and Indy's and liked it most with Thunder 148s.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2278 on: December 02, 2023, 01:51:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, I did and liked it. It feels nimble, more stable, better pop, and I like the shape of the kicks better. It also feels a bit flatter on average which I also like. It feels more stable without feeling bigger. I've had it with both Thunders and Indy's and liked it most with Thunder 148s.
You’re so right: the 8.38 nose and tail look so much better than the 8.25. Forgot all about that.

The thunder 148s also really do work well with them. Superb snap. It’s like DLX made the board and trucks to go together 😆

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2279 on: December 02, 2023, 02:51:59 PM »
You’re so right: the 8.38 nose and tail look so much better than the 8.25. Forgot all about that.

100% total opposite for me.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre