Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233755 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2280 on: December 02, 2023, 03:13:09 PM »
opposite i’m gonna be paying import prices for the foreign flatties

It's funny hey?!?

I have stocked up on the DLX / BBS wood boards, so no worries for me, but I think these new ones are going to be the main wood here for us in the future.

As for others like you in USA, I am sure they will probably get them in at some point, as it is cheaper overall, but as to when or in what quantities, who knows.

So many questions, but I will wait and see what comes in here in a couple of months anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2281 on: December 02, 2023, 03:59:24 PM »
Expand Quote
You’re so right: the 8.38 nose and tail look so much better than the 8.25. Forgot all about that.
[close]

100% total opposite for me.
I can’t stand “full” shapes that are all shovel.

You?

Cause the 8.25 doesn’t have as nice a taper as 8.38.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2282 on: December 02, 2023, 05:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This has probably already been discussed to death, but has anyone moved from the standard dlx 8.25 to the 8.38 dreamer?

I thought I had to have a 14.25 wb (thanks Ben D) until I switched to 14.38 and found that much better. I’m 6’ and size 11 shoe.

Ive been on the 8.25 exclusively for over a year now and am getting the madness itch to try to step it up again. I want the board to be a little bit wider but that extra WB and length makes me thing it’s going to hinder my flat ground.
[close]

Yes, I did and liked it. It feels nimble, more stable, better pop, and I like the shape of the kicks better. It also feels a bit flatter on average which I also like. It feels more stable without feeling bigger. I've had it with both Thunders and Indy's and liked it most with Thunder 148s.
[close]
You’re so right: the 8.38 nose and tail look so much better than the 8.25. Forgot all about that.

The thunder 148s also really do work well with them. Superb snap. It’s like DLX made the board and trucks to go together 😆

Do I dare try it with 5.6s? Will the WB so long I fucking implode when I 180?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2283 on: December 02, 2023, 05:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You?

The 8.38 is shaped like an anal suppository.

EDIT: I don’t like super full shapes. I hate more rounded/pointy shapes. The 8.25 (and 8.75) are the perfect middle ground between the two, at least for me. My 8.38 rides nice, but man, I don’t really like looking down at it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:06:22 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2284 on: December 02, 2023, 06:52:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You?

[close]

EDIT: I don’t like super full shapes. I hate more rounded/pointy shapes. The 8.25 (and 8.75) are the perfect middle ground between the two, at least for me. My 8.38 rides nice, but man, I don’t really like looking down at it.

Lol.

Well, I guess a stair jump credit card should be avoided at all cost, then. It would just be devastating.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2285 on: December 02, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This has probably already been discussed to death, but has anyone moved from the standard dlx 8.25 to the 8.38 dreamer?

I thought I had to have a 14.25 wb (thanks Ben D) until I switched to 14.38 and found that much better. I’m 6’ and size 11 shoe.

Ive been on the 8.25 exclusively for over a year now and am getting the madness itch to try to step it up again. I want the board to be a little bit wider but that extra WB and length makes me thing it’s going to hinder my flat ground.
[close]

Yes, I did and liked it. It feels nimble, more stable, better pop, and I like the shape of the kicks better. It also feels a bit flatter on average which I also like. It feels more stable without feeling bigger. I've had it with both Thunders and Indy's and liked it most with Thunder 148s.
[close]

The thunder 148s also really do work well with them. Superb snap. It’s like DLX made the board and trucks to go together 😆
[close]

Do I dare try it with 5.6s? Will the WB so long I fucking implode when I 180?
If you’re not prepared for the god-tier smooth style that will emanate from the slow spinning, it will most certainly destroy you.

That kind of power must be treated with the utmost respect, and will require at least a medium tall orange cone of flat ground Ollie height.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2286 on: December 02, 2023, 08:06:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You?

[close]

See I actually like it. It's tapered, but not a Baker, which is truly a horrific look-down. The Baker 8.4 shape is the worst board to have to look at when you're skating it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2287 on: December 02, 2023, 08:33:40 PM »
oh fuck no: baker is the shit (some old toy machines had this too and it was lovely). are you referring to the b16 as the 8.4 shape? that shape is the shit.
dlx 8.38, olive green eagle, very nicely shaped.
i’m down for pointy flat anal suppositories, ya’ll are wrong wrong

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2288 on: December 02, 2023, 10:27:47 PM »

The thought of "different boards" coming out in the 8.38 size (or any size really) has got me thinking about buying a few more of these usual BBS 8.38 boards while I can.

This could double as a post in the madness thread too, but goodness knows, I don't need any more.

We shall see...

Keeping me entertained with the shape options talk here at least.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2289 on: December 03, 2023, 01:16:07 AM »
...but not a Baker, which is truly a horrific look-down. The Baker 8.4 shape is the worst board to have to look at when you're skating it.

HARD facts.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2290 on: December 03, 2023, 04:47:35 AM »
I would love to ride the DLX 8.25 more if it actually was 8.25, not close to 8.38.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2291 on: December 03, 2023, 06:37:22 AM »

The thought of "different boards" coming out in the 8.38 size (or any size really) has got me thinking about buying a few more of these usual BBS 8.38 boards while I can.

This could double as a post in the madness thread too, but goodness knows, I don't need any more.

We shall see...

Keeping me entertained with the shape options talk here at least.
All this chatter about the boards being different concaves and whatnot from China made me pull the plug on an unnecessary extended Black Friday purchase.

It’s the great Covid US toilet paper rush all over again. 

*as for shape talk… how far back is the conversation about improper deck storage that warps the concave? Let’s really set the madness off. ;D

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2292 on: December 03, 2023, 10:06:22 AM »
I would love to ride the DLX 8.25 more if it actually was 8.25, not close to 8.38.

I often see this claim made, and I will never understand it. I religiously ride the 8.25. I've measured every one I've had. They are all 8.25. None have been closer to 8.38. I just took this video of my current one. Dead-on 8.25.

https://imgur.com/a/ZrQjiJQ

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2293 on: December 03, 2023, 10:47:08 AM »
I skated an 8.5 Heroin (all over eyeballs graphic) and it kinda looked like the pointy nose Baker that visually looks wrong to me, except it felt/looked slightly fuller when actually compared to Baker 8.5 that did have that classic pointy nose.

I did enjoy that Heroin. I love Baker, always have, but I haven't loved their shapes since 2008 once I started to find my taste in shapes (medium concave, slightly full nose, slightly tapered tail - Black Label/Polar/Primitive/The Killing Floor/etc.) That's because Baker's standard shapes seem to be that awkwardly pointy nose one :(

Do any DLX brands use that Baker mold from BBS or is that exclusive to Baker (and maybe Deathwish?) with that super tapered pointy nose?
Super Champion Fun Zone

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2294 on: December 03, 2023, 12:10:54 PM »

Just look at this anal suppository. It’s beautiful.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2295 on: December 03, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I often see this claim made, and I will never understand it. I religiously ride the 8.25. I've measured every one I've had. They are all 8.25. None have been closer to 8.38. I just took this video of my current one. Dead-on 8.25.

I'll try to get a pic of the one in my garage later but it's dead on 8.3ish. All the ones I've measured have been.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2296 on: December 03, 2023, 12:15:21 PM »
I skated an 8.5 Heroin (all over eyeballs graphic) and it kinda looked like the pointy nose Baker that visually looks wrong to me, except it felt/looked slightly fuller when actually compared to Baker 8.5 that did have that classic pointy nose.

I did enjoy that Heroin. I love Baker, always have, but I haven't loved their shapes since 2008 once I started to find my taste in shapes (medium concave, slightly full nose, slightly tapered tail - Black Label/Polar/Primitive/The Killing Floor/etc.) That's because Baker's standard shapes seem to be that awkwardly pointy nose one :(

Do any DLX brands use that Baker mold from BBS or is that exclusive to Baker (and maybe Deathwish?) with that super tapered pointy nose?

Not DLX but all the Limo boards are very pointy. The closest DLX might be the 8.5 or 8.38 but neither are quite as dramatic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2297 on: December 03, 2023, 10:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll try to get a pic of the one in my garage later but it's dead on 8.3ish. All the ones I've measured have been.

Goodness this is NOT going to turn into a measuring comp, so come on guys, whose is bigger?!?!?

Really though, that looks like almost 1/16th more than 8 and a quarter from the video too, eg 8 and 5/16ths or even 9/32 which sounds ridiculous, but I am not that worried any which way.

With the mm / cm measurement, it comes out at a touch over 210 mm, even 211 which is a touch more than 8.25

8.25 = 20.955 cms

8.26772 = 21 cms

8.307087 = 21.1 cms

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 10:59:56 PM by Mbrimson88 »

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2298 on: December 03, 2023, 11:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'd understand it if the deck you measured were close to 8.38, as many of mine have been. Glad that you've been lucky with the dims.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2299 on: December 03, 2023, 11:21:39 PM »

Just look at this anal suppository. It’s beautiful.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2300 on: December 04, 2023, 03:01:04 AM »

I could never say who used it first, but the 8.38 is the common shape through all those brands - Baker Boys dist, DLX, Kayo, etc with the same concaves too - had way too many of them, so some are more mellow and others are more steep, but they all seem like they are the same molds.

Other shapes all seem different though, but the 8.5 you talk about is a good one and common throughout BBS / Generator as well, well rounded and not pointy like the Baker 8.475 or 8.38 shape, but DLX 8.5 with 14.38 wb is a bit more pointy too, with a few people saying they didn't like it, although I had a lot of them a while back and they skated well.

I made the decision to stick with 14.5 wb boards though, so that BBS 8.5 along with the DLX 8.38 seem to be the two I usually go with.  The 8.5 for the more burly stuff and the 8.38 for the more nimble stuff.

Said that quite often before so sorry for going on about it over and over.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2301 on: December 04, 2023, 05:56:45 AM »

I made the decision to stick with 14.5 wb boards though, so that BBS 8.5 along with the DLX 8.38 seem to be the two I usually go with.  The 8.5 for the more burly stuff and the 8.38 for the more nimble stuff.

Holy shit I haven’t seen or heard anyone use the term “burly” in two decades.

You just made my day. \m/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2302 on: December 04, 2023, 03:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

HAhahah yeah wow, sometimes I look back and think what was going on - up late and not enough sleep or whatever.

Any which way, the 8.5 size do give me a bit more than the 8.38 boards do in terms of length of tail and overall feel, even though there are minimal differences, so I guess the shape reference stands.

Meaning =  large and strong; heavily built.

What does Burly mean in slang?
(slang) Originating from surfer culture and/or Southern California. An expressive term to mean something is of large magnitude, either good or bad, and sometimes both.

* Also sorry for being a bit neurotic in this thread.  Getting weird about board sizes is not really something that bothers me, but I might have annoyed others with specifics of some sizes / shapes or whatever.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:17:27 PM by Mbrimson88 »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2303 on: December 04, 2023, 03:53:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

HAhahah yeah wow, sometimes I look back and think what was going on - up late and not enough sleep or whatever.

Any which way, the 8.5 size do give me a bit more than the 8.38 boards do in terms of length of tail and overall feel, even though there are minimal differences, so I guess the shape reference stands.

Meaning =  large and strong; heavily built.

What does Burly mean in slang?
(slang) Originating from surfer culture and/or Southern California. An expressive term to mean something is of large magnitude, either good or bad, and sometimes both.

* Also sorry for being a bit neurotic in this thread.  Getting weird about board sizes is not really something that bothers me, but I might have annoyed others with specifics of some sizes / shapes or whatever.
We would have arguments about pros.

“He’s burly”
“He’s tech”
“You can’t be burly AND tech… you have to choose”
“Pros that are burly are not tech, and vice versa”
“I’m more burly, and you’re more tech”

lol, kind of embarrassing but there you go growing up in a small town in the south. Very far from California.

PeteP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2304 on: December 08, 2023, 01:35:05 AM »
Just got the AH Joe Buffalo deck labelled as 8.5x31.8x14.25 (made in Mexico).
I can confirm the width is off, narrower than my previous dgk 8.38x32.25x14.5.
The length is spot on, the wheelbase is a hair shorter.
To my surprise both decks taper the same amount (width measured over the bolts closer to the tail) and kicks are the same length (I guess thats due to the shorter wb on the 8.5. I measured them from the bolt holes to the tip). Both decks have nice round kicks, not too pointy, although I remember somebody here stated that the 8.5 has a smaller and pointier tail.

Im pretty tall and my previous 4 decks were all 8.38x32.25x14.5 and that shape has treated me well. The only reason I got the shorter 8.5 this time is that all 8.38s available in my area have awful graphics and bottom/top plys colors. Hope that it won’t be too short for my liking. Enough of this nerdy stuff and madness… Maybe someone will find this rant helpful. Here are the measurements for both shapes:
8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5:
8.45 x 32.16 x 14.5

8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25:
8.38 x 31.8 x 14.2
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:48:58 AM by PeteP »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2305 on: December 08, 2023, 05:07:57 AM »
If I measure absolute edge to absolute edge, my 8.38 (both of them) are close to 8.5.
If I measure only the top ply where my feet are touching, they are a hair wider than 8-3/8” (8.375”)

So, 8.38 seems about right if you measure the stepping surface.

Is that how you all measure?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2306 on: December 08, 2023, 07:11:01 AM »
Saw an 8.5 PP eagle made in Mexico. Wonder if it would be shitty since PP bit Mexico.....?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2307 on: December 08, 2023, 08:34:53 AM »
If I measure absolute edge to absolute edge, my 8.38 (both of them) are close to 8.5.
If I measure only the top ply where my feet are touching, they are a hair wider than 8-3/8” (8.375”)

Edge to edge with a nice woodworking square is always 8.38 for that deck. I was at a shop last week and compared for shits and giggles and it is dead even with the standard 8.38 as well. I think it's pretty well documented in this thread somewhere (with pics), but I've had friends that have skated them almost exclusively for yeaaaars and their measurements agree.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2308 on: December 08, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
Saw an 8.5 PP eagle made in Mexico. Wonder if it would be shitty since PP bit Mexico.....?

They are still BBS, but price point quality, so for someone who doesn't snap boards easily, it should hold up fine, but for someone who goes through boards, I would not really recommend it.

I had quite a few of them, still do actually, just to see what they were like and they hold up fine for me, but others haven't lasted a session for some people.

Just got the AH Joe Buffalo deck labelled as 8.5x31.8x14.25 (made in Mexico).
I can confirm the width is off, narrower than my previous dgk 8.38x32.25x14.5.
The length is spot on, the wheelbase is a hair shorter.
To my surprise both decks taper the same amount (width measured over the bolts closer to the tail) and kicks are the same length (I guess thats due to the shorter wb on the 8.5. I measured them from the bolt holes to the tip). Both decks have nice round kicks, not too pointy, although I remember somebody here stated that the 8.5 has a smaller and pointier tail.

Im pretty tall and my previous 4 decks were all 8.38x32.25x14.5 and that shape has treated me well. The only reason I got the shorter 8.5 this time is that all 8.38s available in my area have awful graphics and bottom/top plys colors. Hope that it won’t be too short for my liking. Enough of this nerdy stuff and madness… Maybe someone will find this rant helpful. Here are the measurements for both shapes:
8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5:
8.45 x 32.16 x 14.5

8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25:
8.38 x 31.8 x 14.2

Expand Quote

[close]

Edge to edge with a nice woodworking square is always 8.38 for that deck. I was at a shop last week and compared for shits and giggles and it is dead even with the standard 8.38 as well. I think it's pretty well documented in this thread somewhere (with pics), but I've had friends that have skated them almost exclusively for yeaaaars and their measurements agree.

Yes, same here.

Blue eagle board is not as wide as the advertised 8.5

Green eagle board is wider than the advertised 8.38

Other shapes as per older posts.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2309 on: December 08, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »

Yes, same here.

Blue eagle board is not as wide as the advertised 8.5

Green eagle board is wider than the advertised 8.38

Yes.