Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 247123 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2670 on: May 22, 2024, 07:56:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wow, thanks. That 8.28 shape seems awesome. Length and wb are pretty much spot on with what kind of dims would probably suit my taste (and my forged Ventures) very well. Wonder what the tail length is?
[close]

It's the same 8.28 DLX has been producing for years. I've had a few of them, and if I remember it was like 8.4? It def felt a tad shorter.
[close]

Right. I guess it's not very common as per what shops are carrying, as I don't remember seeing much of that particular shape. Sucks if the actual dims are off.

I know some people don't like Tactics, but I find it is good to search for products and see what is going on out there.

Half a dozen 8.28 showing in stock there:

https://www.tactics.com/search/8.28

SPECS
SIZE   8.28
WIDTH (IN):   8.28
LENGTH (IN):   31.7
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.12
NOSE LENGTH (IN):   6.8
TAIL LENGTH (IN):   6.56

* I think this was the favourite shape of Frank Gerwer for a while, not sure if it still is, but others like Mason liked it too, for how short it was - wheelbase and length - but still had a fairly moderate width.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 729
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2671 on: May 23, 2024, 10:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Bummed not to see the 8.25 Full SE in the Summer catalogue. Really wish DLX would release that shape occasionally so I could stock up. Hands down one of my favorite 8.25 shapes ever.
[close]

Also bummed to see so few 8.25 Full Se lately. I guess one with a III or IV stamp with Indys would be similar to the new Easy Rider shape with Ventures Wheelbase-wise. Anyway, best 8.25 full shape out there…

This is the exact reason I don't really fuck with the DLX "novelty" decks--they are not produced regularly, and can be difficult to track down when they are (esp. if going for certain stamp number). I would be so bummed to try something like an 8.25 SE, to find out I love it, and then have to keep getting "lesser" substitutes.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: It's rad DLX trys new stuff, but they make too many products (too keep a constant production cycle). 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #2672 on: May 23, 2024, 12:47:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wow, thanks. That 8.28 shape seems awesome. Length and wb are pretty much spot on with what kind of dims would probably suit my taste (and my forged Ventures) very well. Wonder what the tail length is?
[close]

It's the same 8.28 DLX has been producing for years. I've had a few of them, and if I remember it was like 8.4? It def felt a tad shorter.
[close]

Right. I guess it's not very common as per what shops are carrying, as I don't remember seeing much of that particular shape. Sucks if the actual dims are off.
[close]

I know some people don't like Tactics, but I find it is good to search for products and see what is going on out there.

Half a dozen 8.28 showing in stock there:

https://www.tactics.com/search/8.28

SPECS
SIZE   8.28
WIDTH (IN):   8.28
LENGTH (IN):   31.7
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.12
NOSE LENGTH (IN):   6.8
TAIL LENGTH (IN):   6.56

* I think this was the favourite shape of Frank Gerwer for a while, not sure if it still is, but others like Mason liked it too, for how short it was - wheelbase and length - but still had a fairly moderate width.

That DLX 8.28 has been calling my name lately. I only wish the wheelbase on it was 14.25 but I could probably deal. Una Farrar's new model is really nice; it always seems like she gets the best art on Krooked.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/una-butterflies-828-skateboard-deck

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • sup dog
« Reply #2673 on: May 23, 2024, 06:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Random thoughts on new Real drop:

(1) Was surprised to see an 8.75/14.62 in their line up. Those bigger boards always seem to be 18/Krook.

(2) For long time Real graphics were pretty mundane and boring. In recent times, they have seemed a bit better/more interesting. This drop is going back to boring.

(3) The cathedral series needs to die, imho.

(4) Yeah, it's just the first summer drop, but for a summer drop, it seems thin. I feel like summer drops are usually chock-full of decks.
[close]

Replying specifically:

(3) The funny thing is those Cathedral decks always sell out everywhere.  People collect those things like nothing else right now, so for someone who rides a certain shape that is only released on a Cathedral graphic, good luck trying to find it.

Maybe the best damn time from seeing it on the shop wall, and then retiring it back to a wall, I will ever have skating ever.  Not sure I’ll ever be able to skate again that well: Gained weight (FUCK anti-depressants) and really wrecked my body skating “street” and getting to a point of more advanced stuff = more falling.

Kind of depressed about it all, but at least the deck on the wall will be a good reminder forever.     

(Every had purple under ply! It went perfect with the cathedral dip).

FUBAR

• Rep: 249
« Reply #2674 on: May 24, 2024, 02:14:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Bummed not to see the 8.25 Full SE in the Summer catalogue. Really wish DLX would release that shape occasionally so I could stock up. Hands down one of my favorite 8.25 shapes ever.
[close]

Also bummed to see so few 8.25 Full Se lately. I guess one with a III or IV stamp with Indys would be similar to the new Easy Rider shape with Ventures Wheelbase-wise. Anyway, best 8.25 full shape out there…
I just set up a Real 8.25 easy rider. If you haven’t seenit in person, check one out. It’s pretty “full” and it’s NICE

Gland Dongzig

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2675 on: May 28, 2024, 01:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I just set up a Real 8.25 easy rider. If you haven’t seenit in person, check one out. It’s pretty “full” and it’s NICE
Couldn’t agree more. I just set up the 8.5 and I hope these stay in production. It feels perfect with Ventures.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2676 on: May 29, 2024, 07:43:53 AM »
Anyone got actual width on the 8.28?

(I know it's been posted in here before, but I'm not weeding through all the pages to find it...)

Thanks in advance!

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

CarcassToss

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2677 on: May 29, 2024, 08:36:05 AM »
My friends son has that deck and it's between 8.38 and 8.5 straight across with a generic Standard measuring tape.

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #2678 on: May 29, 2024, 11:10:56 AM »

(I know it's been posted in here before, but I'm not weeding through all the pages to find it...)

Thanks in advance!

The Krooked 8.28 deck I looked at recently measured 8.25" straight across. I found that interesting because I'm pretty sure the DLX 8.25 actually measures more like 8 3/8" straight across. Think I read somewhere on here that DLX uses sizes to denote all their different shapes. As opposed to Crailtap that uses actual shape numbers for everything.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2679 on: May 29, 2024, 11:47:31 AM »
Damn! I didn't make the connection with the 8.28 Mason deck. I have that new baby blue eagle on the way. I thought it was something new—I hated that deck! It's too short for me. Oh well. I honestly thought it said 8.25 at first. Sure is pretty tho. lol

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #2680 on: May 29, 2024, 12:17:31 PM »
Damn! I didn't make the connection with the 8.28 Mason deck. I have that new baby blue eagle on the way. I thought it was something new—I hated that deck! It's too short for me. Oh well. I honestly thought it said 8.25 at first. Sure is pretty tho. lol

that baby blue is really sick.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2681 on: May 30, 2024, 01:43:36 AM »

Thanks in advance!

A couple of those 8.28 boards I had come through my hands were very close to the usual 8.25 DLX boards that you like so much, just shorter length and wheelbase.

I do get that some feel / measure a little more, some feel / measure a little less, so make of that what you will, but they still sit a couple of mm inside the 8.38s and 8.4 shape boards I also sized at the same time.

As others have said, it is deemed to still be 8.25 just different numbers to differentiate the shapes.

Even when those boards were measured in mm they were only 1 mm apart between half a dozen listings with other 8.25 DLX boards from that RF Skate webstore too - Japanese skate shop, with amazing / exact measurements on all their boards.

* I hadn't seen the post from @smg1138 but yeah, that is the same info

@Sedition  at least if in a shop in person were there are both boards, it would be interesting to see what you think of current stock

rikki

• Rep: 334
« Reply #2682 on: May 30, 2024, 02:05:47 AM »
As soon as anyone gets their hands on the baby blue 8.28, pretty please post real-ass dims. I've got the munchies.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2683 on: May 30, 2024, 08:04:02 AM »
@Sedition  at least if in a shop in person were there are both boards, it would be interesting to see what you think of current stock

It's honestly a question I have no bid'ness asking, or even thinking about. I've had a few of them (the 8.28s) before. Considering I think 14.25 WB is too short/cramped, do I honestly think 14.1 is going to be more likeable? But, well, madness. I've been thinking about toying around with a smaller WB deck for a bit...mostly for flatland, and I'm not really a fan of the 8.5. I won't touch any of the DLX "novelty" decks (SE, True Fit, etc.) until it's clear they are (a) not going away in two or three drops, and (b) are easier to come by. That leaves the 8.28 (if staying within DLX). Will I get one? God, I hope not. But once the itch is there...worse case scenario, the 8.28 is a great sized deck to give away to some smaller kid at a park. 

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 261
« Reply #2684 on: May 30, 2024, 08:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote

I see the Real Summer catalog is up, including the Real FULL 8.5 board as per pics / posts above, but also one new board shape in there, which reminds me a lot of the Dane 1 - the Nicole Hause shaped deck, as per pic below.

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-2024/

9.75 x 31.56 with a 14.1 wheelbase.

[close]
isnt that the jim t shape?

What size trucks are people running with this Jim T shape? 169s?

E

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2685 on: May 30, 2024, 09:42:58 AM »
Very disappointed with the lack of 8.25 FULL SE shapes recently. I bought a Tactics shop board in the meantime since it's $50.

If REAL drops the FULL SE 8.25 x 32 x 14.25WB for the Easy Rider because Ben Degros wanted his own shape I'm going to be bummed.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2686 on: May 30, 2024, 11:55:26 AM »
Like I said my friend's son exclusively skates the 8.28 because he thinks he's Mason Silva lol. It feels fucking terrible to me- the distance between the kicks feels non-existent. They ramp up almost immediately after the bolts and the 14.1 feels super short. If you don't like the 8.5 you won't like this one either. When I setup to kickflip on it my feet are hilariously close to the upper bolts and when I did a simple back 180 it felt like I was landing on the tips.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2687 on: May 30, 2024, 03:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I see the Real Summer catalog is up, including the Real FULL 8.5 board as per pics / posts above, but also one new board shape in there, which reminds me a lot of the Dane 1 - the Nicole Hause shaped deck, as per pic below.

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-2024/

9.75 x 31.56 with a 14.1 wheelbase.

[close]
isnt that the jim t shape?
[close]

What size trucks are people running with this Jim T shape? 169s?

Yes, pretty much the same "everything else" that I ride on the Sweatpants shape works on this size and shape board.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2688 on: May 30, 2024, 03:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's honestly a question I have no bid'ness asking, or even thinking about. I've had a few of them (the 8.28s) before. Considering I think 14.25 WB is too short/cramped, do I honestly think 14.1 is going to be more likeable? But, well, madness. I've been thinking about toying around with a smaller WB deck for a bit...mostly for flatland, and I'm not really a fan of the 8.5. I won't touch any of the DLX "novelty" decks (SE, True Fit, etc.) until it's clear they are (a) not going away in two or three drops, and (b) are easier to come by. That leaves the 8.28 (if staying within DLX). Will I get one? God, I hope not. But once the itch is there...worse case scenario, the 8.28 is a great sized deck to give away to some smaller kid at a park.

For sure!!

It is going to keep bugging you until you do get one, try it and see, etc.

More often than not, it was just interesting to see the different shapes in person, some I got, others I passed on / didn't buy at all, even fewer I kept of the smaller / shorter boards, but I still liked to have a try of them myself, or at least see what others thought of them once they set them up and offered a go of it.

skatebruh

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2689 on: May 30, 2024, 03:39:50 PM »
The 8.28 felt really fun to me with Indy standards. Squirrelly turn. Flip tricks took less effort. Nose manuals felt easier. The whole thing felt short so if you’re a larger human being, it’s probably not for you.

I’m now on the 8.25x32 with the 14.38 wheelbase and it feels good after getting used to it. It feels “normal” in a good way. Like a jack-of-all-trades do-everything board.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2690 on: May 30, 2024, 05:17:44 PM »

I’m now on the 8.25x32 with the 14.38 wheelbase and it feels...Like a jack-of-all-trades do-everything board.

Exactly. Which is why it is my most favorite deck, ever.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2691 on: May 30, 2024, 05:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure!!

It is going to keep bugging you until you do get one, try it and see, etc.

Well. It happened. I was a non-local shop today. They had one of those "revealing" 8.28 Lintells. II stamped, so I am going to "park" on it for a bit. We shall see...

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2322
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2692 on: May 30, 2024, 07:44:50 PM »
Stoked to have picked up an 8.5 FULL with the 14.6 WB.
Love those dims!
Been a minute since this shape been run, so I grabbed one with great haste, before they disappear again. Didn’t want to miss the boat a 3rd time, feel me?
I’m certain that NOBODY over at Deluxe ever, EVER reads anything of SLAP, but if they were to, per chance, happen by on some enchanted evening, or maybe some SLAP user has a friend that knows a guy in the warehouse, maybe you could get a message to the Deluxe guys to run that shape more than once a year?
It’s lovely.
Stays thick well up past the trucks.
Thick enough to make a brave man’s knees tremble, feel me?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2693 on: May 31, 2024, 02:41:18 AM »

Well. It happened. I was a non-local shop today. They had one of those "revealing" 8.28 Lintells. II stamped, so I am going to "park" on it for a bit. We shall see...

So you can now tell everyone else if it is wider than your usual DLX 8.25 board.  Also how much shorter it looks / feels too, but that is expected.

* I forgot to go measure the one or two I still have, but they are older ones so I wouldn't trust my measurements as much as I would a few newer boards.

Funny thing going through a half dozen new 8.75 boards I just got and a couple of them are way more pointy / tapered than others, like someone really went to town on the sander or something, because all other measurements are exactly the same, just the edges / sides of the kicks sit further in about half way between end bolts and tip of kicks.  Maybe not "way more pointy" but there is definitely a difference between a couple of them and all the rest of them, all the usual DLX 8.75 shape too, not any other shape options. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 03:45:16 AM by Mbrimson88 »

kickbacktail

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2694 on: May 31, 2024, 10:02:07 AM »
Long time lurker, wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. The length of the “standard” DLX 8.75x14.62 deck seems to vary based on where it is listed, are these actually subtly different versions of the same shape?
  • Most Anti-Hero catalogues list it as 32.5” long, but in the Krooked catalogues it is sometimes 32.5” and other times 32.62”.
  • My local has a few older BA Anti-Hero’s where the round DLX sticker actually says 32.75” LG, but when I find those same decks online they are listed at 32.5” and 32.62” long. This is the Usual Suspects and the Medicine deck, for reference if that matters.
I’m liking longer decks lately and want to just have a shape that I can reliably order but the variation in listed lengths is throwing me off. My next step would be to actually bring a tape to my local shop but that seems a little kooky.

mdspb

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2695 on: May 31, 2024, 11:57:19 AM »
32.62 is correct. Typos abound.
JAH SK8 SPB

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2696 on: May 31, 2024, 01:22:17 PM »
Long time lurker, wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. The length of the “standard” DLX 8.75x14.62 deck seems to vary based on where it is listed, are these actually subtly different versions of the same shape?
  • Most Anti-Hero catalogues list it as 32.5” long, but in the Krooked catalogues it is sometimes 32.5” and other times 32.62”.
  • My local has a few older BA Anti-Hero’s where the round DLX sticker actually says 32.75” LG, but when I find those same decks online they are listed at 32.5” and 32.62” long. This is the Usual Suspects and the Medicine deck, for reference if that matters.
I’m liking longer decks lately and want to just have a shape that I can reliably order but the variation in listed lengths is throwing me off. My next step would be to actually bring a tape to my local shop but that seems a little kooky.

On-line shops, and even DLX web sites, can not be fully relied on, unfortunately.* I've ridden a lot of the 8.75/14.62 decks. They have all been the same. I have a brand new one next to me right now (waiting to eventually be set-up). I just measured its length with a standard tape measure: 32.5 / 32.6.

Also, I've mentioned this to several people who are looking in the 8.75 range....give the Black Label 8.75/14.5 a hard look. The slightly shorter WB makes it feel way more nimble than the DLX 8.75, but still really solid. The DLX 8.75 has a 7.1 nose, too. Nose on the Black Label is like 6.9/7.0, if I recall, so it's also a tad shorter than the 8.75 DLX. Overall, the two are the same shape, too. Personally, the Label 8.75, I think, has supplanted the DLX 8.75 as my "big board," due to the WB on the Label being more versatile--it's a GREAT deck. 

*DLX web sites are usually more reliable. Usually.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 01:30:29 PM by Sedition »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2697 on: May 31, 2024, 02:37:18 PM »
Just got these in the mail.

Real Easy Rider 8.25:

•   Length (tip to tip): 32 inches
   •   Width: 8.25 inches
   •   Tail Length: 6 7/8 inches
   •   Nose Length: 7 1/4 inches
   •   Stamp Number: 1

Anti-Hero Baby Blue Eagle 8.28:

•   Length (tip to tip): 31 1/2 inches
   •   Width: Just over 8 1/4 inches
   •   Tail Length: 6 1/2 inches
   •   Nose Length: 7 inches
   •   Stamp Number: 3

Deluxe gods, could you please put the Baby Blue Eagle graphic on the Easy Rider 8.25 for me? Lol. The Real Easy Rider looks amazing—except for the graphic, of course. I'm not a Real fanboy at all…maybe the Huf era.

kickbacktail

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2698 on: May 31, 2024, 04:35:02 PM »
32.62 is correct. Typos abound.
Wild. AH fall drop shows the white eagle as 32.62 and a doobie as 32.5 in the same catalogue, then the physical stickers at my local say 32.75. It’s only 1/4” total but there’s such a small amount of information to proof-read, you’d think it’d be more accurate haha

Expand Quote
[close]

On-line shops, and even DLX web sites, can not be fully relied on, unfortunately.* I've ridden a lot of the 8.75/14.62 decks. They have all been the same. I have a brand new one next to me right now (waiting to eventually be set-up). I just measured its length with a standard tape measure: 32.5 / 32.6.

Also, I've mentioned this to several people who are looking in the 8.75 range....give the Black Label 8.75/14.5 a hard look. The slightly shorter WB makes it feel way more nimble than the DLX 8.75, but still really solid. The DLX 8.75 has a 7.1 nose, too. Nose on the Black Label is like 6.9/7.0, if I recall, so it's also a tad shorter than the 8.75 DLX. Overall, the two are the same shape, too. Personally, the Label 8.75, I think, has supplanted the DLX 8.75 as my "big board," due to the WB on the Label being more versatile--it's a GREAT deck. 

*DLX web sites are usually more reliable. Usually.
Appreciate the measurements and reco, I saw you praising it a few pages back. Might give it a rip but have been finding the longer WB more comfortable lately as I’m 90% legs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2699 on: May 31, 2024, 04:38:17 PM »

Exactly as the others said above me for the 8.75 board length, so although the DLX stickers used to say 32.75 for length, the newer ones say 32.62 and the board has always been more around the 32.5 to 32.6 overall length.

If you want longer boards, do you want longer kicks, or longer wheelbase or both?

What do you like as a wheelbase?

Have you looked at the 8.62 board?

The funny thing is the 8.62 is longer in both wheelbase 14.75 and overall length 32.7 or more, as well as being straight right through, whereas the 8.75 shape is way more blunt and a bit wider at 8.75 up front but is less than the 8.6 through the middle as it tapers towards the back.

I have a good number of both of them and find that they are both good for different things, but the 8.75 is a better all rounder, with the 8.62 being longer and I feel like it is a better board for big bowl / vert or if people want a really big long board for everything.

* Also note, the normal 8.62 is the longer board, but there is the Cardiel shape which is shorter, as per the Spring catalog.  They will probably have the Summer catalog out any minute now.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2024/